2003 Dodge Durango

8.1

Based on 960 Ratings for the 1998 - 2003 models.

bandcampchamp

By on Saturday, July 21, 2007

"I purchased my durango used with 90,000 miles on it to use to haul equipment for my band obsidian's dream. This thing has more room than thought... can fit drums, 4 amps, 2 p.a speakers, stands and more with middle seat down... have 170,000 miles on it and it is still without problem, handles great in snow, would recomend it to anyone.. thanx dodge for a great road vehicle for my band... duff"

Great truck

By on Friday, August 09, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "Mpg"

"It is at 201,121 miles and still going through my abusive driving. A couple of issues come up but it it is still really good. With big 5.9 motor there is so much power. Ride is smooth and comfortable with plenty of room. Stronger than my Chevy silverado in terms of power."

Great Red never let me down

By on Sunday, April 28, 2013

Pros: "It was a great safe tank!"

Cons: "Low gas milege"

"Original owner of my Big Red Durango. It has hauled around our family as well as many school children on field trips and such. I do keep proper maint on my vehicles. With basic maint this car is on its original motor and a rebuilt trany. Value well it still runs and air works. The upholstery is still perfect except in one small seam that i stitched up."

Greatest vehicle I've ever purchased!

By on Thursday, December 27, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, durable, handles well, competitive $"

Cons: "needs more gadgets"

"The best purchase I've ever made in a vehicle. It's been tried & true for ten long years so far. It always gets the job done...Whether its transporting the family or furniture. It's simply the best!"

bought new best car i ever owned 4.7 motor very ef

By on Friday, February 17, 2012

Pros: "if i found a low milage 2000 i would buy it, great"

"never a problem in 12 years as good as 19 mpg. on highway"

Great idea, not so great follow through

By on Sunday, January 22, 2012

Pros: "relatively low purchase price, intuitive layout"

Cons: "low mpg, wide A-pillars, computer issues"

"The 1999 Durango seems great on the surface, but there are some issues underneath. The good: It is a good size being larger than a FourRunner or Cherokee and smaller than a Suburban or Tahoe. The interior design is nice with three row seating, generous cup holders, and an intuitive layout. The third row seat disappears leaving a large, flat load area. There is plenty of power from the 5.9l V8. The transfer case has worked flawlessly. The weight balance is good -- the Durango can go places in 2WD that required 4WD from a previously owned Tacoma. The bad: It gets terrible gas mileage. A buddy's Suburban, which is much larger, gets 4-5 mpg better than the Durango no matter what we are doing. The engine control computer is likely to fail. If you get a "no bus" error message, check the computer. Make sure you turn off the OD when towing heavy loads or you will burn up the OD and have to rebuild the transmission. The A pillars are very wide resulting in a rather large forward blind spots, especially on the drivers side. All things considered, it hasn't been bad but it hasn't been great either. If it got better gas mileage, my feelings might be a little different, but if I had it to do over again, I would have bought a Tahoe or Suburban or Yukon."

Great drivability, I enjoy the manual transfercase

By on Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Pros: "Safe and fun to drive"

"I've replaced tires and a battery and fuel pump, All vary common wear and tear items. and this has been a fun vehical to drive. I feel safe for myself and my children. Great SUV."

Reliable Family Car

By on Saturday, October 15, 2011

Pros: "Powerful engine. Reliable."

Cons: "Eats gas"

"Purchased my 2001 Dodge Durango in 2002. Had 30000 miles on it. Now Im on 180,000 miles and never had any problems with it. Kept the simple maintenance and it still very powerful and reliable. Never had any major maintenance issues with it. Great family car. The interior held up pretty good with 3 kids in it. A lot of room on the back for groceries. It does eat gas which is understandable because of the 8 cylinder engine. Overall...thsi has been the most reliable family car I've ever had. 180,000 miles later and I still love it."

great suv

By on Tuesday, January 26, 2010

"i bought mine used a year ago with 204,000 miles on it. and i now it has 233,000 on it in the year i have had it. all i have had to do to it since i bought it , has been to replace the original alternator and new tires besides the normal maintenance. i'm the third owner of the truck. will be replacing it with another one when i wear this one out."

Good SUV

By on Tuesday, September 23, 2008

"I bought this SUV used with 90,000 miles on it. It is a 2001 SLT 5.9 4x4. For the engine size/4x4 status/towing it did fair with MPG. I was getting 12/15 until I did a full tuneup, K&N air filter, New Monroe Sensitrac shocks, Tornado for air intake. Then I was getting 16.9-18 mpg on the highway. 13 in the city. I have a job that requires me to travel, towing a 18 ft travel trailer for living while on the road, needing 4x4 for snow and living in elevation. Travel nursing has its benefits. I bought this in TN, took it to Texas for 2 months, Arizona 6 months, Colorado 2 months, NM 3 months. I have put 28,000 miles on it now, about $1000 in maintenance/parts that I replaced myself. It has enough power to tow without a problem (7,500lbs). Trailer was 3,000 lbs so I did not even know it was back there most of the time. Had a problem with water heater, replaced it. I tyically drive 85 mph on highway and while towing 70mph. While towing on the highway I got 13 mpg. Its a good little SUV, but with gas prices going from $4.50 per gallon its time to get something more efficient but with all the great qualities. Xterra has grabbed my attention off road version. All and all its a good little SUV, but you have to sacrifice the MPG for the big V8. I thought a bigger trailer was in my future so that is why I bought this car. My 2 cents. Hope it helps."