2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Passenger

6.9

Based on 288 Ratings for the 2008 - 2015 models.

7.4/10
    7.0/10
    7.4/10
    7.3/10

LOVE OUR 2010 GRAND CARAVAN SE

By on Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Pros: "Price, comfort, dependability, safety"

Cons: "Zero"

"We love our van. bought new almost 2 years ago and use mostly for road trips. Grand kids love going places in the van. Has been used by 2 of our daughters for their trips also. Have had absolutely "no" problems with this vehicle. Love the stow n go and all the room. Have traveled with 7 passengers and luggage comfortably. Roomy, comfortable, reliable. Only service was our regular oil changes and get 28mpg highway. Not sure of city mpg since we don't use for a lot of city driving and have never really noticed (if mileage was very low, I would have noticed). We are very pleased with this car. We purchased the base model with only a few options. Saw where someone had problems with keys and cost $900 but when we purchased this van I had extra key made for our daughter and only cost $45. Have the sliding doors, not power, and my 3 year old grand daughter can easily open doors. Great protection with side curtain air bags in all rows."

Bad transmissions

By on Saturday, February 11, 2012

Pros: "a lot of room, easy to drive"

Cons: "transmissions, wheel bearings, gear shifter"

"Have put in a new transmission every 30,000 miles, have had 3 set of wheel bearings put on, have had to have the dash removed and a new gear shifter put on. I have 88,000 miles on it. Unless I got the 1 lemon not my choice of a good vehicle. I do like the room and the fact that the seats fold down into the floor. Great for family if only not a lemon."

My 3rd Dodge Caravan. Can't stop going back.

By on Friday, October 04, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable seating, cargo room, versatile"

Cons: "Stow-n-go seats are difficult, should be automatic"

"Easy to maintain. Very comfortable seating and visibility. This one has a remote starter in it, as did all my others. Am afraid to think about trading down again but this is too much vehicle for one person."

Perfect vehicle for travel or just around town.

By on Monday, January 23, 2012

Pros: "Great value, versatile and functional"

Cons: "Haven't found any !"

"I gave up driving vans after I turned 30. I returned at age 55 and had forgotten how nice it is to have the versatility and functionality of a van. After purchasing this one, I found out why GM and others gave up on mini-vans. Hands down, Dodge has thought of everything regarding comfort and functionality. Excellent vehicle for this retiree !! Stow the rear seats and you really can fit a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood/drywall in back !! Amazing."

Nice, easy to handle vehicle

By on Thursday, October 20, 2011

Pros: "Stow-N-Go seats, good acceleration, dependable"

Cons: "Seat comfort, heat vents"

"Good, dependable vehicle. Just replaced brakes, no other maintenance needed other than 3,0000-4,0000 oil changes. I did replace the windshield wipers last spring. Very roomy for all seven of us. Decent gas mileage. LOVE the stow-n-Go seat flexibility. Cons: Stow-n-Go seats are not as comfortable as non-Stow-n-Go seats. The heat will not turn all the way off at times. But in winter, not enough heat on drivers left foot."

have had so many problems with this van

By on Thursday, November 11, 2010

"Do not buy.. especially if 2008!"

Regrets

By on Friday, October 08, 2010

"I bought this new off the floor in 2008. It had all the bells and whistles, and most of the have either broken off or had to be fixed. Items replaced or fixed: carpet, seat handle x3, tailgate trim(needs it again), computer recalibrated x5, left sliding door opens unexpectedly, brakes 1st year, back seat has folded down 3x with my grandsons in their carseats..hmmm..that's all I can remember, for now. I love the comfort & heat of the front and middle seats, DVD player, and the sound system. Will I get another one?????? NO!!!!!!!!! That's not even counting the lousy service at the Dealership. Opps! I forgot, 4 adults seat comfortably, don't try to put them in the backseat. You'll need a crane to get them out! maybe the jaws of life."

not bad, but could hope for better gas mileage

By on Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Pros: "comfortable"

Cons: "nothing bad to say, lol"

"no real complaints, enjoyable ride, for me anyway and i'm a pretty large guy"

love the looks

By on Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Pros: "roomy, stow"

Cons: "Powertrain probs, computer probs"

"have owned for less than 1 year. Have had PCM replaced twice. Headlight computer replaced. All new brakes and rotors. Been in garage 5 times now. Oil runs low constantly even though I am getting changed every 3 months. Not reliable. I love the interior and exterior and sliding doors! Love the stow and go. Kids love the back windows that roll all the way down. Roomy van and comfortable. Drives noisy and not smooth but normal for vans. I really hope we just got a lemon and not all are like this bc it really is a sharp looking van that I love to drive when it is problem free. We are looking into a new vehicle now."

Good vehicle for family with children

By on Thursday, February 16, 2012

Pros: "Good price comfortable to drive"

Cons: "Minimal bells and whistles but has necessities"

"Reliable vehicle that is comfortable to drive long distances. Decent gas mileage. Overall ideal vehicle for family with children."

Worst Vehicle Made

By on Tuesday, April 26, 2011

"We bought this van new in 2008. It gets terrible gas mileage, Dodge cannot make a fuel efficient vehicle, it has had way too many repairs to only have 50,000 miles on it, the engine uses oil and we have to take it to the dealership for them to check the oil consumption on the motor every 1000 miles, the interior is cheap made, the plastic rattles and breaks a lot. It has been in the shop several times for the transmission. I would not recommend a Dodge/Chrysler vehicle to anyone. This will certainly be our last. This truly is the worst vehicle we have ever owned."

The worst vehicle we have ever owned!

By on Monday, January 24, 2011

"We bought this vehicle brand new with no miles on it. We have had so many problems with the van that my kids refuse to get in it to go 1 mile down the road because they are scared of it. We were on the freeway going about 70mph and the rear brakes locked up and my family almost ended up under a cemi. The van doesn't start and has left us stranded many times in the cold with no way to get home. I have the back cargo area filled with blankets just in case I get stuck with my kids running to the grocery store. I don't think this is a safe vehicle as we could have been killed in nemerous situations in this vehicle. If you care about your families safety buy a different vehicle. I wish I could get rid of this but Chrysler/Dodge has made sure that that won't happen. Make sure you buy from a company that stands behind it's products and doesn't try to pass the buck onto you, the consumer, who just spent thousands of your hard earned money on garbage."

needs help

By on Monday, September 06, 2010

"We have owned 5 chrysler/dodge/plymouth minivans. We have been satisfied with all except the 2008 Dodge. While it is a great riding and driving van it has a mysterious transmission problem. It sometimes gives a jolt when stopping at a signal or intersection and then dies. The transmission has also just jumped out of gear. Along with this sometimes the key won't come out. The dealer has been great but can't find answers. Of course the brakes wore out."

You have got to be kidding Me

By on Monday, August 02, 2010

"42000 miles: Had to do a complete front brake job including rotors at 27000. Sliding doors have been repaired 5 times. Had to have the shift lever mechanism replaced at 25000. Constant gas cap, check engine lights. The battery died 3 days after we brought it home. It's a lemon. I will never buy another Dodge product. The 2008 model change was a big let down. Reliability is bad....don't believe me? Check out consumer reports."

Don't buy!

By on Wednesday, July 28, 2010

"Wheel fell off at 50,000 miles. All five wheel studs broke and wheel came off while driving. Power door tracks broken. Power doors intermittently work. Brakes replaced twice and only at 52,000 miles. A/C hose broke. Was told by Dodge it was a recall fix. Dealer wouldn't do as recall and made me pay. Horrible gas mileage. Uncomfortable ride. I wouldn't recommed this vehicle to anyone."

BE CAREFUL

By on Monday, April 12, 2010

"I leased this car new in 2008. The transmission started slipping at 6,000 miles! The passenger side door locks quit working at 10,000 miles. I only get 16 mpg. Took to dealership to fix. Transmission is slipping again at about 16,000 miles. Also, now driver door locks don't work! A/C went out at 20,000 miles (or sooner--not sure since it was winter time). Both power sliding doors intermittently will not work. Took to dealership again. They lubed them--but they still do not work sometimes. I would NOT recommend this vehicle. I had a 2006 before this and never once had a problem."

Great Mini-Van

By on Tuesday, December 29, 2009

"Have owned since new and have 16000 miles on it with no problems.Has plenty of power and room inside,love the stow away seats.Only complaint is the front brakes wear out to soon even under normal driving.Mechanic said he has changed out brakes at 10000 on a few ,he just told me I will need brakes very soon,lucky to get 16000 miles on them."

not as bad as some say

By on Wednesday, November 25, 2009

"Had this 2009 SXT for 6 months now (7000 miles) and so far its as good as you can expect. Especially with the rebates, everyone can talk about honda and toyota but you are going to pay more money. I just wanted something I could get the seats out of the way quick, had enough storage and didnt really care if the kids spilled something and this fits perfect. Power is good (3.8), mielage in the city is pretty bad but highway is great. My main gripes are poor sound insulation, it almost sounds like the sliding door window is open, you can hear cars plain as day when they right next to you. A little sound deadener in those huge rear doors probbaly wouldnt hurt. That and the center seat cupholder thing, seems silly to have none there and thats where passengers sit mostly. The sliding doors do some weird things at times but they have the threshold set so light, for safety I assume) that if its parked on a hill or something falls in the track they do weird things. But I would rather have them act goofy one out of every 100 times then get out of the van and open the door to pick my kids up from school every day. Or when I'm walking away with an armload of stuff I dont want to put down to close the door.. Lot of complaints on the cheap plastic on the inside, its really no worse then a lot of other cars/trucks, its just the panels are so huge you have to notice it. Not a big deal to me at all. Seeing you can buy one of these (SXT) new for around 25K or so its a bargain in my opinion if you just want a practical car to go on trips with kids or not feel bad like a civic driver picking up a 50" TV from Sears. Perfect no, does the job, yes."

Great vehicle, excellent on the road.

By on Thursday, February 20, 2014

Pros: "I love the vehicle."

Cons: "This is petty stuff!"

"Very good vehicle for daly use & road trips. excellent ride, comfortable seating and good fuel economy. Really don't have any critizism of the vehicle."

Many quality issues on parts.

By on Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable and versatile"

Cons: "Poor engineering standards, poor parts reliability"

"As an owner of these since 1989 over several different models, the 2008 model I have found to have many shortcomings not previously encountered, with what I consider to be serious parts quality issues. Front brake pads at 28K, and drums (described as too "thin to turn down"), Rear brake pads by 40K, now new front pads again, after only 23K, water in sliding door, short in some kind of spring sensor system in the steering column and even the tire mileage was pretty bad compared to previous models. I am literally afraid to drive this on a trip, afraid that it will break down on the road."

Love it!

By on Sunday, April 01, 2012

Pros: "Comfort ok mileage for everything I haul."

Cons: "See above."

"I'm a 45 yr old male, I drive for a living in sales. This van rules, about 24-26 mpg at 80 to 100 mph all the time sometimes 8 to 10hrs straight drive time. Only down fall electronic transmission module makes it shift hard and or slip. From day one, not because of my high rate of speed attitude. Dodge wouldn't do anything about it, but this van still hauls and very reliable."

Great family car!

By on Thursday, February 16, 2012

"I have four kids, and this is a very comfortable and convenient vehicle. It gets great gas mileage! Very roomy and affordable!"

Great retirement vehicle

By on Thursday, January 19, 2012

Pros: "Dual climate control."

Cons: "Black interior."

"My wife and I like to travel and it is comfortable with plenty of storage. On our last trip, which was over 4,600 miles, we got 25.5 mpg. That was actual, not the vehicles indicator."

Not the same van as before

By on Wednesday, January 18, 2012

"I just bought a 2012 Grand Caravan with the Crew package. The Grand Caravan has improved leaps and bounds compared to the older models. I have owed a 2005 Toyota Sienna XLE and have to say with much surprise this is a nicer van ever since they redesigned it. The new Pentastar engine is smoother and more powerful then my 3.3 V6 in the Toyota. I also am impressed with the handling and steering feel. I never thought I would own a Grand Caravan or another Dodge product but must say they are getting their quality back in line and fit and finish is first rate. The seats that folded into the floor looked uncomfortable but when I sat in them found them to be supportive and very comfortable. Take a look at the Grand Caravan, you will be surprised and end up saving about 5-7 thousand in the process compared to Honda and Toyota."

Great vehicle for kids

By on Friday, December 23, 2011

Pros: "Stow and go seating, DVD system for the kids."

Cons: "Bad Wheel bearings, brakes."

"Our 2009 has a DVD system and the kids love it! It drives and handles great, my wife is the primary driver and she loves it. We have had both front wheel bearings go out (replaced under warranty) and a rear wheel bearing just went out at 80,000 miles. Air conditoning had some warranty issues at 40,000 miles,and the brakes are definitly a poor lasting quality, they work great but ours wore out at around 40,000, all highway driving. Small electrical issues with the electric sliding doors. Overall very happy with unit."