1999 Dodge Grand Caravan Passenger

7.6

Based on 364 Ratings for the 1996 - 2000 models.

Solid Machine

By on Sunday, August 05, 2007

"This is our second Caravan and I'm looking forward to owning a third. It's super reliable, economical, comfortable, versatile and a joy to drive or ride in. We've used it on long road-trips and it's perfect for that as well. I'd recommend it to anyone. Pull out the back seats and you have a covered pickup truck or a camper. Buy one if you get the chance! Our current one has over 275,000 miles and it's still going strong."

Comfortable workhorse

By on Monday, September 17, 2007

"I have loved this car for the 7 seven years I have owned it. It is like an old friend - low maintenance and dependable. Only recently has it started costing a few bucks to repair as it now has 136,000 miles on it. Engine shows no signs of wear or of giving up any time soon and it runs smoothly and quietly. We have traveled extensively in this vehicle, most recently on college tours driving over 3,000 miles in a month - all of them comfortable and worry-free. Had replaced both the condenser and the compressor in the AC unit and recently had a leak in that system fixed for short money. But other than that it has been routine maintenance. Wish I still needed a minivan, but I'm reluctantly trading into a hybrid for the mileage. It has still been cheaper to run this car at 18.4 MPG (onboard computer not reset in several months) with it's cheap insurance and no car payments, than to buy a new car. I'm still struggling with trading it in and might just keep it for an extra vehicle - it's been that much fun and that reliable."

The best vehicle I have ever owned.

By on Thursday, December 04, 2014

Pros: "Longevity of life with regular oil changes."

Cons: "Cup holders in front of A/C and heat controls"

"I bought this van brand new. My first new car ever. It has been a great car with VERY LITTLE mechanical issues. I have only had 1 major repair and that was while it was under warrantee. I got between 20-24MPG, but the comfort and space was worth it. I am would definitely buy a new van with the same features."

van happy

By on Saturday, July 14, 2007

"I have had my van since nov 98 and have not had any problems with it. The gas mileage has always held wonderful. My van currently has over 120k miles and is still running excellent. The only thing that I could complain is on long trips the front seats are not the most comfortable. I did not have power seats and that may make a difference. My van has been worth it."

Amazing Longevity!

By on Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Pros: "Great price, great reliability, parts easy to get"

Cons: "boring, some body rust, weak A/C"

"I bought my Grand Caravan while on a trip to southwestern Minnesota. The thing had 220,000 miles on it, but I took a chance anyway for $800. I've now had it more than three years and it's still running. It has not needed any major repairs, maybe just brakes once. I also use it for my painting and outdoor services business, and it often tows a trailer. I really, really did not expect it to last this long."

Loved this vehicle!

By on Tuesday, April 03, 2012

I own this car

"Loved this vehicle! I hated to give it up. I was afraid of it's age. Good ride, nice to drive and everyone was comfortable in it. I guess we were lucky because I read bad things in Consumer Reports but ours was a jewel!"

My best Vechile Purchase Ever

By on Thursday, July 04, 2013

Pros: "reliablity, value"

"The reason I'm on here looking is I was involved in an accendent, it was not my fault, and they will probably total my van. I love this thing. I have owned many cars in my life, and this van has by far been the best most reliable vechile I've ever owned. I hope they fix it, and I don't have to go car shoping, because I don't want to."

trouble early but good since

By on Saturday, February 23, 2013

Pros: "exterior styling reliabity"

Cons: "no stow n go. brakes"

"Bought this 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport new in Dec. 1999! had to take it back for a minor issue. Then several more minor issues(all covered under warranty) was frustrating!BUT I must say it has been a good van. Decent gas mileage (mine registers 19.6 overall. Brakes seem to go out more quickly than most vehicles. BUT again I must say this van has never left me at the side of the road. I like the styling better than any other out there today. I do yearn for stow n go...but after reading reviews of different models and model years I may just keep my dependable van, til I am proven wrong."

reliability has been fantastic

By on Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Pros: "reliability, maintenance costs, rides well"

Cons: "seats are heavy to remove"

"We bought our grand caravan new in August, 1997 because we needed more room for our young family. It has been from Kansas to: Phoenix twice; Washington D.C. twice; Flagstaff; and Nashville without a worry to us. It doubles as our "truck" to haul just about whatever we need. We have had to replace the instrument board ($1000) and the solenoid, but other than basic maintenance we have had minimal operating costs. I have heard of other people who have had transmission issues, but so far none for us. I would buy another if we still needed the capacity."

Highly dependable

By on Thursday, July 08, 2010

"Got the car with over 100k miles and have put on over 130,000 myself with no major mechanical work. Have traveled to Wisc. four times, Florida twice, and various regional trips and have always been satisfied with the performance."

Roomy

By on Sunday, November 04, 2007

"Easily could have lasted over 350,000km, very roomy cabin space. Excellent for long trips. Nothing at all went wrong for this one. We kept it in good shape. It was a 99 Grand Caravan SE AWD. Once in Winnipeg, it stormed so bad that alot of people were left stranded and shoveling. The old van just drove right out of it's parking spot with no trouble. Twice! Great fuel eco. I sold it at 225,000 km."

We've loved this van

By on Friday, November 02, 2007

"My husband and I bought our minivan in 1999. This has been an extremely reliable, comfortable car. We've had it regularly serviced and have put on about 11,000/year. It's still in good shape (except the AC finally gave out). We have the Sport model which has a heavy duty suspension, extra insulation and sport wheels. It has been a dream to drive. Best car purchase we ever made."

best car yet

By on Wednesday, October 31, 2007

"I now have 293,500 miles on it and it's still going on the first engine and 2nd tranny. I bought it used with 116,000 miles off lease. I'm a single guy and have used it for camping and kayaking including many long trips along the Lewis and Clark trail. I will soon make it to 300,000 miles when I will detail it in celebration. I am looking at newer vans and will buy another Grand Caravan."

No wonder is the #1 best seller

By on Saturday, August 04, 2007

"My 2005 Grand Caravan SXT just turned 68,000 miles. This vehicle has been 100% reliable and I've only had to perform routine maintenance. The only warranty work performed was a recent recall to replace the secondary air bag sensors. Fuel mileage exceeds EPA ratings. I get 19-20MPG city and have hit as high as 28MPG highway with 6 adults onboard. All on 87 octance regular gas since the 3.8L V6 doesn't require mid or premium grade fuel like some of the foreign competition. Considering the severe duty mine gets, the fuel mileage, performance and reliability are amazing. While the horsepower and torque ratings aren't as high as some, I can't imagine anyone being disappointed in the performance. This thing is more than decent off the line and the power seems to come on strong in the mid-range and beyond. Accelerating from 50 MPH up to 80-90 MPH is quick. You'll surprise alot of sport sedan drivers in how well you can keep up, to 110MPH if you'd like. Passing is absolutely no hassle. It delivers 20 MPG cruising at 80 MPH. Handling is suprisingly good for a minivan. Extremely stable, solid cornering, and decent brakes. Once I got rid of the Bridgestone Turanza tires at 47,000 miles that came with it new and repalced them with Michelin HydroEdges the handling improved dramatically. While styling is a subjective thing, I think the Dodge/Chrysler minivans that were redesigned back in 2001 are the best looking on the road. Mines loaded with everything from dual power sliders to a power liftgate, rear seat DVD video, rear A/C & heat, park sense backup systems, etc. I'm thankful my power sliders haven't failed like the ones on my co-workers Honda Odyssey nor do the Dodge Caravans have the catastrophic transmission failures like the Hondas do. The Stow'N'Go seating is fantastic. You can fold the second and third row seats in minutes and have a completely flat load floor, something none of the competitors can do. The second row seats can be uncomfortable for adults on longer trips but kids don't seem to notice."

Dependable

By on Sunday, August 21, 2011

"Bought this van new in June 1999 and it has been nothing but dependable. The most we have done for repairs have been with the suspension. The only complaint we have with the van, especially as it ages (although it has been aging well!), is that with the 3.3L engine, it doesn't seem to have enough "oomph" sometimes. Overall, we love it and it has been worth every penny we paid. Even with 161,000 miles, it is still going strong and with the exception of a few rust spots starting, it looks nice, too. The interior has held up especially well...and it had a work-out hauling three kids, friends, teammates, etc. over the years. All of the original equipment - AC, power windows, power seats, etc. still works as well as the day we bought it."

Longlasting 4k I ever spent.

By on Monday, July 19, 2010

"We bought this with 100k, and has about 165k and has never let us down."

Great Vehicle

By on Friday, July 27, 2007

"This is and has been a very reliable vehicle. I have the sport model. I've done scheduled upkeep. I just gave it its first tune up at 130,000 miles. It hasn't been necessary. It is very comfortable and for a 9 year old with 130,000 miles on it, in great shape. I've run synthetic oil in it since 35,000 miles. No engine or transmission problems. The 3.3 engine is a great engine. Seats & fabric have held up."

Best Value in its class

By on Friday, July 04, 2014

Pros: "Lots of Room, Runs & Looks great, Relaible,"

Cons: "None."

"Great car.Even after 17 years and 165,000 mile, it still runs and looks great> It is still serving us so well and engine is so quiet. we like Grand Caravan so much that we bought 2014 Grand Caravan as well. It is best value for the money in its class."

goog car

By on Thursday, March 21, 2013

Pros: "spacious,carry big items almost like a truck"

Cons: "gas mileage"

"One of the best vehicles I have ever owned"

1998 SE with 159,000 miles

By on Sunday, July 01, 2012

"My Dad and I bought this van while I was living with, and caring for him. He needed something to put his electric scooter in. He had a power lift put in the back which drew power from the car's battery. We got it used in 2004 for about $8000. He has passed away and now the vehicle is mine. I have used it to transport youth groups, the disabled women I work with and my adult children and their babies. The only problem I ever had with this car was the radiator and that cost me all of $300 to repair. Never had a problem at all with the transmission or engine. I was surprised as I was not very excited about American made vehicles. I am now passing the car on to one of my daughters and her husband so they can save money until they can another one. I, myself will be getting another used one as well. It has given me good service for many years and I am very pleased with it."

By on Sunday, June 20, 2010

"We bought this car new in 1999. 275,000 miles later we are still driving it. We have had to do few repairs: water pump, alternator and vacuum booster on the power brakes. We will have to fix the air conditioner this summer but that is it. We have used Mobil 1 for motor oil from the begining and changed the transmission fluid as prescribed. Don't know if it helped but it could have. Acquisition costs are down to 7 cents a mile! No complaints."

Good overall value

By on Friday, October 26, 2007

"Second Caravan, had a 91 first with the transmission from hades. The 96 is not quite as comfortable with the sport seating, but runs very well at 160k miles. No major issues with transmission or engine. 3.3ltr engine is a bit under powered for living in the mountains, but mileage is solid 21mpg. My 11 ft rowboat fits in the back with the seats out, plus washers, dryers, refrigerators, plywood, camping. Does it all! Brake jobs and tuneups are expensive, but the van is decent value overall. I would buy another one, but the new styling does not appeal to me at all. The dashboard in the newer models reminds me of a tombstone, and the seats are hard and unforgiving."

An excellent family vehicle

By on Saturday, October 20, 2007

"I bught mine with 100,002 mi. two months ago and I haven't had any problems with it since. I only had to change the brakes; which was really expensive ($749) Its really comfortable and the kids love it, specially after getting them a portable double screen DVD player at Bes Buy. You can't hear the engine running, it does over 30mpg on the highway and over 23mg in the city. Over all, this is AN EXCELLENT FAMILY VEHICLE."

Don't skimp on the options

By on Sunday, July 01, 2007

"I've been driving my Caravan for over a month now, and I am really sorry I settled for the smaller V-6 engine. Driving conservatively, I got 14.5 MPG in city driving in warm weather with the air conditioning on. Performance is somewhere between sluggish and adequate. We have a more basic model with a manual lift gate and sliding doors. I wouldn't do that again. On the plus side, we have been pleasantly surprised by the maneuverability for a large vehicle in a tight spot, and the Stow 'n Go seating is a major plus for versatility. We'd consider buying another one, but only if it's loaded with power accessories, putting it at the higher end of the price range."

My best Vechile Purchase Ever