2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Passenger

7.6

Based on 777 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

153,000 miles and still going !

By on Sunday, April 13, 2008

"I bought the 2001 Grand Caravan Sport with 3.3 liter flex fuel as a used vehicle in 02'. It had at the time 31,000 miles and was a retired rental vehicle sold at my local Dodge dealership. It has been and continues to be a suprisingly reliable vehicle. It always starts and has some pep in the engine still. Now the cons. 1) Transmission acted up out of nowhere at 95,000 miles; would not shift out of 2nd in "D". After troubleshooting by pulling the trouble codes off the odometer, it revealed the transmission computer was bad. That part is located in the driver's front wheel well ,behind the splash shield. The dealer said I would have to have that part programmed; never did and it shifts fine. At 128,000 miles, the engine misfired badly AFTER a tuneup ;plugs wires. The coil went bad and was not firing all six cylinders. Replaced the coil at a cost of $87.00 and all was well. A/C compressor locked up and made a horrendous sound, replaced that part at a cost of $140. Alternator died at 150,000 miles and bought a reman' at Advance Auto for $120. Driver's window will not roll down and testing revealed that is a bad motor. Now the Pros. 1) The transmission has held up well and still shifts well for the miles and age. I have never had it rebuilt ,just the trans. computer replaced. HOWEVER, most Chrysler owners may not be aware that these transmissions take ATF+4 transmission fluid; not Dexron IV or Mercon. Make sure you let your mechanic know ! It's available at most parts stores or at the local Dodge/Chrysler Jeep dealer. I've replaced the engine oil and filter every 3000 miles and the trans fluid and filter every 30,000 miles with of course ATF+4. I don't know it all, but I hope this review helps fellow Caravan owners on what to look out for and not getting ripped off for a new transmission when it just may be a simple $200 computer ! Overall, still runs great, no headgasket problems or overheating, shifts well and took it to So.Cal. from Texas and back without a problem. Still averages 17 MPG around town and 25 MPG on the highway !"

Definantly Worth It...

By on Sunday, January 11, 2015

"I bought this vehicle brand new in '03 and has been totally reliable throughout the 11 years I have it so far. I would recommend this car to anyone. I purchased it because I have a family of 4 and my brother's old Ford truck wasn't going to work. Now, me and my son use it as the 'Fishmobile' and keep all of our fishing supplies in there, such as fishing poles and tackle and still remains very reliable, even to have 330,000 miles on it."

Best vehicle I have owner

By on Thursday, October 22, 2009

"I bought this van used in Jan. '08. It had 169775 miles when I bought it. It has been rock solid in every way. It now has 200,900 miles and has NO issues with any system except the P/S pump is a little noisy when cold. It even smells new inside. I would not take any sum for it if I could not get another one. I am a professional mechanic and have customers with these vehicles. One has several from near new to one with over 300,000 miles. I see very few major issues with these vehicles overall. The frontal crash safety is very good. I HIGHLY recommend them as long as they have the 3.3 or 3.8 engine. I do not recommend the 4 cylinder."

Excellent minivan

By on Sunday, April 20, 2014

Pros: "Roomy Comfortable, Versitile, Economical"

Cons: "The speedo only goes up to 120."

Great looking car, always in style.

"I purchased this vehicle new. It is a great car. Smooth ride powerful yet very economical 3.8 L v6 Engine has great power for passing and is silky smooth and quiet at cruise. I regularly travel to the southern USA and cruise at 75 to 80 mph speeds fully loaded with ease. My SXT has 4 wheel disk brakes and the responsive handling and strong brakes saved me from a serious collision, when another car cut across the road right in front of me! I do keep the car hand washed and waxed, the original paint is 10 years old and still looks beautiful. The seats are very comfortable and the interior can perform a multitude of functions, Hauling kids, or dogs, or cargo or any combination is a snap!"

Great looking car, always in style.

Would Not Buy Again

By on Sunday, November 04, 2007

"I've had my Dodge Grand Caravan for 5 years and have driven it like a battle wagon; took to kids to school for a long time, back and forth to the barn, couple of beach vacations, family visits in country. Has performed reasonably well, but really starting to fall apart at 125,000 miles. Leaks oil, eats brakes and tires, won't turn right in the morning when cold, AC has sprung a HUGE leak, and now I don't even have heat. Suspension did not last at all well. I will say it cranks reliably and has not broken down on the side of the road yet, but I expected it to last longer. Mechanic always SMILES when he sees me coming... not a good sign."

Keeps you safe....

By on Wednesday, August 22, 2007

"I was involved in an accident with this vehicle and walked away with what people call minor injuries with being hit at 45+ mph on the drivers side. This vehicle made me feel safe looking at it and saying WOW, and this is all I got out that. I would buy a new one with the stow and go seating in a heart beat."

Easy to repair if you are a "Shade Tree" mechanic.

By on Saturday, August 17, 2013

Pros: "Comfort, easy to repair (if you have a clue)"

Cons: "RUST issues in fender wells and rocker panels"

"I've owned Caravan's, Voyager's and a Town and Country since 1984. I have only one thing to say bad about the 2001-2007 model years... RUST! If you get one with clean rocker panels in the "salt belt" then it's a rare bird. Better undercoat it quick to keep it that way... The 1996-2000 years were much better about rust and you will likely find older ones with better body integrity then the newer, sad to say. Here's a trick that helped me get 314,098 miles out of an all wheel drive 1992 version and over 200,000 miles on 5 more up to a 2005 model; Instead of using a Fram PH-16 oil filter (or equivalent), try using a PH-8A Filter instead, has twice the filter area and keeps the oil MUCH cleaner, use FULL synthetic oil too. Happy motoring! 3.3 Liter motor is indestructible if taken care of..."

Best van I have ever owned

By on Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Pros: "good value for money fun to drive dependable"

Cons: "Cup holders in rear seats were a problem."

"More than enough room even when fully loaded with passengers. Stow away feature afforded us plenty of room for cargo Wife is an invalid so later on had lift installed for scooter but still had great room Great ride in snow and rain Excelent ride on dry roads Great vehicle for travel Now have a 2011 Van also and it is even better"

My hot car

By on Tuesday, November 20, 2007

"I got this car as a retired rental at 25,000 miles and have run it up to 102,000. It has always been smooth and comfortable and easy to live with. The one thing that has killed my enjoyment of it is the air conditioner. When I got it the rear evaporator had to be replaced under warranty, then at 49000 the compressor seized (we talked Chrysler into giving us the part but I was out $500 for labor), then at 70,000 the front evaporator failed. I've endured two hot Kansas summers with no A/C and it hasn't been much fun."

Buy a good warranty!

By on Thursday, November 08, 2007

"2005 Grand Caravan SXT - bought it when it was 1 yr. old & had 16K miles, Now has 39K after 11 months. It's been at the dealer 3 times just for an airbag light that wouldn't go off, finally fixed. The transmission was rebuilt at 37K after slipping out of gear on the highway (not to mention the dealer had it for nearly a month waiting for parts) steering shaft problems since day 1, now it needs a rack & pinion & power steering pump ($1200) not covered by warranty. Plus an extra key will set you back $200! If you buy one, two pieces of advice, 1. Buy a GOOD warranty, you'll need it! and 2. Pay thousands below book value (like I did)! My Infiniti has over twice the miles this van has and hasn't had half the problems this van has had. And to think I bought this over an import! This one won't be around for much longer and I'll never by a Dodge again."

Extremely Comfortable, bad radiator & trans.

By on Thursday, June 19, 2014

"Extremely Comfortable to ride and drive. we bought it used in 2010 with ~69K mi. Within 9 months, the a/c went. Then, a few months later, some electrical issues in dashboard, and rear bulbs kept burning out. Within a year after, the radiator started acting up, and finally went in 2013, needed replacement. Not too long after that, the gearshift started slowly slipping, speed sensors were blamed and replaced, fast forward to May 2014, the slippage became what I termed the intermittent "bucking bronco" and finally the Caravan refused to leave the safety of 1st gear and I was then told by the mechanic candidly:'to be honest with you sir, Caravans keep us in business.' Oh yeah, and they don't do transmissions, but the can recommend a place."

Best all around vehicle I have owned.

By on Sunday, October 23, 2011

Cons: "city mileage"

"This is the most practical and versital vehicle I have owned. Beats any family pickup because of its ability to haul passengers or cargo and is still as comfortable as a full size sedan. It will be hard to part with."

Value overcomes issues

By on Tuesday, January 15, 2008

"Bought w/32K miles, understanding that transmission is an ongoing issue in Chrysler mini vans. Sure enough, had to replace transmission at 80,000 miles. We got such a good deal and have driven 50K miles, so I can't complain about the value. Will buy another only if power train warranty is more than the 70,000 miles they offered on the '04s."

good value for the money

By on Monday, September 10, 2007

"Leased my 2006 Grand Caravan SXT new. Looked at the Sienna, but price was a concern. We drive quite a bit as both our kids are involved in sports yearround. Have 52,000 miles on it. Have performed regular maintenance on it. Replaced front brakes at 45,000 miles (not bad since this is a heavy vehicle and takes some muscle to stop). Rear brakes were about 50% worn. Will need new tires before winter hits. Handles great in snow and ice (I commute about 40 miles to work in southwest Ohio-more ice than snow). I have found the front seats to be quite comfortable, however the rear seats (stow 'n go) are rather rigid. Have taken several long trips-love all the cargo room with the bench folded down. No need for a top carrier to carry all our fishing gear and luggage! Only problem-paint peeled off the rear bumber about 10 months after we leased. Fixed under warranty, but what a hassle! Took almost 6 months to get repair approved. Plan to buy at lease end...not crazy about the 2008s."

Will never buy this car again

By on Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Cons: "Low Quality"

"If you are looking to spend $1000-$2000 a year on repairs, then this is the right car for you. I have replaced the steering rack twice ($700 repair), the alternator, the rear A/C, some sensors, etc. A total piece of junk."

Good Van, Roomy

By on Friday, March 08, 2013

Pros: "Dependable, Roomy"

Cons: "Gas Guzzler"

"We drove a 2001 Dodge Caravan until it was totaled in a car accident in 2013. Bought it in 2008, never cost us more than oil changes, gas, tuneups, and tires. The van was beginning to creek up front, that may have ended up being something we would have had to fix, but the van was totaled before we could get it to a shop. Loads of room, could very comfortably fit 7. Well designed inside control panel."

Poor reliability

By on Saturday, November 07, 2009

"Dodge always makes a good, full featured car. We originally owned a 2001 that was great up until 60K miles, and when it needed a major repair we traded to the 2005. We discovered many cost-cutting areas such as removing the light from the glove-compartment, removing color from icons on the doors and only leaving raised ridges among others. Brakes are notoriously poor, and will require complete replacement including rotors every 20K miles. We're at 80K and it's regular as clockwork, we're about to have our 4th set put on. Our blower motor has gone twice. Another major issue with these vans is the power sliding doors. The plastic tracks tend to twist and break. We have replaced the passenger side track twice at $300 each time, we have not bothered with the other side because it still manually opens OK. However, once the track breaks the door locks no longer operate so we have to lock and unlock that door by hand (reaching in and back from the front seat). The BCM module also is prone to failure, which controls the remote locks, etc. Sometimes you can fix it by pulling the fuse for 5 minutes and letting it reset, but other times you have to get it reprogrammed by the dealer. I have not had to go that far so I can't tell you what it costs. There have been numerous other repairs, but nothing that has been repetitive. Just an ongoing headache. The front end has had a strange sound from one week into owning that no dealer has ever been able to diagnose. Last, as another reviewer posted, you cannot fit 3 car seats across the rear bench seat. Just an item that needs to be noted if you have 5 kids as we do. Thankfully our oldest is big enough to not need one anymore. We are now looking at a Ford E350 or a Dodge Sprinter (made by Mercedes not Dodge) so that we can get rid of this thing before our next trip. Google these issues and you will find them repeatedly. BEWARE. It is an ok vehicle, but needs a lot of upkeep."

All Around Great Car

By on Wednesday, June 10, 2009

"This car drives great. Very smooth and picks up quick on highways. Pretty sporty. The seats are so comfortable. More so then newer cars I've been in. The cup holder adjust to the size of your cup, very handy. Whether you're trying to store a baby bottle or a large coffee your drink won't budge. The middle row has it's own pair of cup holders that also adjust and the third row has non-adjusting cup holders. The central air in the car is fantastic! It has tons of air vents all over the place. The side doors slide open and latch into place. That comes in handy when you're parked on a hill. Many of the side doors on other minivans don't latch in place and I've had them slide shut on my legs when I was parked on my hill trying to pull my kids out. The latching mechanism is a life saver! I was on this site looking to trade my car in for an 8 passenger instead of our current 7 passenger. It's going to be hard to let this car go."

Real Dads drive minivans

By on Wednesday, April 02, 2008

"I had this minivan for almost 6 years and drove for 128K miles in it. We comfortably transported a family of six with luggage and baseball team gear. Fully load the minivan still had good acceleration and still averaged almost 21mpg hwy. The functionality and versatility of this vehical was awesome!!!! Repairs over the life of ownership consisted of replacing a fan motor for the A/C at 126K and a brake caliper at 98k. Not bad for a vehicle we drove to 13 different states."

no brainer for the family

By on Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Pros: "great price, reliable, good on gas, great family v"

Cons: "make sure you keep you transmission serviced."

"I bought my 2005 dodge grand caravan used, with about 89,000 on it at a super buy, and a one owner to boot. I would not have bought most vehicles with this mileage, but after reading several reviews of people not wanted to give them up, I guess that is why so many have high mileage. they tend on average to go 300,000 or 400,000 miles. they are a good buy for the money used or new, compared to Honda and Toyota vans. remember they are the founding father, of what we know as the mini van."

Best vehicle I have ever owned.

By on Monday, February 17, 2014

Pros: "economical, dependable, and makes a great camper!"

Cons: "replaced power window motors 3 times total."

"I'm getting ready to sell this for a newer model. 335,000 miles, and still runs like new. Never touched engine or transmission, except for normal maintenance. I kept maintenance records on this Van, and my cost to own, counting everything , including Sales tax and license plates, trailer hitch install..... and even car washes! (not counting insurance) is 21.3 cents per mile. My 4th Grand Caravan, and I'm buying a Town & Country this time."

Love this car. My 3rd Caravan.

By on Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Pros: "Great driver, hauler, and tows great."

Cons: "None."

"I have driven my previous Caravans to over 250000 miles each with little or no problems. Best family car on the road. Reliable and practical."

THEY SAID IT WOULD NOT LAST

By on Friday, March 16, 2012

Pros: "Holds 7 people, comfortable high ride"

Cons: "poor hardware e.g. knobs and cup holders break or"

"I bought the van new for under $18,000. I was advised it was unreliable and had poor trade value and should buy a Japanese car that was $5,000 more. Now, 8 years and 130,000 miles later the van still runs like a dream."

love this van, would buy another one

By on Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Pros: "Very reliable"

"Great van for a family. Only wear and tear problems. I put 160,000 miles on in 7 years of owning this van. Drove over 4000 miles on one family trip, no problems, is big enough for our family of 6 and our stuff for a one week road trip. Just used a small cloth carrier on top. Only big problem was the automatic passenger side window slipping off track."

Thank the Heavens!

By on Saturday, January 21, 2012

"Was recently in a accident which tottalled my Caravan, smashed the whole front, it was a pretty bad accident. I am writing this though to inform people that the Caravan saved me. With the airbags and engine went down towards the ground and not into my legs which I was worried about at first when I couldn't see the front of the van and my legs hurt, but that was from an airbag under the steering wheel. Anyway as the driver I felt like I was lucky, not sure if you have passangers though which is what a minivan is about and hope I never have to find that one out!!"