1996 Dodge Grand Caravan Passenger

7.6

Based on 366 Ratings for the 1996 - 2000 models.

van happy

By on Saturday, July 14, 2007

"I have had my van since nov 98 and have not had any problems with it. The gas mileage has always held wonderful. My van currently has over 120k miles and is still running excellent. The only thing that I could complain is on long trips the front seats are not the most comfortable. I did not have power seats and that may make a difference. My van has been worth it."

The best vehicle I have ever owned.

By on Thursday, December 04, 2014

Pros: "Longevity of life with regular oil changes."

Cons: "Cup holders in front of A/C and heat controls"

"I bought this van brand new. My first new car ever. It has been a great car with VERY LITTLE mechanical issues. I have only had 1 major repair and that was while it was under warrantee. I got between 20-24MPG, but the comfort and space was worth it. I am would definitely buy a new van with the same features."

Amazing Longevity!

By on Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Pros: "Great price, great reliability, parts easy to get"

Cons: "boring, some body rust, weak A/C"

"I bought my Grand Caravan while on a trip to southwestern Minnesota. The thing had 220,000 miles on it, but I took a chance anyway for $800. I've now had it more than three years and it's still running. It has not needed any major repairs, maybe just brakes once. I also use it for my painting and outdoor services business, and it often tows a trailer. I really, really did not expect it to last this long."

Loved this vehicle!

By on Tuesday, April 03, 2012

I own this car

"Loved this vehicle! I hated to give it up. I was afraid of it's age. Good ride, nice to drive and everyone was comfortable in it. I guess we were lucky because I read bad things in Consumer Reports but ours was a jewel!"

reliability has been fantastic

By on Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Pros: "reliability, maintenance costs, rides well"

Cons: "seats are heavy to remove"

"We bought our grand caravan new in August, 1997 because we needed more room for our young family. It has been from Kansas to: Phoenix twice; Washington D.C. twice; Flagstaff; and Nashville without a worry to us. It doubles as our "truck" to haul just about whatever we need. We have had to replace the instrument board ($1000) and the solenoid, but other than basic maintenance we have had minimal operating costs. I have heard of other people who have had transmission issues, but so far none for us. I would buy another if we still needed the capacity."

Highly dependable

By on Thursday, July 08, 2010

"Got the car with over 100k miles and have put on over 130,000 myself with no major mechanical work. Have traveled to Wisc. four times, Florida twice, and various regional trips and have always been satisfied with the performance."

Roomy

By on Sunday, November 04, 2007

"Easily could have lasted over 350,000km, very roomy cabin space. Excellent for long trips. Nothing at all went wrong for this one. We kept it in good shape. It was a 99 Grand Caravan SE AWD. Once in Winnipeg, it stormed so bad that alot of people were left stranded and shoveling. The old van just drove right out of it's parking spot with no trouble. Twice! Great fuel eco. I sold it at 225,000 km."

We've loved this van

By on Friday, November 02, 2007

"My husband and I bought our minivan in 1999. This has been an extremely reliable, comfortable car. We've had it regularly serviced and have put on about 11,000/year. It's still in good shape (except the AC finally gave out). We have the Sport model which has a heavy duty suspension, extra insulation and sport wheels. It has been a dream to drive. Best car purchase we ever made."

best car yet

By on Wednesday, October 31, 2007

"I now have 293,500 miles on it and it's still going on the first engine and 2nd tranny. I bought it used with 116,000 miles off lease. I'm a single guy and have used it for camping and kayaking including many long trips along the Lewis and Clark trail. I will soon make it to 300,000 miles when I will detail it in celebration. I am looking at newer vans and will buy another Grand Caravan."

No wonder is the #1 best seller

By on Saturday, August 04, 2007

"My 2005 Grand Caravan SXT just turned 68,000 miles. This vehicle has been 100% reliable and I've only had to perform routine maintenance. The only warranty work performed was a recent recall to replace the secondary air bag sensors. Fuel mileage exceeds EPA ratings. I get 19-20MPG city and have hit as high as 28MPG highway with 6 adults onboard. All on 87 octance regular gas since the 3.8L V6 doesn't require mid or premium grade fuel like some of the foreign competition. Considering the severe duty mine gets, the fuel mileage, performance and reliability are amazing. While the horsepower and torque ratings aren't as high as some, I can't imagine anyone being disappointed in the performance. This thing is more than decent off the line and the power seems to come on strong in the mid-range and beyond. Accelerating from 50 MPH up to 80-90 MPH is quick. You'll surprise alot of sport sedan drivers in how well you can keep up, to 110MPH if you'd like. Passing is absolutely no hassle. It delivers 20 MPG cruising at 80 MPH. Handling is suprisingly good for a minivan. Extremely stable, solid cornering, and decent brakes. Once I got rid of the Bridgestone Turanza tires at 47,000 miles that came with it new and repalced them with Michelin HydroEdges the handling improved dramatically. While styling is a subjective thing, I think the Dodge/Chrysler minivans that were redesigned back in 2001 are the best looking on the road. Mines loaded with everything from dual power sliders to a power liftgate, rear seat DVD video, rear A/C & heat, park sense backup systems, etc. I'm thankful my power sliders haven't failed like the ones on my co-workers Honda Odyssey nor do the Dodge Caravans have the catastrophic transmission failures like the Hondas do. The Stow'N'Go seating is fantastic. You can fold the second and third row seats in minutes and have a completely flat load floor, something none of the competitors can do. The second row seats can be uncomfortable for adults on longer trips but kids don't seem to notice."