1998 Dodge Durango

8.1

Based on 958 Ratings for the 1998 - 2003 models.

I absolutley love my Durango... I am on my third!

By on Sunday, February 10, 2013

Pros: "Nice Ride, Fast, Decent MPG, Very Reliable. 4.7L"

Cons: "Owned 3, the 5.9L MPG and Trans would be cons."

Here is my new Maroon Durango

"I am on my 3rd first gen Durango, I think its safe to say I am obsessed. My first one was a beauty white AWD with the 4.7L - Very powerful and got 20+MPG on the interstate. Rode like a dream and never left me stranded ANYWHERE! I inherited that vehicle with 100K and I drove it to 190K, still drove like brand new, I cried when I sold it. I then bought a Maxima which wasnt all that it was hyped up to be. 9 months later I bought another Durango! Black with gold bottom trim, she was a beauty! The heated seats were so hot they could cook eggs! Beware tho! this one had the 5.9L, and yeah its a BIG V8, but it was not any faster than the previous 4.7L I had, and the 5.9 struggled to get 15mpg on the interstate. I drove the 2nd one from 149K to 185K with no issues what so ever, she never left me stranded either! My only gripe(s) with the 5.9L was the gas mileage, the transmission was not so good compared to the newer better ones that the 4.7L's come with.. and it did not ride as good as my first one. Now im on my third. She is a 2001 with the 4.7L, maroon with gold bottom trim, fully loaded! I am glad I came back to the 4.7L Bringing it back from the dealer I got 22MPG going 75mph, it was fantastic! These vehicles are so good in the snow and in off-roading conditions. Thus far all have easily cut through 2ft+ of snow and drive in the snow like they are on pavement."

My video

Here is my new Maroon Durango

Here is my Black one with the 5.9L that I sold for the 4.7L

Great Vehicle

By on Thursday, July 19, 2012

Pros: "Power, comfort, towing."

Cons: "MPG"

"I have had this vehicle for almost 7 years now and I love all the dynamics of it. I have not had any major problems with the powertrain but the ball joints are not top notch and need to be replaced if they are from the factory. The interior leather seats are great for long trips with the family whether it is towing a boat to driving a couple hundred miles on the freeway, although the 3rd row is made more for children with limited legroom for taller adults. The engine has plenty of power also would recommend chipping the ECU, throwing a K&N cold air kit made for the engine, and throwing a magnaflow/flowmaster exhaust kit it will give the vehicle a completely different feel in the amount of power. The only bad thing about this car nowadays is the gas, on a good day I will get about 13-15 mpg city and about 17-19 highway and the 23 gallon tank is not to cheap to fill up but then again it is not a prius. All in all it is a wonderful vehicle and I am glad to have it."

Bought it Brand New And Still LOVE it! Best Ever!!

By on Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Pros: "Height, 4WD, 3rd row seating, Comfortable to drive"

Cons: "Nothing at all! I LOVE this truck! (SUV)"

"I have owned this Durango since it was Brand New. It has never failed me! 13 years and it is still my favorite ride ever! It has height, it is sturdy, it goes through everything! I have had to put very little money into it. Maintenance is simple. My kids and their friends all fit inside with the 3rd row seating. Driven across the country and back with no issues at all. This vehicle is Very Fast!!! It's the smaller engine of the V8's and it was getting Fabulous Gas Mileage compared to any other "truck" I have owned. This SUV is definitely a Mothers Best Friend! It has adjustable height drivers seat, lumbar adjustment, tilts up/down at knees for comfort. Big tow package mirrors for a better side/rear visual. Has the navigation box above that shows the direction of travel you are facing, the time, the miles traveled, the amount of time traveled, and the temperature outside. The motor purrs even after 178K miles! Considering it's a 4x4 it rides like a car! Not bouncy and uncomfortable. I have back injuries and this vehicle is the easiest ride for this as it is the only one that does NOT hurt me to drive. Center seat has a drop down center console with cup holders for the passengers. Seats flip forward for hauling big items in back. Packed 6 people in to travel to CA and back comfortably, with luggage. I cannot imagine trying this is a mini van even! We had height and stability for driving thru the mountainous areas in Colorado. A very Fun vehicle to own! I have tried newer models and I was not as impressed. I will drive this til' it drops! And then probably replace whatever breaks to continue driving it! :)"

Very Dependable!

By on Monday, March 10, 2008

"Owned for 8 years and has 130,000 miles. Oil changes and basic tune work. The only repair has been a water pump at 120,000. This is the best vehicle I have owned to date."

Ultimate Test Drive

By on Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Pros: "Ton of fun to operate!"

Cons: "Likes the go-go juice."

"The interior is put together like something that could be compared to a Cadillac. The ride is extremely smooth and comfortable. The drive-train is super sound with smooth shifting and acceleration. The leather is nice and soft, not fake feeling. The embroidered suede on the front seats is a nice touch. All controls easy to use and find. I have the 5.9L horse of an engine, so in town driving could be dicey if you have an extremely tight wallet. Overall... Superior vehicle in performance, style, and function."