2005 Dodge Durango

Based on 732 Ratings for the 2004 - 2009 models.

Best vehicle I have ever owned-new or used!

By on Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Pros: "great ride, comfort, power, hauling-towing"

Cons: "interior materials look and feel cheap!"

"I have owned several vehicles and this Durango is definitely the nicest one I have ever owned! I don't have any complaints about it except the interior quality is not up to the standards that the new ones are. The materials used look cheap and the new Durango has a definitely improved interior! Other than that, I do not have a complaint with my Durango. I have the 5.7 Hemi that reminds me of my misspent youth (so much power-so little time), it hauls or tows like a truck, has a truck suspension under it instead of a Grand Cherokee suspension like the new one and is very solid and strong! We drive about 1000 miles to Denver every year and it does great on mileage. We make about 21-22 m.p.g. Its definitely the nicest thing I have ever owned!"

Very Reliable

By on Thursday, January 13, 2011

"I bought this Durango new in 06 and have never had any problems with it what so ever. It gets decent gas mileage 17.5 or better if on highway. It's a great long haul traveler!"

Love It!

By on Thursday, September 09, 2010

"Absolutely love this vehicle. It pulls everything and keeps on a going. Great family vehicle. I agree with some other posters, a little uncomfortable for super long hauls, but I am tempted to buy another one none the less."

love it!

By on Friday, December 18, 2009

"I have the '06 AWD, Hemi. Use it mostly as a tow vehicle for 28' travel trailer and 18'boat.I have towed the trailer from FL to Seatlle, Wa. and all points between over 2 months time and it did the job without complaint and plenty of power even in the Rockies. Towing fuel economy is in the 11-12 mpg, not towing as high as 21.5 on interstate cruising. very solid feel , very quiet cabin, rides like a Cadillac, Majority of the 50K miles are towing with no problems at all, great vehicle."

LOVE IT!

By on Monday, November 16, 2009

"Bought my 2005 Durango used with a warranty. Had a couple of minor problems with it in the beginning but nothing major. I've had it going on a year in December 2009. The only bad thing I will say is that the inside is rather cheap and does fall apart. The light cover on the inside of the driver side door fell off when I closed the door and the seat belt plastic cover also fell off. My Durango is fully loaded (built in DVD player, third row seating (which can fold down for more storage space), leather, sun roof, running boards, fog lights, etc). Very roomy and comfy. Gas mileage isn't as bad as I thought. I've driven a Saturn Vue and Chevy Trailblazer and both were worse on gas than the Durango. Overall, I would recommend this truck to anyone."

So far So good

By on Monday, September 21, 2009

"Smooth ride on highway. Plenty of room and plenty of vroom. I always had imports before this and switched from a Toyota Sienna to this. Half the payments!!! Loads more power and similar features. I didn't think I would like an American car but the HEMI is a dream. I won't want another 4 or 6 cylinder..."

BEST SUV you will find

By on Friday, June 05, 2009

"This is an excellent car, versatile and stylish, gets better gas mileage than what the dealer suggests. Has everything you need at your fingertips including your cell phone on the steering wheel. you can control everything at a touch of a button and it has a sensor that helps keep you at the perfect temp, not too hot, not too cold., Seating is as comfortable as your reclkiner at home, so no more back fatigue when driving long distance. Very few blind spots. Can I say more......."

By on Thursday, May 28, 2009

"I love my Durango. I got it 2 years ago and it was already a year old. I have had absolutely no problems at all with. The only work I have had to do with it is general matainance. My daughter loves the dvd player in it. Its comfortable and great for family trips. The only reason I gave it 4 stars for value is for the gas mileage, but what do you expect for a suv?!"

Gotta Love it!

By on Monday, April 13, 2009

"I traded in my 2002 Ram 1500 for a used 08 Durango with 13576 miles on it. There is a big difference between a truck and this SUV as far as ride and comfort. The Durango glides on the streets and cruises on the highway. I have the V8 and the power is exceptional. The 08 V8 has been redone and it is definitely noticeable. You obviously don't buy a vehicle like this for gas mileage. I am rural and get about 20 on the roads and highways. In town a little less. Storage is unreal; I actually forget where I put something in it and have to look for it. The comfort is excellent. I can have adults in all seats and everyone is comfortable. I would recommend not purchasing this vehicle new in the $36,000-$40,000 range. As with most vehicles, the value of this vehicle depreciates tremendously. I paid $18,000 and it is well worth every penny I spent. However, I would not shell out $40,000 for it."

Powerfull & spacious SUV

By on Saturday, March 28, 2009

"I need something with more towing capacity, so I purchased a 2004 Dodge Durango SLT to replace my 2003 Suzuki XL-7 (which by the way was an excellent vehicle) The Durango equipted with the 5.7L V8 Hemi is very powerfull, an excellent tow vehicle, and even with all its weight, acceleration is impressive. It also handles good. I have the AWD/4-wheel drive, and it is very capable off-road. The 3-row seats are easy to use and roomy enough for adults to sit in comfort. Fold up the 3-row seats, and you have a nice large cargo area. The factory stereo system is awesome! The only drawbacks to this vehicle is, like all big SUVs, it gets poor gas mileage. Also it has rust issues, that I am having a problem getting the dealer to honor a warranty claim under the anti-corrosion part of the warranty. Over all, I like my Dodge Durango which I bought used, with 48k miles for $11k in the middle of 2008."

Great All-Around SUV with Power to spare

By on Sunday, March 22, 2009

"This is primaraly my wife's vehicle, and it serves as "The Family Car" as well. With 3 kids, 3 rows is practically a must of long and short trips alike. We chose a loaded SLT version with the Hemi engine option and couldn't be happier. Our's is a 2007 model year. SOme of the other ntable options we have are the 18" tires, Moon Roof, Heather Leather Seating, to name a few. What I like about the Durango is that it is as roomy as larger SUV's on the inside, but not nearly as bulky on the outside. On the highway, it rides like a dream. No harshness, yet not too mushy either. Performance with the Hemi is spectacular, yet when highway cruising with the MDS (only 4 cylinders working), Gas mileage improves to over 20 MPG on average. A great feat for SUV full of people. The Durango is a real winner year-round for all tasks that are thrown at it. We are very happy with ours. I see resale (like most large 8 cylinder vehicles) has dropped dramatically, but I would never sell ours at such a ridiculous low price being shown in the used value pricing. I'd keep it as a extra vehicle first when that time came."

Surprising Vehicle

By on Sunday, February 01, 2009

"This is a great SUV, easily the smoothest riding car I've driven in quite some time. Backup camera is priceless as is the HEMI. 21 mpg on the highway, but a not so great 13 in town. But, if your buying a 335 hp HEMI, mpg should be the last thing you are looking at. Overall, I am extremely pleased with this Dodge, it is absolutely perfect for our family with off the charts performance and great safety features all in one."

It's not a truck but....

By on Saturday, January 31, 2009

"The wife wanted somthing other than my pick up to haul the kids around in. I offered a crew cab, but no dice. I settled on a 2004 Durango with a Hemi. It pulls the 5,000 pound boat with no problem...absolutely no problem! On the highway I have to keep it in check, it wants to run. In the snow, I've tried to get it stuck. It's been in fresh powder up to it's bumper, and sent snow flying! If you have gas, it'll go through anything. Gas milage is about 16 banging around town, and 20 or so on a highway trip. Both numbers go down if you're working the hemi. With the boat on the back you're 14. It's a great vehichle. I still miss my pick up. The Durango doesn't have a tailgate, and really messes it up to haul mulch in the back. Not to mention, no cargo light. But all in all, a very nice rig. A former gear head, turned Dad's sports car."

Great Vehilce

By on Thursday, January 08, 2009

"Really like my car. No major problems with it at all..the HEMI rocks! Rides like a car, very comfortable"

Never buy a dodge after this

By on Saturday, July 19, 2008

"I purchased the Durango Brand new cause I didn't want the headaches with a used car taking it to the shop. Well I had a bigger headache with the new Durango then I did with my previous used 98 Grand Cherokee. I had to take it in for warning lights coming on, the paint looks like it was rusting after a year. I spent more time in a waiting room at dodge then I have with my past 2 used cars. Very dissappointed that I spent the money on a new truck when I had more problems then I did with my used cars."

MDS is a must

By on Monday, July 14, 2008

"Even with a 5.7 Hemi I get 21.5 MPG if I drive it the right way. I have to tow a trailer and this is a great vehicle for towing and passenger comfort. Even with high gas prices, the mileage I get included with the ability to easily tow a trailer is a major factor in purchasing this vehicle. The MDS system is a wonderful advantage."

Excellent vehicle for the money

By on Friday, May 30, 2008

"People always complain about the gas mileage, but I have gotten as high as 21.6 MPG on a 70 MPH, 550 mile trip. In my opinion this is excellent for a 4WD, 5500 lb truck that can carry 8 people and tow 8800 lbs!"

Durango ok

By on Thursday, March 06, 2008

"I have had this truck 3 yrs now. It runs well, and is comfy, with the leather seats and the DVD for the kids, but with the 5.7 liter hemi, it sucks gas bad! I look at the little computer thing that tells me the gas milage at the current state, it is saying 13 MPG city, that is awful! I would not advise this vehicle for anyone who is wanted to save money on fuel, or who has to drive a lot for work, you will go broke. We paid $40K for this truck in 2005, and it has not held it's value! I would advise going with something that is more likely to hold it's value and something that gets better gas milage."

Awesome

By on Sunday, February 24, 2008

"Though I wasn't impressed with the gas milage, it is to be expected in any SUV. It rides like a champ and looked great. I bought my 06 Durango (used) with 23K miles for about $19K. I felt very safe with my family. Last month I hit black ice, spun around, off the road, down a ravine, and into a tree, gliding over rocks and stumps all the way down. I totaled the vehicle, but walked away without even a sore neck. Now I'm back in another Durango (07) and still very impressed with its performance. I'll have it for some time to come."

Dodge Durango

By on Monday, February 18, 2008

"I own a 06 Dodge Durango limited 4x4 w/ the 5.7L Hemi. The power and towing are excellent. The gas mileage even with the MDS system isnt very good, average is 18mpg. My biggest dissapointment is the resale value on the durango, I have a 06 w/ the above options and 26k miles and it is only worth about 20k. The sticker price was 43k, so in two years the vehicle has lost 23k dollars...that is a depreciation rate of over 50% in two years. My advice is if you buy one, keep it till the wheels fall off, if not you wont get you moneies worth. So buyer be ware when buying a dodge, the resale isnt very good!"

great SUV

By on Sunday, December 23, 2007

"Not too large or too small-does everything very well. Have never had a problem, and if you can keep your foot out of the hemi power it has average 19-20 on several trips. If it had a Japanese name they would have sold thousands more just as is; perseption sells. These are great purchases for the used car buyer."

love it

By on Thursday, October 04, 2007

"I had a nissan that I traded in on this vehicle The nissan would not stay out of the shop 30,837 mile and 5 yes thats right 5 transmissions american is the only way to buy durango best buy out there would like for it to have a few more gadgets like the nissan but the reliability is there Bought it a few weeks ago with 59 mile on it already took vacation in it and have over 4k on it not a problem one and lifetime warranty with two years free oil changes. The best bang for your buck.."

Good SUV, but some caveats

By on Wednesday, October 03, 2007

"I luv my '05 Durango. I use it almost exclusively for trips, and it tackles the highway with ease. It's very comfortable and I can fit all my friends with ease even large folks in the 3rd row seat. But, beware, there are some issues: - Gas mileage, have gotten as bad as 12 mpg per tank (one time all city driving.) - interior materials could be higher quality (one seat belt piece broke) - Depreciation is horrible, you will not get book value for trade in from anyone except the Dodge dealer. - There is tremendous wind noise with all 4 windows down But, there are plusses: - interior room - cargo room and hauling capability - ease to drive. This is my 4th Chrylser product and more than likely NOT my last. The dealer here treats me like gold, much better than the local Chevrolet dealerships (and I have experience with them with my company car.)"

Durango Diva

By on Sunday, September 16, 2007

"I was so nervous when purchasing a new SUV. I've had several bad experiences. Both from the dealers and the performance of the SUV after I've gotten it home. My 2004 Durango is by far the best SUV I have ever owned. I LOVE THIS THING!!!! All the extras I wanted and then some. Comfortably seats my family. My husband is 6'6.5" and my 3 boys are each a foot above average heights for their ages. Never skipped a beat or required a repair. I would absolutely buy it again and will. Best tip...shop for what you want online before you go to the dealer. Have print outs from several different dealers in hand when you walk through the door. Don't get your financing at the dealer! I went to Road Loans and had a wonderful experience. I ended up with a great deal on a great SUV. $2,500 below Kelly Blue Book...at the dealer. 8% LESS on the financing interest rate than the dealer offered me. Road Loans was $0 down and the dealer wanted 20% (with the higher interest rate). LOVING MY DURANGO!!!"

By on Saturday, September 08, 2007

"I wouldn't recommend this vehicle. Horrendous roar when windows are open and wind tunnel with them closed. Seat belt plastic breaks. Door seals have fallen off twice. Doors vibrate. There's no storage room with 3rd seat. Gas mileage isn't what they advertise. I get 11 in town and sometimes, on rare occasions, 21 on highway. Don't leave in the sun unless you cover the dash, dash turns sticky and can't clean it."