1997 Dodge Grand Caravan Passenger

7.6

Based on 350 Ratings for the 1996 - 2000 models.

Worst van ive ever owned

By on Saturday, December 15, 2012

Pros: "Roomy,comfortable,nice for big family"

Cons: "inferior qauility parts used.repairs nonstop"

"I bought this van 2 years ago for $2900 with a little over 143000 Engine was very strong no complaints there..its everything else that is poorly built.Air conditioner quit within a month of purchase along with electric rear windows,rear heat went out as Dodge uses a steel line from the front to rear heater core and it had rusted through so left us stranded.For first inspection I ended up replacing Exhaust system,rear shocks rear wheel cylinders,numerous front end suspension parts,both front Axels,Oxygen sensor,for a grand total of close to $2000..Ok figured was all done with problems..next the transmission went leaving family stranded again..another $1200 for a used tranny.Next inspection needed new tires all new brakes..tune up,Egr valve new igniction switch as it went out as we were getting ready to leave for inspection station lucky we got it started.rotors brake parts for rear brakes,horn switch .Also Cd player spits out cds never worked.Cruise control quit working shortly after purchase as well.I will never buy anything american made again.Last inspection $1750..now it runs excellent engine is wonderful.Do I keep or get out now after the $$ put into it."

Great Vehicle, very spacious, terrible CD player

By on Wednesday, November 07, 2012

Pros: "family friendly, travel friendly"

Cons: "temperamental CD PLAYER, poor battery life"

"My van has great gas mileage for its time. It is comfortable and spacious. It works for my lifestyle. It holds up to seven people. It even has a little extra storage box under the passenger seat. My main complaints deal with the CD player. It never works correctly. It consumes CDs for months at a time, then spits them back out on random. It also has manual windows. (e.g You have to roll them up and down yourself.) I find this okay, but it is a pain sometimes. Also, the door locks are manual, and they get stuck sometimes in their sockets.Heat and air works great. If you don't turn it to the lowest light settings available, then it will drain you battery life dramatically."

I like my caravan, it's a very comfortable car

By on Thursday, September 20, 2012

Pros: "It is very comfortable"

Cons: "The cup holders could be a little deeper."

"There is enough room when I need to drive my grandchildren somewhere, and they like it , because it's just like mommy's car, only a different color.(And mommy's is newer)"

1998 SE with 159,000 miles

By on Sunday, July 01, 2012

"My Dad and I bought this van while I was living with, and caring for him. He needed something to put his electric scooter in. He had a power lift put in the back which drew power from the car's battery. We got it used in 2004 for about $8000. He has passed away and now the vehicle is mine. I have used it to transport youth groups, the disabled women I work with and my adult children and their babies. The only problem I ever had with this car was the radiator and that cost me all of $300 to repair. Never had a problem at all with the transmission or engine. I was surprised as I was not very excited about American made vehicles. I am now passing the car on to one of my daughters and her husband so they can save money until they can another one. I, myself will be getting another used one as well. It has given me good service for many years and I am very pleased with it."

Loved this vehicle!

By on Tuesday, April 03, 2012

I own this car

"Loved this vehicle! I hated to give it up. I was afraid of it's age. Good ride, nice to drive and everyone was comfortable in it. I guess we were lucky because I read bad things in Consumer Reports but ours was a jewel!"

Love it. Getting a 2009 next week.

By on Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Pros: "inherited it from my father in law. and love it."

"Got a '99. Inherited it from father in law when he passed away. Our first minivan and we just can't live without one. So handy and convenient. A young driver turned in front of me and totaled it. So we are now we are getting a 2009 Town and Country loaded. Basically same as GG but with a few more bells and whistles. They cost, but boy are they worth it. Love everything about them. And I was one of those guys that said "I'll never have a minivan. We also have a Ford explorer. Like it but it can't compare to a Caravan or T"

Love this car!

By on Thursday, March 22, 2012

"Best vehicle I've owned, rides smooth and still averages 16 mpg in city driving, 23 hwy(after 12 years!) Versatile, hauls 6 passengers or easily remove both rear seats in seconds and load with cargo! Moved a 1 bedroom apartment in two loads. Great comfort plus easy and fun to drive in all conditions. Dual/rear air allows for pleasant ride for everyone. Dual sliding doors are extremely handy. Power outlets great for electronic devices. Great family car and it loves to roll down the highway on those cross country trips."

hate dodge and chrysler vans

By on Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Pros: "have plenty of storage and compartments"

Cons: "tires,brakes,electical,AC,tranny rebuilt 3 times"

"I've owned 2 mopar products,my mom has had 3.HATE THEM ALL!!They've all had the same problems: they eat up tires and brakes about every 20,000 mls., the AC's always need servicing every summer then finally die,they have electical problems and you are guaranteed to have the tranny rebuilt or replaced."

Vehicle has only needed routine maintenance.

By on Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Pros: "Paid off and no extra unusual cost for maintence"

"Just recently needed to replace the body control module and tranmission computer. $1300.00 for a 13 year old car."

Excellent Vehicle: but I've replaced imp. elements

By on Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Pros: "great $, great low mileage, no rust"

Cons: "more cup holders, no back A/C,"

"Really has been a great vehicle. Storage space is plentiful. This van also has excellent height and provides a full view of the road. I did have to put in a new transmission and the A/C is not currently working. I am told that there are wiring issues underneath, but it can be repaired. However everything else has been general maintenance which I provide like clockwork. I use this vehicle for work and normal side trips. This accounts for the low mileage. There is a full mat covering (matching the carpet,from the factory) to protect the original floor of the van,therefore it is almost pristene. This van is in excellent condition, I am simply ready for something new and different. I do not neccessarily need a van anymore."

Great Van, great strong running engine, no visible

By on Monday, February 20, 2012

Pros: "Very Strong engine"

Cons: "Power steering issue"

"Great Van, great strong running engine, no visible rust, everything works, heat a/c power windows and locks,"

Most reliable vehicle I ever owned!

By on Saturday, February 04, 2012

Reason: Got a Lincoln Town Car

Pros: "Unparalleled reliability"

Cons: "AC went out and too exp. to fix"

"Bought this one new in 97 for the wife to drive. My car was totaled in 2001, so I got the van and she got the new Intrepid. I drove this van everyday, everywhere and it NEVER LET ME DOWN! It went to Florida twice, Montana three times, and everywhere in between. It never quit on me, it did have items wear out, but it was always relatively inexpensive to fix, and I was able to do most every repair at home in the garage. I'm sure gonna miss it, I hope the folks that I sold it to treat it well, Dodge built a good one the day it was made. Farewell trusted van, I won't forget you."

Great Family Vehicle

By on Saturday, February 04, 2012

Pros: "Price, dual climate control, 4 captains chairs-AWD"

Cons: "Should be undercoated if you live in Northeast"

Can you say - ROAD TRIP!!!

"We have owned this car for the past 3.5 years. It has been a good vehcile for our family. It is very roomy. The dual climate control has saved my marriage on more than one occasion :) All Wheel Drive is amazing in winter. Currently for sale for $1950..we paid $3,500 3.5 years ago. If you live in the northeast or anywhere they are putting salt or calcium chloride down on the roads, I would recommend getting the car undercoated for $100 or so. This will save you countless greenbacks in rocker panel rotting/rusting and body work. Really we've had no significant issues with this car outside of that. It has 215K and is going strong. I thought only German cars were supposed to approach 1/4 million miles...look out Mercedes! If you can keep up with normal maintenance, I would recommend it. Great car to travel with also. :)"

Can you say - ROAD TRIP!!!

very reliable vehicle

By on Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Pros: "everything"

Cons: "momy van..lol"

"this is a real good mini van. No major work needed, just the minor things like oil changes, etc."

Nobody builds a mini-van like Chrysler

By on Friday, January 27, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, great family vehicle."

Cons: "Not going to get you noticed, purely utilitarian."

"We needed cheap, dependable transportation when we bought our '99 Grand Caravan three and a half years ago. It already had been well-used with 160,000 miles on it. We have put another 82,000 miles on it with very few repairs, mostly maintenance items. We have taken family trips all over the midwest, and two trips to the deep south in that time... all in reasonable comfort with 21-25 mpg fuel economy. I would drive this old van anywhere with complete confidence. In my opinion, few other vehicles deliver such value. Thanks to our rough winters, rust is now beginning to take its toll but, we will miss her when its time to sell it off."

What a piece of Garbage !!!!

By on Thursday, January 26, 2012

Pros: "Plenty of Room"

Cons: "Poorly made...as in It Is A Piece Of Garbage"

"This van was VERY POORLY BUILT. Brakes are WAY UNDERSIZED for the Van !!! I will NEVER by a car from Dodge."

Great minivan!

By on Wednesday, January 25, 2012

"We have owned our 1998 Dodge Caravan since it was new and it has never let us down. We use it for everything from taking the kids to sports events or as a work van (with seats removed). If you are looking for a quality used vehicle I would greatly recommend this model year."

Has been a VERY dependable vehicle

By on Friday, January 20, 2012

Pros: "Was a great vehicle in its day"

Cons: "Lacks the features found on current vehicles"

"Very dependable; serviced regularly; comfortable seats; comfortable and smooth ride, especially on the highway."

Still love my carvan

By on Sunday, January 15, 2012

Pros: "Good ride great gas milige lots of room"

"Found a used one 72000 good price clean 1997 se. 3.3 God motor.I will keep tell rust eat hear up.Had 96 voyger plymouth good to 189896 miles just time to go. LOVE MY DODGE!"

I NEED HELP WITH MY DIGITATL CONVERTER!!!!!!

By on Saturday, January 14, 2012

"fair quality"

rides rough

By on Saturday, January 14, 2012

"needs more leg room"

Nice ride, great utility vehicle

By on Friday, January 13, 2012

Pros: "Nice color, style, and ride."

Cons: "Seems to have more(minor) mechanical issues."

"We bought this van used, with 100,000 miles on it. It was in very good condition for the mileage. The ride is very comfortible and we've enjoyed many miles of travel, some over night with up to six people. The problem is that it seems to ruin tie-rods and other mechanical components more fequently than my other vehicles. We have also been chasing rust around the wheel wells, and leaks in the A/C system."

One word....... Impressed

By on Saturday, December 24, 2011

Pros: "Extremely fun to drive period."

Cons: "two more things to fix n shes golden"

"I've driven mostly coupes my entire life, when the economy went under, I was without a vehicle and was given this vehicle as a gift. Needed minor repairs, but my Pop kept it in impeccable shape. Its the 1999 grand caravan sport edition,3.3l, and I flat out love it."

this has been a great family vehicle for 10 yrs!

By on Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Pros: "comfortable, roomy, lots of power"

Cons: "tends to go through brakes, otherwise reliable"

"This van has moved our family of 6 around for the past 10 years. Lots of room, seats are removeable if more cargo space needed. Comfortable, lots of power, have towed tenttrailers, horse trailers etc with no problem! Quad seats and dual doors make it very easy to get in"

Overall a good vehicle but very underpowered

By on Thursday, December 08, 2011

"Comfortable, economical, dependable---needs more power. If they built a vehicle like this today I would buy it. Just way too much junk and governmental interference on the models that replaced it."

See if you qualify for