2012 Dodge Durango

Based on 116 Ratings for the 2011 - 2015 models.

Great SUV, good mpg for a large suv, fun to drive

By on Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Pros: "MPG, handling, interior/exterior design, great V6"

Cons: "Bit heavy, no 3rd row on the Heat model"

"I purchased a I4 GMC Terrain FWD as I still wanted an SUV, but wanted decent MPG. What a disappointment. Seven months later I decided I couldn't handle the disappointing real world MPG and weak engine that I compromised in hopes of getting somewhere near the MPG claim. So I traded in the Terrain for a '11 Durango Heat AWD and I couldn't be happier. I get near full size SUV capacity, a very strong V6 and I'm only off by 2 MPG vs the Terrain in city driving and it only has 500 miles on it. I have had a couple of 50 mile HWY trips so far and based on the EVIC I'm averaging 23 MPG HWY now, I was getting about 25 MPG max on the Terrain. This was with a FWD vs the AWD in the Durango. Plus I didn't have to deal with the gear hunting of the 6 speed tranny in the Terrain. Disregard the negative comments about the 5 speed tranny in the Durango. It does just fine. I'd rather give up 1 or 2 MPG than deal with the potential of the gears always hunting. Fit and finish is great and the Heat trim handles very good for such a large SUV. This one is a keeper."

Great SUV for road trips and daily driving

By on Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Pros: "Perfect size, MPG, great driving dynamics for SUV"

Cons: "paint quality"

"Put on over 5K miles this year on road trips so far. Can't think of a better SUV to travel. The V6 offers plenty of power. Been averaging about 75 mph on the interstates with 2 adults, 2 teens and 2 weeks worth of luggage, averaging nearly 25 mpg. It's comfortable for the 8+ hour drives between the next stop. We use this as our main DD and average about 16 mpg around town, which is OK with the short drives. Overall, it's been excellent so far. I'm not sure what I'd replace with it if I had to get a new vehicle. There are a few small issues: 1. It's extremely difficult to remove any bug/road stains off the white paint. Even with multiple waxing, nothing comes off the paint without major scrubbing. 2. There a a handful of paint chips/imperfections throught out the body. Most can be fixed with touch up, but paint quality seems to be an issue. 3. There is an annoying rattle/click somewhere near the front of the drive side. Seems to rattle more with throttle. Multiple dealers still can't figure it out and have replaced a shock thinking it was defective. Still rattles."

I love this truck!

By on Friday, August 31, 2012

Pros: "Reasonal price, good gas mileage, nice base model"

Cons: "Rear shock went at 800 miles"

"Before this truck I owned a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee, a 2008 Jeep Wrangler, and a 2011 Jeep Liberty and this is by far my favorite truck so far. Now the Durango is obviously not as fun as the Wrangler was but for a family hauler it cant be beat. This trucks engine is amazing! Its the perfect balance of power and fuel economy. The handling is very impressive and very carlike. Who knew a 5000 pound truck can ever handle like this? The styling is also very mean looking which is awesome! I can haul 7 people like a minivan can but still feel cool. The Durango also has crazy amount of space. I always have enough room to fit everything I need. I even was able to fit a stack of 10 foot 2x6's in it and close the back tailgate. Pretty impressive in my book. All in all, I love this truck!"

Love this rig!

By on Thursday, August 16, 2012

Pros: "Drives like a car, not a people hauler!"

Cons: "Very firm seats"

"I researched the 2012 Dodge Durango R/T extensively before buying and all reviews I read came down to a few negatives that made me wonder if buying one was a good idea. Many reviewers talked about the ride comfort being compromised with the sport tuned suspension. After driving both the Crew version and the R/T let me say that the main difference in the suspension is that when you hit a bump the Crew will disperse that bump so that you feel less at first and then continue to feel it a little less and then a little less until it is gone. With the R/T you feel the bump and it is gone immediately. It isn't jarring or disturbing unless you expect to feel absolutely no bumps on the road. (I should also clarify for all readers that my previous car was a 2001 Toyota Highlander, so if you are driving something considerably newer maybe the ride would feel different to you. It certainly is not a negative for me.) Gas mileage is the other negative listed in other reviews. We own two other Dodge's that have V-8 engines and I can say that neither of them come close to the 19 mpg highway I can get in this Durango due to the cylinder reduction of the engine. This feature even works in city driving. Pretty much anytime you are not actively stepping down on the gas it will reduce the number of cylinders. (Going up to stop signs, down hills, driving in a flat area, etc.) In straight city driving I would imagine this car would be somewhere between 15-17 miles per gallon. I don't know for sure because I have never done it. Being stuck in traffic idling for a long time would probably cause gas guzzling as well. (My V-6 Toyota would only get somewhere between 17 and 22 mpg, so this mileage seems pretty incredible for a V-8 engine that will haul 7.) Overall I love this vehicle! My main goal with a new car was to get something that was fun to drive with more room. My kids were getting too big to sit 3 across the backseat of my Toyota. My 9 year old would have to lift up his butt so that his siblings in booster seats could get buckled on either side. If need be I can put all three across the back seat of the Durango without the lifting up on the part of the middle passenger, but I haven't had to. It is nice to be able to space them out and the access to the 3rd seat is so easy the kids can do it. My favorite features are the feel of the car while driving, tight turning radius, sunroof, bluetooth, 3rd row seat, and the storage space under the floor behind the 3rd row. My kids love all the places to charge/plug in their electronics. The only small disappointment I have is that on a long drive the seats can be a bit uncomfortable. However, they are easily adjusted to take the pressure off the numb parts. This car is very well designed and planned out, plus I love that it was made in the good old USA! I gave it a 9 on value, but I should clarify we got ours for a great deal; it's just a lot of money to pay for a car regardless. Price wise stacked up against the competition it is very competitive, plus many of it's competitors don't even offer an eight cylinder engine."

Love This Vehicle

By on Wednesday, May 04, 2011

"We love the new Durango! Has all the features we were looking for and more. Love the way it looks, drives, and feels. Its a real head turner."

RECALLS AND MALFUNCTIONS

By on Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Pros: "Nice styling. good engine power"

Cons: "cant shift. suspension bottoms out"

LOOKS GOOD.. DRIVES TERRIBLE

"Alternator recall. Fuelpump relay recall. Brake booster recall. Now power steering leak. Transmission control module failure.. AHHHH SOMEONE SHOOT ME NOW"

LOOKS GOOD.. DRIVES TERRIBLE

Best looking SUV on the market

By on Friday, March 16, 2012

Pros: "A blast to drive. good power, lots of room!"

Cons: "trailer package not standard on Crew"

"We have owned our Durango crew for a litle over a month. We were looking at an explorer and highlander. Needed a 3row suv to transport 2 kids and 2 dogs. Decided to stop at the Dodge dealership just to test out a 3rd vehicle. We immediatly fell in love with the Durango. Our kids felt that they had the most room in the third row in the Durango. In my opinion its the best looking suv out there. We have a cabin in the mountains and we have been there 3 times already in our new Durango! It accelerates nicely on the hills (I have the V6). Does well off road in the mud and snow. I have been pleasently suprised with the gas mileage. We have been averaging between 20-22. On the highway we're getting close to 26! The uconnect system is great. Automatic high beams and automatic windshield wipers were also a nice suprise! If I had any complaints it would be that Dodge is really pushing the towing capacity yet my Durango with a 37k sticker price does not have a standard tow hitch! Didnt even realize that since i enjoyed everything else so much."

Worryfree and economical

By on Monday, March 31, 2014

Pros: "reliabilty, fuel economy, ride"

Cons: "No diesel available"

"89,000 miles in 34 months. Never been to the dealer for any service or repair. All maintenance suggested completed and probably a few beyond the recommendations. Factory tires and brakes exceeded my expectations. Reliability, Ride, fuel economy and towing exceeded my expectations. If they would let us have the diesel it would be close to the perfect vehicle with the 2014 upgrades."

Excellent quality & handling. Great value.

By on Monday, February 03, 2014

Pros: "Great all around vehicle."

Cons: "None so far"

"Purchase Limited package with 6 cylinder. So far with very limited miles everything has been great. No issues at all. Confortable, handles well. To soon to determine how gas mileage will average out. Getting 25mpg during highway driving."

Love this SUV

By on Thursday, January 09, 2014

Pros: "Power, dependability, adrenalin rush!"

Cons: "Fuel economy"

"This thing has power. We pull our 29ft (5,000lb) camper behind it and the 5.7 Hemi has no problem towing it. Ours has the tow package so it is equipped with a transmission cooler and I wouldn't tow anything that big without that feature. I never thought that I'd really care for a backup camera, until I started hooking up my camper or my flatbed trailer. With the camera, I can do it without getting out of the vehicle 20 times or needing a helper. We just took this on a family trip (about 1,200 miles). The fuel economy isn't great (avg. 18-20mpg) on a long trip, but hey, this thing's got a Hemi, what do you expect. 360HP, AWD. We've had our worst snow in 20 years here and I never worry about which vehicle to take out. This one can do it all and when you pull up beside someone at a stoplight, the dual exhaust sounds great. They think twice about "seeing what you've got under the hood". When you push it to the floor, you feel it. I've always been a "Ford" man (still am), until I bought this machine, now I've come around to the great things Dodge has done."

best vehicle ever

By on Sunday, July 28, 2013

"Best new car I ever owned. Owed it for two years never had a problem The only service was Oil&filter&tire rotation"

Very nice drivingand ashort turning radius.

By on Thursday, October 11, 2012

Pros: "Very nice suv overall"

Cons: "seat molding"

"Ilike my Durango except the molding around the seat keeps breaking. It handles very well in snow and on dry roads. we get 24-26mpg, so I can't complain about anything but the seat. i like my Durango"

By far the best vehicle I have ever owned

By on Thursday, May 28, 2015

Pros: "Drive, Look and the sound system"

Cons: "There are not any"

"We traded in our Jeep Wrangler for this vehicle. This vehicle is the most comfortable on long trips with the family. I would recommend this Durango gem to anyone looking for a car that is loaded with options, comfort, reliability and class. Our vehicle insurance dropped in cost as well due to all the safety options included in the car. Best Alpine sound system I ever heard and that's right it's all about the base. If you want a car that will turns heads and is a pure pleasure to drive. Get yourself a Dodge Durango. You will not regret it."

The right one.

By on Friday, May 13, 2011

"We own the Durango Crew and we love it. It really handles nice in the snow. I have gotten 26MPG, which is very surprising for a SUV. It turns very short and I can't say enough about it. The second row seats have plenty of room. The ride is very smooth. The wind does affect gas mileage like any other SUV. We have not noticed any wind noise. The seats arew very comfortable."

Transmission is a PROBLEM!!!

By on Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Pros: "comfortable, easy to handle"

Cons: "transmission"

"Love the comfort of my Citadel, but I owned the 2011 Dodge Citadel and the transmission went out at 32,000 miles & I am noticing that the 2013 that replaced my 2011 is showing the same problems and it only has 12,000 miles on it. The only reason I agreed to purchase the '13 was because I could not trade in my '11 in for something othr than a Dodge without a transmission. I was fairly stuck with either renting a car while they repaired my vehicle or suck up the loss and just drive away with a new one and hoped that it would be better. I was wrong. I should have demanded they fix mine and traded it in for something more reliable. I would love to know if anyone else is having this problem, because all I see are perfect scores???"

Chrysler's best effort to date!

By on Friday, January 31, 2014

Pros: "Good quality build. AWD for me a must."

Cons: "Service cost for petty items after 12 months."

"They're almost there. American auto makers still haven't figured out what they have to do with service. That's one of the reasons they never catch foreign car makers. Things like loaner cars and no hassle servicing. I have owned my Dodge Durango Citadel for 14 months and think it's the best Chrysler I've owned to date. Last month both of my fog light bulbs went out and found out they are not covered under the "bumper to bumper" warranty. The service associate told me in short terms, "nope, bulbs aren't covered after 12months/12,000 miles." Cost to replace both lamps, $90. for parts and min. hour labor.I went to O'Reilly's and replaced them myself for $62. You wouldn't think a 14 month old car would need lamps yet? At 45K for a Dodge I may go a little more and look at BMW next time around."

Excellent road Vehicle with power and good MPGs!

By on Sunday, March 22, 2015

Pros: "Fun, comfortable, power, excellent MPGs!"

Cons: "8 speeds for city driving is too many!"

"Fun, comfortable, powerful yet excellent Mpg for vehicle type!"

Great value, very versatile

By on Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Pros: "Handling, smooth highway drive, utlility,"

Cons: "I opted for black cloth interior, shows dirt"

"I've had my 2014 Durango SXT Plus AWD for four months now and am very happy with it. I opted for the Captain's Chairs in the second row as I have four kids and did not want to have to flip part of the bench seat forward every time kids loaded or unloaded. This configuration is perfect for us. The SUV drives great, handles well with ample power for passing. The price was very cheap when compared with the Tahoe, Expedition or the Suburban which I also shopped. I also like how easily the rear seats flip forward to expand the cargo space in the rear. I can throw my dog in the converted back and still carry four people, then it's just a pull of a strap to reconfigure to seat 6. I opted for the AWD since we are skiers. Can't wait to try it out on snowy mountain roads in Winter. I also like the look of the vehicle. It's got nice lines with a much more manly look than a mini van. I didn't opt for the leather interior, which I should have with 4 kids and a dog to haul around. The touch screen control panel is user friendly and intuitive. Overall I'm very satisfied and would recommend this SUV to anyone. Just great value and utility for the price."

Should be on your short list

By on Thursday, April 05, 2012

Pros: "Features, safety, flexability, looks, towing, AWD"

Cons: "Gas mileage; averaging 14/20"

"When I compared to other mide to large sized SUVs the Durgano had the best looks, quality and value for the money. Owned for 2 months and no problems. With positive Consumer Report ratings with regards to reliability I do not anticipate problems. There are so many things to like about the vehicle: easy to use Bluetooh, back up camera, heated seats, AWD, easy to use nav system in a great looking vehicle. Priced very competively. Slightly downgraded comfort as it does transmit bumps slightly more then standard model. In my opinion this is more then offset by the improved handling and road feel. It is fun to drive."

Best SUV in class

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pros: "Of SUVs the most fun. Not as boring as a Highlande"

Cons: "Not thrilled with the dark fake wood(?)."

"Only V8 in class. Only rear wheel drive in class making it a better 4 wheel drive. Bells and whistles on the Citadel great. Towing capablility exceptional for class. Excellent turning radius, again, best in class. Styling is subjective but in our opinion,best in class and prefer it over the BMW X5. Do I love it? No. I hate driving SUVs but my wife wanted a 4WD SUV. If you want an SUV then get this one."

I love it...

By on Saturday, December 31, 2011

"Wish I knew it came in Mango tango...I would have picked that color. Have 3rd row seating...wish headrest would not be on the third row...blocks some of rear view. And mine has black interior..some floor mats would have been nice."

HEMI POWER! R/T Great BUY!

By on Thursday, November 03, 2011

Pros: "R/T Trim interior, HEMI engine, Comfort, roomy!"

Cons: "5 speed tranny? Still good..."

"I have had the R/T for about 2-3 months, and this thing just loves to get abused. It asks for more and gives more. Amazing comfortable ride and interior is first class! Car has a nice sporty look, but the wife thinks it is cute as well, so you can't go wrong either way! Dodge nailed it on the head with this car. Only complaint is that it should have a higher gear transmission, for possible gas savings? But still, gears feel right in car and not too spaced out."

Good Car - Have had it for 3 months

By on Thursday, October 27, 2011

"This vehicle looks nice and rides very smooth. I like the dashboard features that come with the basic model; the amount of space is nice too. I don't get as good of gas milage as I would like; I get on average 19 mpg highway, but have gotten up to 21. I did have to have my Durango in to replace parts for my A/C shortly after I bought the car, and was not too thrilled by that. Another thing I worry about is that I may end up breaking the fog lights and the piece that holds them out when going through snow this winter (South Dakota winters are not very friendly!). That part rides a little too low in my opinion and could be designed higher like the old Durangos, and made with higher quality material (have a fog light already out of place in my Durango)."

lOVE THE CAR BUT ELECTRONIC PROBLEMS REDUCE RELIAB

By on Thursday, March 05, 2015

"Car has been returned to dealer for service 15 times in the last 13 months."

Very nice and fun to drive

By on Friday, August 15, 2014

Pros: "Acceleration, interior and exterior, ride"

Cons: "Seat is a touch narrow"

"Have only had my Durango a few weeks but can honestly say (after owning many SUV's) it is one of my favorites. Bought the RT model with the Hemi and it is a lot of fun to drive for a large vehicle. Good acceleration but of course the fuel mileage suffers because even in the eco mode it am still getting 16 mpg average. Vehicle is comfortable although the seats are a little narrow and I am not a wide bodied person. Other then that the interior is top notch. One of the best(and easy to use) touch screens I have seen and I have owned a good number of vehicles. IT has to rate right at the top. Very convenient with the third seat that folds and I usually keep it folded since I don't carry more then five people usually. Exterior wise the Durango gets a lot of looks and I have had numerous people come up and comment on how they like the looks. All in all for the short time I have owned it I would say I am very glad I decided to buy a Durango. Definitely consider one if you are shopping in this category."