2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Passenger

7.6

Based on 783 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

Definantly Worth It...

By on Sunday, January 11, 2015

"I bought this vehicle brand new in '03 and has been totally reliable throughout the 11 years I have it so far. I would recommend this car to anyone. I purchased it because I have a family of 4 and my brother's old Ford truck wasn't going to work. Now, me and my son use it as the 'Fishmobile' and keep all of our fishing supplies in there, such as fishing poles and tackle and still remains very reliable, even to have 330,000 miles on it."

Best van I have ever owned

By on Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Pros: "good value for money fun to drive dependable"

Cons: "Cup holders in rear seats were a problem."

"More than enough room even when fully loaded with passengers. Stow away feature afforded us plenty of room for cargo Wife is an invalid so later on had lift installed for scooter but still had great room Great ride in snow and rain Excelent ride on dry roads Great vehicle for travel Now have a 2011 Van also and it is even better"

Easy to repair if you are a "Shade Tree" mechanic.

By on Saturday, August 17, 2013

Pros: "Comfort, easy to repair (if you have a clue)"

Cons: "RUST issues in fender wells and rocker panels"

"I've owned Caravan's, Voyager's and a Town and Country since 1984. I have only one thing to say bad about the 2001-2007 model years... RUST! If you get one with clean rocker panels in the "salt belt" then it's a rare bird. Better undercoat it quick to keep it that way... The 1996-2000 years were much better about rust and you will likely find older ones with better body integrity then the newer, sad to say. Here's a trick that helped me get 314,098 miles out of an all wheel drive 1992 version and over 200,000 miles on 5 more up to a 2005 model; Instead of using a Fram PH-16 oil filter (or equivalent), try using a PH-8A Filter instead, has twice the filter area and keeps the oil MUCH cleaner, use FULL synthetic oil too. Happy motoring! 3.3 Liter motor is indestructible if taken care of..."

My hot car

By on Tuesday, November 20, 2007

"I got this car as a retired rental at 25,000 miles and have run it up to 102,000. It has always been smooth and comfortable and easy to live with. The one thing that has killed my enjoyment of it is the air conditioner. When I got it the rear evaporator had to be replaced under warranty, then at 49000 the compressor seized (we talked Chrysler into giving us the part but I was out $500 for labor), then at 70,000 the front evaporator failed. I've endured two hot Kansas summers with no A/C and it hasn't been much fun."

Buy a good warranty!

By on Thursday, November 08, 2007

"2005 Grand Caravan SXT - bought it when it was 1 yr. old & had 16K miles, Now has 39K after 11 months. It's been at the dealer 3 times just for an airbag light that wouldn't go off, finally fixed. The transmission was rebuilt at 37K after slipping out of gear on the highway (not to mention the dealer had it for nearly a month waiting for parts) steering shaft problems since day 1, now it needs a rack & pinion & power steering pump ($1200) not covered by warranty. Plus an extra key will set you back $200! If you buy one, two pieces of advice, 1. Buy a GOOD warranty, you'll need it! and 2. Pay thousands below book value (like I did)! My Infiniti has over twice the miles this van has and hasn't had half the problems this van has had. And to think I bought this over an import! This one won't be around for much longer and I'll never by a Dodge again."

Extremely Comfortable, bad radiator & trans.

By on Thursday, June 19, 2014

"Extremely Comfortable to ride and drive. we bought it used in 2010 with ~69K mi. Within 9 months, the a/c went. Then, a few months later, some electrical issues in dashboard, and rear bulbs kept burning out. Within a year after, the radiator started acting up, and finally went in 2013, needed replacement. Not too long after that, the gearshift started slowly slipping, speed sensors were blamed and replaced, fast forward to May 2014, the slippage became what I termed the intermittent "bucking bronco" and finally the Caravan refused to leave the safety of 1st gear and I was then told by the mechanic candidly:'to be honest with you sir, Caravans keep us in business.' Oh yeah, and they don't do transmissions, but the can recommend a place."

Best all around vehicle I have owned.

By on Sunday, October 23, 2011

Cons: "city mileage"

"This is the most practical and versital vehicle I have owned. Beats any family pickup because of its ability to haul passengers or cargo and is still as comfortable as a full size sedan. It will be hard to part with."

Value overcomes issues

By on Tuesday, January 15, 2008

"Bought w/32K miles, understanding that transmission is an ongoing issue in Chrysler mini vans. Sure enough, had to replace transmission at 80,000 miles. We got such a good deal and have driven 50K miles, so I can't complain about the value. Will buy another only if power train warranty is more than the 70,000 miles they offered on the '04s."

good value for the money

By on Monday, September 10, 2007

"Leased my 2006 Grand Caravan SXT new. Looked at the Sienna, but price was a concern. We drive quite a bit as both our kids are involved in sports yearround. Have 52,000 miles on it. Have performed regular maintenance on it. Replaced front brakes at 45,000 miles (not bad since this is a heavy vehicle and takes some muscle to stop). Rear brakes were about 50% worn. Will need new tires before winter hits. Handles great in snow and ice (I commute about 40 miles to work in southwest Ohio-more ice than snow). I have found the front seats to be quite comfortable, however the rear seats (stow 'n go) are rather rigid. Have taken several long trips-love all the cargo room with the bench folded down. No need for a top carrier to carry all our fishing gear and luggage! Only problem-paint peeled off the rear bumber about 10 months after we leased. Fixed under warranty, but what a hassle! Took almost 6 months to get repair approved. Plan to buy at lease end...not crazy about the 2008s."

Will never buy this car again

By on Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Cons: "Low Quality"

"If you are looking to spend $1000-$2000 a year on repairs, then this is the right car for you. I have replaced the steering rack twice ($700 repair), the alternator, the rear A/C, some sensors, etc. A total piece of junk."

Good Van, Roomy

By on Friday, March 08, 2013

Pros: "Dependable, Roomy"

Cons: "Gas Guzzler"

"We drove a 2001 Dodge Caravan until it was totaled in a car accident in 2013. Bought it in 2008, never cost us more than oil changes, gas, tuneups, and tires. The van was beginning to creek up front, that may have ended up being something we would have had to fix, but the van was totaled before we could get it to a shop. Loads of room, could very comfortably fit 7. Well designed inside control panel."

Poor reliability

By on Saturday, November 07, 2009

"Dodge always makes a good, full featured car. We originally owned a 2001 that was great up until 60K miles, and when it needed a major repair we traded to the 2005. We discovered many cost-cutting areas such as removing the light from the glove-compartment, removing color from icons on the doors and only leaving raised ridges among others. Brakes are notoriously poor, and will require complete replacement including rotors every 20K miles. We're at 80K and it's regular as clockwork, we're about to have our 4th set put on. Our blower motor has gone twice. Another major issue with these vans is the power sliding doors. The plastic tracks tend to twist and break. We have replaced the passenger side track twice at $300 each time, we have not bothered with the other side because it still manually opens OK. However, once the track breaks the door locks no longer operate so we have to lock and unlock that door by hand (reaching in and back from the front seat). The BCM module also is prone to failure, which controls the remote locks, etc. Sometimes you can fix it by pulling the fuse for 5 minutes and letting it reset, but other times you have to get it reprogrammed by the dealer. I have not had to go that far so I can't tell you what it costs. There have been numerous other repairs, but nothing that has been repetitive. Just an ongoing headache. The front end has had a strange sound from one week into owning that no dealer has ever been able to diagnose. Last, as another reviewer posted, you cannot fit 3 car seats across the rear bench seat. Just an item that needs to be noted if you have 5 kids as we do. Thankfully our oldest is big enough to not need one anymore. We are now looking at a Ford E350 or a Dodge Sprinter (made by Mercedes not Dodge) so that we can get rid of this thing before our next trip. Google these issues and you will find them repeatedly. BEWARE. It is an ok vehicle, but needs a lot of upkeep."

All Around Great Car

By on Wednesday, June 10, 2009

"This car drives great. Very smooth and picks up quick on highways. Pretty sporty. The seats are so comfortable. More so then newer cars I've been in. The cup holder adjust to the size of your cup, very handy. Whether you're trying to store a baby bottle or a large coffee your drink won't budge. The middle row has it's own pair of cup holders that also adjust and the third row has non-adjusting cup holders. The central air in the car is fantastic! It has tons of air vents all over the place. The side doors slide open and latch into place. That comes in handy when you're parked on a hill. Many of the side doors on other minivans don't latch in place and I've had them slide shut on my legs when I was parked on my hill trying to pull my kids out. The latching mechanism is a life saver! I was on this site looking to trade my car in for an 8 passenger instead of our current 7 passenger. It's going to be hard to let this car go."

Real Dads drive minivans

By on Wednesday, April 02, 2008

"I had this minivan for almost 6 years and drove for 128K miles in it. We comfortably transported a family of six with luggage and baseball team gear. Fully load the minivan still had good acceleration and still averaged almost 21mpg hwy. The functionality and versatility of this vehical was awesome!!!! Repairs over the life of ownership consisted of replacing a fan motor for the A/C at 126K and a brake caliper at 98k. Not bad for a vehicle we drove to 13 different states."

no brainer for the family

By on Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Pros: "great price, reliable, good on gas, great family v"

Cons: "make sure you keep you transmission serviced."

"I bought my 2005 dodge grand caravan used, with about 89,000 on it at a super buy, and a one owner to boot. I would not have bought most vehicles with this mileage, but after reading several reviews of people not wanted to give them up, I guess that is why so many have high mileage. they tend on average to go 300,000 or 400,000 miles. they are a good buy for the money used or new, compared to Honda and Toyota vans. remember they are the founding father, of what we know as the mini van."

Best vehicle I have ever owned.

By on Monday, February 17, 2014

Pros: "economical, dependable, and makes a great camper!"

Cons: "replaced power window motors 3 times total."

"I'm getting ready to sell this for a newer model. 335,000 miles, and still runs like new. Never touched engine or transmission, except for normal maintenance. I kept maintenance records on this Van, and my cost to own, counting everything , including Sales tax and license plates, trailer hitch install..... and even car washes! (not counting insurance) is 21.3 cents per mile. My 4th Grand Caravan, and I'm buying a Town & Country this time."

Love this car. My 3rd Caravan.

By on Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Pros: "Great driver, hauler, and tows great."

Cons: "None."

"I have driven my previous Caravans to over 250000 miles each with little or no problems. Best family car on the road. Reliable and practical."

THEY SAID IT WOULD NOT LAST

By on Friday, March 16, 2012

Pros: "Holds 7 people, comfortable high ride"

Cons: "poor hardware e.g. knobs and cup holders break or"

"I bought the van new for under $18,000. I was advised it was unreliable and had poor trade value and should buy a Japanese car that was $5,000 more. Now, 8 years and 130,000 miles later the van still runs like a dream."

love this van, would buy another one

By on Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Pros: "Very reliable"

"Great van for a family. Only wear and tear problems. I put 160,000 miles on in 7 years of owning this van. Drove over 4000 miles on one family trip, no problems, is big enough for our family of 6 and our stuff for a one week road trip. Just used a small cloth carrier on top. Only big problem was the automatic passenger side window slipping off track."

Thank the Heavens!

By on Saturday, January 21, 2012

"Was recently in a accident which tottalled my Caravan, smashed the whole front, it was a pretty bad accident. I am writing this though to inform people that the Caravan saved me. With the airbags and engine went down towards the ground and not into my legs which I was worried about at first when I couldn't see the front of the van and my legs hurt, but that was from an airbag under the steering wheel. Anyway as the driver I felt like I was lucky, not sure if you have passangers though which is what a minivan is about and hope I never have to find that one out!!"

Best one we have ever owned

By on Monday, November 07, 2011

Pros: "easy to manuever, price is good"

"We have been driving this van for 6 years, put on 155,000 miles on it, stacked 5 children in it and have no complaints. I think for accessibility for car seats, ease of travel, and dependability this is hard to beat. Nothing like a ride you can count on. Yay for the DODGE CARAVAN SPORT!!"

To many problems

By on Sunday, June 15, 2008

"Bought it brand new in May 02, at 45k had to replace power steering pump, at 71500 had to replace ac condenser and compressor, at 71750 had to replace main engine computer ( thankfully the warranty was good to 72000), at 94,000 I had to replace the rack and pinion, I have maintained this per dodge mileage recommendations, and have been very disappointed with it's reliability. Driving comfort is very good and the 3.3 liter engine has a good bit of power"

Awesome minivan

By on Friday, May 16, 2008

"We bought our 2001 EX new. It's now 5/08 and havent had any major problems with it. Been at the dealer once for ac temp adjustments, and for one recall, but that is all. Bought it for 3rd car and was only using for road trips, but now use it for everyday. Just love it!!! Hubby is 6' 4" and didnt fit in others well so we choose the dodge, best choice weve made so far buying a car."

Pretty good van!!!

By on Tuesday, May 06, 2008

"We bought our 02 GrandCaravan ES AWD in Oct 01. We have put every single mile of 117,000 on it. I read up on the tranny issues (esp AWD)and bought the extended 100K warentee just for powertrain -- NEVER needed it!! I think the MAJOR difference is getting the towing pkg with the separate trans cooler. This van has been thru blizzards in CO, MN, KY, and OH. Hurricanes in AL, GA, and FL. VERY sure footed!! We put around 20K miles/yr on it -- in fact we take it everywhere: a testament to its comfort & convenience. I'm gunning for at least 200K before selling it -- most people cannot believe it's as old/many miles as it has. I can count on 1 hand the number of handwashes it has gotten in 7 yrs but uncountable trips thru the old automatic washers and paint sill looks great. It's a SHAME they dont make AWD in the new version -- in fact that is the only reason I'll be replacing it with a Sienna AWD and NOT for reliability issues others have already stated. Other than regular maintenace, the AC siezed at 99K (wore it out), new engine gaskets/seals at 110K (wore them out), and a freak exhaust weld failure that i thought blew up the engine (but only cost $85 to reweld), I love the 7500 mile oil change interval -- much to the ire of the auto care places trying to brainwash everyone into "EVERY 3000" Like someone posted previously, i definitely will try and pick up an 04 AWD if this one gets hit before 200K"

LOVE this van!!!!

By on Monday, February 04, 2008

"I bought my 2005 Dodge used almost 2 years ago at 20K miles. It now has 60K miles and is in the shop as I am typing, but only for regular stuff - tires, brakes & timing belt. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this van. We have taken it on many trips - from NC to FL, NC to NY, NC to CA.... We are going back to FL in 6 weeks and I have no doubts this car will take us there and back safely. We DO NOT pack light on our trips, but this car always has plenty of room for luggage and our two dogs. This is by far the best car to take on long trips. The seats are very soft unlike the hard seats they are putting in cars today - whats up with that? It can hold a whole sheet of plywood with the seats folded down. And with the seats out, it can hold a riding mower!!! : )"