2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Passenger

7.6

Based on 772 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

153,000 miles and still going !

By on Sunday, April 13, 2008

"I bought the 2001 Grand Caravan Sport with 3.3 liter flex fuel as a used vehicle in 02'. It had at the time 31,000 miles and was a retired rental vehicle sold at my local Dodge dealership. It has been and continues to be a suprisingly reliable vehicle. It always starts and has some pep in the engine still. Now the cons. 1) Transmission acted up out of nowhere at 95,000 miles; would not shift out of 2nd in "D". After troubleshooting by pulling the trouble codes off the odometer, it revealed the transmission computer was bad. That part is located in the driver's front wheel well ,behind the splash shield. The dealer said I would have to have that part programmed; never did and it shifts fine. At 128,000 miles, the engine misfired badly AFTER a tuneup ;plugs wires. The coil went bad and was not firing all six cylinders. Replaced the coil at a cost of $87.00 and all was well. A/C compressor locked up and made a horrendous sound, replaced that part at a cost of $140. Alternator died at 150,000 miles and bought a reman' at Advance Auto for $120. Driver's window will not roll down and testing revealed that is a bad motor. Now the Pros. 1) The transmission has held up well and still shifts well for the miles and age. I have never had it rebuilt ,just the trans. computer replaced. HOWEVER, most Chrysler owners may not be aware that these transmissions take ATF+4 transmission fluid; not Dexron IV or Mercon. Make sure you let your mechanic know ! It's available at most parts stores or at the local Dodge/Chrysler Jeep dealer. I've replaced the engine oil and filter every 3000 miles and the trans fluid and filter every 30,000 miles with of course ATF+4. I don't know it all, but I hope this review helps fellow Caravan owners on what to look out for and not getting ripped off for a new transmission when it just may be a simple $200 computer ! Overall, still runs great, no headgasket problems or overheating, shifts well and took it to So.Cal. from Texas and back without a problem. Still averages 17 MPG around town and 25 MPG on the highway !"

Definantly Worth It...

By on Sunday, January 11, 2015

"I bought this vehicle brand new in '03 and has been totally reliable throughout the 11 years I have it so far. I would recommend this car to anyone. I purchased it because I have a family of 4 and my brother's old Ford truck wasn't going to work. Now, me and my son use it as the 'Fishmobile' and keep all of our fishing supplies in there, such as fishing poles and tackle and still remains very reliable, even to have 330,000 miles on it."

Best vehicle I have owner

By on Thursday, October 22, 2009

"I bought this van used in Jan. '08. It had 169775 miles when I bought it. It has been rock solid in every way. It now has 200,900 miles and has NO issues with any system except the P/S pump is a little noisy when cold. It even smells new inside. I would not take any sum for it if I could not get another one. I am a professional mechanic and have customers with these vehicles. One has several from near new to one with over 300,000 miles. I see very few major issues with these vehicles overall. The frontal crash safety is very good. I HIGHLY recommend them as long as they have the 3.3 or 3.8 engine. I do not recommend the 4 cylinder."

Excellent minivan

By on Sunday, April 20, 2014

Pros: "Roomy Comfortable, Versitile, Economical"

Cons: "The speedo only goes up to 120."

Great looking car, always in style.

"I purchased this vehicle new. It is a great car. Smooth ride powerful yet very economical 3.8 L v6 Engine has great power for passing and is silky smooth and quiet at cruise. I regularly travel to the southern USA and cruise at 75 to 80 mph speeds fully loaded with ease. My SXT has 4 wheel disk brakes and the responsive handling and strong brakes saved me from a serious collision, when another car cut across the road right in front of me! I do keep the car hand washed and waxed, the original paint is 10 years old and still looks beautiful. The seats are very comfortable and the interior can perform a multitude of functions, Hauling kids, or dogs, or cargo or any combination is a snap!"

Great looking car, always in style.

Would Not Buy Again

By on Sunday, November 04, 2007

"I've had my Dodge Grand Caravan for 5 years and have driven it like a battle wagon; took to kids to school for a long time, back and forth to the barn, couple of beach vacations, family visits in country. Has performed reasonably well, but really starting to fall apart at 125,000 miles. Leaks oil, eats brakes and tires, won't turn right in the morning when cold, AC has sprung a HUGE leak, and now I don't even have heat. Suspension did not last at all well. I will say it cranks reliably and has not broken down on the side of the road yet, but I expected it to last longer. Mechanic always SMILES when he sees me coming... not a good sign."