1996 Dodge Grand Caravan Passenger

7.6

Based on 366 Ratings for the 1996 - 2000 models.

it was the best van we had ever owned

By on Saturday, July 31, 2010

"the van had 53,000 miles, 7/24/2010 a speeding driver totaled our greatest van in the world.the driver seat was so easy to change settings to each driver, the tilt steering great, the controls for radio could be used from back of steering wheel, my husband loved the cruise control, the heating and cooling could be set for each seat by the person in that area, 2nd row bucket and bench could be taken out so when you went to Home Depot or Lowes you didn't have to rent or find a friend with a truck, lucky to have my husband, gonna miss my great van."

Best Car I've Ever Owned

By on Thursday, January 21, 2010

"I'm 61, have owned 7 vehicles, and this is the best. I bought it when Dodge Caravans were the highest rated minivans available. Dodge minivans now are low rated and they no longer even make an all wheel drive model. I'll keep mine forever!"

Most Comfotable Vehicle Ever.

By on Wednesday, August 26, 2009

"My wife purchased her 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan SE in 2005 with 79,000 miles. Very comfortable on long trips. It was a very dependable car until around 93,000 miles. The brakes needed replaced. It was the third time since new. My mechanic had to beat the drum off. Brakes were still serviceable, but wouldn't let go on the right rear. Had to replace the drum. Replaced brakes again at 102,000 miles and the same mechanic had to go through the same process again. My mechanic had 14 years experience and training on Dodge vehicles. At 134,000 miles, the engine developed a miss. He replaced the sparkplugs and wires. The miss was still there. He opened up the front valve cover and found a crack at the base of the rocker arm assembly bracket. He showed me and the only way to fix it was to replace the head. I couldn't afford a new one, so I decided to get another from a salvage parts store. When taking the rocker arm assembly off we found the two center mounts broken on it. I have been told by another Dodge mechanic that the 3.3 engine was well known for the problem after 120,000 miles."

Solid, reliable and economical people mover

By on Thursday, September 04, 2008

"Grand Caravan Sport, bought new in 1999, serviced at regular intervals and it has paid off...180,000 (not a typo) miles and still going strong. Our kids basically grew up with it and only reason to let it go now is too big for just two. This is our third Chrysler minivan and by far the best...still on it's original transmission, body and windows still tight, no rattles. Gas mileage good (average 18 around town with 3.8L engine), comfort and functionality exceptional. Only recurring problem was a power window motor that went bad more than once. Weak point is the brakes - they never inspired a lot of confidence and the fronts wore quickly. Low step-in but high seating, good fuel economy, easy to manuver, room for 7 plus luggage - a great all around value no SUV can beat, "minivan stigma" and all!!"

still love it!

By on Thursday, April 03, 2008

"Bought it new and refuse to give it up. Oil change every 3K-5K miles. Changed timing chain as a precaution. Only repair was A/C work after 6 years for $800. Comfortable ride with captain's seats. Has a safe feel on highway and enough pickup to enter safely. Going strong at 154000 miles."

Great van! Will do it again!

By on Monday, March 10, 2008

"This vehicle has been a great family car. We bought it new, and have had no problems with it. I have it serviced regularly, replacing tires and brakes, etc. as needed, and it still runs great at 179,000 miles! We travel between states regularly and it has been 100% dependable!"

Money Pit on Wheels

By on Monday, September 03, 2007

"Worst vehicle I have ever owned. Repairs include: Transmission, wheel bearings, alternator, water pump, fuel pump, plug wires, airbag sensor (under warranty), brakes (on 3rd set) air-conditioner (3 times). I will likely not purchase another Dodge product due to numerous problems with this one."

functional

By on Tuesday, August 21, 2007

"Great family-snow car. Good mileage. Comfortable. Very good dual HVAC. Mitsubishi designded 3.8L V6 a real gem. AWD system also a Mitsubishi design, I have been informed. Great cargo capacity."

Great satisfaction

By on Friday, August 03, 2007

"Great van to own. Problems wuth belt tensioner and water pump. Radiator failed. The later were at about 90,ooo miles, The belt tensoiner at 32,000, 64.000 miles and at about 100, 000 miles, one would expect a modification, as chats with otherowners at filling stations report similar hassles. Dealer fairly good, but changed hands three times."

GREAT FOR TRAVEL

By on Tuesday, July 24, 2007

"THIS VAN HOLDS ALOT OF STUFF. GREAT FOR ALONG TRIP. I BOUGHT MINE FROM THE ORIGINAL OWNER. THE TRANSMISSION HAD SOME PROBLEMS(expensive to fix) Drove it to Florida. Only got about 18 mpg. but I was driving 80+mph alot of the time. A/C works great and it handles wonderfully. It isn't the sportiest vehicle in the world, but it is VERY versatile. Holds alot of people and alot of cargo. Love how it is well lit inside. Can't beat it for a family vehicle or for traveling in comfort."

gas mileage

By on Tuesday, July 24, 2007

"i drove 450 miles to a tank and it only cost me $250 to drive1600 miles at $3.00 a gallon thats awesome for a van"

Bad Engine

By on Monday, July 23, 2007

"I really thought I had a good car till the engine blew at 132000. Not alot of miles considering some other brands warranty till 100K. No warning signs, nothing...... then one day the engine just blows??? makes me really think hard about buying another ... at least not another 3.8L engine."

A van you'll fall in like with.

By on Monday, July 23, 2007

"Nothing to love but not much to hate. It holds a ton, 3rd row seat weighs a ton, plactics are durable and the car is relatively rattle-free. Goes, turns and stops OK - its a van. Gets 22 MPG. Transmissions are suspect but mine seems fine, brakes and parts are cheap, but it is starting to rust which suprises me since cars don't do that like the used to."

Great Van

By on Thursday, July 19, 2007

"options package is nice , the extras are great addition ,rides smooth no problems"

best car ever....

By on Monday, June 02, 2014

"Maybe it's just a fluke.... but this car has 260,000 miles on it, we bought it used with 179,000 for $2000. We have put nothing into it-keep thinking it's going to die one of these days (now has started doing something where it feels like the engine may be "missing" once in a while while driving so we are looking to replace it). But cannot give ONE complaint on how this car has treated us. Only wish I could replace it for one that is as great :) :)"

Love my caravan

By on Sunday, November 24, 2013

Pros: "easy to drive, has built in booster seats,"

Cons: "not as convient as the newer ones"

"being that it is an older caravan this 7 passanger has been the BEST vechicle I have ever had. VERY reliable and never had major problems with it. As long as you keep up with maintenience it will last for a long time!!"

so dependable-awesome to drive

By on Monday, September 09, 2013

Pros: "all"

"bought this used- only let us down once, and we do alot of driving!"

10 years and still going strong!

By on Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Pros: "reliable, comfortable, affordable"

Cons: "american-made car stigma, doesn't apply here"

"Great full-featured family car with almost no maintenance issues in the 10 years (and counting) that we've owned this vehicle. I've read horror stories about American made mini vans and this one clearly isn't the norm. In addition to its reliability, our grand caravan is beyond comfortable and roomy. Even though it has significantly lower fuel economy than our four-door sedan, we almost exclusively take it on long road trips in lieu of the sedan because it is so much more comfortable. When we sell it in a few years, we will most likely buy another Dodge mini van. Great car!"

I like my caravan, it's a very comfortable car

By on Thursday, September 20, 2012

Pros: "It is very comfortable"

Cons: "The cup holders could be a little deeper."

"There is enough room when I need to drive my grandchildren somewhere, and they like it , because it's just like mommy's car, only a different color.(And mommy's is newer)"

Love it. Getting a 2009 next week.

By on Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Pros: "inherited it from my father in law. and love it."

"Got a '99. Inherited it from father in law when he passed away. Our first minivan and we just can't live without one. So handy and convenient. A young driver turned in front of me and totaled it. So we are now we are getting a 2009 Town and Country loaded. Basically same as GG but with a few more bells and whistles. They cost, but boy are they worth it. Love everything about them. And I was one of those guys that said "I'll never have a minivan. We also have a Ford explorer. Like it but it can't compare to a Caravan or T"

Vehicle has only needed routine maintenance.

By on Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Pros: "Paid off and no extra unusual cost for maintence"

"Just recently needed to replace the body control module and tranmission computer. $1300.00 for a 13 year old car."

Nobody builds a mini-van like Chrysler

By on Friday, January 27, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, great family vehicle."

Cons: "Not going to get you noticed, purely utilitarian."

"We needed cheap, dependable transportation when we bought our '99 Grand Caravan three and a half years ago. It already had been well-used with 160,000 miles on it. We have put another 82,000 miles on it with very few repairs, mostly maintenance items. We have taken family trips all over the midwest, and two trips to the deep south in that time... all in reasonable comfort with 21-25 mpg fuel economy. I would drive this old van anywhere with complete confidence. In my opinion, few other vehicles deliver such value. Thanks to our rough winters, rust is now beginning to take its toll but, we will miss her when its time to sell it off."

Great minivan!

By on Wednesday, January 25, 2012

"We have owned our 1998 Dodge Caravan since it was new and it has never let us down. We use it for everything from taking the kids to sports events or as a work van (with seats removed). If you are looking for a quality used vehicle I would greatly recommend this model year."

Best car ever!!

By on Monday, December 05, 2011

Pros: "AWD, comfortable, roomy, everything!!"

Cons: "only one: Serpentine belt can be annoying"

"I Love it!!! I wish to find another one almost the same but newer!!The AWD is awesome for Colorado barely any problems, reliable and great for trips, plemty of room and comfortable. Just AWESOME!!!"

Great family car

By on Thursday, December 01, 2011

Pros: "All of the features it has we both enjoyed'"

Cons: "No cons, great and comfortable to drive."

"This van was just perfect for my handicapped wife. Easy to get in and carry her wheelchair. Plenty of room to carry friends and great for shopping."