2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Passenger

7.6

Based on 791 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

Will never buy this car again

By on Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Cons: "Low Quality"

"If you are looking to spend $1000-$2000 a year on repairs, then this is the right car for you. I have replaced the steering rack twice ($700 repair), the alternator, the rear A/C, some sensors, etc. A total piece of junk."

Good Van, Roomy

By on Friday, March 08, 2013

Pros: "Dependable, Roomy"

Cons: "Gas Guzzler"

"We drove a 2001 Dodge Caravan until it was totaled in a car accident in 2013. Bought it in 2008, never cost us more than oil changes, gas, tuneups, and tires. The van was beginning to creek up front, that may have ended up being something we would have had to fix, but the van was totaled before we could get it to a shop. Loads of room, could very comfortably fit 7. Well designed inside control panel."

Love this car. My 3rd Caravan.

By on Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Pros: "Great driver, hauler, and tows great."

Cons: "None."

"I have driven my previous Caravans to over 250000 miles each with little or no problems. Best family car on the road. Reliable and practical."

Poor reliability

By on Saturday, November 07, 2009

"Dodge always makes a good, full featured car. We originally owned a 2001 that was great up until 60K miles, and when it needed a major repair we traded to the 2005. We discovered many cost-cutting areas such as removing the light from the glove-compartment, removing color from icons on the doors and only leaving raised ridges among others. Brakes are notoriously poor, and will require complete replacement including rotors every 20K miles. We're at 80K and it's regular as clockwork, we're about to have our 4th set put on. Our blower motor has gone twice. Another major issue with these vans is the power sliding doors. The plastic tracks tend to twist and break. We have replaced the passenger side track twice at $300 each time, we have not bothered with the other side because it still manually opens OK. However, once the track breaks the door locks no longer operate so we have to lock and unlock that door by hand (reaching in and back from the front seat). The BCM module also is prone to failure, which controls the remote locks, etc. Sometimes you can fix it by pulling the fuse for 5 minutes and letting it reset, but other times you have to get it reprogrammed by the dealer. I have not had to go that far so I can't tell you what it costs. There have been numerous other repairs, but nothing that has been repetitive. Just an ongoing headache. The front end has had a strange sound from one week into owning that no dealer has ever been able to diagnose. Last, as another reviewer posted, you cannot fit 3 car seats across the rear bench seat. Just an item that needs to be noted if you have 5 kids as we do. Thankfully our oldest is big enough to not need one anymore. We are now looking at a Ford E350 or a Dodge Sprinter (made by Mercedes not Dodge) so that we can get rid of this thing before our next trip. Google these issues and you will find them repeatedly. BEWARE. It is an ok vehicle, but needs a lot of upkeep."

Real Dads drive minivans

By on Wednesday, April 02, 2008

"I had this minivan for almost 6 years and drove for 128K miles in it. We comfortably transported a family of six with luggage and baseball team gear. Fully load the minivan still had good acceleration and still averaged almost 21mpg hwy. The functionality and versatility of this vehical was awesome!!!! Repairs over the life of ownership consisted of replacing a fan motor for the A/C at 126K and a brake caliper at 98k. Not bad for a vehicle we drove to 13 different states."