1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Passenger

7.6

Based on 364 Ratings for the 1996 - 2000 models.

Solid Machine

By on Sunday, August 05, 2007

"This is our second Caravan and I'm looking forward to owning a third. It's super reliable, economical, comfortable, versatile and a joy to drive or ride in. We've used it on long road-trips and it's perfect for that as well. I'd recommend it to anyone. Pull out the back seats and you have a covered pickup truck or a camper. Buy one if you get the chance! Our current one has over 275,000 miles and it's still going strong."

Comfortable workhorse

By on Monday, September 17, 2007

"I have loved this car for the 7 seven years I have owned it. It is like an old friend - low maintenance and dependable. Only recently has it started costing a few bucks to repair as it now has 136,000 miles on it. Engine shows no signs of wear or of giving up any time soon and it runs smoothly and quietly. We have traveled extensively in this vehicle, most recently on college tours driving over 3,000 miles in a month - all of them comfortable and worry-free. Had replaced both the condenser and the compressor in the AC unit and recently had a leak in that system fixed for short money. But other than that it has been routine maintenance. Wish I still needed a minivan, but I'm reluctantly trading into a hybrid for the mileage. It has still been cheaper to run this car at 18.4 MPG (onboard computer not reset in several months) with it's cheap insurance and no car payments, than to buy a new car. I'm still struggling with trading it in and might just keep it for an extra vehicle - it's been that much fun and that reliable."

The best vehicle I have ever owned.

By on Thursday, December 04, 2014

Pros: "Longevity of life with regular oil changes."

Cons: "Cup holders in front of A/C and heat controls"

"I bought this van brand new. My first new car ever. It has been a great car with VERY LITTLE mechanical issues. I have only had 1 major repair and that was while it was under warrantee. I got between 20-24MPG, but the comfort and space was worth it. I am would definitely buy a new van with the same features."

van happy

By on Saturday, July 14, 2007

"I have had my van since nov 98 and have not had any problems with it. The gas mileage has always held wonderful. My van currently has over 120k miles and is still running excellent. The only thing that I could complain is on long trips the front seats are not the most comfortable. I did not have power seats and that may make a difference. My van has been worth it."

Amazing Longevity!

By on Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Pros: "Great price, great reliability, parts easy to get"

Cons: "boring, some body rust, weak A/C"

"I bought my Grand Caravan while on a trip to southwestern Minnesota. The thing had 220,000 miles on it, but I took a chance anyway for $800. I've now had it more than three years and it's still running. It has not needed any major repairs, maybe just brakes once. I also use it for my painting and outdoor services business, and it often tows a trailer. I really, really did not expect it to last this long."

Loved this vehicle!

By on Tuesday, April 03, 2012

I own this car

"Loved this vehicle! I hated to give it up. I was afraid of it's age. Good ride, nice to drive and everyone was comfortable in it. I guess we were lucky because I read bad things in Consumer Reports but ours was a jewel!"

My best Vechile Purchase Ever

By on Thursday, July 04, 2013

Pros: "reliablity, value"

"The reason I'm on here looking is I was involved in an accendent, it was not my fault, and they will probably total my van. I love this thing. I have owned many cars in my life, and this van has by far been the best most reliable vechile I've ever owned. I hope they fix it, and I don't have to go car shoping, because I don't want to."

trouble early but good since

By on Saturday, February 23, 2013

Pros: "exterior styling reliabity"

Cons: "no stow n go. brakes"

"Bought this 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport new in Dec. 1999! had to take it back for a minor issue. Then several more minor issues(all covered under warranty) was frustrating!BUT I must say it has been a good van. Decent gas mileage (mine registers 19.6 overall. Brakes seem to go out more quickly than most vehicles. BUT again I must say this van has never left me at the side of the road. I like the styling better than any other out there today. I do yearn for stow n go...but after reading reviews of different models and model years I may just keep my dependable van, til I am proven wrong."

reliability has been fantastic

By on Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Pros: "reliability, maintenance costs, rides well"

Cons: "seats are heavy to remove"

"We bought our grand caravan new in August, 1997 because we needed more room for our young family. It has been from Kansas to: Phoenix twice; Washington D.C. twice; Flagstaff; and Nashville without a worry to us. It doubles as our "truck" to haul just about whatever we need. We have had to replace the instrument board ($1000) and the solenoid, but other than basic maintenance we have had minimal operating costs. I have heard of other people who have had transmission issues, but so far none for us. I would buy another if we still needed the capacity."

Highly dependable

By on Thursday, July 08, 2010

"Got the car with over 100k miles and have put on over 130,000 myself with no major mechanical work. Have traveled to Wisc. four times, Florida twice, and various regional trips and have always been satisfied with the performance."