1998 Dodge Durango

8.1

Based on 946 Ratings for the 1998 - 2003 models.

Bestest Car in the World

By on Monday, July 08, 2013

Pros: "sturdy, safe, roomy, attractive, reliable"

"I have had my Durango for 13 years, bought right off the lot. I never keep things, I'm always onto the newest thing, leaving the old things behind. This car is so wonderful and perfect, I have it still. It is sturdy, tall, big but amazingly compact at the same time, feels like high quality materials (not cheap materials) were used to build it, strong (can pull anything and get you unstuck easily), and is extremely safe for my beautiful kiddos and dog to ride in. I have hit a moose in Alaska and we felt nothing (killed the moose). I have hit a deer in Missouri going 65...felt just a bump! Damage to the front each time...yes...damage to myself and my kids...nothing! We are travelers and have gone all over the United States in this car...you can live in it because it is so roomy, and you can move a TON of things at once in it! If only other things in life were built for any and all purposes and to last like the 2002 Dodge Durango!!! Sigh..."

Bought it Brand New And Still LOVE it! Best Ever!!

By on Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Pros: "Height, 4WD, 3rd row seating, Comfortable to drive"

Cons: "Nothing at all! I LOVE this truck! (SUV)"

"I have owned this Durango since it was Brand New. It has never failed me! 13 years and it is still my favorite ride ever! It has height, it is sturdy, it goes through everything! I have had to put very little money into it. Maintenance is simple. My kids and their friends all fit inside with the 3rd row seating. Driven across the country and back with no issues at all. This vehicle is Very Fast!!! It's the smaller engine of the V8's and it was getting Fabulous Gas Mileage compared to any other "truck" I have owned. This SUV is definitely a Mothers Best Friend! It has adjustable height drivers seat, lumbar adjustment, tilts up/down at knees for comfort. Big tow package mirrors for a better side/rear visual. Has the navigation box above that shows the direction of travel you are facing, the time, the miles traveled, the amount of time traveled, and the temperature outside. The motor purrs even after 178K miles! Considering it's a 4x4 it rides like a car! Not bouncy and uncomfortable. I have back injuries and this vehicle is the easiest ride for this as it is the only one that does NOT hurt me to drive. Center seat has a drop down center console with cup holders for the passengers. Seats flip forward for hauling big items in back. Packed 6 people in to travel to CA and back comfortably, with luggage. I cannot imagine trying this is a mini van even! We had height and stability for driving thru the mountainous areas in Colorado. A very Fun vehicle to own! I have tried newer models and I was not as impressed. I will drive this til' it drops! And then probably replace whatever breaks to continue driving it! :)"

Wouldn't own another one

By on Monday, May 20, 2013

Pros: "great power, heated seats, dual A/C, 3rd row seats"

Cons: "gas mileage, transmission issues"

"I bought this truck in Jan 2011 with 134k miles. I got it from a dealer in North Carolina where I was stationed, my wife wanted a 3rd row SUV. I went with the smaller 4.7 motor thinking gas mileage would be better, that was a bad call. On a good day in town we might get 12, on the highway maybe 16. The 4.7 is a great motor, it has awesome power. The truck is 4wd and it works flawlessly, it also has a towing package and has pulled a 6x12 u-haul trailer from NC to western TN, and the truck did great. The air conditioning (dual air) works great on hot summer days. We have made numerous trips in it, from TN to OK a few times. The heated seats are probably my favorite item on this truck. The only time the truck didn't move was due to transmission input and output sensors, and when the crank sensor went out. The transmission itself has had issues from 1st day of ownership, but we have babied it along. My wife tells me today there's something crazy with ABS and noise (I suspect hubs are about shot). All in all in a little over 2 years ownership, it has been a good truck, it has done everything I've asked it to do, but it is time to put it out to pasture and shoot it. I wouldn't buy another one, but if you need 3rd row seating (you can seat 7 comfortably) and don't mind passing everything BUT a gas station the Durango will work for you."

Best ride I've ever owned

By on Friday, May 10, 2013

"My Durango has 263,000. miles. Bought it in '01 with 66,000. rebuilt the transmission at 114,000 in '04. It is truly the best ride I've ever owned. It has NEVER failed to get me through the the snow we have here in Wisconsin. Never been stuck with it. Still rides like a dream. I keep it solely for winter driving now. The air went out 3 years ago. It was a 1700. estimate to replace a 165.00 part by going through the dash. With 250,000 miles I didn't spend the $$. I 'save' it solely for winter driving. I feel safe in it and would buy another in a heart beat! It is rusting pretty good around the wheel wells and back gate. Thats a bummer, but man...what a ride. I LOVE my durango."

a dud

By on Monday, April 29, 2013

Pros: "spacious"

Cons: "gass gusular, everything falls apart in time"

"bought this car 3 years ago for a little over 9000. The only thing I like about the car is that is very spacious, other then that. It is a total dud! I can not tell you how much money I have put into this car. It is one thing after another, and go figure now 3 years later the car is only worth 3-4000 at the most..The car is extremely loud and annoying and so bulky.I can not wait till we get rid of this annoying car."

Great Red never let me down

By on Sunday, April 28, 2013

Pros: "It was a great safe tank!"

Cons: "Low gas milege"

"Original owner of my Big Red Durango. It has hauled around our family as well as many school children on field trips and such. I do keep proper maint on my vehicles. With basic maint this car is on its original motor and a rebuilt trany. Value well it still runs and air works. The upholstery is still perfect except in one small seam that i stitched up."

I absolutly love my Durango it runs great

By on Thursday, April 25, 2013

Pros: "Love Driving my Durango"

Cons: "They rest out very quickly"

"I would recomend anyone looking for a mid sized SUV to look into buying and purchasing a new Durango they handle great runs great and are almost unstopable"

Class, power, reliability all in one

By on Sunday, April 14, 2013

"I have really enjoyed this Durango for so many reasons. Black exterior with Premium 17" wheels, and plenty of tread left on the tires. It only has approx. 136,000 miles. The leather buckets are Black and Gray in nice shape. So comfortable and easy to drive. Plenty of power with the 5.9 Liter motor when you need it and rides like a caddy at Freeway speeds especially. Has a third seat for more passengers, and plenty of rear cargo space. The tow package is a great convenience as it will easily pull anything you could want. And really, the bottom line is this vehicle is well kept and maintained in great condition. Nothing wrong with it at all. It's really all one could ask for in a 10 year young Durango. Many many good miles left on this gem."

spacious, great utlility veh. awesome in snow

By on Wednesday, April 10, 2013

"lots of space, fold down seats and back seat fit tons of cargo or dogs. good for lots of kids, ok for 3 couples but small people in the very back. holds 7 rides smooth, goes great when you push the gas, we have the 8 cyl, but your mileage isnt good, maybe 15, but we dont do much city driving. good vehicle"

I love the vehicle.It meets all of my needs .

By on Monday, March 25, 2013

Pros: "It is fun to drive and very reliable."

Cons: "I wish the mileage was better."

"I love the vehicle.It meets all of my needs and expectations.I would highly recommend to a family member or friend. My Durango is very reliable."

Great for the money

By on Friday, March 08, 2013

Pros: "Seats 8 people, tow capacity, looks great"

Cons: "fuel economy"

"I have owned by 2001 Durango for 3 years. It runs great and does not leak a drop of anything. Unfortunately, the undercarriage has severe rust because it originated from New York. The truck has always run great. It tows my pontoon boat with ease. The only negative is the gas mileage. I enjoy driving it and will be sad to see it go. My father in law has 300,000 miles on his."

Wonderfull 4X4

By on Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Pros: "everything except....."

Cons: "gas milage 15 around town, 20 hiway"

"Purchased new in late 03, have had no problems at all. Maintanince has been 3 sets of tires front roters and brakes and rear brake pads, thats it 167,000 miles and still looks great. Sticker was $37,000 paid $27,900 cant complian at all, blasts thru even NH winter snow and have never been stuck."

Wonderful Vehicle!!

By on Sunday, February 24, 2013

Pros: "This vehicle is great for all tasks you perform!"

Cons: "It does drink alot of gas..."

"I absolutely LOVE my '99 Durango! I'm a mom-on-the-go and this SUV is PERFECT!! My kids have dance, cheerleading, softball, volleyball, and 4H and on top of it all, I'm have to take other children with us a lot. It's great because there is plenty of room for everyone and their gear! Traveling is wonderful also because there are several power-ports so that no one is fighting over them and I still get to charge my stuff too! It drives like a car but performs like a truck. So I wouldn't trade mine for anything but a newer model!!"

I absolutley love my Durango... I am on my third!

By on Sunday, February 10, 2013

Pros: "Nice Ride, Fast, Decent MPG, Very Reliable. 4.7L"

Cons: "Owned 3, the 5.9L MPG and Trans would be cons."

Here is my new Maroon Durango

"I am on my 3rd first gen Durango, I think its safe to say I am obsessed. My first one was a beauty white AWD with the 4.7L - Very powerful and got 20+MPG on the interstate. Rode like a dream and never left me stranded ANYWHERE! I inherited that vehicle with 100K and I drove it to 190K, still drove like brand new, I cried when I sold it. I then bought a Maxima which wasnt all that it was hyped up to be. 9 months later I bought another Durango! Black with gold bottom trim, she was a beauty! The heated seats were so hot they could cook eggs! Beware tho! this one had the 5.9L, and yeah its a BIG V8, but it was not any faster than the previous 4.7L I had, and the 5.9 struggled to get 15mpg on the interstate. I drove the 2nd one from 149K to 185K with no issues what so ever, she never left me stranded either! My only gripe(s) with the 5.9L was the gas mileage, the transmission was not so good compared to the newer better ones that the 4.7L's come with.. and it did not ride as good as my first one. Now im on my third. She is a 2001 with the 4.7L, maroon with gold bottom trim, fully loaded! I am glad I came back to the 4.7L Bringing it back from the dealer I got 22MPG going 75mph, it was fantastic! These vehicles are so good in the snow and in off-roading conditions. Thus far all have easily cut through 2ft+ of snow and drive in the snow like they are on pavement."

My video

Here is my new Maroon Durango

Here is my Black one with the 5.9L that I sold for the 4.7L

Well Rounded Reliable Truck

By on Monday, February 04, 2013

Pros: "Soild as a rock, Reliability, Practicality"

Cons: "Gas mileage"

"Bought it with 110,000 miles 3 years ago now have 160,000. Cant be happier. The truck has done every thing i have ever asked and never left me stranded. I have had to replace most of the suspension components in the front end and a few coil packs but this would be typical of any newer vehicle over the 100,000 mile mark. Only other things are just routine maintenance. I am also super impressed with the very little amount of rust. there is 0 rust on the frame and the only rust on the body is on the lower part of the tailgate a common spot for these trucks. My Durango has tackled every challenge I have thrown at it. I have forged 2 feet of water in Hurricane Irene, driven through no joke snow up to the head lights with out getting stuck, gone through plenty of mud holes, Driven me and 6 other people on various occasions, moved my whole house, tows my 17' boat, and can cruse at 80 mph with no effort and still get 17-18 mpg. Some times I wish I had a pickup for more hauling practicality, and some times I wish I had a smaller car for when Im just driving to work and want better gas mileage. This is what makes the Durango perfect because it is big enough to be super practical and still small enough to actually parallel park with easy or make a u-turn in the street with out having to make a 8 point turn. If you just want all around good truck with good reliability and reasonable cost of ownership the Durango is perfect for you."

Ultimate Test Drive

By on Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Pros: "Ton of fun to operate!"

Cons: "Likes the go-go juice."

"The interior is put together like something that could be compared to a Cadillac. The ride is extremely smooth and comfortable. The drive-train is super sound with smooth shifting and acceleration. The leather is nice and soft, not fake feeling. The embroidered suede on the front seats is a nice touch. All controls easy to use and find. I have the 5.9L horse of an engine, so in town driving could be dicey if you have an extremely tight wallet. Overall... Superior vehicle in performance, style, and function."

Never had a vehicle that I have ran as many miles.

By on Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Pros: "Has never let me down..."

Cons: "Rear heat isn't the best."

"This Durango had had 77k on it when bought in 2003, now has 279k and still going. Drove to CO this fall and still got 18.5 mpg with 5.2L and 4x4. handles great! Never had major repairs until the cv on the front drive shaft failed at 265k and it took out the transfer case with the vibration. Otherwise, original battery was replaced at 177k, water pump at 210k, ball joints at 220k. Awesome and reliable vehicle. Used for daily driving with emergency responses on an average of 6 times a month as I am an EMT. Held up great so far."

Greatest vehicle I've ever purchased!

By on Thursday, December 27, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, durable, handles well, competitive $"

Cons: "needs more gadgets"

"The best purchase I've ever made in a vehicle. It's been tried & true for ten long years so far. It always gets the job done...Whether its transporting the family or furniture. It's simply the best!"

i love this car

By on Thursday, November 15, 2012

Pros: "very roomy and spacious"

Cons: "TERRABLE ON GAS"

"this 2003 dodge durango is the best running car i have ever owned i bought this car 2 years old with a little over 26,000 miles i now have 194,000 miles+ on this truck it has never let me down i do alot of driving with my truck we have gone on vacation with this car every year for the past 5 years and never a problem i fit everything in the car"

This is the best SUV I have ever owned!

By on Saturday, November 03, 2012

Pros: "Great price, great looks, lots of power."

Cons: "gas mileage but i can over look that"

just detailed!! :)

"i have owned this SUV since 2003. I own a 2001 SLT PLUS! i love it, it has good air conditioning, looks great and rides great, it has a lot of power. it is the best SUV ive ever known of! :)"

just detailed!! :)

Loved this car!

By on Sunday, October 14, 2012

Pros: "Reliable."

Cons: "Windows."

"I had this car for 10 years. I loved this SUV , ran great and towed heavy loads well. Comfortable to drive/ride in. Even tho it was big, it was easy for me to handle. Only issue I ever had was replacement of three windows. The little clip that held the window on the motor broke out of the blue. Dealer price to fix each window was $500. Luckily there were pre drilled bolt hole inside the door to set a bolt and it held the window up perfectly. I just sold my Durango last weekend and I must admit I cried. Like I said...I loved that car!!!!"

Love my durango

By on Tuesday, September 11, 2012

"I have owned my 2003 dodge durango with the 4.7L magnum for almost 4 years now. I have put my fair share of miles on it and it has never let me down. I absoultley love my durango. It never left me sitting on the side of the road and only have had to have do service on it. Its great to tow my trailer around when i go fourwheeling. you can fit seven people in it comfortabaly. Ive made a few upgrades to my durango to fix some issues i found. mostly the sound system as i replaced all four speakers and the head unit. they were just outdated for me. I tinted my windows for the purpose of blocking sun in the day because that bothered me. I added dual exhaust and a cold air intake for mainly the look and sound. the clean look of the cold air intake just adds that little bit. i changed the stock wheels put and put on new ones to add a better look. theres nothing wrong with the old ones. they held up good and still shine and clean up well. i kept them for the winner time. the paint has held up well and still shines good. even through the winters theres no rust from the salt except a little on one door. the only thing that i dislike and havent been able to change is the centerconsole. its cracked in a couple different places but it came like that. since ive had it the cracks havent gotten worse so i have no idea how they got there."

I love this truck!

By on Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Pros: "Power, looks, dependability"

Cons: "mpg"

"I bought my Durango used from a retired couple last fall. When I purchased it they gave me all the receipts and a maintenace log. I new it was well taken care of. I bought this truck to get thru the tough Northern Michigan winters. I quickly fell in love with it. The power and the way it cuts thru the snow is great. It is well worth the 12 mpg I get in it. I would recommend this SUV to anyone."

Great Vehicle

By on Thursday, July 19, 2012

Pros: "Power, comfort, towing."

Cons: "MPG"

"I have had this vehicle for almost 7 years now and I love all the dynamics of it. I have not had any major problems with the powertrain but the ball joints are not top notch and need to be replaced if they are from the factory. The interior leather seats are great for long trips with the family whether it is towing a boat to driving a couple hundred miles on the freeway, although the 3rd row is made more for children with limited legroom for taller adults. The engine has plenty of power also would recommend chipping the ECU, throwing a K&N cold air kit made for the engine, and throwing a magnaflow/flowmaster exhaust kit it will give the vehicle a completely different feel in the amount of power. The only bad thing about this car nowadays is the gas, on a good day I will get about 13-15 mpg city and about 17-19 highway and the 23 gallon tank is not to cheap to fill up but then again it is not a prius. All in all it is a wonderful vehicle and I am glad to have it."

Off Road MONSTER!

By on Friday, June 29, 2012

Pros: "Easy Driver, Strong Drivetrain, Low Body-Roll"

Cons: "Gas Mileage(duh), Wheel Size, Rear Drum Brakes"

"To start off everything is better with lots of power, the 5.9 liter 360 Magnum will run forever(with the right maintenance that is). The power delivered from the engine will flow right in to the NV3500 transmission that it relies on, after about two hundred thousand miles of abusive, or under maintained trans use parts will start to go out. But don't let that worry you the four-wheel drive will continue to drag the competition behind you. Although coming out of production with 15" alloys an full size spare, it will do it's best to get you where you need to be. Also you will want to remember to keep your AC system up to par, if not those nasty little pumps can and will eat you belt and money without a second thought. As all avid mechanics or DIY-ers know, keep your plugs, wires, oil changes, and trans fluid change on a regular basis an you will have yourself a three hundred an fifty thousands mile steel horse to take you where you wanna go."