2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Passenger

7.6

Based on 786 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

Best ever

By on Friday, September 28, 2007

"Vehicle was used (first 70,000) on the highway. Wife's a sales rep. Then, I've driven the remaining miles (up to 120,000) in town and it still drives like a new one. No noises everything works. Removed the back seat and we use it to go to the beach. I've had this 5 years and would not hesitate to buy another if a Van is what I needed."

good family vehicle

By on Saturday, September 01, 2007

"I have owned this van for about 2.5 years and it has been very reliable but it does get horrible milage and the factory tires were junk. repaced with 17in wheels and quality tires, now vehicle gets better milage and feels more stable. Found ratings for factory tires(goodyear integrity) as totaly horrible in every condition!!"

Dodge is a Great Buy!

By on Monday, August 20, 2007

"I have owned my Grand Caravan for almost a year and I love it! I havent had any trouble and it works great for my family of 7!"

not a reliable vehicle

By on Tuesday, July 31, 2007

"I purchased this model car in fall of 2005. We were expecting our 4th child and needed a van. I loved our van at first. But by 40.000 miles I had replaced both front and rear brakes, tires, window motors, front axle, alternator, battery, and various cosmetic items that either broke or just fell off. I have never had to replace or repair so many things on such a "new" van. Most of the 40,000 miles are highway miles. I have purchased Dodge before and not had these types of issues. I will not purchase a Dodge again."

Overall good for a Family

By on Thursday, August 06, 2015

Pros: "Value for money"

"Overall good for a Family , if want to go for a long trip. Have sufficient space for luggage, smooth drive, good Mileage."

Most comfortable,multipurpose car I've ever owned.

By on Friday, April 03, 2015

Pros: "Super comfortable, great storage space."

Cons: "some cup holders were flimsy"

"Most comfortable road-trip car ever. Plenty of storage, adjustable seating, etc. Super dependable."

solid vehicle

By on Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Pros: "great price for the reliability and usefulness"

"184000 miles on a 2005 model and engine and transmission are still running really smoothly. have had bad egr, replaced radiator and water pump, compressor went bad, and sometimes the power locks don't work, brakes don't ever last long."

Best car we have ever owned. 262,000 wonderful mi

By on Wednesday, January 15, 2014

"262,000 miles and would go another 50,000. In the zhop this year for a tune up. No repairs ever just good maintenance. Crunched in an accident unfortunately, saved our lives. Held up great and did not roll."

great for working and family

By on Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Pros: "easy to drive- easy to see out of"

Cons: "need better cup holders in it"

"lay down rear seats allow me to haul with ease. then put grandkids in the next day in a matter of minutes. depending on time to unload. 2ed row bucket seats allow ease to get to rear seats. they are very comfortable for traveling. I sometimes ride there and let the front seat "take a brake". the rear temp controls let me turn down the heat if the little ones were in a coat without stopping to readjust them. same with the air. I have owned this van for 5 yrs and don't have anything bad to say about it. just looking at this site to see about what it is worth and what to expect to get if I trade up for a newer one."

EveryMan's EveryVan

By on Sunday, October 13, 2013

"I got my used 2005 Dodge Caravan SXT 3.8 (bright white) after losing my wheels in Hurricane Katrina. It's proven to be a really reliable & fun car to drive. It can handle a lot of folks, kids, dogs, ice chests, and the roof rack can handle any extra camping and beach gear. The factory alloy wheels gives it a sporty look. The stow-a-way seats let her haul like a pickup truck or add a mattress and you've got a comfortable room for the night. It drinks some gas but nothing like a Nissan Armada or Toyota Tundra."

Dodge Caravan

By on Monday, August 12, 2013

"Excellent versatile vehicle. Loved the removable bench seats. Main downfall was lack of security. Our van was stolen in Atlanta."

Did what it was meant to do

By on Sunday, November 25, 2012

Pros: "Great gas milage for its size"

Cons: "power sliding doors broke too many times"

"I bought this van new in 04. I have about 85k miles on it and it's made every soccer,football,and ballet practice without missing a beat. Other than normal routine maintnance brakes, alternator water pump ect. The only problem that I encountered was with the power sliding doors. The wireing had to be repaired multiple times, it seems that the wire harness in the door breaks from normal use. I think that its a design flaw and now the replacement harnesses are almost impossible to find. They have been on back order at my local delership for over a year now. I found a few on ebay and purchased them for spares. Other than a few oil changes and tires this van has been trouble free and dependable."

loved this vehicle

By on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Pros: "roomy,comfortable"

Cons: "breaks to often and rotors to often"

"love this van was great,only complaint was replacing breaks twice a year and rotors often. never had an issue till 200000 miles then i had to start putting a lot of money in to it."

Very reliable and a comfortable ride

By on Saturday, March 24, 2012

Pros: "everything"

"I have over 150k miles on my van and have never had any kind of major issue with it. It has been driven up and down the east coast on numerous trips. Handles great, seats are very comfortable, entertainment system is great, lots of room for all your "stuff" and easy to get in and out of even from the rear bench seat and for a van it gets great gas mileage even when towing."

Takes a licking and keeps on ticking

By on Thursday, March 22, 2012

Pros: "Lots of storage. Extended cargo area."

Cons: "Large vehicle"

"This minivan runs forever. I had 3 minivans while my children were growing up and this was by FAR the best. It is time to move to a car but I will really miss the storage space and passenger capacity of this vehicle. This van starts EVERYDAY. The only times it didn't was when it needed to have a part replaced (battery, alternator, starter.) None of them failed before their expected times. If someone wants a reliable vehicle, this is the one."

Iver never had a better car!!!

By on Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Pros: "vary relyable and its a great car for the price"

Cons: "suspention isnt that great on the 03 modle"

"this is the second van my family has owned, the other one we had got 275000 before we sold it and even then the drivetrane was still perfictly running."

Dependable and reliable

By on Saturday, January 07, 2012

"I bought this vehicle used and I repaired the transmission at 200,000 miles and it is still going strong. I am well pleased with the performance and pep it has even now. I will get another Dodge Van when I am ready to replace this one."

Best vehicle ever.

By on Sunday, December 04, 2011

"I am a 75 year old retired auto mechanic. This is my 4th Caravan and the best car I've ever owned. My wife and I take 1 or 2 cross country trips each year driving 4,000 to 7,000 miles each trip. The comfort with the electric seats, the convenience of the Sto N Go seats, and the lack of mechanical problems makes each trip most enjoyable. The oil is changed every 3000 miles and is almost as clean when it is changed as it was when it was newly added. I hope to get at least 250,000 miles before trade-in."

great vehicle, space for people and cargo

By on Saturday, October 29, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive, great for kids and grandkids"

Cons: "only thing is spare access little inconvenient"

"great vehicle, love it - drives, rides wonderfully and is spacious for passengers and plenty of room for hauling. can't be beat for kids and grandkids! would get it again!"

very good vehicle,good driving expirience.

By on Monday, October 03, 2011

"For the price, was good. For my grandchildren, they love it. My daughter love our car, for de roads."

High repair costs

By on Saturday, August 27, 2011

Pros: "Storage and stow awyay seats"

Cons: "Poor gas mileage and high maintenance costs."

"The Grand Caravan has plenty of storage space. The seats stow away to allow a 4 by 8 foot of plywood to lay flat and still close the rear door. But, the maintenance has cost abot $2,000 per year since it was purchased. Almost every trip to the dealer for the free oil change found another non-covered maintenance issue. Also, the gas mileage was never what they advertised. It really gets about 14 MPG city/17 mpg highway."

best vehicle ever.

By on Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Pros: "enjoyable driving"

Cons: "should have got the CD player"

"We have had a Plymouth Voyager or Dodge Caravan ever since they came on the market. We love driving this vehicle and we love the versatility of it. We have not had any major repair problems with any of them. We have owned 3 of them and leased the first one. We have 176,609 miles on our 2001 and it still works fine. The Florida sun has started to peel the clear coat on one door and there is one small hole behind the sliding door panel. Other than that the car is still running great."

Happy with this vehicle

By on Monday, August 15, 2011

Pros: "Spacey, reliable"

Cons: "Grey interior shows dirt easily"

"We needed a van once we started having children, and it was a wonderful thing. The space is awesome, and being able to add extra space by hiding the seats is extra great because we can use it to move big things. I love this style of the Grand Caravan (curvy, not boxy), and it's overall a great van."

Great for young families on a budget

By on Thursday, May 12, 2011

"I looked at lots of reviews when we first bought this van, and lots of them make the van seem scary. I bought it anyway, because the price was great! The good things about the van: 1. the price. 2. It's pretty comfortable, and has lots of seats. 3. It is pretty reliable, and when there is a problem (there will be problems) you probably won't get stranded. You have some time to get things fixed before you're stuck. 4. It made me happy to be driving a vehicle that was fully paid-for that looks and feels good. Now for the not-so-good: 1. The transmission on any minivan is going to be a challenge, and so routine checks on the transmission will be necessary. If you keep up with it, it won't give you headaches. 2. The back seat benches do come out, but man, it isn't easy! The instruction manual is no help. I spent the better part of a day trying to figure out how to get them back in place correctly. Have someone show you how to do it, and be ready for heavy lifting! What a terrible design those seats are! After practice, though, now I'm an expert. 3. AC is a MUST. The back windows only crack a little, and so getting fresh air in the back is impossible. I see the constant use of the AC as a drawback because I like fresh air. You'll kill your children if you don't have it blasting in the back, though. 4. Even though there is a lot of space, if you have children who need car seats, the back bench is not equipped with anchors. You have to use the seatbelt, and that's just annoying. 5. The speaker system is pretty shoddy. The back is way to loud, and the speakers will just stop working in some instances. 6. The front suspension on all these vans is terrible. I had to replace the control arms, and the bushings just randomly break. It makes the front feel all wobbly and clunky. They all do it, so it's a design flaw. It isn't dangerous, just really annoying. 7. There are other maintenance things that you'll have to keep on top of. The cooling system, for example. Those lines have a tendency to develop leaks, so watch out. With all the caveats, you'd think I'd be more down on this van. Bottom line, if you won't maintain this vehicle, it won't last long. If you do, it will be good for many years while you save up for your dream car down the road!"

Buyer Beware

By on Tuesday, April 27, 2010

"I have owned two other Chrysler minivan products in the past, a 1993 and a 2000, and this is by far the worst one quality-wise. Even though it is a 2005 model, five years removed from being new, it already has shown severe corrosion and mechanical problems. The clear coat finish is starting to flake off or show bubbles in many areas. The interior components are not much better as several pieces have broken off or are useless for their intended purposes, such as the middle row seat rests, the latch pull for the stow-n-go bin, and the overhead rail system plastic. Not all is bad about it however. It has decent power, pretty comfortable, smooth ride, and doesn't get terrible gas mileage. But these aspects don't outweigh the numerous times I have had to have it in the repair shop for all sorts of issues, namely the brakes three times, the ABS, and all the corrosion-related mechanical issues that have come up. My '93 was an okay machine, just ran into a bad transmission at about 95K miles. My '00 was very nice, only had belt slipping problems when it got wet. This '05 shouldn't have these issues within the short time I have owned it and it shows how far the quality has dropped in recent years. Some people I know who have this van have had decent luck with it, but I will be looking to get rid of my money pit very soon. That is why I say "Buyer Beware"."