1997 Dodge Grand Caravan Passenger

7.6

Based on 364 Ratings for the 1996 - 2000 models.

By on Sunday, June 20, 2010

"We bought this car new in 1999. 275,000 miles later we are still driving it. We have had to do few repairs: water pump, alternator and vacuum booster on the power brakes. We will have to fix the air conditioner this summer but that is it. We have used Mobil 1 for motor oil from the begining and changed the transmission fluid as prescribed. Don't know if it helped but it could have. Acquisition costs are down to 7 cents a mile! No complaints."

Good overall value

By on Friday, October 26, 2007

"Second Caravan, had a 91 first with the transmission from hades. The 96 is not quite as comfortable with the sport seating, but runs very well at 160k miles. No major issues with transmission or engine. 3.3ltr engine is a bit under powered for living in the mountains, but mileage is solid 21mpg. My 11 ft rowboat fits in the back with the seats out, plus washers, dryers, refrigerators, plywood, camping. Does it all! Brake jobs and tuneups are expensive, but the van is decent value overall. I would buy another one, but the new styling does not appeal to me at all. The dashboard in the newer models reminds me of a tombstone, and the seats are hard and unforgiving."

An excellent family vehicle

By on Saturday, October 20, 2007

"I bught mine with 100,002 mi. two months ago and I haven't had any problems with it since. I only had to change the brakes; which was really expensive ($749) Its really comfortable and the kids love it, specially after getting them a portable double screen DVD player at Bes Buy. You can't hear the engine running, it does over 30mpg on the highway and over 23mg in the city. Over all, this is AN EXCELLENT FAMILY VEHICLE."

Don't skimp on the options

By on Sunday, July 01, 2007

"I've been driving my Caravan for over a month now, and I am really sorry I settled for the smaller V-6 engine. Driving conservatively, I got 14.5 MPG in city driving in warm weather with the air conditioning on. Performance is somewhere between sluggish and adequate. We have a more basic model with a manual lift gate and sliding doors. I wouldn't do that again. On the plus side, we have been pleasantly surprised by the maneuverability for a large vehicle in a tight spot, and the Stow 'n Go seating is a major plus for versatility. We'd consider buying another one, but only if it's loaded with power accessories, putting it at the higher end of the price range."

My best Vechile Purchase Ever

By on Thursday, July 04, 2013

Pros: "reliablity, value"

"The reason I'm on here looking is I was involved in an accendent, it was not my fault, and they will probably total my van. I love this thing. I have owned many cars in my life, and this van has by far been the best most reliable vechile I've ever owned. I hope they fix it, and I don't have to go car shoping, because I don't want to."

runs well,holds our family of seven,

By on Thursday, May 30, 2013

I own this car

Pros: "price,good for family of 7. easy to drive"

"INterior and exterior are in good shape. Drives well and is very reliable. I would sell it to a friend. It is a 1999 Dodge caravan. What is it worth"

Love this van! Comfort, convenience, best vehicle!

By on Saturday, October 01, 2011

Pros: "typically 20 miles to the gallon, seats 7 comfortably."

Cons: "Can't think of any."

"Bought our 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan in Jan 2003 with 54K miles, it now has 223,000 miles and just keeps going. Granted, we have taken care of it. In the past 10 years we have replaced the serpentine belt 2x (less than $100 each time), the drivers side power window mechanism once and replaced the transmission about 10,000 miles ago. It has plenty of power, love that there are 2 sliding doors on both sides and the dual air is excellent. One of these days the engine may go, but we will replace it and keep the car. Body style has stayed in style, the access is great for us 50 aged folks and our 10 year old Labrador dog. Plenty of space"

GreatVan. Few Stand Out Problems

By on Monday, September 05, 2011

Pros: "Great style, Cool Features. Both side Slide doors. Quiet, Reasonable Gas Mileage."

Cons: "Serpentine Belt Issues. Insane for Home Mechanic to work on."

"Van has been awesome. Live Near Seattle, so plenty of rain and sloshin. . . .Serpentine would come off CONSTANTLY!!! Wife would be Stranded. Found an afterMarket Tensioner kit for $100. No Probs sense(knock on wood, knock on wood) . Water Pump Started Leakin, Kudos to dodge, replacing their water pump was Easy!!! PowerSteering Pump however, NIGHTmare!!!!. . . . . . .Radiator Leaked, Disassemble dam near ENTIRE front end to get it out, no 10 minute in and out with caravan Radiators.Home Mechanics will get use to a "Palm Ratchet UJoints" quick workin on this engine."

Worst quality ever.

By on Thursday, August 25, 2011

Pros: "cruise controll, can tow a good amount of weight, seats 7, seats come out"

Cons: "Terrible gas mileage, bad turning radius, cup holders have broken in front, needs repairs reguarly"

"This car has had so many components break, or just stop working, it should be recalled, and dodge should be avoided if at all possible. We have had both automatic windows break, $400 a piece, we had a gear of some sort almost get a crack all the way through it, about $1000, we have had the hatchback break $150 and now it has started to sound like a timing belt is off, and the a/c just went out with a pop and some smoke. If you buy this car, you will be sorry. Just look at consumer reports, it is a terrible car as far as quality is concerned. This car has not even driven 150k miles."

Great Family Vehicle

By on Tuesday, April 26, 2011

"Bought a new Grand Caravan Sport 3.8 L V6 in 2000 when our third child was born. I liked the look, the interior, and the power... my wife liked the Interior Space, Leather, Functionality, and the ride. 11 Years and 110,000 Miles later, we have replaced the AC, Hubs, Brake Rotors, Driver Side Power Window, and soon to be transmission (hence the 4 rating on reliability and quality)... but... the Van looks great and still rides fantastic... We will be keeping it for the next 50 to 100K. All repairs / replacements I can live with since they all came after 10 years and 100,000 Miles... Keep the oil changes and other basic maintenance on schedule, and this van will last a long time... My other cars have been fords, but for Minivans, Dodge did it right..."