1997 Dodge Grand Caravan Passenger

7.6

Based on 363 Ratings for the 1996 - 2000 models.

My best Vechile Purchase Ever

By on Thursday, July 04, 2013

Pros: "reliablity, value"

"The reason I'm on here looking is I was involved in an accendent, it was not my fault, and they will probably total my van. I love this thing. I have owned many cars in my life, and this van has by far been the best most reliable vechile I've ever owned. I hope they fix it, and I don't have to go car shoping, because I don't want to."

runs well,holds our family of seven,

By on Thursday, May 30, 2013

I own this car

Pros: "price,good for family of 7. easy to drive"

"INterior and exterior are in good shape. Drives well and is very reliable. I would sell it to a friend. It is a 1999 Dodge caravan. What is it worth"

Love this van! Comfort, convenience, best vehicle!

By on Saturday, October 01, 2011

Pros: "typically 20 miles to the gallon, seats 7 comfortably."

Cons: "Can't think of any."

"Bought our 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan in Jan 2003 with 54K miles, it now has 223,000 miles and just keeps going. Granted, we have taken care of it. In the past 10 years we have replaced the serpentine belt 2x (less than $100 each time), the drivers side power window mechanism once and replaced the transmission about 10,000 miles ago. It has plenty of power, love that there are 2 sliding doors on both sides and the dual air is excellent. One of these days the engine may go, but we will replace it and keep the car. Body style has stayed in style, the access is great for us 50 aged folks and our 10 year old Labrador dog. Plenty of space"

GreatVan. Few Stand Out Problems

By on Monday, September 05, 2011

Pros: "Great style, Cool Features. Both side Slide doors. Quiet, Reasonable Gas Mileage."

Cons: "Serpentine Belt Issues. Insane for Home Mechanic to work on."

"Van has been awesome. Live Near Seattle, so plenty of rain and sloshin. . . .Serpentine would come off CONSTANTLY!!! Wife would be Stranded. Found an afterMarket Tensioner kit for $100. No Probs sense(knock on wood, knock on wood) . Water Pump Started Leakin, Kudos to dodge, replacing their water pump was Easy!!! PowerSteering Pump however, NIGHTmare!!!!. . . . . . .Radiator Leaked, Disassemble dam near ENTIRE front end to get it out, no 10 minute in and out with caravan Radiators.Home Mechanics will get use to a "Palm Ratchet UJoints" quick workin on this engine."

Worst quality ever.

By on Thursday, August 25, 2011

Pros: "cruise controll, can tow a good amount of weight, seats 7, seats come out"

Cons: "Terrible gas mileage, bad turning radius, cup holders have broken in front, needs repairs reguarly"

"This car has had so many components break, or just stop working, it should be recalled, and dodge should be avoided if at all possible. We have had both automatic windows break, $400 a piece, we had a gear of some sort almost get a crack all the way through it, about $1000, we have had the hatchback break $150 and now it has started to sound like a timing belt is off, and the a/c just went out with a pop and some smoke. If you buy this car, you will be sorry. Just look at consumer reports, it is a terrible car as far as quality is concerned. This car has not even driven 150k miles."

Great Family Vehicle

By on Tuesday, April 26, 2011

"Bought a new Grand Caravan Sport 3.8 L V6 in 2000 when our third child was born. I liked the look, the interior, and the power... my wife liked the Interior Space, Leather, Functionality, and the ride. 11 Years and 110,000 Miles later, we have replaced the AC, Hubs, Brake Rotors, Driver Side Power Window, and soon to be transmission (hence the 4 rating on reliability and quality)... but... the Van looks great and still rides fantastic... We will be keeping it for the next 50 to 100K. All repairs / replacements I can live with since they all came after 10 years and 100,000 Miles... Keep the oil changes and other basic maintenance on schedule, and this van will last a long time... My other cars have been fords, but for Minivans, Dodge did it right..."

it was the best van we had ever owned

By on Saturday, July 31, 2010

"the van had 53,000 miles, 7/24/2010 a speeding driver totaled our greatest van in the world.the driver seat was so easy to change settings to each driver, the tilt steering great, the controls for radio could be used from back of steering wheel, my husband loved the cruise control, the heating and cooling could be set for each seat by the person in that area, 2nd row bucket and bench could be taken out so when you went to Home Depot or Lowes you didn't have to rent or find a friend with a truck, lucky to have my husband, gonna miss my great van."

Best Car I've Ever Owned

By on Thursday, January 21, 2010

"I'm 61, have owned 7 vehicles, and this is the best. I bought it when Dodge Caravans were the highest rated minivans available. Dodge minivans now are low rated and they no longer even make an all wheel drive model. I'll keep mine forever!"

Most Comfotable Vehicle Ever.

By on Wednesday, August 26, 2009

"My wife purchased her 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan SE in 2005 with 79,000 miles. Very comfortable on long trips. It was a very dependable car until around 93,000 miles. The brakes needed replaced. It was the third time since new. My mechanic had to beat the drum off. Brakes were still serviceable, but wouldn't let go on the right rear. Had to replace the drum. Replaced brakes again at 102,000 miles and the same mechanic had to go through the same process again. My mechanic had 14 years experience and training on Dodge vehicles. At 134,000 miles, the engine developed a miss. He replaced the sparkplugs and wires. The miss was still there. He opened up the front valve cover and found a crack at the base of the rocker arm assembly bracket. He showed me and the only way to fix it was to replace the head. I couldn't afford a new one, so I decided to get another from a salvage parts store. When taking the rocker arm assembly off we found the two center mounts broken on it. I have been told by another Dodge mechanic that the 3.3 engine was well known for the problem after 120,000 miles."

Solid, reliable and economical people mover

By on Thursday, September 04, 2008

"Grand Caravan Sport, bought new in 1999, serviced at regular intervals and it has paid off...180,000 (not a typo) miles and still going strong. Our kids basically grew up with it and only reason to let it go now is too big for just two. This is our third Chrysler minivan and by far the best...still on it's original transmission, body and windows still tight, no rattles. Gas mileage good (average 18 around town with 3.8L engine), comfort and functionality exceptional. Only recurring problem was a power window motor that went bad more than once. Weak point is the brakes - they never inspired a lot of confidence and the fronts wore quickly. Low step-in but high seating, good fuel economy, easy to manuver, room for 7 plus luggage - a great all around value no SUV can beat, "minivan stigma" and all!!"

still love it!

By on Thursday, April 03, 2008

"Bought it new and refuse to give it up. Oil change every 3K-5K miles. Changed timing chain as a precaution. Only repair was A/C work after 6 years for $800. Comfortable ride with captain's seats. Has a safe feel on highway and enough pickup to enter safely. Going strong at 154000 miles."

Great van! Will do it again!

By on Monday, March 10, 2008

"This vehicle has been a great family car. We bought it new, and have had no problems with it. I have it serviced regularly, replacing tires and brakes, etc. as needed, and it still runs great at 179,000 miles! We travel between states regularly and it has been 100% dependable!"

Money Pit on Wheels

By on Monday, September 03, 2007

"Worst vehicle I have ever owned. Repairs include: Transmission, wheel bearings, alternator, water pump, fuel pump, plug wires, airbag sensor (under warranty), brakes (on 3rd set) air-conditioner (3 times). I will likely not purchase another Dodge product due to numerous problems with this one."

functional

By on Tuesday, August 21, 2007

"Great family-snow car. Good mileage. Comfortable. Very good dual HVAC. Mitsubishi designded 3.8L V6 a real gem. AWD system also a Mitsubishi design, I have been informed. Great cargo capacity."

Great satisfaction

By on Friday, August 03, 2007

"Great van to own. Problems wuth belt tensioner and water pump. Radiator failed. The later were at about 90,ooo miles, The belt tensoiner at 32,000, 64.000 miles and at about 100, 000 miles, one would expect a modification, as chats with otherowners at filling stations report similar hassles. Dealer fairly good, but changed hands three times."

GREAT FOR TRAVEL

By on Tuesday, July 24, 2007

"THIS VAN HOLDS ALOT OF STUFF. GREAT FOR ALONG TRIP. I BOUGHT MINE FROM THE ORIGINAL OWNER. THE TRANSMISSION HAD SOME PROBLEMS(expensive to fix) Drove it to Florida. Only got about 18 mpg. but I was driving 80+mph alot of the time. A/C works great and it handles wonderfully. It isn't the sportiest vehicle in the world, but it is VERY versatile. Holds alot of people and alot of cargo. Love how it is well lit inside. Can't beat it for a family vehicle or for traveling in comfort."

gas mileage

By on Tuesday, July 24, 2007

"i drove 450 miles to a tank and it only cost me $250 to drive1600 miles at $3.00 a gallon thats awesome for a van"

Bad Engine

By on Monday, July 23, 2007

"I really thought I had a good car till the engine blew at 132000. Not alot of miles considering some other brands warranty till 100K. No warning signs, nothing...... then one day the engine just blows??? makes me really think hard about buying another ... at least not another 3.8L engine."

A van you'll fall in like with.

By on Monday, July 23, 2007

"Nothing to love but not much to hate. It holds a ton, 3rd row seat weighs a ton, plactics are durable and the car is relatively rattle-free. Goes, turns and stops OK - its a van. Gets 22 MPG. Transmissions are suspect but mine seems fine, brakes and parts are cheap, but it is starting to rust which suprises me since cars don't do that like the used to."

Great Van

By on Thursday, July 19, 2007

"options package is nice , the extras are great addition ,rides smooth no problems"

Best purchase I ever made!

By on Thursday, April 09, 2015

"After 15 years now, if I could purchase this '99 Grand Caravan Sport again, I would do so in a heartbeat. It has quad seats, rear air, 3.3L, and dark glass. It is cavernous. The perfect vehicle to go on vacations with our two grade school children (when new). The only thing that I think that would be nice are the Stow N Go seats which were available on the next model. The seats about throw your back out to remove them. The only problem I have had is the air doesn't get us very cool over about 80 degrees and I have had to replace two power door locks and the radio. The clear coat is now peeling on the roof. It has 128,000 miles on it now. I still love this van."

best car ever....

By on Monday, June 02, 2014

"Maybe it's just a fluke.... but this car has 260,000 miles on it, we bought it used with 179,000 for $2000. We have put nothing into it-keep thinking it's going to die one of these days (now has started doing something where it feels like the engine may be "missing" once in a while while driving so we are looking to replace it). But cannot give ONE complaint on how this car has treated us. Only wish I could replace it for one that is as great :) :)"

Love my caravan

By on Sunday, November 24, 2013

Pros: "easy to drive, has built in booster seats,"

Cons: "not as convient as the newer ones"

"being that it is an older caravan this 7 passanger has been the BEST vechicle I have ever had. VERY reliable and never had major problems with it. As long as you keep up with maintenience it will last for a long time!!"

so dependable-awesome to drive

By on Monday, September 09, 2013

Pros: "all"

"bought this used- only let us down once, and we do alot of driving!"

10 years and still going strong!

By on Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Pros: "reliable, comfortable, affordable"

Cons: "american-made car stigma, doesn't apply here"

"Great full-featured family car with almost no maintenance issues in the 10 years (and counting) that we've owned this vehicle. I've read horror stories about American made mini vans and this one clearly isn't the norm. In addition to its reliability, our grand caravan is beyond comfortable and roomy. Even though it has significantly lower fuel economy than our four-door sedan, we almost exclusively take it on long road trips in lieu of the sedan because it is so much more comfortable. When we sell it in a few years, we will most likely buy another Dodge mini van. Great car!"