2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Passenger

7.5

Based on 756 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

best vehicle for my purposes

By on Friday, September 06, 2013

Pros: "Very good price, very useful to drive, age 77"

Cons: "no gas cap lock, no outside entry"

"No trouble except new brakes, etc."

Your worst nightmare.

By on Sunday, September 01, 2013

Reason: EVERYTHING WAS BAD IN THIS VAN

Pros: "Beautiful design and color."

Cons: "The van by itself."

"From the beginning, this van had problems of any kind. It was a 2005 Grand Caravan SXT with 97,000 miles. In 5 months I changed the alternator, the main computer and the interior headliner. The power sliding doors and the power liftgate never worked properly. The gauges in the dashboard were constantly flickering like crazy and sometimes the engine stalls and stop suddenly without apparent reason. The transmission jumped sometimes between first and second shift sometimes it happens at high speed. I had to replace the crankshaft sensor and nothing improve. And finally this Van never did more than 11 MPG in city traffic and 15mpg on highway."

We LOVE OUR GRAND CARAVAN... Great for trips!

By on Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Pros: "Roomy, Comfortable, seats 7, fun, high up!!! :)"

Cons: "Electrical & trans issues, Yes-extended warranty."

"We bought our 2002 RED Grand Caravan in 2007, Used w/ 57,800 miles. I've always wanted this minivan- I love the body style. We did have a transmission issue right after we bought it, but we bought the extended warranty and it didn't cost me anything. Then the transmission went out 8/2008, but it was still under warranty so it was fixed for $100 deductible. We've never had any MAJOR problems. We have put on 83,000 miles in 6 years-- We've driven to WI & IA many times. We've been to WY and back, to TN and up to MD last year. We just love that it seats 7 comfortably. Its great to fill up the car w/ kids to take them here & there, or hanging out w/ family & driving your parents where they need to go. I love how high you sit & you can see everything around you. Comfortable ride, good pickup, w/ minimal issues. GREAT CAR, Dependable and Fun to drive. Cons: electrical issues are starting to creep up- My drivers side window electrical motor is acting up again- 2nd time is 2 yrs. Other than that.. Good & Dependable car."

Easy to repair if you are a "Shade Tree" mechanic.

By on Saturday, August 17, 2013

Pros: "Comfort, easy to repair (if you have a clue)"

Cons: "RUST issues in fender wells and rocker panels"

"I've owned Caravan's, Voyager's and a Town and Country since 1984. I have only one thing to say bad about the 2001-2007 model years... RUST! If you get one with clean rocker panels in the "salt belt" then it's a rare bird. Better undercoat it quick to keep it that way... The 1996-2000 years were much better about rust and you will likely find older ones with better body integrity then the newer, sad to say. Here's a trick that helped me get 314,098 miles out of an all wheel drive 1992 version and over 200,000 miles on 5 more up to a 2005 model; Instead of using a Fram PH-16 oil filter (or equivalent), try using a PH-8A Filter instead, has twice the filter area and keeps the oil MUCH cleaner, use FULL synthetic oil too. Happy motoring! 3.3 Liter motor is indestructible if taken care of..."

Dodge Caravan

By on Monday, August 12, 2013

"Excellent versatile vehicle. Loved the removable bench seats. Main downfall was lack of security. Our van was stolen in Atlanta."

Best vehicle for families

By on Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Pros: "Great price, safe, comfortable"

Cons: "Needs a cover for the dashboard"

"Extremely comfortable dependable ride! We bought this van, a 2002 GC ex after our kids got too tall for our first van, a 1994 Caravan. The Grand Caravan had so much more room, headrests on every seat, comfortable adjustable seatbelts. Sill running terrific at 117400 miles, with no problems, just routine maintenance. Wish I had known about dashboard covers when I first bought this van- the immense windshield magnified the sun's heat and caused the dash cowl to crack badly (we live in the South). Great sound system (& we only had the 6 speaker system!) and the CD/stereo is still clear and plays great. Power lift gate was such a great feature, hauling kids, soccer gear, groceries, etc."

Blacked out w/ chrome 18's Awesome and dependable

By on Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Pros: "22 mpg, decent cornering and wicked comfortable"

Cons: "Rusts in the same spot on every one I've had."

"I've now owned a '96, '99, and an '01. I took the first 2 over 225,000 miles and the only reason I'm selling this one at 172,000 miles is because I'm a little older and just bought a Chrysler Town n Country, loaded with leather, stock chrome wheels, heated power memory seats and all wheel drive. My '99 had awd and it was awesome in the snow. It didn't need snow tires, ever. I would definitely by another. I think Chrysler stopped making the awd minivans though. Too bad."

Bought it new!

By on Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Pros: "useful, great value!"

Cons: "flaky electrical system as the car got older"

"Bought it new and it has been a great vehicle. Its electrical system is getting a little flakey now that it is getting old. Other than that It is breaks and tires kind of car. stow and go is awesome and convenient. i brought home my entire front porch decking in and on top of this car. looking to buy another one! more useful than any SUV I've ever owned."

It's like my dog in vehicle form

By on Monday, May 27, 2013

Pros: "practical and powerful. Great "bang for the buck""

Cons: "It's a little thirsty but not unbearably so."

"We purchased the 2001 as a replacement for our 2002 which was rolled by a runaway trailer "everyone was kept safe". We have loved the overall comfort of the van, it is a wonderful way to take a family road trip. There is plenty of room for my family and any gear we have. The 3.8 v6 has plenty of power and has yet to let us down. There are a few rattles in the seats and doors, but being over 12 years old that is expected. The all wheel drive is really nice when the Minnesota roads get tricky. The only problem there is that between the awd and the abs you are almost TOO isolated from the road conditions. But as long as you are aware of that, its fine. Rust is the only down fall, but again, being a minnesota car that is unfortunately to be expected."

good road car. love the sto n go seats

By on Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Pros: "good fuel economy for size sto n go seats are good"

Cons: "wish it played mp3's"

"I would buy another one without hesitation."

Ok vehicle

By on Monday, May 13, 2013

"Pros: Stow n go seats are awesome, Lots of room, safe, OK fuel efficiency, Cons: constant maintenance. blown head gasket, got it fixed and now it is doing the same thing 4 months later as it did before. Check engine light is always coming on. Makes noises when turning. Lots of road noise on highway. Doesn't do well on turns and doesn't get up and go very well(it's a van not a sports car), feel like a soccer mom driving it. I have lost my faith in dodge or Chrysler vehicles. I just hate pumping more money into vehicles."

I will buy another one!

By on Monday, April 01, 2013

"I will buy another one!"

Great for a family!

By on Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Pros: "Very Reliable and comfortable"

Cons: "Rear visibility not great"

"I'm about to sell my van, but reluctantly. I bought it used four years ago, unaware it had been in an accident that caused frame damage. Even with that, it served us well. And even with axle and sway bar threatening to give way, I still love it and hate to see it go, like a member of the family. It's roomy, and all the seats are comfortable, great for long trips. The only negative is what's common with all passenger vans, that it doesn't have the best rear visibility, and you can't dart in and out of traffic as easily as with a coupe or sedan."

good design and reliability

By on Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Pros: "Layout, big interior, good mpg, no major troubles"

Cons: "paint peels, ac leaks"

"We've had this car for 5 years and had no major repairs. It's comfortable and well laid out. We average 20mpg with the 3.3 v6. Little stuff breaks like 2 window motors, a sliding door motor and some sensors. The paint is beginning to peel on the hood even though I wax it regularly. The ac has a few issues but topping it up yearly with freon as kept it going in the Florida heat.I liked it enough to buy another one as the prices are more reasonable then the foreign vans."

Buyer Beware

By on Thursday, March 21, 2013

Pros: "Stow and Go seats AWESOME"

Cons: "Amount of time it may spend in the shop."

"I bought this van used 10/2011 wit 74,000 miles on it. In the last 15 months I have replaced the consensor coil (makes the A/C work, just a meer $1000), fixed the driver's side automatic door ($485), master cylinder ($300), and as of right now I'm getting a switched fixed so my rear A/C will work instead of blowing hot air in the summer time (the labor alone is $288). So I'm not impressed with quality of the van itself. I do like the stow and go seating and the power sliding doors. I wish our model had the power lift gate, but it doesn't. Oddly it also does not honk when you lock the doors with the fob, which I found out later was an "optional" feature."

Average Car that meets my needs for now.

By on Thursday, March 21, 2013

Pros: "Functions well, good options, handles well"

Cons: "multiple maintenance issues continue to plaque it."

"I've owned Caravans as well as Town & Countries. This one has had the most options. The side door locks went bad, the rack-n-pinion has been repleaced 3 times. Not sure why they can't make one that lasts much beyond the warranty. Breaks get warped easily. Firestone left a rag in the engine and killed it. New engine runs great. Not the best car so it's probably my last Caravan."

yuck

By on Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Pros: "comfortable, easy to drive"

Cons: "gas guzzler, constant repairs"

"This car is a piece of junk. It has needed repairs constantly. It gets pathetic gas mileage. It is however, comfortable and easy to drive. I would never buy this again."

Good Van, Roomy

By on Friday, March 08, 2013

Pros: "Dependable, Roomy"

Cons: "Gas Guzzler"

"We drove a 2001 Dodge Caravan until it was totaled in a car accident in 2013. Bought it in 2008, never cost us more than oil changes, gas, tuneups, and tires. The van was beginning to creek up front, that may have ended up being something we would have had to fix, but the van was totaled before we could get it to a shop. Loads of room, could very comfortably fit 7. Well designed inside control panel."

I LOVE THIS VEHICLE !!!!

By on Saturday, February 23, 2013

Pros: "good power ,plenty of room , looks good"

Cons: "dodge vans seem to be rough on transmissions"

My 2007 dodge caravan

"This is my third van that I have owned , one ford (which was my first old clunker van) and then a 99' plymouth voyager ( which is basically the same as the dodge caravan). My sister at the same time bought a 2000 dodge caravan and she loved it too. We had a few basic problem out of them ,My plymouth had previously been wrecked and had to have the transmission replaced and over the years a starter ,my sister had to replace axles and a few nicknacks . But over all AWESOME vans . I sold my plymouth van with 219k miles and the guy that bought it took it to Florida multiple times after that. I decided to buy this 2007 dodge caravan and I love it , I was afraid it would be hard on gas but was suprised to find out in these mountains we are getting approx. 20 - 22 mpg . and that's pretty good for a 3.3 v6 in southwest virginia . The van has been well maintained and looks and runs great and all the room is such a plus . I just have 2 kids and really don't need a vehicle this size but we will be keeping this van for a permanent family vehicle ."

My 2007 dodge caravan

a wonderful vehichle for hauling passengers, cargo

By on Thursday, February 21, 2013

Pros: "grt car"

"kids etc. great realibility& comfort"

Gr8t van, if only dodge could make it rust proof!!

By on Sunday, January 27, 2013

Pros: "Super comfy, minimal repairs thus far."

Cons: "major rust out on body"

"2003--Inside--Very comfortable, roomy, nice sound system, minimal road noise, easy to clean. AC's been an issue, can't find the leak and have to recharge it every spring, but it holds up all summer. Tranny is starting to slip a bit, crossing my fingers it holds up another year. -Outside--RUST BUCKET!! I've noticed that most Chrysler/Dodge vehicles do not hold up to New York's salted roads. Excessive corrosion to passenger side rocker and wheel-wells all around, the hood, and anywhere it's been nicked by a pebble! I love my van, but it looks like you know what on the outside."

Nothing is handier than a cargo van

By on Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Pros: "Cargo vans rule! You won't go back to PU trucks."

Cons: "A 5-speed auto would be an improvement."

"We have 2 Grand Caravans - a 2003 passenger van and a 2006 cargo van - with a combined mileage of slightly more than 190,000. Neither of them has ever required mechanical repair beyond normal scheduled maintenance and replacement of brake pads. On the con side, having a 5-speed auto trans instead of a 4-speed would make downshifts with less of a gap between gears which would be a lot easier on the engine. The only reason for us to get rid of either van would be to replace it with another one just like it only with substantially fewer miles."

Best van I have ever owned

By on Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Pros: "good value for money fun to drive dependable"

Cons: "Cup holders in rear seats were a problem."

"More than enough room even when fully loaded with passengers. Stow away feature afforded us plenty of room for cargo Wife is an invalid so later on had lift installed for scooter but still had great room Great ride in snow and rain Excelent ride on dry roads Great vehicle for travel Now have a 2011 Van also and it is even better"

Did what it was meant to do

By on Sunday, November 25, 2012

Pros: "Great gas milage for its size"

Cons: "power sliding doors broke too many times"

"I bought this van new in 04. I have about 85k miles on it and it's made every soccer,football,and ballet practice without missing a beat. Other than normal routine maintnance brakes, alternator water pump ect. The only problem that I encountered was with the power sliding doors. The wireing had to be repaired multiple times, it seems that the wire harness in the door breaks from normal use. I think that its a design flaw and now the replacement harnesses are almost impossible to find. They have been on back order at my local delership for over a year now. I found a few on ebay and purchased them for spares. Other than a few oil changes and tires this van has been trouble free and dependable."

good mileage, good highway cruiser. Sun roof leak.

By on Saturday, November 17, 2012

Pros: "easy to drive"

Cons: "anemic power"

"Very dependable, good highway cruiser, very comfortable. Gets decent mileage 17-24mpg. Has consistent sun roof leak since day 1, (bought new), has since been sealed and is not used."