2001 Dodge Durango

8.1

Based on 958 Ratings for the 1998 - 2003 models.

bought new best car i ever owned 4.7 motor very ef

By on Friday, February 17, 2012

Pros: "if i found a low milage 2000 i would buy it, great"

"never a problem in 12 years as good as 19 mpg. on highway"

Great idea, not so great follow through

By on Sunday, January 22, 2012

Pros: "relatively low purchase price, intuitive layout"

Cons: "low mpg, wide A-pillars, computer issues"

"The 1999 Durango seems great on the surface, but there are some issues underneath. The good: It is a good size being larger than a FourRunner or Cherokee and smaller than a Suburban or Tahoe. The interior design is nice with three row seating, generous cup holders, and an intuitive layout. The third row seat disappears leaving a large, flat load area. There is plenty of power from the 5.9l V8. The transfer case has worked flawlessly. The weight balance is good -- the Durango can go places in 2WD that required 4WD from a previously owned Tacoma. The bad: It gets terrible gas mileage. A buddy's Suburban, which is much larger, gets 4-5 mpg better than the Durango no matter what we are doing. The engine control computer is likely to fail. If you get a "no bus" error message, check the computer. Make sure you turn off the OD when towing heavy loads or you will burn up the OD and have to rebuild the transmission. The A pillars are very wide resulting in a rather large forward blind spots, especially on the drivers side. All things considered, it hasn't been bad but it hasn't been great either. If it got better gas mileage, my feelings might be a little different, but if I had it to do over again, I would have bought a Tahoe or Suburban or Yukon."

Great drivability, I enjoy the manual transfercase

By on Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Pros: "Safe and fun to drive"

"I've replaced tires and a battery and fuel pump, All vary common wear and tear items. and this has been a fun vehical to drive. I feel safe for myself and my children. Great SUV."

Reliable Family Car

By on Saturday, October 15, 2011

Pros: "Powerful engine. Reliable."

Cons: "Eats gas"

"Purchased my 2001 Dodge Durango in 2002. Had 30000 miles on it. Now Im on 180,000 miles and never had any problems with it. Kept the simple maintenance and it still very powerful and reliable. Never had any major maintenance issues with it. Great family car. The interior held up pretty good with 3 kids in it. A lot of room on the back for groceries. It does eat gas which is understandable because of the 8 cylinder engine. Overall...thsi has been the most reliable family car I've ever had. 180,000 miles later and I still love it."

great suv

By on Tuesday, January 26, 2010

"i bought mine used a year ago with 204,000 miles on it. and i now it has 233,000 on it in the year i have had it. all i have had to do to it since i bought it , has been to replace the original alternator and new tires besides the normal maintenance. i'm the third owner of the truck. will be replacing it with another one when i wear this one out."

Good SUV

By on Tuesday, September 23, 2008

"I bought this SUV used with 90,000 miles on it. It is a 2001 SLT 5.9 4x4. For the engine size/4x4 status/towing it did fair with MPG. I was getting 12/15 until I did a full tuneup, K&N air filter, New Monroe Sensitrac shocks, Tornado for air intake. Then I was getting 16.9-18 mpg on the highway. 13 in the city. I have a job that requires me to travel, towing a 18 ft travel trailer for living while on the road, needing 4x4 for snow and living in elevation. Travel nursing has its benefits. I bought this in TN, took it to Texas for 2 months, Arizona 6 months, Colorado 2 months, NM 3 months. I have put 28,000 miles on it now, about $1000 in maintenance/parts that I replaced myself. It has enough power to tow without a problem (7,500lbs). Trailer was 3,000 lbs so I did not even know it was back there most of the time. Had a problem with water heater, replaced it. I tyically drive 85 mph on highway and while towing 70mph. While towing on the highway I got 13 mpg. Its a good little SUV, but with gas prices going from $4.50 per gallon its time to get something more efficient but with all the great qualities. Xterra has grabbed my attention off road version. All and all its a good little SUV, but you have to sacrifice the MPG for the big V8. I thought a bigger trailer was in my future so that is why I bought this car. My 2 cents. Hope it helps."

By on Friday, February 15, 2008

"'03 bought new to tow 25' travel trrailer, 4.7 v8 w/ low tourque had all the power needed, now it tows my boat in and out of steep boat launches, no problems. love the performance and power. Complaints: 15 MPG, and the back seat is uncomfortable for adults on trips and on 2nd set of brakes and rotors in less than 40k"

Right SUV for the Right Price

By on Thursday, January 17, 2008

"As a mom of 2 I love this SUV. It is high up but not so high I feel like I need a step ladder to get in. I feel safe knowing my boys are up higher than a sedan or even a van. It has AC in the rear which is awesome for my kids and the 3rd row is easy put up or down, even for me. When the 3rd row is down I have tons of space for strollers, blankets and whatever else I toss back there. I have had NO mechanical problems and it has never even sputtered or acted like it was going to breakdown which is HUGE with me. The last thing I want is to be stuck on the side of the road with two kids waiting for a tow truck. The best thing about this SUV is that we have a boat and this puppy can tow like it is nothing. We can all sit comfortably, run the AC and tow our boat and it does not hurt our gas milage to tow either. Good safe ride that my husband likes to drive also."

One tough Suv

By on Thursday, January 17, 2008

"load the kids up, all your stuff, and pull the boat with power left to pass.. I would highly recommend this little truck. i have the 4x4 with the 5.9. and the third row seat really comes in handy. easy to maintain parts are cheap. i cannot believe how well this truck has held up it still looks and drives like when i bought it. very happy consumer."

Solid Vehicle

By on Thursday, October 11, 2007

"Engine and Tansmission have been very reliable. The brakes work fine but are undersized for the vehicle's weight, so stopping distance is longer than desireable. Paint and hardware have stayed up fine, but are showing signs of rust after 9 winters in the Northeast and a seaside garage. The parts that have been replaced would be the normal suspects: bearings, bushings and ball joints. After 150K miles it still runs great."

It can wheel! 2003 SLT+

By on Tuesday, August 07, 2007

"I've rock crawled it, climbed steep trails in it, tromped through deep snow, towed cars and boats, drove it 100 mph, bought it new and have had not one problem. 97000 miles and runs like new."

Dependable

By on Saturday, July 14, 2007

"Purchased my 2001 Durango from the dealer and had 8,000 miles on it. Manager had been driving it. In the 6 years I've had it, only spent $1400 in repairs, plus normal oil changes and routine maintenance work. MPG has remained consistent the entire time I've owned it. It's a keeper and it comes highly recommended by me."

good drivingi

By on Monday, August 25, 2014

I want this car

"Is a very reliable and comfortable riding vehecle"

It might be an older vehicle but it is sturdy

By on Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Pros: "V8 Magnum says it all"

"I am the second owner of this vehicle, it has been an amazing purchase. Every now and then it has a minor breakdown but nothing serious. This vehicle has stood the test of time and is still going. I love my Mean Bean!!!"

GREAT VEHICLE

By on Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Pros: "ENJOYED MY RIDE"

"BOUGHT USED WAS A GREAT BUY ENJOYED LOOKS AND STYLE ,OVERALL I ENJOYED MY DURANGO VERY MUCH AND WOULD RECOMMEND IT TO ANYONE"

if gas is not a problem buy a durango 98-03 5.9

By on Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Pros: "great car, very reliable, seat 8,6 comfortable"

Cons: "drinks gas like an alcoholic"

"my first car i bought was 2000 dodge durango 5.9 didn't wont to because its not that flashy but it they will last forever if you ask me. driven 100,000 mile with no major problems, I've only spent under 1000 in D.I.Y repairs and maintenance. I've owned the car for just over 2 years, and its fills good to say i own a durango instead of have a used car that at 100,000 miles you would've already replace engine or transmission. So like i said if its no problem buying gas buy a durango 5.9 98-03 trust me you wont regret it."

GREAT FOR SHORT TRIPS

By on Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Pros: "fast"

Cons: "gas"

"I bought this car in around April and it was great i am a fire fighter so it was nice with the extra room for my gear the truck is very comfortable and nice to drive radio is always clear and the controls are easy....how ever i have to say mine with the 5.9 is a tank it is not an offroad vehicle it is wayyy to heavy and the air intake is in the fender so it will suck water the gas miliage sucks so bad i average around 9 miles city and 14 on the freeway the truck is very bad on gas so if you are a student looking for a nice good on gas suv do away its not your truck but if you dont mind putting 76 bucks per tank which only gives you 250 miles go for it"

Served us well over the last 10 years..tired now

By on Thursday, July 25, 2013

Pros: "Plenty of room, great in snow, solid machine"

Cons: "gas eater, not a lot of power"

"Truck was not the beast that our 1998 was as it was on a smaller frame and smaller engine but served us well for 10 years with minor issues until the last year..Its tired now and needs to be put to rest."

I love the vehicle.It meets all of my needs .

By on Monday, March 25, 2013

Pros: "It is fun to drive and very reliable."

Cons: "I wish the mileage was better."

"I love the vehicle.It meets all of my needs and expectations.I would highly recommend to a family member or friend. My Durango is very reliable."

I love my Durango!

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pros: "Comfortable, handles well, responsive, reliable"

Cons: "Gas mileage"

"I own a 2002 Durango with 115,000 miles and although my husband says I should probably get a newer vehicle, I really don't need to or want to! This vehicle is still very reliable; I hardly ever take it to the shop. It's comfortable; I love the way the seats hug my body. It drives great and handles well. It's the perfect size; I don't feel like I'm driving a tank but yet it's roomy enough to fit anything I need to put in it. My only complaint is the gas mileage. You will definitely have a higher gas bill driving this thing. I typically get 13-15 mpg."

Best Vehicle ever - Separation Anixety

By on Saturday, November 26, 2011

Pros: "performance, price, dependability"

Cons: "gas mileage,"

"I purchased my durango '99 (with hips) for my bday in 1999 new with 11 miles on it. Today we have 186,125 expensive miles. She has performed extremely well in the Northeast inclement weather, open road travel, and sporting (hurting and fishing)trips. Seating and load capacity were favorable. Only problem, she loves to drink, and with gas prices in America. I'm having separation anixeties now since my wife thinks its time to put her to rest."

A very dependable car. great gas mileage

By on Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Pros: "gas mileage is great, drive smoothly, dependable"

Cons: "None that I can think of"

"I have kept up on all of the maintance. I have never had any issues with this vehicle. I love the interior it's leather, it's very comfortable. I have had great mileage with it a V-8 engine and has some get up and go power as well. I have had many people tell me they loved the ride it gives, and I also agree it is a very smooth, safe and comfortable car."

Wish they still had this body style

By on Monday, August 30, 2010

"I love my durango it has a 184000 miles on it and she is still running strong. Only had to replace wheel hubs and ball joints. Just keep up on the preventive maintenace and your good."

2002 Durango - bought brand new

By on Wednesday, May 26, 2010

"I bought my 2002 "Dingo" in the fall of 2001. After I got done test driving her, she had a whopping 10 miles on her. LOVED IT! Hit a monster buck in it before the first payment - let me tell you - I did not feel a thing - although I did have to put her in the shop. My kids (in the backseat) and I were perfectly safe! "She" now has 170,000 miles, starts everytime I crank her over. No sputtering, no problems. The only work I've done - standard oil/air filter changes, brakes, tires, new rotors (I'm old I'm hard on brakes :).). That's it. She just keeps going. Fantastically comfortable on trips. I LOVE MY DINGO."

By on Thursday, February 04, 2010

"This vehicle has been wonderful to me I travel a lot with my 3 year old and have not had a problem with this SUV in 4 yrs. Just recently the heater and air are giving me difficulty but considering the vehicle was used when i purchased it and has not had anyother problems i'm blessed to have purchased a Dodge Durango."