2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Passenger

7.6

Based on 777 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

Best one we have ever owned

By on Monday, November 07, 2011

Pros: "easy to manuever, price is good"

"We have been driving this van for 6 years, put on 155,000 miles on it, stacked 5 children in it and have no complaints. I think for accessibility for car seats, ease of travel, and dependability this is hard to beat. Nothing like a ride you can count on. Yay for the DODGE CARAVAN SPORT!!"

To many problems

By on Sunday, June 15, 2008

"Bought it brand new in May 02, at 45k had to replace power steering pump, at 71500 had to replace ac condenser and compressor, at 71750 had to replace main engine computer ( thankfully the warranty was good to 72000), at 94,000 I had to replace the rack and pinion, I have maintained this per dodge mileage recommendations, and have been very disappointed with it's reliability. Driving comfort is very good and the 3.3 liter engine has a good bit of power"

Awesome minivan

By on Friday, May 16, 2008

"We bought our 2001 EX new. It's now 5/08 and havent had any major problems with it. Been at the dealer once for ac temp adjustments, and for one recall, but that is all. Bought it for 3rd car and was only using for road trips, but now use it for everyday. Just love it!!! Hubby is 6' 4" and didnt fit in others well so we choose the dodge, best choice weve made so far buying a car."

Pretty good van!!!

By on Tuesday, May 06, 2008

"We bought our 02 GrandCaravan ES AWD in Oct 01. We have put every single mile of 117,000 on it. I read up on the tranny issues (esp AWD)and bought the extended 100K warentee just for powertrain -- NEVER needed it!! I think the MAJOR difference is getting the towing pkg with the separate trans cooler. This van has been thru blizzards in CO, MN, KY, and OH. Hurricanes in AL, GA, and FL. VERY sure footed!! We put around 20K miles/yr on it -- in fact we take it everywhere: a testament to its comfort & convenience. I'm gunning for at least 200K before selling it -- most people cannot believe it's as old/many miles as it has. I can count on 1 hand the number of handwashes it has gotten in 7 yrs but uncountable trips thru the old automatic washers and paint sill looks great. It's a SHAME they dont make AWD in the new version -- in fact that is the only reason I'll be replacing it with a Sienna AWD and NOT for reliability issues others have already stated. Other than regular maintenace, the AC siezed at 99K (wore it out), new engine gaskets/seals at 110K (wore them out), and a freak exhaust weld failure that i thought blew up the engine (but only cost $85 to reweld), I love the 7500 mile oil change interval -- much to the ire of the auto care places trying to brainwash everyone into "EVERY 3000" Like someone posted previously, i definitely will try and pick up an 04 AWD if this one gets hit before 200K"

LOVE this van!!!!

By on Monday, February 04, 2008

"I bought my 2005 Dodge used almost 2 years ago at 20K miles. It now has 60K miles and is in the shop as I am typing, but only for regular stuff - tires, brakes & timing belt. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this van. We have taken it on many trips - from NC to FL, NC to NY, NC to CA.... We are going back to FL in 6 weeks and I have no doubts this car will take us there and back safely. We DO NOT pack light on our trips, but this car always has plenty of room for luggage and our two dogs. This is by far the best car to take on long trips. The seats are very soft unlike the hard seats they are putting in cars today - whats up with that? It can hold a whole sheet of plywood with the seats folded down. And with the seats out, it can hold a riding mower!!! : )"

Very Reliable Vehicle

By on Sunday, December 09, 2007

"We bought this van back in 2001, just before a trip out west. Through the Badlands, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons area. Only problem was a bad thermostat near the end of the trip. This vehicle has been a stellar performer for us over the years. Reliable, comfortable and decent mpg for a vehicle this size. We got our money's worth out of it.... Over 176,000 miles and going strong..."

Very Disappointed

By on Thursday, October 04, 2007

"I have owned this vehicle for 3 years. I bought it only 2 years old. For the price it is not worth the money. In the 3 years I have owned it, I have had to replace the breaks twice, two rust spots have surfaced on the both side doors (don't for get this car is only almost seven years old), shocks and strutts were replaced twice also and now I was told yesterday that the electrical connection to the transmission is causing my van to not be able to go pass 25 miles an hour at times. When this happens I have to pull over and turn my van off and restart it so it will reset itself. I paid over 14,000 for this car and would never buy a dodge again. I am going back to FORD."

Great Family Vehicle

By on Monday, July 30, 2007

"The 2003 Grand Caravan is a great vehicle for our family of 6 soon to be 7. We currently have almost 50,000 miles and have had minimal trouble. The only time it was in the shop was to repair the air conditioner compressor. I've performed the routing maintenance, like oil, fluids and brakes, but that is all! The 3.3L is a little underpowered, but it does do well on the highway where we averaged 25mpg on a trip between Michigan and Florida in the winter. Overall, it's a great van for the value."

This is the longest I've ever kept a car..13 yrs.

By on Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Pros: "I really got my money's worth out of this vehicle."

"I've owned a Chrysler brand mini-van ever since they came out in the 80's. They are GREAT for road trips with kids. I just LOVE the cargo carrier in the rear."

Great, solid vehicle.

By on Saturday, March 22, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable/ dependable vehicle."

Cons: "No stow and go seats."

"I like everything about this van, except I bought it before stow and go seats were available in dodge vans. Very solid and dependable van with good gas mileage."

Dodge the Dodge at all costs!

By on Monday, September 30, 2013

Pros: "roomy"

Cons: "No A/C, runs on 4 out of 6 cylinders"

"Growing up, my parents owned a Dodge Stratus(1995): Problems with A/C. Dodge Grand Caravan (1997): Problems with A/C, Power Windows not Working. Now I have a Dodge Grand Caravan (2006) and guess what: No A/C, runs on 4 out of 6 cylinders, drivers side rear door doesn't unlock so it doesn't open, passenger side rear door does not lock so your belongings or you are never safe, and the undercarriage is rusting.... Run away!"

Best vehicle for families

By on Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Pros: "Great price, safe, comfortable"

Cons: "Needs a cover for the dashboard"

"Extremely comfortable dependable ride! We bought this van, a 2002 GC ex after our kids got too tall for our first van, a 1994 Caravan. The Grand Caravan had so much more room, headrests on every seat, comfortable adjustable seatbelts. Sill running terrific at 117400 miles, with no problems, just routine maintenance. Wish I had known about dashboard covers when I first bought this van- the immense windshield magnified the sun's heat and caused the dash cowl to crack badly (we live in the South). Great sound system (& we only had the 6 speaker system!) and the CD/stereo is still clear and plays great. Power lift gate was such a great feature, hauling kids, soccer gear, groceries, etc."

Blacked out w/ chrome 18's Awesome and dependable

By on Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Pros: "22 mpg, decent cornering and wicked comfortable"

Cons: "Rusts in the same spot on every one I've had."

"I've now owned a '96, '99, and an '01. I took the first 2 over 225,000 miles and the only reason I'm selling this one at 172,000 miles is because I'm a little older and just bought a Chrysler Town n Country, loaded with leather, stock chrome wheels, heated power memory seats and all wheel drive. My '99 had awd and it was awesome in the snow. It didn't need snow tires, ever. I would definitely by another. I think Chrysler stopped making the awd minivans though. Too bad."

Great for a family!

By on Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Pros: "Very Reliable and comfortable"

Cons: "Rear visibility not great"

"I'm about to sell my van, but reluctantly. I bought it used four years ago, unaware it had been in an accident that caused frame damage. Even with that, it served us well. And even with axle and sway bar threatening to give way, I still love it and hate to see it go, like a member of the family. It's roomy, and all the seats are comfortable, great for long trips. The only negative is what's common with all passenger vans, that it doesn't have the best rear visibility, and you can't dart in and out of traffic as easily as with a coupe or sedan."

yuck

By on Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Pros: "comfortable, easy to drive"

Cons: "gas guzzler, constant repairs"

"This car is a piece of junk. It has needed repairs constantly. It gets pathetic gas mileage. It is however, comfortable and easy to drive. I would never buy this again."

I LOVE THIS VEHICLE !!!!

By on Saturday, February 23, 2013

Pros: "good power ,plenty of room , looks good"

Cons: "dodge vans seem to be rough on transmissions"

My 2007 dodge caravan

"This is my third van that I have owned , one ford (which was my first old clunker van) and then a 99' plymouth voyager ( which is basically the same as the dodge caravan). My sister at the same time bought a 2000 dodge caravan and she loved it too. We had a few basic problem out of them ,My plymouth had previously been wrecked and had to have the transmission replaced and over the years a starter ,my sister had to replace axles and a few nicknacks . But over all AWESOME vans . I sold my plymouth van with 219k miles and the guy that bought it took it to Florida multiple times after that. I decided to buy this 2007 dodge caravan and I love it , I was afraid it would be hard on gas but was suprised to find out in these mountains we are getting approx. 20 - 22 mpg . and that's pretty good for a 3.3 v6 in southwest virginia . The van has been well maintained and looks and runs great and all the room is such a plus . I just have 2 kids and really don't need a vehicle this size but we will be keeping this van for a permanent family vehicle ."

My 2007 dodge caravan

One of the best vehicles that I have owned

By on Thursday, August 30, 2012

"192000 miles, and never a wrench, except electric windows. Fantastic vehicle."

Very Reliable!

By on Thursday, December 29, 2011

Cons: "Headliner starting to sag."

"I bought this car used and have had it for 10 years. Never any major problems. This van has never left me stranded and has a lot of life still in it."

Very handy for a family

By on Saturday, December 17, 2011

Pros: "prefect for kids and hauling things"

Cons: "cost too much to install auto start system to"

"You can haul a lot of stuff in them love seats twin beds/full beds even. This is our second caravan, has built in car seats which come in handy for grandparents as well or when your child brings home an unexpected playmate from school and you have to drive them back home. We have put many a miles on our vans. We take road trips nearly every weekend and its never let us down, also very good on gas considering its a larger car we avg 24mile to gallon, maybe 27 on highway. Only con is the key system has panic set on the key so you can not install a auto start to warm it in the morning without a extra expense. In Montana that would come in handy to have a window defrosting while getting coffee in the morning without having to make the trip outside."

Great Minivan

By on Sunday, April 19, 2009

"I have owned my 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan ES for 6 years now. Besides routine maintenance (oil changes, brakes, tires, etc), I have only had one issue and that was the A/C was stuck on high (bad blower motor resistor block less than $100 total). It is very comfortable and reliable, and I love all the tech stuff...navigation, dvd, etc. Definitely would recommend!"

average joe

By on Wednesday, March 25, 2009

"I have owned this van for 2 years. We are trading it off soon because of little things going wrong and falling off or breaking. these include the rear door deciding when it wants to open or not, the side of the front seat just falling off, and some mechanical issues that are happening way too soon. Nothing major, but not good quality for the price we paid. Im not very happy, but it was designed well for the family, and for that I am pleased. Nice, but not nice enough."

Many problems

By on Monday, November 24, 2008

"I have owned 5 or 6 chrysler vans. This one has been in and out of the shop repeatedly and that is with less than warranty milage. I think I am done with Chrysler/Dodge products. All little stuff that was covered but I do not trust it anymore"

rotten experience

By on Wednesday, November 19, 2008

"This vehicle has been nothing but an expensive headache. For what I paid for it, I was robbed and it is already worth next to nothing for a trade in. Transmission problems, gasket problems, a/c problems, axle joint problems, on and on. Never again."

Satisfied w/minor issues

By on Saturday, November 08, 2008

"This is our 3rd Caravan but, the first 07 Grand Caravan SXT. I like the bigger engine but it comes with more noise especially during cold starts. This one has the Stow n Go seating which is awsome, but I think the chassis suffers from it. This van does not handle near as well as our other caravans or even the Grand we rented w/o Stow n Go. Interior noise suffers on the highway as well. The Grand Caravan is very practical for our family of 5 but the value has gone down about 10k from what I paid for it just over a year ago.(new) Thank goodness for the warranty because I will be stuck with this one for the life of the loan. MPG on trips with the cruise at 70 is about 24mpg. Go any faster and you will see it drop. Sirius radio, power doors, rear heat/ac, and stow n go are it's best features. If you are buying one used with low miles you will rate much better on the value compared to the much pricier import models. Driven 12k miles with it so far. Good luck."

Great Family Car

By on Monday, April 28, 2008

"We have owned our Grand Caravan for a little over a year and we love it. It is great if you have teenagers that are adult sized! The only disappointment is the in-town gas mileage. It is better than a full sized SUV, but not as good as a sedan. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone with kids, dogs, or just lots of stuff to transport!"