1997 Dodge Grand Caravan Passenger

7.6

Based on 366 Ratings for the 1996 - 2000 models.

runs well,holds our family of seven,

By on Thursday, May 30, 2013

I own this car

Pros: "price,good for family of 7. easy to drive"

"INterior and exterior are in good shape. Drives well and is very reliable. I would sell it to a friend. It is a 1999 Dodge caravan. What is it worth"

Love this van! Comfort, convenience, best vehicle!

By on Saturday, October 01, 2011

Pros: "typically 20 miles to the gallon, seats 7 comfortably."

Cons: "Can't think of any."

"Bought our 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan in Jan 2003 with 54K miles, it now has 223,000 miles and just keeps going. Granted, we have taken care of it. In the past 10 years we have replaced the serpentine belt 2x (less than $100 each time), the drivers side power window mechanism once and replaced the transmission about 10,000 miles ago. It has plenty of power, love that there are 2 sliding doors on both sides and the dual air is excellent. One of these days the engine may go, but we will replace it and keep the car. Body style has stayed in style, the access is great for us 50 aged folks and our 10 year old Labrador dog. Plenty of space"

GreatVan. Few Stand Out Problems

By on Monday, September 05, 2011

Pros: "Great style, Cool Features. Both side Slide doors. Quiet, Reasonable Gas Mileage."

Cons: "Serpentine Belt Issues. Insane for Home Mechanic to work on."

"Van has been awesome. Live Near Seattle, so plenty of rain and sloshin. . . .Serpentine would come off CONSTANTLY!!! Wife would be Stranded. Found an afterMarket Tensioner kit for $100. No Probs sense(knock on wood, knock on wood) . Water Pump Started Leakin, Kudos to dodge, replacing their water pump was Easy!!! PowerSteering Pump however, NIGHTmare!!!!. . . . . . .Radiator Leaked, Disassemble dam near ENTIRE front end to get it out, no 10 minute in and out with caravan Radiators.Home Mechanics will get use to a "Palm Ratchet UJoints" quick workin on this engine."

Worst quality ever.

By on Thursday, August 25, 2011

Pros: "cruise controll, can tow a good amount of weight, seats 7, seats come out"

Cons: "Terrible gas mileage, bad turning radius, cup holders have broken in front, needs repairs reguarly"

"This car has had so many components break, or just stop working, it should be recalled, and dodge should be avoided if at all possible. We have had both automatic windows break, $400 a piece, we had a gear of some sort almost get a crack all the way through it, about $1000, we have had the hatchback break $150 and now it has started to sound like a timing belt is off, and the a/c just went out with a pop and some smoke. If you buy this car, you will be sorry. Just look at consumer reports, it is a terrible car as far as quality is concerned. This car has not even driven 150k miles."

Great Family Vehicle

By on Tuesday, April 26, 2011

"Bought a new Grand Caravan Sport 3.8 L V6 in 2000 when our third child was born. I liked the look, the interior, and the power... my wife liked the Interior Space, Leather, Functionality, and the ride. 11 Years and 110,000 Miles later, we have replaced the AC, Hubs, Brake Rotors, Driver Side Power Window, and soon to be transmission (hence the 4 rating on reliability and quality)... but... the Van looks great and still rides fantastic... We will be keeping it for the next 50 to 100K. All repairs / replacements I can live with since they all came after 10 years and 100,000 Miles... Keep the oil changes and other basic maintenance on schedule, and this van will last a long time... My other cars have been fords, but for Minivans, Dodge did it right..."

it was the best van we had ever owned

By on Saturday, July 31, 2010

"the van had 53,000 miles, 7/24/2010 a speeding driver totaled our greatest van in the world.the driver seat was so easy to change settings to each driver, the tilt steering great, the controls for radio could be used from back of steering wheel, my husband loved the cruise control, the heating and cooling could be set for each seat by the person in that area, 2nd row bucket and bench could be taken out so when you went to Home Depot or Lowes you didn't have to rent or find a friend with a truck, lucky to have my husband, gonna miss my great van."

Best Car I've Ever Owned

By on Thursday, January 21, 2010

"I'm 61, have owned 7 vehicles, and this is the best. I bought it when Dodge Caravans were the highest rated minivans available. Dodge minivans now are low rated and they no longer even make an all wheel drive model. I'll keep mine forever!"

Most Comfotable Vehicle Ever.

By on Wednesday, August 26, 2009

"My wife purchased her 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan SE in 2005 with 79,000 miles. Very comfortable on long trips. It was a very dependable car until around 93,000 miles. The brakes needed replaced. It was the third time since new. My mechanic had to beat the drum off. Brakes were still serviceable, but wouldn't let go on the right rear. Had to replace the drum. Replaced brakes again at 102,000 miles and the same mechanic had to go through the same process again. My mechanic had 14 years experience and training on Dodge vehicles. At 134,000 miles, the engine developed a miss. He replaced the sparkplugs and wires. The miss was still there. He opened up the front valve cover and found a crack at the base of the rocker arm assembly bracket. He showed me and the only way to fix it was to replace the head. I couldn't afford a new one, so I decided to get another from a salvage parts store. When taking the rocker arm assembly off we found the two center mounts broken on it. I have been told by another Dodge mechanic that the 3.3 engine was well known for the problem after 120,000 miles."

Solid, reliable and economical people mover

By on Thursday, September 04, 2008

"Grand Caravan Sport, bought new in 1999, serviced at regular intervals and it has paid off...180,000 (not a typo) miles and still going strong. Our kids basically grew up with it and only reason to let it go now is too big for just two. This is our third Chrysler minivan and by far the best...still on it's original transmission, body and windows still tight, no rattles. Gas mileage good (average 18 around town with 3.8L engine), comfort and functionality exceptional. Only recurring problem was a power window motor that went bad more than once. Weak point is the brakes - they never inspired a lot of confidence and the fronts wore quickly. Low step-in but high seating, good fuel economy, easy to manuver, room for 7 plus luggage - a great all around value no SUV can beat, "minivan stigma" and all!!"

still love it!

By on Thursday, April 03, 2008

"Bought it new and refuse to give it up. Oil change every 3K-5K miles. Changed timing chain as a precaution. Only repair was A/C work after 6 years for $800. Comfortable ride with captain's seats. Has a safe feel on highway and enough pickup to enter safely. Going strong at 154000 miles."