2004 Dodge Grand Caravan Passenger

7.6

Based on 791 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

Good Van, Roomy

By on Friday, March 08, 2013

Pros: "Dependable, Roomy"

Cons: "Gas Guzzler"

"We drove a 2001 Dodge Caravan until it was totaled in a car accident in 2013. Bought it in 2008, never cost us more than oil changes, gas, tuneups, and tires. The van was beginning to creek up front, that may have ended up being something we would have had to fix, but the van was totaled before we could get it to a shop. Loads of room, could very comfortably fit 7. Well designed inside control panel."

Love this car. My 3rd Caravan.

By on Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Pros: "Great driver, hauler, and tows great."

Cons: "None."

"I have driven my previous Caravans to over 250000 miles each with little or no problems. Best family car on the road. Reliable and practical."

Poor reliability

By on Saturday, November 07, 2009

"Dodge always makes a good, full featured car. We originally owned a 2001 that was great up until 60K miles, and when it needed a major repair we traded to the 2005. We discovered many cost-cutting areas such as removing the light from the glove-compartment, removing color from icons on the doors and only leaving raised ridges among others. Brakes are notoriously poor, and will require complete replacement including rotors every 20K miles. We're at 80K and it's regular as clockwork, we're about to have our 4th set put on. Our blower motor has gone twice. Another major issue with these vans is the power sliding doors. The plastic tracks tend to twist and break. We have replaced the passenger side track twice at $300 each time, we have not bothered with the other side because it still manually opens OK. However, once the track breaks the door locks no longer operate so we have to lock and unlock that door by hand (reaching in and back from the front seat). The BCM module also is prone to failure, which controls the remote locks, etc. Sometimes you can fix it by pulling the fuse for 5 minutes and letting it reset, but other times you have to get it reprogrammed by the dealer. I have not had to go that far so I can't tell you what it costs. There have been numerous other repairs, but nothing that has been repetitive. Just an ongoing headache. The front end has had a strange sound from one week into owning that no dealer has ever been able to diagnose. Last, as another reviewer posted, you cannot fit 3 car seats across the rear bench seat. Just an item that needs to be noted if you have 5 kids as we do. Thankfully our oldest is big enough to not need one anymore. We are now looking at a Ford E350 or a Dodge Sprinter (made by Mercedes not Dodge) so that we can get rid of this thing before our next trip. Google these issues and you will find them repeatedly. BEWARE. It is an ok vehicle, but needs a lot of upkeep."

Real Dads drive minivans

By on Wednesday, April 02, 2008

"I had this minivan for almost 6 years and drove for 128K miles in it. We comfortably transported a family of six with luggage and baseball team gear. Fully load the minivan still had good acceleration and still averaged almost 21mpg hwy. The functionality and versatility of this vehical was awesome!!!! Repairs over the life of ownership consisted of replacing a fan motor for the A/C at 126K and a brake caliper at 98k. Not bad for a vehicle we drove to 13 different states."

LOVE this van!!!!

By on Monday, February 04, 2008

"I bought my 2005 Dodge used almost 2 years ago at 20K miles. It now has 60K miles and is in the shop as I am typing, but only for regular stuff - tires, brakes & timing belt. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this van. We have taken it on many trips - from NC to FL, NC to NY, NC to CA.... We are going back to FL in 6 weeks and I have no doubts this car will take us there and back safely. We DO NOT pack light on our trips, but this car always has plenty of room for luggage and our two dogs. This is by far the best car to take on long trips. The seats are very soft unlike the hard seats they are putting in cars today - whats up with that? It can hold a whole sheet of plywood with the seats folded down. And with the seats out, it can hold a riding mower!!! : )"

My 3rd Caravan and the 2006 is best of the 3

By on Monday, January 04, 2016

Pros: "Comfortable, roomy, nice ride, cheap repairs"

Cons: "Hoped for more MPG's, but no other cons."

"I purchased the 2006 with 97,000 miles in May,2011 and have 218,000 as of today. I do most of the repairs and only in the last year have I had any "problems". I have had a caliper lock up, the rear AC evaporator needs replaced, the rear electric door locks don't work, and the rear jounce bumpers (look them up)and rear shocks needed replaced. Other than oil changes, tires, and brake pads it has been a champ. I drive 120 miles a day or more on average and wouldn't hesitate to take anywhere at a moments notice. The mileage has averaged 23 mpg over the last 5 years.I also tow a trailer with a 3500 lb load more often than I care to (at least 200 times)along vicious country roads and it pulls it with no effort. Previously had a '92 and a '03 that were totaled by others; both were just shy of 200,000 miles...nary a problem with them either. I love the roominess, it handles well for a van, great for hauling everything imaginable from the lumber store, packing in family members, loading up just about everything for a week away from home, surprisingly easy to work on and parts are usually inexpensive(most notably after hitting a deer). I love this thing and hope to have it for at least another 200,000 miles! SERIOUSLY!"

THEY SAID IT WOULD NOT LAST

By on Friday, March 16, 2012

Pros: "Holds 7 people, comfortable high ride"

Cons: "poor hardware e.g. knobs and cup holders break or"

"I bought the van new for under $18,000. I was advised it was unreliable and had poor trade value and should buy a Japanese car that was $5,000 more. Now, 8 years and 130,000 miles later the van still runs like a dream."

love this van, would buy another one

By on Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Pros: "Very reliable"

"Great van for a family. Only wear and tear problems. I put 160,000 miles on in 7 years of owning this van. Drove over 4000 miles on one family trip, no problems, is big enough for our family of 6 and our stuff for a one week road trip. Just used a small cloth carrier on top. Only big problem was the automatic passenger side window slipping off track."

Thank the Heavens!

By on Saturday, January 21, 2012

"Was recently in a accident which tottalled my Caravan, smashed the whole front, it was a pretty bad accident. I am writing this though to inform people that the Caravan saved me. With the airbags and engine went down towards the ground and not into my legs which I was worried about at first when I couldn't see the front of the van and my legs hurt, but that was from an airbag under the steering wheel. Anyway as the driver I felt like I was lucky, not sure if you have passangers though which is what a minivan is about and hope I never have to find that one out!!"

Best one we have ever owned

By on Monday, November 07, 2011

Pros: "easy to manuever, price is good"

"We have been driving this van for 6 years, put on 155,000 miles on it, stacked 5 children in it and have no complaints. I think for accessibility for car seats, ease of travel, and dependability this is hard to beat. Nothing like a ride you can count on. Yay for the DODGE CARAVAN SPORT!!"