• Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide
  • Kelley Blue Book Best Buys of 2015: Pickup Truck

2008 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab

8.0

Based on 542 Ratings for the 2005 - 2010 models.

Awesome truck, I just wish I would of got 4 WD.

By on Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Pros: "Good Looking, V-8 rocks"

Cons: "small rear seats"

"I bought new in 2007. The truck has been a loyal friend that I have been able to count on always. I only wish that I would of gotten a 4X4 as my lifestyle has changed. I have 67,000 miles on the original brakes and battery. I have only needed to replace one set of tires as well as one set of sway bar end links. The power of this truck is awesome and it handles well on all roads. I have gotten upwards of 23 MPG going 65MPH on long highway trips."

Great Truck

By on Thursday, July 11, 2013

Pros: "Looks, room, features, comfort, power"

Cons: "Dshboard dials, comfort and gas mileage"

"I know everyone feels superior with a Ram, but this is a better truck. We love this truck. It is such a great looking truck and has a lot of good features. The only thing I didn't like about it, which is minor, is the white dials on the dashboard. Otherwise, I was very sad to lose this truck. It was black and so sharp looking. It's too bad Dodge quit making this truck. It was the perfect size for us, an older couple. Loved having the back seat for our grandchildren's carseats and felt it had safety and power. Since they don't make Dakotas anymore, we will have to buy a used one again someday."

I do love a Dodge!!!!

By on Saturday, February 18, 2012

"This is my second Dodge truck, my first was a Ram 1500 4x4 ext cab. It was loaded for bear and I felt like a million bucks behind the wheel! I bought a Grand Caravan after our fourth grandchild was born in order to make it easier to transport them and my husband began driving the Ram. The Caravan was loaded as well, and it was an exceptional vehicle, however; it wasn't my truck. Once the children grew big enough to be able to enter and exit the vehicle on their own, I then purchased the Dakota. I kept the Caravan, for the 7 passenger seating, but I needed a truck. I have two complaints with my Dakota, one is the V6 motor. I wish I had bought the Dakaota with the V8. The V6 really just doesn't have quite enough power to pull and do what I need to do without putting a little more strain on the motor than I like to. The only other real complaint I have is that there really is not much room inside the cab of the truck for you to even set your purse down and it not be in the way of something or someone. The cramped space, however, I feel is not much of a complaint! I love my DODGE! I AM A PROUD DODGE OWNER ... THREE TIMES OVER! If you haven't test driven a Dodge, you don't know what you've missed!"

Sleek Styling, Great Towing, Plenty of Room

By on Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Pros: "Great Value, Comfortable, Reliable"

Cons: "Cheap, plastic interior."

"Great truck! Solid performance and great riding experience. Cab is roomy and comfortable. The interior is OK..not so impressive, but hey its a truck. The V8 has some spunk to it and has a great towing capacity. Obviously eats some gas though. Around town I get about 14 MPG and highway is 18.5 MPG. My commute to work is a combo of highway driving and city... That trip I usually average 17."

great truck for price point

By on Tuesday, January 17, 2012

"great truck with good gas mileage handles towing well towed 2500 lbs for 400 miles off bumper has done everytihing I needed it to do"

Room for my golf clubs

By on Sunday, April 26, 2009

"Overall, i'm pleased with the vehicle. My previous truck was a Ford Ranger. I would rate it a bit better than the Ranger even though I have been a Ford guy most of my life."

It's a BEAST!!!

By on Sunday, August 24, 2008

"Awesome truck,I put over 40k on it so far no major problems.I bought it new in 06 and got a sweet deal.Sway bar links were just replaced,and its about time for tires,but at this mileage,that is to be expected.I am getting 20-22 mpg highway,17 all around.And thats with the 4.7 4x4.It rides great,is quiet at highway speeds and actually handles pretty well for a truck.The size is perfect,I didn'tneed a full size,but the bed is a bit small.I got the quad cab-I have kids.I was thinking of trading it for an 08 or now an 09,but I like it too much to let it go."

Love it!

By on Saturday, August 02, 2008

"Extremely pleased with the comfort and styling of the truck. (It actually has a more comfortable ride than our late model Volvo.) The size is perfect for our needs, mostly to and from work. The bed, though relatively small, is perfect for all our home improvement needs. We were hoping for better gas mileage, in town, 15-17, highway, 20-22, but still not bad. Overall we're very pleased! Highly recommend the truck!"

Great Truck

By on Thursday, October 11, 2007

"This is a very comfortable vehicle to drive and ride in. I took it on a 250 mile trip and wasn't tired. My daughter sat in the back seat and had no complaints (about the truck). It has power if you need it and can get 20 mpg if you take it easy on the pedal. It handles very well on the road and it stops on a dime. I took it on a trail and never took it out of 2/WD. This is a fun truck to drive. The best part of going to work is driving my truck."

Just average at best

By on Wednesday, September 12, 2007

"Just not what I thought it would be. For the money they cost you can get alot nicer SUV and have just as much if not more utility than you have with the nearly unusable bed of this truck with very little leg room in the second row. The only upside on this truck is the power supply and towing capacity, other than that its alot of money for not alot of value."

By on Monday, July 09, 2007

"We have had our Dakota Quad Cab for almost 3 years and it doesn't have the best gas mileage, but compared to other trucks its size, it doesn't have the worst either. We get between 19 and 22 miles per gallon. There are some design flaws. The A pillar in the front is too wide and obstructs view of oncoming traffic and side view. Also, the cup holder and 4 wheel drive knob is not convenient. We also wish it had pockets on the back of the front seat for rear seat storage. It doesn't have a lot of power, especially going up hill or with a loaded bed. We do think we made a good choice overall and will continue to buy Dodge products. It has had no mechanical flaws or maintenance other than general up keep. It is great on long rides and very comfortable."

overall not put together very well poor quality.

By on Saturday, May 23, 2015

Pros: "slightly bigger than most small pickups"

Cons: "poor design on chassi"

"65000 miles had to replace complete front end.bushings go bad in upper and lower control arm.sway bar link ends don't last long.parts are pricey.poor fuel economy,14 city 17 highway.I would not buy a dodge pickup again."

I VE OWENED 4 DAKOTAS AND FOR THE MONEY THE ARE GR

By on Saturday, October 04, 2014

Pros: "VERY GOOD TRUCK"

Cons: "NO RUNNING LIGHTS"

"GREAT 4 WHEEL DRIVE- GOT ME OUT OF MUD AND SNOW!"

Great Truck!

By on Monday, March 17, 2014

Pros: "Great price, Comfort, Leg room, Design, Ease"

Cons: "Gas"

"This was my first Pick-up, older and used but still the best vehicle I've owned. The 4.7 V8 has more than enough power to tow over 6,000 LB, the "half-ton" bed was more than able to carry over 1,200 lbs without a sweat. The gas mileage for this mid-sized truck is poor though from 16.4 MPG in AZ to 12.5 in PA. The ride hide is nice, the options are nicer than a lot of other trucks. This truck doesn't have that cheap, work truck feel to it. I actually just wish Ram would come out with a newer one! Lastly the back seat has more room than the bigger RAM 1500!"

2005 Dakota Quad Cab in closr to Excellent Cond.

By on Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Pros: "Great smooth ride"

Cons: "I have neve taken it offroad to test it out."

Sideview

"This 2005 Dodge Dakota has a 4.7 Liter Powerful engine that is great when the 4WD is needed. It has dark tinted windows, with a solid red strips of lights across the back beneathe the tailgate and clear side lights when shutting off the truck for safety and to easily find the keyhole. The interior is cloth and is in absolute complete condition. The exterior has one tiny bump where I knicked it with a shovel, that has been primered and coated the color of the truck. Otherwisr the exterior is in excellent condition. The truck has oversized alloy tires the are very new. You must see this Truck to understand why I am asking $7400 for it,"

Sideview

It has really been a good one

By on Thursday, February 06, 2014

Pros: "Power, mileage, design"

Cons: "wish I had hands free for the cel phone"

"I have been very happy with this truck. I ordered it from The dealer in Branson, MO and it has been coast to coast without the slightest problem. It still gets very good milage and has never been stuck in weather or any 4 wheeling. I pulled a new Explorer out 2 weeks ago in a foot of snow."

Best reliable vehicle I have ever owned!

By on Friday, November 15, 2013

"It gets 17mph.in the city and on the highway. It has a very smooth ride for a truck and is Very dependable!We have used it in the past to pull a pop-up camper, and an 18ft self-contained camper and it did marvelously.I would purchase another Dodge Truck always."

Reliable but poor driving dynamics

By on Wednesday, November 06, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, smooth ride, good visibility."

Cons: "Uncomfortable drivers seat, sloppy handling."

"The drivers seat is too flat and uncomfortable. The ride is smooth. Gas mileage is about average at 17 city, 21 hwy with a 4.7V8."

Good 2005 Dakota 3.7 quad 4wd Atlantic blue

By on Sunday, August 04, 2013

Pros: "ac is awesome 9yr old too ! tranny smooth,paint"

Cons: "3.7 is under powered , some rust in wheel wells"

"Pros= comfort ride. air cond is awesome cold ice, and this is 9 yrs old. 4x4 works great . paint holding up ! looks new still ! Cons= v6 us under powered, some rust starting to get bad rear wheel wells, had some sensors go, oxy, cam. but this happens in all cars around 9 yrs old Ok i was reading the bad review, lots complain of tie rods ball joints, these go on all cars/ trucks- thats wear & tear. avoid bumps, keep tires at or 1 pound lower that the suggested !!"

An Excellent Truck

By on Monday, February 25, 2013

"I bought this truck brand new. It has been very reliable requiring only routine maintenance. I use this truck for towing, for which I put on some bigger breaks and it pulls my 11,000 lb just fine, and trapping in the fall. Gas mileage is about what you'd expect. 14-15 city and 21 highway. With my trailer that goes down to about 15 on the highway. The interior is great. excellent seats and plenty of features."

Great vehicle, four wheel drive works excellent!

By on Monday, June 25, 2012

Pros: "Dependable, good gas mileage, great in snow"

Cons: "no cruise control, no automatic door locks"

"I have been very pleased with this vehicle. I did hit a deer recently, but it was repaired by J"

My 4th Dakota 2005. It has been a Great Truck!!!!

By on Saturday, April 14, 2012

Pros: "Depedable, comfortable, solid and fun to drive."

Cons: "Front cup holder is dfficult with two large cups."

"My Dakota is a 2005 SLT extended cab 4wd V8 with Automatic trans. It has a trailer pkg.A/C,cruise,tilt wheel and posi. It pulled a 7x14 enclosed trailer with tools from MI to AZ and got the job done. Currently I get 14.5-16.0 mpg in town and up to 22 mpg on the highway. I have added a "Flowmaster" catback exhaust and a K"

not bad

By on Friday, March 16, 2012

Cons: "not real good on gas"

"Nice truck nearly 90000 miles and no problems"

This my second dakota both ran great, no problems

By on Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Pros: "easy to drive"

Cons: "Back set space very small-best used for tools"

"Only problem=the battery died quickly and without warning. Drove 1990 dakota for 15 years and traded for a 2005 and it runs great"

would recommend

By on Monday, February 20, 2012

Cons: "no ashtray or cigarette lighter"

"Good reliable truck, has plenty of power would preffer a little bit more out of the v8 though. It will out run all those little rice burner imports lol. On many occasions I have left lots of hondas way in the dust, the 3.55 gear ratio in the rear makes for good street perfomance and decent fuel economy for a v8 pick-up. I love mine and will only get rid of it for something with over 400 hp. I don't have anything bad to say about it except if the roads are wet and you have cheap or half worn tires don't push the pedal down more then an eighth of the way down unless your trying to go sidways lol lots of fun."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Dodge Dakota Extended Cab near Honolulu. See local deals