• Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide
  • Kelley Blue Book Best Buys of 2015: Pickup Truck

1993 Dodge Dakota Club Cab

8.3

Based on 341 Ratings for the 1987 - 1996 models.

5.2 Litre V8 Dakotas

By on Thursday, February 03, 2011

"This is my second 5.2L V8 Dakota. The 5 speed has more torque and is more fun to drive. It'll run against a Mustang capably. I'm not a big fan of the 3.9L V6 engine. The Dakotas have similar handling characteristics of a car yet you can still haul a fair amount of weight. The standard cab p/u is very nimble for a truck. The towing capacity of the 5 speed standard cab is @ 6500 pounds. You can pull alot of weight easily but the truck doesn't have enough mass to slow down a loaded trailer quickly and efficiently. I still own both of my Dakotas and enjoy both of them. I prefer the standard cab 5 speed to the club cab automatic 9 times out of 10. Cons: fuel level sensor faulty on many of these trucks. The radiator water jackets will clog up easily, use distilled water only. Clean the throttle body once a year to prevent rough idle. Interior amenities as well as fit and finish are somewhat behind the times but that's kind of typical of CDP/Mopar. Their trucks have always been known for their utilitarianism. Between the size of a tiny ranger or a huge truck the Dakota balances performance, maneuverability, payload capacity, fuel consumption, durability, dependability, and is a pleasure to drive. Until the 1997 Dakota body style was introduced this truck was in a class all its own. I find it a happy medium between a cramped, under-powered pickup wannabe and a cavernous, lumbering gas guzzler full size pickup. At 5' 10" I can reach into my truck toolbox from the ground instead of needing to climb into the bed of the truck to grab what I need. In my opinion, these trucks are good, Tonkatough, reliable work horses during the day and comfortable, spacious, and powerful enough for the evenings, weekends, and roadtrips. After 16 years of driving Dakotas I'm still smiling. I've looked for an R/T Dakota with low miles, great service records, and an adult driver who kept it out of the ditches (not an easy vehicle to find just anywhere) but I'm not always convinced that the insurance increase would be offset by the fun. Now, the SRT 10, on the other hand... The Dakota is a versatile, capable, dependable truck that I know will get the job done and in short order. Once the job is done you can expect a comfortable, enjoyable drive to your next destination. It's simple, straightforward, and economical to maintain. There's plenty of room to work in the engine compartment. I have no complaints, and for me, that's rare. Happy motoring."

366325.8 Miles!

By on Wednesday, October 14, 2009

"Bought new in 1995, my 3.9 V6 is great, I've never had the motor or transmission out. Ever. I've never had the rear axle worked on. Ever. I've done every single oil change and every single trans fluid change myself. Here's how you make one of these last this long... Oil change every three months regardless of mileage, and use ONLY VALVOLINE ALL-CLIMATE 10W40 Trans fluid change every year regardless of mileage, and use ONLY VALVOLINE BRAND ATF+4 Antifreeze change every other year regardless of mileage, use a full jug of Prestone Antifreeze/Coolant, then finish the top off with DISTILLED WATER ONLY. K&N Airfilter. Install it once, forget about it. Pays for itself. Champion Copper Core spark plugs every other year. Wire set, distributor cap, rotor button, hall-effect pickup every 4 years. Change your brake fluid every other year, refill with DOT 4 fluid, not DOT 3. Inject axle grease into door hinges and door strikers, should only be necessary to do this once. Change your rear axle fluid when you purchase it, refill with a 80/20 mix of VALVOLINE 80w90, and LUCAS OIL STABILIZER (part #10001) Using this combination and 34PSI in the front tires and 32PSI out back, the truck gets 20MPG on the highway; NO JOKE. It's a shame there is no holy grail showing everyone how to make every vehicle get this kind of longevity, but for this vehicle, this is the combination that works."

Most dependable vehicle I've owned.

By on Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Like new 1994 Dakota

"Bought this new in 1994. Test drove an S-10 and a Ford Ranger and in 1994 the Dakota had much more rear seat space for kids and a much smoother ride (with it's longer leaf springs). I pulled a small fifth wheel camper for years (appx 4600 lbs, a little much for the V-6, but it handled well and had no transmission issues). Today, it's still a great truck with near mint interior and a great new paint job. V-6 still runs strong with no noise or oil consumption. I change oil every 3000 with Castrol GTX. Trans still shifts smooth. Over the years I've replaced the AC evaporator, radiator, starter, and recently brake and fuel lines. Body has no rust, but the factory paint was peeling terribly, so I had a complete paint job last year. I love the way the truck rides, the comfort of the seats, and the instrument layout (all the gauges are clearly in sight and not hidden by the steering wheel). I'm sad to see it go, but got a great deal on a V-8 F150. I hope my Dakota ends up in a good home, as it's been well maintained and has several years of service to give."

Like new 1994 Dakota

One Tough Medium Size Truch

By on Sunday, September 30, 2012

Pros: "Excellent Value, it keeps on going"

"I bought it new in 1991 and plan to keep it forever. Last year, I hauled almost exactly 1 ton of demolished tile and other materials to the dump. I previously had hauled 3/4 ton of landscape rock. I did replace the tranny at about 165k when I started using it to plow my steep and 800' long driveway. Other than the tranny, I've only done basic maintenance (regular oil changes, transimission, grease fittings). I still think it looks 'cool', but my wife and kids aren't so sure. The large turning radius is a minor inconvenience at times. I like the basic, no-frills interior."

Best truck I've ever owned!

By on Monday, May 28, 2012

Pros: "Super dependable. Absolutely solid!!"

"This truck has done everything I've asked it to do, and more! Even with the 1/2 ton rating, I've hauled more than 1/2 ton many times - just had to be careful to get the load over and/or in front of the rear axle. Only issue I've had was my fault. I let it sit for several weeks (I have a 3rd vehicle). Mice chewed up the wiring under the hood and I had to have it replaced, but other than that, it's been as reliable as anything I've every owned. Great Truck!!"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Dodge Dakota Club Cab near Honolulu. See local deals