2002 Dodge Durango

8.1

Based on 946 Ratings for the 1998 - 2003 models.

Love this vehicle!!!!! The original model!

By on Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable drive, great look, roomy, fun to drive"

Cons: "Gas mileage, tranny issues mimic need 4tune up"

"I love this vehicle! I would recommend it to anyone who wants an SUV. It's not good on gas mileage and can have transmission problems that can mimic the need for a tune-up, however it is a great vehicle. Mine handles excellently in ice and snow. During a blizzard when monster trucks and other 4wheel drive vehicles were getting stuck and immobilized, my green "beast" powered through without a problem. The original body style is unmatched and having the third row doesn't take away from the aesthetic. It's a comfortable drive with that monster power noise upon starting that says "this is a truck"! It's a large roomy truck but easy to see the road and surrounding in (I'm a short person and I have a less obstructed view in my truck than in a car). It's worth the value."

Great durango, especially with 360c.u.

By on Tuesday, December 09, 2014

Pros: "Great torque, comfortable, great traveling vehicle"

Cons: "transmissions can be quirky"

"Bought this suv from a family member, its now on its 3rd transmission, had a new bumper put in, new hoses, lines, ect. I drive 150 miles with it weekly and never skips a beat, (knock on wood). 5.9 has amazing power for size of vehicle, never downshifts going up hills, and going 75 I'm still only at 1,800 RPM. Power seat, all speakers work, everything works! Transmissions can be a bit quirky but when you know the shift points, its great. She really pulls. Great traveling vehicle, steering is great, (nice and tight, unlike other rams)."

I will never buy a Dodge agian

By on Saturday, November 29, 2014

Pros: "Looks nice"

Cons: "See above"

"Control module went out. 3 days at a dealer yielded no repair. All indications was that they wanted to sell me a new vehicle. Test unit for testing the control module costs $2,500. Cannot trust dealer to fix it."

03 durango - It gets the job done.

By on Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable interior, smooth ride, great 4x4"

Cons: "Low mpg"

"Ive just about had my durango for a year now and have put about 11k miles on it. So far, no serious problems have occurred. My check engine light has been on since i bought the car with a P0440 gas leak detected (small) but to my knowledge this is a common problem with durangos and dakotas of the time. A few things to look out for especially in places where it snows is rust. As long as there is no serious frame rot you should be fine with a little rust underneath it. But before you commit to buying one, take a look underneath at the shocks and frame, my rear shocks had holes rusted in them the size of oranges but they still worked fine. Transmission pan rust is a common problem with these trucks and mine has just started to rust. It needs to be replaced but its pretty cheap to get a new pan and gasket, just around $35. If you are looking for a truck to haul yourself, your wife, and your 6 kids in the back, this is the vehicle for you. Its a grade A grocery getter. If you are looking for something to work on yourself this is a great choice. lots of space in the engine bay for an air intake kit once you remove the stock air cleaner assembly. Roaring exhaust with a Borla cat back."

Highly satisfied with this car. very dependable

By on Sunday, November 02, 2014

Pros: "Sturdy, dependable, powerful"

Cons: "gas mileage"

"Original owner, well maintained"

Great SUV, but POOR GAS MILEAGE

By on Saturday, November 01, 2014

Pros: "Spacious, Smooth Ride, Comfort, Rear Ac. Powerful"

Cons: "GAs Mileage Poor, Power WiD,"

"My Family Bought this S.U.V as a certified pre-owned in 2004 (had around 30k miles on it). To Us It has been a good car. Great car for us at the time, I was too young to drive and it carried all the family really comfortably. I am now driving it daily. Its a good car for around the town comfort and if you need to haul or tow small trailers. However it has some downsides. 1st off is the POOR GAS MILEAGE!!! I get about 10-14 city and 14-17hwy depending on traffic and things. Secondly is many of the luxury features will break with time( mainly things, Stereo speakers, and POWER WINDOW REGULATORS, Power seats).Also Alot of dodge vehicles are known to have transmission issues or differential issues. (IDK why but many people i have talked to have had their transmissions in dodge vehicles redone or replaced. However its has been reliable to us thus far (knocking on wood here). Personally I would Like to get something else with today's gas prices hovering between 3-4$/Gal But If your a Mother or someone that needs to haul people or things its a good car. I just don't really need these things being a 21 year old with no kids atm. Overall My family has been happy with the Durango and I Will continue to use it until I can afford a car payment."

I love this car best vehicle ever have

By on Friday, October 31, 2014

"Excellent car"

Awesome 4x4

By on Tuesday, October 07, 2014

Pros: "Reliability, towing capacity, and comfort."

Cons: "fuel milage, it's a 4x4 AWD what do you expect."

"I'm the second owner and I bought this 2002 Dodge Durango RT w/ 56,000 miles on it in 2011, since then I've only have had to replace the spark plug wires and the plugs and rotor and distributor. This is the most comfortable vehicle that I've ever owned w/ all of the bells and whistles. Its been extremely reliable and fun to drive. Gas mileage is not it's forte but the ability to get around in the winter and up and down hills in the winter on snow or ice is an excellent trade off. Also the towining capacity is outstanding as I have pulled everything from a pop up tent trailer to a 26' rv all without any problems. I LOVE This SUV!!! I had never owned a Dodge before but I'm sold on them now and plan on being a life long customer."

I LOVE my Durango!

By on Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Pros: "Good condition in and out. 4WD runs perfect."

Cons: "High mileage. All local miles."

"We have driven this vehicle for 10 years. Oil changed like clockwork, new tires occassionally and fill it up. Runs great and still looks good. Only wear on the leather interior is on the drivers side seat from sliding out. Been the best vehicle I've owned! Retireing, relocating and downsizing or I'd keep it forever."

Very disappointing!

By on Thursday, September 18, 2014

"Have always taken good care of my vehicle as I paid over $30k for it. I expected some body issues as I live in Minnesota and we have a lot of salt on the roads in the winter. However, the engine has failed me terribly. There is not much in there that we did not replace or fix and the tranny is terrible. Now the fan is going, the AC has not worked in 2 years, because I don't feel like throwing even more money at it. For a 14 year old car with only 150,000 miles on it I could not be more disappointed in it's performance. I will NEVER buy a Dodge again nor will I ever suggest someone buy one!"

good drivingi

By on Monday, August 25, 2014

I want this car

"Is a very reliable and comfortable riding vehecle"

Bullet Proof

By on Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Pros: "Very strong."

Cons: "Rear lift gate rusty."

"The 1999 Durango we own as the only owner has been a great purchase for us. Very little has been done in 15 years."

Great SUV

By on Tuesday, August 05, 2014

Pros: "reliable, and strong engine"

Cons: "rust prone"

"No major problems with this SUV. Has been very reliable and I love the power of the V8. 4x4 can parallel park in a 2' snow drift! Can haul anything too! Great for family outings and getting projects done around the house!"

The best suv ever

By on Saturday, July 26, 2014

Pros: "plenty of power,fun to drive,looks great"

Cons: "poor gas mileage"

"I have to say this is a well built machine for on road and off road, comfortable, reliable and fun to drive. The 5.9 magnum is a real treat. This Durango is in great condition inside and out with small dent on hatch back. I hate that I have to sell it."

Love my Durango

By on Saturday, July 19, 2014

Pros: "great in the snow and lots of room."

"Purchased my Durango in October of 2001 and proceeded to drive from Alaska to Texas. We were caught in a blizzard in the Yukon Territory. The Durango plowed through the snow where no snowplow had yet been. This has been the BEST snow vehicle ever. It is also very spacious. With the third row and back seats down, there is plenty of room to haul stuff. It also worked as a terrific "kennel" for our 3 big dogs when we drove cross country and took the Alaska State Ferry on a 4 day trip from Washington to Haines Alaska. The rear seat air/heat option was my mom's idea, since she rode in the back of a different vehicle on a trip to visit us. It is a great option. The third row seat doesn't get used much, but came in handy when we had extra "guests" to drive home after attending a New Year's Eve party one year. It is also great for driving large groups of visiting friends and family around the town for site-seeing. Our Durango has been and still is an awesome vehicle. We love it."

Great performance, looks good inside, and out!

By on Wednesday, July 16, 2014

"Overall very good suv!"

It might be an older vehicle but it is sturdy

By on Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Pros: "V8 Magnum says it all"

"I am the second owner of this vehicle, it has been an amazing purchase. Every now and then it has a minor breakdown but nothing serious. This vehicle has stood the test of time and is still going. I love my Mean Bean!!!"

Absolute Monster, one of Chrysler's best suv's!!!

By on Monday, June 16, 2014

Pros: "That 5.9 engine sound, and outstanding reliability"

Cons: "Nothing!"

"I'm the owner of a 2001 Durango R/T 5.9 and let me tell you this truck is a monster! I bought it 3 yrs ago with 142k and all I've done to it is brakes, and oil change in those two yrs nothing major at all. In these harsh Chicago winters it turned on smooth every -0 day or night and went thru snow like nothing thanks to its powerful 5.9 and AWD. Since then I put a exhaust system on this bad boy and let me tell y'all.....This beast sounds like it has a 454 big block under the hood!!! It just roars like a lion when you hit on that gas, this truck is an absolute rebel! In all reality, the spec rated 250 hp I think is really underrated by the way this beast roars on idle and on pick up. I think it has atleast 290 or 300 hp. I've seen 2013's and 14's with catback exhaust systems and they just don't even come close to sounding like this 1st gen Durango. I change the oil with pennzoil Ultra and let me tell you, this thing runs as smooth as a 2014 no lie, it loves this synthetic. Anyways if anyone is thinking about buying one....GET IT, you will not be dissapointed. Its super reliable, dependable, fun to drive, and just plain nasty!!!"

I love this truck! Best vehicle I've ever owned!

By on Friday, May 30, 2014

Pros: "extremely reliable. outstanding 4wd performance."

Cons: "uneven temperature. frightening low gas mileage."

"I bought my 2003 Durango used in 2005, only one previous owner. This is the best vehicle I've ever owned. Always feel safe driving it in any weather or road conditions. This truck is a beast. I've had tons of people ask me to come get them or to drive them somewhere during snowstorms. I've even had male co-workers ask me for rides home after terrible snowstorms because my truck is better in snow than anything anyone else owns lol. I love the power it has, it's a fast truck. I'm sad that this was the last year for this body style. If they still made them in this design I'd buy another in a second. Only downsides are low fuel mileage but it is a v8. And the temperature is always uneven, heat and a/c. The driver side is colder than the passenger and there's not really a perfect setting to use so you're always adjusting it as you go. But they're minor compared to how great this truck is :)"

This vehicle is a dark purple metalic. Needs tlc

By on Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Pros: "lots of room, comfortable"

Cons: "not good on gas"

"great vehicle."

i have owned this vehicle for 2 years

By on Saturday, April 26, 2014

Pros: "great ride. comforable to driv long distances"

Cons: "really bad on gas"

"I bought this vehicle from my dad 2 years ago for 1200. it currently has 202000 miles. original engine and transmission numbers matching. no engine light or any other lights on in the dash board. no major work has been done to it. go right through mud and snow."

good reliable vehicle, drives good

By on Friday, April 25, 2014

Pros: "runs good, reliable, third row seating"

Cons: "no mirror on the passanger side"

"Good vehicle, Drives good, good if you havev a family. Has third row seating."

Too many repairs since purchasing .

By on Sunday, March 30, 2014

Pros: "It drives well"

Cons: "Too many repairs as of late"

"It was a good running vehicle , lots of repairs have been made but it seems every time I fix one thing something else goes wrong . At the moment the Truck is sitting in my Garage , it still runs but when I drove it last time the entire front end was shaking quite badly , so it sits there . I'm still trying to decide if it's worth repairing or should I just junk it ?"

Thumbs up on this vehicle !

By on Saturday, March 22, 2014

Pros: "Very peppy for a largish sports utility vehicle ."

Cons: "Nothing bad to write about this thing at all ."

"This is my second durango and i was happy with my first . Learned with my first that they like gasoline quite a bit so quite simply i recommend a K&N cold air kit because it IS worth the money and a set of as equal length as you can find for headers . The ones i found on ebay are not tuned but are equal length and the filter gained me 1.5 and the headers closer to 2 mpg but in the end i only get maybe high 12's city but for the power gain it is well worth it . It is a 5.2 and at times i see close to 14.5 but those time are few and i only use shell fuel . Yes it is four wheel drive and in snow i see high 10.? ."

Great old school SUV

By on Sunday, March 16, 2014

"I bought it 2 years ago with 129K. I have had a few problems with the A/C, front axle, brakes and radiator. Nothing expensive has failed. The R/T version of the 5.9 is rock solid dependable as is the transmission. Performance is very good, but economy isn't. In town is about 10 mpg. I use it for towing where my daily vehicles are not suitable. Works very well in this capacity."