2008 Dodge Durango

Based on 714 Ratings for the 2004 - 2009 models.

Bought this Durango new.

By on Friday, November 14, 2014

Pros: "Best handling and performing SUV"

Cons: "Cheap materials used on interior"

"This has been a great vehicle to own. Other than regular oil changes and three sets of tires, the SUV has been extremely reliable. Gas mileage is not that great, but what do you expect from a 5.7 liter engine and a heavy duty vehicle. All systems continue to function well with the exception of the stacking CD player. I am on my second unit and the CD player no longer works. The CD's appear to get jammed. Leather interior and paint have held up well. Fit and finish of interior could be better and would prefer less use of cheap looking plastics. Would I buy this vehicle again? Absolutely! Do I recommend it to others? Absolutely!"

good value...got what i paid 4

By on Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Pros: "reliable"

Cons: "gas guzzler"

"this has been a very reliable, however bland, vehicle ownership experience..."

Durango SXT AWD is simple yet very funtional

By on Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Pros: "Room, funtionality, AWD!, tow package, storage bin"

Cons: "4.7 could use a little more HP/typical big SUV MPG"

"I bought my Durango used with 65k on it and since have nearly put 10k more on it. I purposely picked the SXT trim for the delete 3rd row seat in favor of the additional storage compartment. I also chose a AWD/2spd 4WD model for that added function for the ICE storms we have in SC. Other than a trans service because of the mileage and a related ESP sensor this truck has performed brilliantly. The AWD system is superb, I can traverse my up hill gravel driveway with no slip where other's spin. It handles ice, snow, mud, heavy rain, and wet field grass like it were dry. The interior of the SXT is not luxurious, but it is perfect for anyone who is outdoorsy, has pets, hunts, or just wants a functional over frilly vehicle. Seats are comfortable for long hauls, and there is plenty of legroom for grown adults(I'm 6'3"). I have seen comments of interior is plasticy, it is but it's durable and less to worry about falling apart. I have two huge storage bins in the back under the main floor. One for towing/hauling gear, the other for my outdoorsy stuff I don't want laying around. Only gripe I have is I wish the 4.7 flex fuel put out 250hp to 300hp instead of the 230hp, but it will still adequately get up and go when passing and merging on the highway. The other is the fuel mileage, but this thing has all the function I want, room, and durability so I will live with the 16-22mpg."

Great value for money.

By on Tuesday, October 07, 2014

Pros: "Great Value for $"

Cons: "Map sensor is a pain in the transmission."

"A "Jack of All Trades" but a master of none. 4x4 works good and my "Limited" has an electronic Locking Differential, which is great for Northern States winter snow.Electronics work well. Lots of room. Interior seats are leather with sued inserts. Rest of interior is a bit "Plastic-ish", kind of cheap. Infinity sound system is booming. V-8 4.7(not flex fuel) Power is OK and it is quite reliable. Transmission has a mind of it's own very easily influenced by the MAP sensor if it is dirty. No check "eng" light but if rev counter fluctuating in "park" or "N", bad things happen when you go in "D". Trans goes haywire, bangs,slips and fuel usage goes up. This issue can even cause a "stall" while driving. It happened to me once. Don't panic, do not slam on the brakes. Just coast to a safe stop on side of road. It should start right up after you shut key off to reset it and then start vehicle. I noticed in dodge forums many people say they have same problem. Overall not bad after 7 years and 50k miles with no major or constant minor issues. I am a bit torn if I would by another one. After 7 years I would have to re evaluate the market as it is very dynamic."

Comfort,handling,reliability are a +. MPG is a -.

By on Thursday, September 25, 2014

Pros: "Price was good, very comfortabe and easy to drive."

Cons: "Fuel mileage, by todays standards, is lacking."

"I have owned 2 other Durango's, a 2001 and a 2003, and they were both excellent vehicles. The 2005 has given me the same, if not more, reliability, comfort, enjoyment and a feeling of safety. It handles well considering its weight and size. On long trips, it rides smoothly and road and wind noise are barely perceptible. The steering wheel mounted controls for the cruise control and sound system affords less distraction. In fact, all controls are placed where they present little distraction to the operator which, in my opinion, is paramount! Less distractions equals fewer accidents! The only negative thing I can say is, the fuel mileage leaves a lot to be desired."