2012 Dodge Durango

Based on 127 Ratings for the 2011 - 2017 models.

Great looking and comfortable. I feel safe.

By on Sunday, May 25, 2014

Pros: "Stylish and comfortable with all the electronics."

Cons: "Fuel economy in town."

Style and comfort with a boss engine.

"This is my dream car. I have to sell it because my finances have changed. This car would make a great family vehicle and also a great vehicle to drive your clients around. I have owned many cross over vehicle and I have not enjoyed this one far more than any of the others. The only negative is the gas mileage in town. I now do more in town driving because I am retired."

Style and comfort with a boss engine.

My first lemon

By on Saturday, April 2, 2016

Pros: "Loaded Citadel thats Fun to drive, Looks great"

Cons: "8 speed transmission constantly slips"

"After having this car made to order at the 30 mile mark, the whole back end came out. Little did I know that this would be the start of all this vehicles issues I never thought were possible. The brakes were never the same after they attempted to repair the back end twice. When I stop the vehicle it sounds like an old metal can coming to a stop. My navigation went crazy while I was on vacation and it took me and my family to another side of Virginia while traveling from New York. And one of the most important problems for this vehicle is that the 8 speed transmission,constantly slips while your driving. The dealership has no fix for it, but wont say that to you."

50,000 miles and extremely satisfied

By on Sunday, November 22, 2015

Pros: "Best car I've ever owned over 39 years of driving"

Cons: "Boomy stereo, resale is fair at best"

"I am an engineer who took a new job approximately 18 months ago that requires me to travel extensively for work using my own vehicle. Sometimes I carry clients to dinner or job sites while other times I carry work-related cargo that requires a relatively spacious vehicle. Additionally, I knew that I would be driving long distances, often traveling in the evening after a long day. So, I wanted something with adaptive cruise control and automated collision warning systems plus excellent headlights to reduce my fatigue and enhance safety. It needed to be reasonably spacious as I am a relatively big person at 6'2" and 220 pounds and my associate who travels with me frequently is 6'7". Finally, I wanted something relatively fuel efficient for its size because my mileage reimbursement is the same whether I get 15 or 30 mpg, while still having decent power. After studying the vehicles available, I bought a 2014 Durango Citadel V-6 RWD with the Tech Package. It also came with the rear buckets, which I might have otherwise skipped but it was the least optioned Citadel with Tech Package and black interior I could locate in my area. (I find that I can't keep a tan interior looking clean.) After 18 months and 50,000 miles, I have come to love my Durango and feel I made the right choice. Compared to my previous vehicle, a 2004 Chevrolet Avalanche, the Durango feels downright nimble. The independent rear suspension keeps it on track even on rough roads and the ride is firm but not harsh. It seems to drive smaller than it is. I've had exactly two problems, neither of which I consider a big deal. First, the Malfunction Indicator Light came on around 40k miles although it was running fine. I finally got it to the dealer about 500 miles later and it turned out to be a faulty oil pressure sensor. The service writer at the dealer noted that they had seen about 15 other Pentastar V-6s with the same problem. He also noted that the replacement part was a different part number and had been revised by Chrysler. Consequently, he said it was unlikely the problem would occur again. It was repaired under warranty and should be covered by the 5/100 powertrain warranty if if occurs again. The other problem I noted at about the 30k miles was that one of the taillights had accumulated moisture inside. The dealer replaced the entire taillight housing, also under warranty. Other than those things, it has been as reliable as the sunrise. The car has been squeak and rattle-free so far. The upgraded Napa leather that comes with the Citadel trim (I think it's optional on the R/T) still looks like new, especially on the outside driver seat bolster where I slide in and out. My Avalanche, by comparison, suffered considerable wear on this area. Living in the southeastern US, I really like the ventilated seats. The effect is subtle; you don't really feel a blast of air on your backside. But, it keeps your back and posterior from getting all sweaty. I also like the heated wheel, which comes as a surprise. It gets toasty in a hurry. The seats themselves are pretty firm, but I find them to be supportive for seven or eight hour trips. I find the V-6 to have plenty of power for my needs. I test drove the Hemi and it's quite sweet, but I didn't think it was so much better that I could justify the increase in fuel consumption. I like the way the Pentastar sounds when it's winding up, it's a pleasant growl. The 8 speed transmission works very smoothly, but it does take a moment to drop several gears if you make a sudden call for acceleration. Once it finally drops to the right gear, it gets up and goes quite nicely. The fuel economy has gotten better as the car has accumulated miles and gotten broken in. If you can keep the speed down to below 75 mph, it gets great highway mileage. I routinely get 26 to 28 mpg on long trips. If I use the adaptive cruise control and get behind a semi doing 65-70 mph, I can get 30 mpg. However, if you are driving in the upper 70s to 80 mph and/or are in hilly country the mileage goes down to the low 20s. It's amazing the difference 5 mph makes. If you go much over around 73 mph, the transmission drops from super-duper overdrive 8th gear to super overdrive 7th. If you are in hilly country or risking a speeding ticket, it will hold 7th even downhill, presumably as part of the programming to keep it from hunting between gears. No car is perfect, so there are a few things I might change. First the stereo makes a lot of bass, but the crossover must be pretty high because it's obvious it's coming from the subwoofer in the back. One review summed it up pretty well when they noted it was like living next door to a disco. Some tracks (such as "Whiskey" by Marian Hill) give it fits to the point that I had to turn the bass down. That said, when I am alone in the car I sometimes play it pretty loud... The GPS works okay, but when you ask it to search for POIs it only gives you the distance but not direction. So, if you ask it for the nearest McDonald's, for example, it may tell you the nearest one is 3 miles away but you don't know if that's in front of you or behind. I wish you could search along the route and it would indicate if it's ahead or behind. I know they can do this because the fuel prices app tells you this. The trim plate at the edge of the cargo area looks like metal but it's really just metallic-looking plastic. It's all scarred up from sliding cases and luggage in and out of the back. Real metal or less scuff-prone plastic without the faux metal look would be preferable. Finally, the biggest problem is one of perception. The Dodge nameplate is not very upscale and Chrysler is not known for its stellar reliability. While I am not particularly worried about driving a prestigious brand, the resale value doesn't appear to be the greatest for these reasons. This is offset, however, by the fact that I was able to get the car at a reasonably big discount relative to MSRP. So, I don't think I will take too much of a beating but I would not buy unless given a good deal to compensate for mediocre resale compared to a Toyota or Honda. Overall, though, it's been smooth, fast, economical, comfortable, and reliable. The adaptive cruise control makes long trips on crowded interstates vastly less tiring and the forward collision warning has been useful once or twice while giving few false alarms. If a meteorite fell out of the sky and smashed it tonight, I would go buy another one tomorrow."

Okay car I guess

By on Friday, August 1, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable ride, plenty of room. Good in snow"

"First time I purchased an american made brand. Not terribly disappointed, but not overly happy with it either. It starts every morning and it gets me where I need to go, but it often hesitates when I accelerate (doesn't seem to know what gear to pick. The same happens when going up a slight incline. Rear shockbreaker broke and needs replacement (warranty). Chrysler seems to have a lot of issues with backorders and so far I have been waiting for a month. MPG experience is about 16-17 MPG on average. When driving highway, it gets as high as 21 MPG, but trips in town and stop and go traffic quickly reduces that to about 14-15 MPG. This car requires premium unleaded, so expect to open your wallet. Other than that, not a bad car, but for me, nothing really to write home about either."

Extremely happy with purchase!

By on Wednesday, December 31, 2014

"I own the 2014 Durango SXT AWD. Incredible vehicle! I bought this for many reasons: roominess, appearance (man, this thing looks cool), driving comfort, towing capacity, power, versatility, fuel economy, affordability, blue-tooth, and quiet ride. Best vehicle I've ever owned, period. Dodge has created a luxury-feel SUV but with an affordable price tag. Also looked at Ford Explorer, Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander, and Chevy Traverse. After extensive online research, went to test drive the Durango and LOVED it immediately. Only problems: 1) radio malfunctioned and needed to be replaced, 2) transmission shifts rough between 1-3 gears after initial start up. Smooths out after warming up. I've learned not to push it too soon and to accelerate slow and easy to allow smoother shifting. Transmission does seem to "think" too much. I've installed running boards, mud flaps, Husky floor liners, and a bug guard. Now looks like a custom, sporty SUV instead of a base model. I love that I can use to transport our 3 dogs around, then flip the 3rd row up for more passengers. I can also haul large cargo by flipping down 2nd row and it acts like a truck bed. Best of all, the Durango rides smooth and quiet at cruising speeds. My wife loves it! Great sound system, too. Lastly, the rear racetrack tail light is super stylish and unique."

Excellent vehicle.

By on Sunday, February 1, 2015

"Have no issue or problems since I purchased this vehicle brand new."

Love It

By on Saturday, February 22, 2014

Pros: "Power, Perfect Size"

Cons: "Gas Mileage is not great, but better than some"

"Fun ride. Power and style. Perfect size with plenty of passenger and cargo space, but not too big for a lady to handle. Also great for the husband who enjoys the towing package and the Hemi. When I am ready I will likely buy a new one and keep it as a back up. Haved owned Mercedes, Toyota 4-Runner and other vehicles, but this is my favorite so far."

Manufacture Defect!!!

By on Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, comfortable"

Cons: "not reliable"

"There has been problem after problems with this car. We are in the mix of lemon laws to get this car to the junk yard and off the road. And reimbursed for all the headaches and grief!"

I love this thing

By on Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Pros: "comfortable, practical vehicle"

Cons: "recalls adding up aslow to get done, fron facia"

"Great gas mileage (24 mpg highway in summer, 17-18 around town in winter). Heated steering wheel Comfortable Plenty of room, 'v6 tows my smallish boat fine Early on in cold winter day, brakes seemed to hang and make noise when backing up. They came and picked it up on a flat bed, said no problem seen and it never happened again - all free, so I cannot complain. Front air dam is low and busted off in snow bank. Was worried about chrysler quality (been burned before) but so far so good except for recalls (see cons). Love the 8 speed auto, turn knob selector ok now that I am used to it and it is less intrusive. Not as cool as push buttons on old dodge darts though!"

Comfortable and Refined Boat Tower

By on Saturday, October 24, 2015

Pros: "Ride, towing, seats, dash, quiet, turning radius"

Cons: "Has needed several software updates"

Rest stop on a fishing trip up north.

"We purchased a 2014 Durango Limited V6 All Wheel Drive. My wife and I wanted a vehicle that provided comfortable seats, smooth car-like ride, plenty of cargo space, and excellent towing ability. We have a 3,000 pound fishing boat that we tow to fishing spots in Minnesota and Wisconsin each summer. We looked at Durango, Enclave, Explorer, Pathfinder, Santa Fe, and Traverse. In addition, we looked at the Ram 1500 which my wife was leaning toward. In the end, we both agreed that the Durango best met all our needs, and after 13000 miles, we are very satisfied with our decision. We average 24.6 MPG highway without the boat, which is helped by the smooth 8-speed transmission. We got the tow package which I highly recommend."

Rest stop on a fishing trip up north.