2000 Dodge Durango

8.1

Based on 936 Ratings for the 1998 - 2003 models.

1998 Durango*****

By on Friday, January 03, 2014

Pros: "love the car"

Cons: "I think resale is underrated."

"We bought this car new in 1998, and have driven it over 216m miles as you can see. We had regular service and have had no problems outside of tires and battery. I did have to replace the water pump at about 198M Lots of highway miles. Driven in hill country and snow. I have never been sorry I bought this car."

Great 4X4

By on Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, Great tow rig, good MPG."

Cons: "Could use a little more leg room in the 3rd row."

"I use my Durango SLT Plus 4.7 mostly as a car hauler and it is amazing for its size. I replaced a Ford F150 4X4 extended cab pickup with the Durango and the Durango's towing ability is night and day better than the F150. I get 18+ MPG on the highway empty and 12+ towing 5000+ pounds. My F150 with the 302 and 5 speed never got better than 14 empty and 10 towing. In 111K miles the Durango has needed nothing but brakes and oil changes plus one fan clutch. It is the SLT plus so has all the options and is a very comfortable traveling rig. When it is cold (below 0) it starts just like it is warm outside so no mater the weather I know the Durango will start and take me where I need to go."

A wonderful family rig with tons of power!

By on Thursday, December 05, 2013

Pros: "This is a tank that drives like a sports car."

Cons: "child size third row seats"

"Very nice suv I love it 2000 with full time 4wd also 4 hi and 4 lo with the 5.9l excellent truck."

My all-time favorite!

By on Wednesday, December 04, 2013

Pros: "Great pulling power, few repairs."

Cons: "Only the front seats are comfy for on a long haul."

"This brute has the very potent 5.9. I have pulled travel trailers and car trailers cross-continent. I've pulled small equipment and livestock locally. This SUV is a truck and has done it all. The leather has held up great and the vehicle still looks top notch. With 142K miles it has required no engine work. The tranny acts like it needs a new O2 sensor. The biggest expense has been replacing the heater core twice. I've been very pleased with this all purpose vehicle."

had since new, love it

By on Friday, November 08, 2013

"Bought new right out of show room. Raised my kids in it.Taught all 3 kids to drive in it. Ihave owned many vehicles,love this the most.It is my baby.Looks almost new.Cannot bear to trade it in,only complaint is horrible gas mileage.May keep it longer or till it dies."

My MPG is very good with the 4.7 . 18 city 25 hyw

By on Friday, October 25, 2013

"TUFF TRUCK and good MPG"

Best SUV Ever Owned!!

By on Monday, September 30, 2013

Pros: "Powerful!!! Hauls anything with 3 row seat/laydown"

Cons: "With any large engine car, it takes gas."

"After all of the SUV's and Trucks I have owned, I have enjoyed this particular SUV. I purchased this car used from the original owner at a dealership. Having driven other Durangos in test drives, I was fortunate to find one that was all leather and smooth riding. It is an awesome SUV to drive, especially in the winter and the bonus of pulling a boat and using in the snow has been tremendously helpful. It will pull just about anything."

Fun to drive, but expensive to own

By on Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable ride, plenty of power"

Cons: "Poor mileage, and expensive to maintain"

"I've replaced every circuit board and electronic sensor except the Power Distribution Center, between 90,000 and 150,000 miles. I've replaced wheel bearings, the rack & pinion, and all the brake rotors (twice). The engine and tranny are hummin' along with nary a complaint, but I'm on my 4th Cam Position Sensor, my second Crankshaft Position Sensor, and I still get intermitted fault codes saying they're not functioning properly...Next time, I'll buy a Honda."

256,456 miles and still running excellent

By on Sunday, August 11, 2013

Pros: "Looks, ride, and ride height, power"

Cons: "Gas mileage"

Shes beautiful. Her nickname is reba......

"I own an Slt plus 4x4, the four wheel drive is excellent I have never gotten stuck, the ac is ice cold, i have only replaced shocks, struts, brakes, tires, wiper blades, drive belt, and one pulley.... My leather still looks brand new This is the best car ive ever owned"

Shes beautiful. Her nickname is reba......

Great truck

By on Friday, August 09, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "Mpg"

"It is at 201,121 miles and still going through my abusive driving. A couple of issues come up but it it is still really good. With big 5.9 motor there is so much power. Ride is smooth and comfortable with plenty of room. Stronger than my Chevy silverado in terms of power."

I am attached to my car!

By on Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Pros: "Strong engine and comfortable leather interior!"

Cons: "always repairing something each year"

"I bought at 100,000 miles and it had many repairing required. But after a few fixes, it's been good to me and my family. I first had glycol leaks, coolant problems, battery replacement and now the air condition is out so as the heating knob on HIGH turns off. I am getting it fixed again for that reason plus check up on the transmission and on the alignment and power steering. It's the first time for a tune up with the actual dealer and they want my car for a trade in. Should I consider a trade or keep it?"

GREAT FOR SHORT TRIPS

By on Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Pros: "fast"

Cons: "gas"

"I bought this car in around April and it was great i am a fire fighter so it was nice with the extra room for my gear the truck is very comfortable and nice to drive radio is always clear and the controls are easy....how ever i have to say mine with the 5.9 is a tank it is not an offroad vehicle it is wayyy to heavy and the air intake is in the fender so it will suck water the gas miliage sucks so bad i average around 9 miles city and 14 on the freeway the truck is very bad on gas so if you are a student looking for a nice good on gas suv do away its not your truck but if you dont mind putting 76 bucks per tank which only gives you 250 miles go for it"

Very strong vehicle

By on Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Pros: "Fast spacious powerful 4wd 7 seats and much more"

Cons: "Mpg around 12 and some expensive servicing."

"Fast and powerful with 5.9 motor and gets ok mpg. Few problems."

junk vehicle

By on Thursday, July 25, 2013

Pros: "good in snow"

Cons: "seats uncomfortable. wiring nightmare,high repair"

"bought off used lot with 120,000 miles on it. in first 2 months we replaced the pcm over 1000 at dealer. 500 in brakes. abs still dont work always. 200 starter. couple sensors. had power drain from something 2 different shops didnt find the cause. finally put battery cut off in it. seats are uncomfortable. even my kids hate the rear seats. we had a suburban they loved the seats. transmission is starting to slip. will need replaced soon. only positive is its awsome in snow. has the hemi in it. and 4x4."

Served us well over the last 10 years..tired now

By on Thursday, July 25, 2013

Pros: "Plenty of room, great in snow, solid machine"

Cons: "gas eater, not a lot of power"

"Truck was not the beast that our 1998 was as it was on a smaller frame and smaller engine but served us well for 10 years with minor issues until the last year..Its tired now and needs to be put to rest."

Bestest Car in the World

By on Monday, July 08, 2013

Pros: "sturdy, safe, roomy, attractive, reliable"

"I have had my Durango for 13 years, bought right off the lot. I never keep things, I'm always onto the newest thing, leaving the old things behind. This car is so wonderful and perfect, I have it still. It is sturdy, tall, big but amazingly compact at the same time, feels like high quality materials (not cheap materials) were used to build it, strong (can pull anything and get you unstuck easily), and is extremely safe for my beautiful kiddos and dog to ride in. I have hit a moose in Alaska and we felt nothing (killed the moose). I have hit a deer in Missouri going 65...felt just a bump! Damage to the front each time...yes...damage to myself and my kids...nothing! We are travelers and have gone all over the United States in this car...you can live in it because it is so roomy, and you can move a TON of things at once in it! If only other things in life were built for any and all purposes and to last like the 2002 Dodge Durango!!! Sigh..."

Bought it Brand New And Still LOVE it! Best Ever!!

By on Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Pros: "Height, 4WD, 3rd row seating, Comfortable to drive"

Cons: "Nothing at all! I LOVE this truck! (SUV)"

"I have owned this Durango since it was Brand New. It has never failed me! 13 years and it is still my favorite ride ever! It has height, it is sturdy, it goes through everything! I have had to put very little money into it. Maintenance is simple. My kids and their friends all fit inside with the 3rd row seating. Driven across the country and back with no issues at all. This vehicle is Very Fast!!! It's the smaller engine of the V8's and it was getting Fabulous Gas Mileage compared to any other "truck" I have owned. This SUV is definitely a Mothers Best Friend! It has adjustable height drivers seat, lumbar adjustment, tilts up/down at knees for comfort. Big tow package mirrors for a better side/rear visual. Has the navigation box above that shows the direction of travel you are facing, the time, the miles traveled, the amount of time traveled, and the temperature outside. The motor purrs even after 178K miles! Considering it's a 4x4 it rides like a car! Not bouncy and uncomfortable. I have back injuries and this vehicle is the easiest ride for this as it is the only one that does NOT hurt me to drive. Center seat has a drop down center console with cup holders for the passengers. Seats flip forward for hauling big items in back. Packed 6 people in to travel to CA and back comfortably, with luggage. I cannot imagine trying this is a mini van even! We had height and stability for driving thru the mountainous areas in Colorado. A very Fun vehicle to own! I have tried newer models and I was not as impressed. I will drive this til' it drops! And then probably replace whatever breaks to continue driving it! :)"

Wouldn't own another one

By on Monday, May 20, 2013

Pros: "great power, heated seats, dual A/C, 3rd row seats"

Cons: "gas mileage, transmission issues"

"I bought this truck in Jan 2011 with 134k miles. I got it from a dealer in North Carolina where I was stationed, my wife wanted a 3rd row SUV. I went with the smaller 4.7 motor thinking gas mileage would be better, that was a bad call. On a good day in town we might get 12, on the highway maybe 16. The 4.7 is a great motor, it has awesome power. The truck is 4wd and it works flawlessly, it also has a towing package and has pulled a 6x12 u-haul trailer from NC to western TN, and the truck did great. The air conditioning (dual air) works great on hot summer days. We have made numerous trips in it, from TN to OK a few times. The heated seats are probably my favorite item on this truck. The only time the truck didn't move was due to transmission input and output sensors, and when the crank sensor went out. The transmission itself has had issues from 1st day of ownership, but we have babied it along. My wife tells me today there's something crazy with ABS and noise (I suspect hubs are about shot). All in all in a little over 2 years ownership, it has been a good truck, it has done everything I've asked it to do, but it is time to put it out to pasture and shoot it. I wouldn't buy another one, but if you need 3rd row seating (you can seat 7 comfortably) and don't mind passing everything BUT a gas station the Durango will work for you."

Best ride I've ever owned

By on Friday, May 10, 2013

"My Durango has 263,000. miles. Bought it in '01 with 66,000. rebuilt the transmission at 114,000 in '04. It is truly the best ride I've ever owned. It has NEVER failed to get me through the the snow we have here in Wisconsin. Never been stuck with it. Still rides like a dream. I keep it solely for winter driving now. The air went out 3 years ago. It was a 1700. estimate to replace a 165.00 part by going through the dash. With 250,000 miles I didn't spend the $$. I 'save' it solely for winter driving. I feel safe in it and would buy another in a heart beat! It is rusting pretty good around the wheel wells and back gate. Thats a bummer, but man...what a ride. I LOVE my durango."

a dud

By on Monday, April 29, 2013

Pros: "spacious"

Cons: "gass gusular, everything falls apart in time"

"bought this car 3 years ago for a little over 9000. The only thing I like about the car is that is very spacious, other then that. It is a total dud! I can not tell you how much money I have put into this car. It is one thing after another, and go figure now 3 years later the car is only worth 3-4000 at the most..The car is extremely loud and annoying and so bulky.I can not wait till we get rid of this annoying car."

Great Red never let me down

By on Sunday, April 28, 2013

Pros: "It was a great safe tank!"

Cons: "Low gas milege"

"Original owner of my Big Red Durango. It has hauled around our family as well as many school children on field trips and such. I do keep proper maint on my vehicles. With basic maint this car is on its original motor and a rebuilt trany. Value well it still runs and air works. The upholstery is still perfect except in one small seam that i stitched up."

I absolutly love my Durango it runs great

By on Thursday, April 25, 2013

Pros: "Love Driving my Durango"

Cons: "They rest out very quickly"

"I would recomend anyone looking for a mid sized SUV to look into buying and purchasing a new Durango they handle great runs great and are almost unstopable"

Class, power, reliability all in one

By on Sunday, April 14, 2013

"I have really enjoyed this Durango for so many reasons. Black exterior with Premium 17" wheels, and plenty of tread left on the tires. It only has approx. 136,000 miles. The leather buckets are Black and Gray in nice shape. So comfortable and easy to drive. Plenty of power with the 5.9 Liter motor when you need it and rides like a caddy at Freeway speeds especially. Has a third seat for more passengers, and plenty of rear cargo space. The tow package is a great convenience as it will easily pull anything you could want. And really, the bottom line is this vehicle is well kept and maintained in great condition. Nothing wrong with it at all. It's really all one could ask for in a 10 year young Durango. Many many good miles left on this gem."

spacious, great utlility veh. awesome in snow

By on Wednesday, April 10, 2013

"lots of space, fold down seats and back seat fit tons of cargo or dogs. good for lots of kids, ok for 3 couples but small people in the very back. holds 7 rides smooth, goes great when you push the gas, we have the 8 cyl, but your mileage isnt good, maybe 15, but we dont do much city driving. good vehicle"

I love the vehicle.It meets all of my needs .

By on Monday, March 25, 2013

Pros: "It is fun to drive and very reliable."

Cons: "I wish the mileage was better."

"I love the vehicle.It meets all of my needs and expectations.I would highly recommend to a family member or friend. My Durango is very reliable."