2004 Dodge Grand Caravan Passenger

7.6

Based on 777 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

Good Van, Roomy

By on Friday, March 08, 2013

Pros: "Dependable, Roomy"

Cons: "Gas Guzzler"

"We drove a 2001 Dodge Caravan until it was totaled in a car accident in 2013. Bought it in 2008, never cost us more than oil changes, gas, tuneups, and tires. The van was beginning to creek up front, that may have ended up being something we would have had to fix, but the van was totaled before we could get it to a shop. Loads of room, could very comfortably fit 7. Well designed inside control panel."

Poor reliability

By on Saturday, November 07, 2009

"Dodge always makes a good, full featured car. We originally owned a 2001 that was great up until 60K miles, and when it needed a major repair we traded to the 2005. We discovered many cost-cutting areas such as removing the light from the glove-compartment, removing color from icons on the doors and only leaving raised ridges among others. Brakes are notoriously poor, and will require complete replacement including rotors every 20K miles. We're at 80K and it's regular as clockwork, we're about to have our 4th set put on. Our blower motor has gone twice. Another major issue with these vans is the power sliding doors. The plastic tracks tend to twist and break. We have replaced the passenger side track twice at $300 each time, we have not bothered with the other side because it still manually opens OK. However, once the track breaks the door locks no longer operate so we have to lock and unlock that door by hand (reaching in and back from the front seat). The BCM module also is prone to failure, which controls the remote locks, etc. Sometimes you can fix it by pulling the fuse for 5 minutes and letting it reset, but other times you have to get it reprogrammed by the dealer. I have not had to go that far so I can't tell you what it costs. There have been numerous other repairs, but nothing that has been repetitive. Just an ongoing headache. The front end has had a strange sound from one week into owning that no dealer has ever been able to diagnose. Last, as another reviewer posted, you cannot fit 3 car seats across the rear bench seat. Just an item that needs to be noted if you have 5 kids as we do. Thankfully our oldest is big enough to not need one anymore. We are now looking at a Ford E350 or a Dodge Sprinter (made by Mercedes not Dodge) so that we can get rid of this thing before our next trip. Google these issues and you will find them repeatedly. BEWARE. It is an ok vehicle, but needs a lot of upkeep."

All Around Great Car

By on Wednesday, June 10, 2009

"This car drives great. Very smooth and picks up quick on highways. Pretty sporty. The seats are so comfortable. More so then newer cars I've been in. The cup holder adjust to the size of your cup, very handy. Whether you're trying to store a baby bottle or a large coffee your drink won't budge. The middle row has it's own pair of cup holders that also adjust and the third row has non-adjusting cup holders. The central air in the car is fantastic! It has tons of air vents all over the place. The side doors slide open and latch into place. That comes in handy when you're parked on a hill. Many of the side doors on other minivans don't latch in place and I've had them slide shut on my legs when I was parked on my hill trying to pull my kids out. The latching mechanism is a life saver! I was on this site looking to trade my car in for an 8 passenger instead of our current 7 passenger. It's going to be hard to let this car go."

Real Dads drive minivans

By on Wednesday, April 02, 2008

"I had this minivan for almost 6 years and drove for 128K miles in it. We comfortably transported a family of six with luggage and baseball team gear. Fully load the minivan still had good acceleration and still averaged almost 21mpg hwy. The functionality and versatility of this vehical was awesome!!!! Repairs over the life of ownership consisted of replacing a fan motor for the A/C at 126K and a brake caliper at 98k. Not bad for a vehicle we drove to 13 different states."

no brainer for the family

By on Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Pros: "great price, reliable, good on gas, great family v"

Cons: "make sure you keep you transmission serviced."

"I bought my 2005 dodge grand caravan used, with about 89,000 on it at a super buy, and a one owner to boot. I would not have bought most vehicles with this mileage, but after reading several reviews of people not wanted to give them up, I guess that is why so many have high mileage. they tend on average to go 300,000 or 400,000 miles. they are a good buy for the money used or new, compared to Honda and Toyota vans. remember they are the founding father, of what we know as the mini van."