2011 Dodge Grand Caravan Passenger

6.8

Based on 261 Ratings for the 2008 - 2015 models.

7.4/10
    6.9/10
    7.4/10
    7.3/10

Good Car, Does the job.

By on Monday, October 13, 2014

Pros: "Good value, does the intended job."

Cons: "We listen to books on cd. It would be great if we"

"I have driven this car for 3 years for 45,000 miles. This is the second caravan that I have had and I am rather pleased with the performance an (knock on wood) reliability. The fold down seats are a real plus for me since we haul stuff more often than people. I don't understand the low ratings others have given this car. I think it is good value for the money."

A Minivan That Sadly Misses The Mark...

By on Thursday, October 02, 2014

Pros: "Price, Fuel Economy, Options for the dollar"

Cons: "Engine noise, Oil Pump issue, Transmission shift"

"The purchase of this minivan from Chrysler/Fiat comes with a few factors. The first and foremost was the price. The second was I have had previous experience with Chrysler and had no problems with them. I had owned a 2004 Concorde Limited 3.5L for over 10 years. It had over a 150K miles with no issues and I seriously maintain my vehicles. We donated the car to Kars4kids (book value of the Concorde was terrible) when we purchased our 2014 Grand Caravan. Of course 2004 was the last year of the Daimler/Chrysler deal. On to our 2014 Grand Caravan. We have a 3rd child on the way we needed the room in a vehicle to seat 3 children comfortable in their car seats. Admittedly we did look at the GMC Yukon XL, GMC Acadia and the Chevrolet Suburban. Price tags for those with the features we wanted put us well over $40K. So we then looked at the Toyota Sienna and Honda Odyssey. The Toyota and Honda were near the prices of the GM branded vehicles with the features we wanted, so they were a no go. So what was left were the Chrysler Town and Country, Dodge Grand Caravan and Hyundai, Kia and VW. The VW is basically a re-badged Crysler anyway and is out of production. So off to our local Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep dealer we went. The Town and Country and Grand Caravan share the same engine, suspension and sheet metal. As of recent information, the Grand Caravan is no longer going to be in production as of 2016. Chrysler/Fiat is trying to consolidate brands and focus the Dodge brand on the SRT market. In any event after hours at the dealership and comparing the Town and Country to the Grand Caravan feature to feature, we chose the 2014 Grand Caravan SXT. It has a bundle of features for the price and compared to the Town and Country, was THOUSANDS LESS. It is a nice drive on the highway and in the city. It is easy to park (especially with the rear view camera), it gets great fuel economy when in ECON mode (I am averaging 21.0 MPG in the city -hand calculated)and a tank of 87 Octane has given me a return of 478 miles. I personally use Sunoco fuels but have tried other brands and had similar numbers on a tank. Features like adjustable pedals, tilt and telescoping steering wheel, super console, rear DVD screen (only one in the middle as compared to two in the other brands and not blue ray), Stow N Go seating, GPS and Sirius/XM satellite radio made this one a top consideration. The sound system is not bad and serves it's purpose well. It came with two wireless headphones for the DVD system. It also has on the drivers side middle row, an HDMI connection with an standard house hold electrical outlet. Interior is quiet with all the windows up and whoever sits in the third row, has no problem holding a conversation with someone in the front seats. The conversation mirror above the front seats is a nice touch and allows us to monitor the kids. If you put the windows down wind level noise dramatically increases as expected for a van that is not as aerodynamic as the other makes of minivan's. Overall a nicely appointed interior and worlds above what Chrysler put into previous generation vehicles. The interior is a product of what I think Fiat has brought to the Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep brand. Now off to the engine and the problems I am experiencing. This engine at normal driving levels is quiet. Even at idle it is a quiet engine. If you smash the go pedal, this engine gets quite loud, especially in comparison to the other makes (notably the Sienna in our opinion was the quietest engine). It does have enough power to get up and go if you need to. I am having an issue with the most important part of this engine, and that is the OIL PUMP. After a few weeks of driving, I noticed a very loud whine at start up (cold starts) and it would continue as the engine was operating temperature. I took it back to my dealer and they gave me a loaner. They noticed the same noise and it took them 3 days and a call to Chrysler before they figured out that it was the oil pump. They replaced the pump with another factory unit (the second pump was already a superseded part number) and all seemed good. That lasted all of about 1 week before the noise returned. I again called my dealer and there is nothing they can do about it. I asked them to file a complaint on my behalf to Chrysler and they did. I have yet to hear back from Chrysler, but I am due for an oil change in about 500 miles so I will complain again. See my attached video of what the second oil pump sounds like. I am afraid of what the Winter months here in New England will do to this engine if this pump fails... The transmission while in ECON mode does a great job and it working as designed. It will skip a gear if it needs to, but the only downfall I have found is on hills, the computer does not down shift transmission like it should. I have to hit the go pedal for the downshift and then it goes. I only use the ECON mode in the city and it does have impressive fuel economy. If the ECON mode is off, fuel economy drops to about 18-19 MPG (hand calculated). Off to the factory installed roof rack. I don't know what the folks who designed the rack were thinking. It is not a "fully adjustable roof rack". The crossbars can be "deployed" or installed in three positions. The first crossbar can be installed at the front of the rack. The second crossbar is so close the third position (third position is the rear of the rack) it's almost useless. I purchased a Thule Roof Box and it can't be positioned to the rear of the roof as they are designed because of the locations that the crossbars must be in. If I install two crossbars (one on the front and the other to rear of the rack) I cannot secure the rear of the Thule Cargo box. I need about 6 more inches of adjust ability on the Thule Box. This could be avoided if the roof crossbars were fully adjustable (like my friends Sienna). My Grand Caravan had an MSRP of $30,275 and we purchased it for $25K (that does not include the 7 year/100K extended warranty). That is the reason we chose this model over the others. Looking back we wish we would have gone with the Sienna. Going with the Sienna would have cost us about 5K more and we would have lost the Stow N Go seating (which I have utilized). I cannot in good conscious recommend this minivan to you. The oil pump problem alone worries me that the longevity of this vehicle is not going to last me 10 years. Seriously TEST drive each make and model and decide for yourself. Unfortunate the price tag ultimately made the decision for us."

My video

This is the SECOND oil pump and this is cold start (first thing in the morning) The pump is very loud and you can hear the lifters. NOT GOOD!

Great room, gas milage, handling and visibility.

By on Thursday, September 18, 2014

"Did not know that a auto with this size could get such good mileage (28 to 32) with speed limit speeds. The fold down seats are the best. Other reports say that it is not quite but with my ringing ears who knows. I really love all the features for the price and mileages. I don't see how a family can go wrong with this auto."

This baby does it all, yes it's a minivan but wow!

By on Saturday, September 13, 2014

Pros: "Value, Cargo Space!"

Cons: "Its still a minivan."

"I personally was never going to EVER buy a minivan, because frankly they are about as boring as watching CSPAN at 2AM. Yes I have done that to put me to sleep! I rented this 2012 and then 2013 for 2 cross country trips and it turned me into a full convert. These things can do it ALL that SUV's can't with better MPG. Sure some of the styling of SUV's can be "cooler," but Dodge played it smart in 14 with the blackout package. That was the final straw for me to pull the trigger and buy. Love it!! You get R/T looks at an SE price. I absolutely love what they have done with the styling of the GC 30th Anny for 14. The blackout package was not merely "putting lipstick on a pig." It added the sense of, "yeah it's ok for a guy to drive this completely functional vehicle." Love the fact that I can have all the seats down in less than 5 mins and boom - cargo van. Then switch over just as fast to hauling the kiddos. The versatility of GC can't be beat. Disclaimer- I am partial to Dodge after having a 2001 Dakota for years and I personally would never buy a vehicle in which the worker wasn't treated fairly. I am 100% partial to American originated cars. I know these are made in Canada, but the real $ stays here, not vice versa like some imports that are merely "assembled" here. Never liked the look of the competitors imports anyway. My opinion, buy it, you'll love it."

Wonderful, carefree vehicle with room and comfort

By on Friday, September 05, 2014

Pros: "economical, roomy, high off road, low maintenance"

Cons: "resale value low, too few cup holders,"

"We have purchased three grand caravans in succession (every 5-6 years) and have thoroughly enjoyed each one. We plan to buy a fourth soon."