1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Passenger

7.5

Based on 353 Ratings for the 1996 - 2000 models.

Great Family Vehicle!

By on Saturday, September 20, 2014

"This van has a lot of room! Great for traveling, shopping, moving and great with kids.This van is fun,comfortable and reliable for just every day."

great c ar for large family, camping &transporting

By on Thursday, August 14, 2014

Pros: "priced to sell easy drive full roof rack air dual"

Cons: "no gps"

"this car was bought new, has had only one owner, has been well maintained, has good tires and for the age of the car has low mileage. It has been a highly dependable car for travel and around town driving."

Great 2nd or third vehicle

By on Monday, August 11, 2014

Pros: "Drives good Great 2nd or 3rd vehicle"

Cons: "old with rust"

"nice to drive around town and back and forth to st louis"

great reliable family car

By on Sunday, July 06, 2014

Pros: "great family car"

Cons: "front breaks wear out every 60K"

"I have 230,000 on this car with really no major problems. The only weak point is the font brakes that have to be changed every 60,000 miles. Original engine and transmission. I average 22 mpg consistently. Great family car. Never rodded the radiator and now runs a bit hot with AC on and temps over 93F. AC still works like new after 14 years and has never needed charging. Alternator had to be replaced at 200K. Water pump replaced at 150K."

Best Value in its class

By on Friday, July 04, 2014

Pros: "Lots of Room, Runs & Looks great, Relaible,"

Cons: "None."

"Great car.Even after 17 years and 165,000 mile, it still runs and looks great> It is still serving us so well and engine is so quiet. we like Grand Caravan so much that we bought 2014 Grand Caravan as well. It is best value for the money in its class."

Dependable; served my needs to haul animals, etc

By on Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Cons: "Being an elderly lady, seats very hard to install."

"For my convenience related to our animal rescue, I removed the 2nd and 3rd seats and mostly used van for a cargo type vehicle, hauling animals, feed, building materials for animal shelters, etc. One problem was a/c quit(in August!)at approximately 190,000 miles. Bought it used so not sure of previous maintenance history. May have come from up north as body had a little of what appeared to be damage from road salt. Used mainly on unpaved roads resulting in considerable dust inside. Did not seem to be very "air-tight", interior, doors and rear lift hatch. A shiny new vehicle would not last long down here being used as this vehicle was used. A farm truck would probably best serve our needs. Still, I will really miss my van, but I now need a more reliable vehicle as it is beginning to nickel and dime me and will probably cost more to keep after 200,000 miles."

Worst vehicle I owned - and I bought it new

By on Tuesday, June 03, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable, spacious for family; sentimental valu"

Cons: "Unreliable; shabby workmanship; yet only 84K miles"

"Bought this vehicle new in 1998, was excited at spaciousness and the engine power; we lived in Europe at the time, and it was great for family ski vacations. I've only put 84,000 miles on it (!!!) - but read on. But here is the HUGE disappointment: terrible quality of Chrysler product and "craftmanship." Examples: - at just 22,000 miles, the head gasket failed; Chrysler Corp's reimbursement under warranty was only half the cost of the actual repair in a European Chrysler-Jeep dealer; - repeated (3x) deterioration/wear-out of brakes requiring replacement, including in the first 18 months (at less than 12K miles); - transmission failure at 50K miles is a regular problem with Chrysler/Dodge fans; mine occurred at 48K miles, when it decided not to shift above second gear. That cost nearly $800 to fix; - the gas filter is awkwardly located UNDER the chassis by the gas tank; when I had it replaced (at around 50K by a mechanic), I had two breakdowns on a major cross-country trip: the gas lines clip onto the filter, on either side, and the clips came loose while driving Route 80; was fortunate it was only a 3 hour mechanic repair job instead of physical harm to my family and me; - repeated exhaust system-related problems that triggered the Check Engine light repeatedly. Had the exhaust sensors replaced a couple of times; ultimately it needed a new catalytic converter; - endemic rust problem around the rear wheel well. Take a look at a Caravan or Voyager from this period, if you can still find one running, and you will notice a cancerous rust pervading the area above the wheel well. In my case, it's the right side, but the fact is, the poor Chrysler design traps water from draining and results in body rust that can't be defeated (I checked with a good body shop, and they just shook their heads). And I garaged this vehicle most of its life. -- Add to that other corrective maintenance problems: the electric cooling fan and thermostat (about $800); failed wheel bearing on another cross country trip (at about the 79K mile mark); and now, the killer that will make me scrap this vehicle: another failed head gasket (coolant was boiling in the reservoir, mechanic just called me with the bad news). All this adds up to miserable, unreliable performance on a vehicle that I maintained meticulously and never mishandled (no red-lining, towing, overloading, etc.) A deep disappointment, and a disgraceful testimony to Chrysler as a manufacturer. Would NEVER buy a Chrysler product again -- and caution everyone against buying one."

it is a good vehicle

By on Tuesday, June 03, 2014

"mycar is realible and in good condition it is one of the best vehicle i have had"

best car ever....

By on Monday, June 02, 2014

"Maybe it's just a fluke.... but this car has 260,000 miles on it, we bought it used with 179,000 for $2000. We have put nothing into it-keep thinking it's going to die one of these days (now has started doing something where it feels like the engine may be "missing" once in a while while driving so we are looking to replace it). But cannot give ONE complaint on how this car has treated us. Only wish I could replace it for one that is as great :) :)"

Proved to be a reliable vehicle with the tow pkg~

By on Saturday, January 04, 2014

Pros: "Good looking for its age...paint, interior! Great!"

Cons: "Burns a litte oil...needs engine seals."

"After Dodge fixed their tranny problems, we bought this vehicle new in 1999 and had very few issues with it...just a few expected things. The tow package made for a very reliable engine and transmission. My wife thought we'd own it for 10 or 12 years, and here we are, 15 years later, selling it. It should be a good find for someone looking for an older, yet still reliable family vehicle."

14 YEARS OF GOOD TIMES

By on Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Pros: "Great utility vehicle ie can load 4 x 8 drywall"

Cons: "Headlights are dull"

"1998 Grand Caravan SE Our kids are now teenagers. They grew up in this car, camping, family trips, built an addition on the house by hauling everything in it. Can load a 10 foot piece of lumber. Time to get a new one, sure will miss the old. The most comfortable traveling car I have ever driven. Still running like a top. Leaking some oil, but thats it. Transmission replaced at 60k."

Love my caravan

By on Sunday, November 24, 2013

Pros: "easy to drive, has built in booster seats,"

Cons: "not as convient as the newer ones"

"being that it is an older caravan this 7 passanger has been the BEST vechicle I have ever had. VERY reliable and never had major problems with it. As long as you keep up with maintenience it will last for a long time!!"

It's been a good one!

By on Tuesday, October 08, 2013

Pros: "great family vehicle"

Cons: "Can't think of any."

"Hope I can drive it another 168k!"

so dependable-awesome to drive

By on Monday, September 09, 2013

Pros: "all"

"bought this used- only let us down once, and we do alot of driving!"

Amazing Longevity!

By on Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Pros: "Great price, great reliability, parts easy to get"

Cons: "boring, some body rust, weak A/C"

"I bought my Grand Caravan while on a trip to southwestern Minnesota. The thing had 220,000 miles on it, but I took a chance anyway for $800. I've now had it more than three years and it's still running. It has not needed any major repairs, maybe just brakes once. I also use it for my painting and outdoor services business, and it often tows a trailer. I really, really did not expect it to last this long."

best van we have owed so far

By on Sunday, August 18, 2013

Pros: "runs and drives great, excellent in snow"

Cons: "no sto and go seating, gas milage"

"love the van looks sporty, handles good, kids love the space"

Versatile hauler with surprisingly good mileage

By on Saturday, August 17, 2013

Pros: "Versatile, great traction, surprisingly good mpg"

Cons: "Terrible headlights, some repairs can be expensive"

"I drove my 1998 Grand Caravan (AWD, 3.8L) until it was destroyed in an accident at 180,000 miles. I love the versatility of this vehicle. It has great traction (with good tires), and enough clearance to handle deep snow and moderately rough gravel roads. The rear seats can be removed to carry cargo. In my case, I removed the middle seat and created a huge dog bed for my golden retriever. I generally got 15 mpg in the winter (10% ethanol gas, lots of idling, city driving), 18 mpg city in the summer, and 22 mpg highway. My biggest gripe is the wimpy headlights which throw more light into the sky than onto the road. Major repairs: transmission rebuild at 120K miles ($2500, most Caravans need this sometime between 90K-40K miles), BOC rebuild at 160K ($3000), 2 alternators replaced. The BOC is a clutch in the AWD system; after my nightmare I'd suggest replacement rather than repair. The gauges stopped working at about 140K miles--it's a very common problem with a cold solder joint where a cable connects to the circuit board; my mechanic re-soldered it for free. My general impression in talking to other owners is that 1998 was a particularly good year reliability-wise, sandwiched between several poor years."

Pros: "reliablity, value"

"The reason I'm on here looking is I was involved in an accendent, it was not my fault, and they will probably total my van. I love this thing. I have owned many cars in my life, and this van has by far been the best most reliable vechile I've ever owned. I hope they fix it, and I don't have to go car shoping, because I don't want to."

Pros: "reliablity, value"

runs well,holds our family of seven,

By on Thursday, May 30, 2013

I own this car

Pros: "price,good for family of 7. easy to drive"

"INterior and exterior are in good shape. Drives well and is very reliable. I would sell it to a friend. It is a 1999 Dodge caravan. What is it worth"

It is my pickup, does anything I need done

By on Wednesday, May 29, 2013

"I have had this van for 7+ years very little problems. Use it almost daily as my pick-up/ trailer. I do yard work it handles what ever I ask it to do. Have had 4 other Chysler vans but, love this one more. Would buy another one any day of the week. Easy to work on as to do oil changes & other little maintance."

Sixteen years old, and going strong!

By on Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable, beautiful, powerful, and long-lasting"

Cons: "Air/heat controls only in front"

"We bought this van when our kids were in Scouts and sports, and used it to haul kids, camping gear, and gardening stuff around for 16 years. The ride is very comfortable, and it is easy to drive. The engine has great pick up. Visibility is excellent. My husband is tall and I am short, but we both were comfortable driving. If I had to do it again, I'd have power windows and air conditioning controls in the back. Otherwise, it's been a great ride. The paint is coming off the roof, but otherwise is in great shape everywhere else."

Excellent vehicle

By on Thursday, April 25, 2013

Pros: "It is SO comfortable and quiet."

Cons: "hmmm.... none."

"I have owned and driven this vehicle for 14 years. Now that it's getting old, it has some irritating failures like window motors, muffler, I replaced water pump and alternator. The transmission has taken a licking and kept ticking. Motor is strong as ever. It has gone up an ice-covered mountain road many times with barely any slip (mine is AWD). It has been a great vehicle overall. Everyone who has ever driven it has loved it."

goog car

By on Thursday, March 21, 2013

Pros: "spacious,carry big items almost like a truck"

Cons: "gas mileage"

"One of the best vehicles I have ever owned"