2005 Dodge Durango

Based on 723 Ratings for the 2004 - 2009 models.

Best Bang for the Buck

By on Monday, September 02, 2013

Pros: "Hemi, Great in Snow, Exterior Styling"

Cons: "Fuel Mileage, Cheap Interior Plastics"

"I've owned my 2005 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD Hemi for 6 years and it's been one of the best vehicles I've ever owned. In that time, the only issue I've had was a bad EGR Valve (easy fix). Other then that, it's just been basic maintenance. The Durango has plenty of power and drives smooth. Fuel economy isn't great, but I knew that when I bought it. Winter handling is the best I've ever experienced. Total confidence driving in the deepest snow with the AWD selected. If you need a vehicle that is great in snow, can seat 8 and tow/haul, then this is the one."

Good but not great.

By on Tuesday, September 11, 2007

"Will skip the looks and styling for the most part as that's just cosmetic and get to the important stuff. Good Points: Ride is smooth and rough roads are tolerated well. Plenty of space even with third row seat in use in terms of storage. Headlights provide good visibility and the fog lights add good short distance improvement. Hemi is plenty strong enough to pass and pull (not going to go into gas mileage, it's a V-8, deal with it or don't buy it). Controls and the like are easy to reach and clearly marked. Wind noise is well supressed. Leather seats are quite comfortable and provide good support. Heated seats are quick to warm and high setting should only be used if you want to fry an egg! The extra 12 volt outlets are handy including the one buried under the CD storage, nicely concealed. Anchors for child seats are easy to reach, well located and solid. Have the middle grade stereo/cd player and sound quality is excellent and well distributed, CD player doesn't skip no matter what your driving over. Bad Points: Transmission is slow to engage, especially when going from reverse to forward, quite an annoying delay. Angle of windshield makes it impossible to reach far enough to clean inside glass with a normal human hand. Glove box is ridiculously small and barely holds a few napkins with the owners manual taking up most of it. No room for 2nd row passengers when anyone over 6 foot is in the front seat. Access to 3rd rown seats is cumbersome and you need to be a gymnast to get in there. Not enough visible gauges, only speed, rpm's and fuel status are available. Pillar behind driver prevents you from seeing what's next to you no matter how you try to crank your head around, quite the blind spot. No standard overhead console for temp, direction, fuel mileage, etc for the adventurer and no standard auto dimming rear view mirror. There is no light under the hood and you have to use the manual prop rod instead of springs that hold up the hood. These should all be standard on a $38,000 vehicle. Seat track broke at 18,000 miles and a front end noise is now starting around the driver side tire area. DVD player is way to expensive of an option, would like to have it but glad it didn't come standard. Overall: Glitches like any American made vehicle but seems solid and have enjoyed driving it. To bad they're going to do away with this vehicle after the 2009 model year."

I have loved my Durango for 10 years.

By on Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Pros: "Smooth ride, and lots of room."

Cons: "Gas mileage isn't great, but it's a big SUV."

"I bought this car new in 2004. I have always had a 30 to 40 minute commute to work and back. I put 227,500 miles on it so far. I broke down one time only, because of a bad water pump. Other than that I had no flats, or mechanical problems, until now. It is old and tired, and it has served me well. I feel like I am losing an old friend. My kids are grown, and I am downsizing."

reliable

By on Monday, December 03, 2012

Pros: "SUV gas mileage. Comfort for a crowd"

Cons: "small rust issue. Gas tank fill ups blow back gas"

"Bought the vehicle used because of the good reviews and have not been disappointed. Comfortable for 8. Great to take to the ballgames and tailgate. Decent mileage for a Suv. 20 on the highway 16 in town. A little rust issue on the back driver side fender. Seems to be a frequent problem. Blow back of gas if you fill the tank to the top."

One the best vehicles I,ve owned

By on Sunday, January 06, 2013

Pros: "Love the hemi, great ride and functionality"

Cons: "rather plain interior for a limited"

"Aquired new in late '05. After nearly 7 years still performs flawlessly. Only minor issue with broken plastic seat trim which was replaced under warranty. Hemi has plenty of power and vehicle rides super smooth for a large suv. Drove a new 2012 Durango and interior is much improved although overall size of model has been cut down and is now based on Grand Cherokee. My '06 has considerable more cargo space and a more functional 3rd row seat when needed. At 60000 miles I upgraded to new 20 " wheels and tires which makes me feel like I have a new ride. American autos are continuing to improve and I may keep this baby for a long time as it is so hard to part with something that stills works and looks good."