2012 Dodge Caliber

7.2

Based on 689 Ratings for the 2007 - 2012 models.

7.4/10
    7.4/10

By on Friday, July 06, 2007

If I could change the past...

By on Friday, July 06, 2007

"If I could change the past, I would not have purchased this car. At first, I loved it but as time goes on, I'm less and less pleased. My neighbors owned one and I felt it was really eye-catching plus I was in the market for a more economical vehicle so I test drove it and purchased it. It has nice lines, an aggressive grill, feels roomy, and has lots of uncommon features inside. It was affordable and (in my opinion) makes an acceptible starter car. Ok... that's the positive. Now for the negative. I have 3 major complaints (I have more smaller ones but I'll limit my list to the top 3). First, the A/C does NOT get very cold. I live it Arizona. I have a toddler. It was 116 yesterday. Air Condition is CRUCIAL! When I took it back to the dealership, I was told that "all calibers are like this" and there was "nothing to fix". Second, sometimes, when I leave a stop, it will begin to accellerate then randomly begin to SLOW DOWN!! Sometimes it happens, sometimes it won't. It is very scary when it does happen. It really makes you think twice about giving extra cushion incase it begins to dog out. Sometimes it will stay without power for only a few seconds, sometimes up to 10! Again, I took it back to the dealership and was told the same thing as the A/C. "It's the design of the CVT transmission... that's what gives you smooth shifting. There's nothing wrong." Oh... OK. sound familiar? Third, I've owned my Caliber for one year almost to the day. I purchased the extended, expanded warranty at the time of purchase covering all bells and whistles figuring it was better to be safe than sorry, right? Wrong. I have all my services done ON TIME at the dealership. I take very, very good care of my vehicles. The engine has starting knocking / pinging on accelleration. You really hear it on an incline (like in a parking garage) or in an enclosed space (like an alley or drive-through). I thought perhaps I was using too rich or too lean of a gas so I reviewed the owners manual which specified 87 octane... the octane i'd been using. I changed brands of gas for over a month with no change. Ok... not the gas. Finally, I took back to the dealership I was told... guess... "It's the automatic tensioner belt *blah blah blah*. All calibers do that. There's nothing wrong. Even if we did do something about it, it wouldn't be covered under warranty." Hmmm... my neighbors just traded theirs in because they were having so many problems with it. Looks like I'll be following in their footsteps again."

Stands out from the rest

By on Wednesday, July 04, 2007

"I love that my Caliber does not look like every other car on the road. Many people comment on the styling of my car. I love that I can plug in my I-Pod and the lift gate speakers are really cool too. I opted for the red R/T with the gray interior. Having a little color on the inside is great, although I don't really care for the red seat inserts... but it was the only way I could get the red control panel. My only little complaint performance-wise would be that the A/C just does not seem to get cool enough. I also own a 1997 Chevy Lumina that still has a much cooler A/C. Otherwise, I love my Caliber and recommend it highly."

By on Thursday, June 28, 2007

Good Economy Car

By on Tuesday, June 26, 2007

"I love my Caliber. I drive 50 miles daily to work and traded in my Ford Ranger for it (which I loved!!). It is great in the rain, good in dry weather, a little iffy in wind, but all in all, a good versatile car. Have taken several 500+ mile trips in it and it was great, got 30 mpg open road, with avg mpg of 23 in town. For a smallish car, I love it"