• 2014 Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide

2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab

8.3

Based on 1354 Ratings for the 1997 - 2004 models.

Great mid size pickup, plenty of pwr

By on Friday, July 04, 2014

Pros: "Reliable and plenty of pwr"

Cons: "Does not like cheap gas"

"Second owner of this truck, had 18K when I bought it in Feb of 1999. (1998 model). Mostly used to tow a tent trailer or an 18 foot boat. Also occasional commuter. Great truck, never let me down and always had plenty of power to do what I wanted to do. The 318 Magnum is a very good engine, always stated on the coldest mornings and handled the heat of summer well. Fairly easy to work on (maintenance) and parts easy/fair price. Before a long trip, I had the all the fluids changed at a Texaco quick service center and they forgot to re-fill the transfer case. I drove it about 3K miles before it blew up. (that business is gone now) Only two complaints: The sliding rear window leaked (bad) and I had to pull the interior out to let it dry. After doing this twice, I shut the window and sealed it with silicone. Will say pulling the interior out was not too bad a job. The Magnum does NOT like cheap gas. It runs on mid grade and you can feel the difference between Arco and Chevron/Shell or Texaco. I do not put Arco in it, rather pay a couple of bucks more and get the performance. Overall, after 15 years of ownership, it has been a great truck. Time to step up to a Dodge Cummins 2500 to pull the camper we want for retirement. I will miss it."

Outstanding Truck -- Nothin' Like It Since 2004!

By on Friday, June 27, 2014

Pros: "PAYLOAD, DRIVE SYSTEM, POWER, SIZE"

Cons: "Not made any more (STUPIDEST "Mopar" decision ever"

"Have had since new. Of the MANY vehicles I've owned over last 50 yrs, all-in-all this is tops! Beyond great reliability, these things set it apart: 1. PAYLOAD: Factory-equipped 1700# Payload (more than many "full size" p/u's). Carries 1300# slide-in pop-up, towing 1000# boat/trl, only squatting 1-2" on rear axle. 2. DRIVE SYS: Full-time 4WD/"AWD" w/ limited-slip Diff. and elec/ 4HI & 4Lo is perfect for my climate and on/off-road use, & only costs 1-2mpg. (Why Dodge dropped option w/ 2005 Dokata "update" (HAH!) is unfathomable!) 3. SIZE: Extra 4" between rear wheels (44" vs "toy" p/u's 40") make big difference, but can still easily park in garage & smaller turning radius than "full-size" p/u's. 4. POWER: W/ higher ratio diff. option, 4.7V8 has plenty torque. Handles grades under load fine."

Never again

By on Thursday, June 26, 2014

Pros: "A pain to own and work on. Terrible design"

"4th Dodge/Ply/Chrysler product I have owned. Ashamed to say. I have yet owned one that was reliable. I would not own this one but I bought it from family. (No job worked out payment plan)"

I love the Dodge Dakota trucks

By on Saturday, June 21, 2014

Pros: "All that you want in a truck with all the comfort"

Cons: "Mild acceration lag"

"This is my second Dodge Dakota truck. The first was a 1993 and the second is a 2004. As you see, I have kept the trucks a long time each time. The only reason for me to sell this truck is if Dodge had a hybrid Dakota for me to trade in on. This will likely be the last truck I will have to buy. 10 years old and still going strong and looks like new."

very dependable

By on Friday, June 06, 2014

"red ,good tires,clean"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Dodge Dakota Quad Cab near Honolulu. See local deals