1997 Dodge Grand Caravan Passenger

7.6

Based on 350 Ratings for the 1996 - 2000 models.

great reliable family car

By on Sunday, July 06, 2014

Pros: "great family car"

Cons: "front breaks wear out every 60K"

"I have 230,000 on this car with really no major problems. The only weak point is the font brakes that have to be changed every 60,000 miles. Original engine and transmission. I average 22 mpg consistently. Great family car. Never rodded the radiator and now runs a bit hot with AC on and temps over 93F. AC still works like new after 14 years and has never needed charging. Alternator had to be replaced at 200K. Water pump replaced at 150K."

Best Value in its class

By on Friday, July 04, 2014

Pros: "Lots of Room, Runs & Looks great, Relaible,"

Cons: "None."

"Great car.Even after 17 years and 165,000 mile, it still runs and looks great> It is still serving us so well and engine is so quiet. we like Grand Caravan so much that we bought 2014 Grand Caravan as well. It is best value for the money in its class."

Dependable; served my needs to haul animals, etc

By on Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Cons: "Being an elderly lady, seats very hard to install."

"For my convenience related to our animal rescue, I removed the 2nd and 3rd seats and mostly used van for a cargo type vehicle, hauling animals, feed, building materials for animal shelters, etc. One problem was a/c quit(in August!)at approximately 190,000 miles. Bought it used so not sure of previous maintenance history. May have come from up north as body had a little of what appeared to be damage from road salt. Used mainly on unpaved roads resulting in considerable dust inside. Did not seem to be very "air-tight", interior, doors and rear lift hatch. A shiny new vehicle would not last long down here being used as this vehicle was used. A farm truck would probably best serve our needs. Still, I will really miss my van, but I now need a more reliable vehicle as it is beginning to nickel and dime me and will probably cost more to keep after 200,000 miles."

Worst vehicle I owned - and I bought it new

By on Tuesday, June 03, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable, spacious for family; sentimental valu"

Cons: "Unreliable; shabby workmanship; yet only 84K miles"

"Bought this vehicle new in 1998, was excited at spaciousness and the engine power; we lived in Europe at the time, and it was great for family ski vacations. I've only put 84,000 miles on it (!!!) - but read on. But here is the HUGE disappointment: terrible quality of Chrysler product and "craftmanship." Examples: - at just 22,000 miles, the head gasket failed; Chrysler Corp's reimbursement under warranty was only half the cost of the actual repair in a European Chrysler-Jeep dealer; - repeated (3x) deterioration/wear-out of brakes requiring replacement, including in the first 18 months (at less than 12K miles); - transmission failure at 50K miles is a regular problem with Chrysler/Dodge fans; mine occurred at 48K miles, when it decided not to shift above second gear. That cost nearly $800 to fix; - the gas filter is awkwardly located UNDER the chassis by the gas tank; when I had it replaced (at around 50K by a mechanic), I had two breakdowns on a major cross-country trip: the gas lines clip onto the filter, on either side, and the clips came loose while driving Route 80; was fortunate it was only a 3 hour mechanic repair job instead of physical harm to my family and me; - repeated exhaust system-related problems that triggered the Check Engine light repeatedly. Had the exhaust sensors replaced a couple of times; ultimately it needed a new catalytic converter; - endemic rust problem around the rear wheel well. Take a look at a Caravan or Voyager from this period, if you can still find one running, and you will notice a cancerous rust pervading the area above the wheel well. In my case, it's the right side, but the fact is, the poor Chrysler design traps water from draining and results in body rust that can't be defeated (I checked with a good body shop, and they just shook their heads). And I garaged this vehicle most of its life. -- Add to that other corrective maintenance problems: the electric cooling fan and thermostat (about $800); failed wheel bearing on another cross country trip (at about the 79K mile mark); and now, the killer that will make me scrap this vehicle: another failed head gasket (coolant was boiling in the reservoir, mechanic just called me with the bad news). All this adds up to miserable, unreliable performance on a vehicle that I maintained meticulously and never mishandled (no red-lining, towing, overloading, etc.) A deep disappointment, and a disgraceful testimony to Chrysler as a manufacturer. Would NEVER buy a Chrysler product again -- and caution everyone against buying one."

it is a good vehicle

By on Tuesday, June 03, 2014

"mycar is realible and in good condition it is one of the best vehicle i have had"