1998 Dodge Durango

8.1

Based on 976 Ratings for the 1998 - 2003 models.

Good SUV

By on Tuesday, September 23, 2008

"I bought this SUV used with 90,000 miles on it. It is a 2001 SLT 5.9 4x4. For the engine size/4x4 status/towing it did fair with MPG. I was getting 12/15 until I did a full tuneup, K&N air filter, New Monroe Sensitrac shocks, Tornado for air intake. Then I was getting 16.9-18 mpg on the highway. 13 in the city. I have a job that requires me to travel, towing a 18 ft travel trailer for living while on the road, needing 4x4 for snow and living in elevation. Travel nursing has its benefits. I bought this in TN, took it to Texas for 2 months, Arizona 6 months, Colorado 2 months, NM 3 months. I have put 28,000 miles on it now, about $1000 in maintenance/parts that I replaced myself. It has enough power to tow without a problem (7,500lbs). Trailer was 3,000 lbs so I did not even know it was back there most of the time. Had a problem with water heater, replaced it. I tyically drive 85 mph on highway and while towing 70mph. While towing on the highway I got 13 mpg. Its a good little SUV, but with gas prices going from $4.50 per gallon its time to get something more efficient but with all the great qualities. Xterra has grabbed my attention off road version. All and all its a good little SUV, but you have to sacrifice the MPG for the big V8. I thought a bigger trailer was in my future so that is why I bought this car. My 2 cents. Hope it helps."

Right SUV for the Right Price

By on Thursday, January 17, 2008

"As a mom of 2 I love this SUV. It is high up but not so high I feel like I need a step ladder to get in. I feel safe knowing my boys are up higher than a sedan or even a van. It has AC in the rear which is awesome for my kids and the 3rd row is easy put up or down, even for me. When the 3rd row is down I have tons of space for strollers, blankets and whatever else I toss back there. I have had NO mechanical problems and it has never even sputtered or acted like it was going to breakdown which is HUGE with me. The last thing I want is to be stuck on the side of the road with two kids waiting for a tow truck. The best thing about this SUV is that we have a boat and this puppy can tow like it is nothing. We can all sit comfortably, run the AC and tow our boat and it does not hurt our gas milage to tow either. Good safe ride that my husband likes to drive also."

It can wheel! 2003 SLT+

By on Tuesday, August 7, 2007

"I've rock crawled it, climbed steep trails in it, tromped through deep snow, towed cars and boats, drove it 100 mph, bought it new and have had not one problem. 97000 miles and runs like new."

bandcampchamp

By on Saturday, July 21, 2007

"I purchased my durango used with 90,000 miles on it to use to haul equipment for my band obsidian's dream. This thing has more room than thought... can fit drums, 4 amps, 2 p.a speakers, stands and more with middle seat down... have 170,000 miles on it and it is still without problem, handles great in snow, would recomend it to anyone.. thanx dodge for a great road vehicle for my band... duff"

Great Red never let me down

By on Sunday, April 28, 2013

Pros: "It was a great safe tank!"

Cons: "Low gas milege"

"Original owner of my Big Red Durango. It has hauled around our family as well as many school children on field trips and such. I do keep proper maint on my vehicles. With basic maint this car is on its original motor and a rebuilt trany. Value well it still runs and air works. The upholstery is still perfect except in one small seam that i stitched up."