1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Passenger

7.6

Based on 370 Ratings for the 1996 - 2000 models.

1998 SE with 159,000 miles

By on Sunday, July 01, 2012

"My Dad and I bought this van while I was living with, and caring for him. He needed something to put his electric scooter in. He had a power lift put in the back which drew power from the car's battery. We got it used in 2004 for about $8000. He has passed away and now the vehicle is mine. I have used it to transport youth groups, the disabled women I work with and my adult children and their babies. The only problem I ever had with this car was the radiator and that cost me all of $300 to repair. Never had a problem at all with the transmission or engine. I was surprised as I was not very excited about American made vehicles. I am now passing the car on to one of my daughters and her husband so they can save money until they can another one. I, myself will be getting another used one as well. It has given me good service for many years and I am very pleased with it."

By on Sunday, June 20, 2010

"We bought this car new in 1999. 275,000 miles later we are still driving it. We have had to do few repairs: water pump, alternator and vacuum booster on the power brakes. We will have to fix the air conditioner this summer but that is it. We have used Mobil 1 for motor oil from the begining and changed the transmission fluid as prescribed. Don't know if it helped but it could have. Acquisition costs are down to 7 cents a mile! No complaints."

Good overall value

By on Friday, October 26, 2007

"Second Caravan, had a 91 first with the transmission from hades. The 96 is not quite as comfortable with the sport seating, but runs very well at 160k miles. No major issues with transmission or engine. 3.3ltr engine is a bit under powered for living in the mountains, but mileage is solid 21mpg. My 11 ft rowboat fits in the back with the seats out, plus washers, dryers, refrigerators, plywood, camping. Does it all! Brake jobs and tuneups are expensive, but the van is decent value overall. I would buy another one, but the new styling does not appeal to me at all. The dashboard in the newer models reminds me of a tombstone, and the seats are hard and unforgiving."

An excellent family vehicle

By on Saturday, October 20, 2007

"I bught mine with 100,002 mi. two months ago and I haven't had any problems with it since. I only had to change the brakes; which was really expensive ($749) Its really comfortable and the kids love it, specially after getting them a portable double screen DVD player at Bes Buy. You can't hear the engine running, it does over 30mpg on the highway and over 23mg in the city. Over all, this is AN EXCELLENT FAMILY VEHICLE."

Don't skimp on the options

By on Sunday, July 01, 2007

"I've been driving my Caravan for over a month now, and I am really sorry I settled for the smaller V-6 engine. Driving conservatively, I got 14.5 MPG in city driving in warm weather with the air conditioning on. Performance is somewhere between sluggish and adequate. We have a more basic model with a manual lift gate and sliding doors. I wouldn't do that again. On the plus side, we have been pleasantly surprised by the maneuverability for a large vehicle in a tight spot, and the Stow 'n Go seating is a major plus for versatility. We'd consider buying another one, but only if it's loaded with power accessories, putting it at the higher end of the price range."