2011 Dodge Caliber

7.3

Based on 725 Ratings for the 2007 - 2012 models.

7.4/10
    7.5/10

Great car

By on Tuesday, September 07, 2010

"Great car, but make sure you are ok with a car that does 26 MPG average and 0-60 in 11 sec. Everything else it is awesome about this car."

Good first time car.

By on Wednesday, August 18, 2010

"This car is a perfect car for a first time buyer who needs the extra cargo space. Im not a big fan of the plastic interior which makes a lot of rattles when driving on rough surfaces or when you play music with a lot of bass. The acceleration could be better, although it's CVT shifts very smoothly, it feels a bit sluggish when taking off. This car has very poor rolling resistance, meaning the moment you lift your foot off the accelerator you can feel the motor dramatically slowing the car down which costs you a lot of gas. Ride quality is a bit rough and noisy at high speeds. Overall, this car has been a good deal. Currently at 34,000 miles I haven't had any major problems with it besides not being able to shift out of park without using the shift lock override and a squeaking driver seat."

Not such a good idea...

By on Friday, March 26, 2010

"I bought this car used (about a year old), and have had it a little over 2 years now. At first I really liked it, but I'm starting to regret the purchase. I paid $12,500 for it in 2008, and just blue booked it today at $5,100 for an EXCELLENT condition trade-in. I don't know anyone who has kids and has a 3 year old vehicle in excellent condition. For GOOD condition, the trade-in is only $4,575. Ridiculous. I was thinking about trading it in for something a little bigger because I have another kid on the way, but there is no way I am going to trade it for almost half of what I still owe on it. It has 76,800 miles on it, and I must admit I have not had any major problems. I had to have the tie rod ends replaced last month, but that's it. As far as the ride, it is extremely clunky over mildly rough roads, pick-up from a complete stop is seriously lacking, and sometimes it feels like the transmission is a standard and is shifting very hard. I have never sat in the backseat, and prefer not to, as it looks pretty cramped. Surprisingly, cruise control was NOT A STANDARD OPTION on the 2007 model, and that irritates me immensely, as I put between 500 and 600 miles on it weekly just for work. Personally, I like the way it looks. Has the front end of a big Dodge truck, and the headlights are HUGE which makes for great nighttime driving. I'm not a fan of the way it looks from the back though. From behind, you can see the gas tank, which, comically enough, kind of makes it look like the cars "unmentionables" are just hanging out. It does have great ground clearance, and I really liked the way it handled in the snow. The biggest regret I have about buying this car is the resale. If I sell it, I WILL lose a lot of money on the deal. And I cannot afford to buy another vehicle AND pay off the $4000 I would still owe. Think long and hard about purchasing this vehicle..."

dont buy

By on Sunday, August 02, 2009

"bought this car when i was 18 first problem went to trade it in a year later and the value of the car went down $7500! now i want to get rid of the car and the trans is pulling oh yeah im not even at 45000 miles!!!!! car is loud no space in it for anyone to sit comfortably in the back seat i wish i would have never bought this car!"

Perfect First New Vehicle

By on Monday, June 29, 2009

"Good: Excellent gas mileage. Just turned over 50K miles in 3 years. Whether for long trips, commuting to work or running a paper route this car has performed very well. LOVE the space & versatility of seats. Great amenities on the basic version. Bad: Not for a tall person - you WILL knock your head getting in. Fuel sensor could be better- $80 eval./$300+ repair or just tighten the gas cap...DOH! A little trouble with the clutch- was in the floor when I bought it and didn't get better."

Love this rig

By on Wednesday, June 10, 2009

"The Caliber has done very well for me. I am nearly three years into owning mine. A simple design, sure... but it has a hip-ness that is just perfect for my needs. A to B and back again, this little traveler is perfect for road trips or the daily grind. 30 MPG on the HWY, about 25 on the side streets. This beauty is exactly what the doctor ordered. I will be even more happy when it is paid for!"

Great value

By on Wednesday, June 10, 2009

"We just purchased a new 08 Caliber SE Plus and so far we love it. I'm 6'4" and I don't feel cramped in this car, which I can't say about a lot of cars. It's stylish and it handles fine. I don't care if "expert" reviewers don't like the plastic interior or inexpensive features- I did not buy it for luxury. I think it all looks great anyway. Mileage is great and we got it brand new for under 13k which we love! Very happy with our purchase."

horrible!

By on Saturday, April 11, 2009

"I have the 5 spd and it also has the heated seats... I was promised great fuel milage (the only reason I was considering a new car) was told 28 - 32 mpg... What a joke! I avg 24 on the high end. When I am traveling at 70 mph the tac is sitting at 3200 rpms in 5th gear.I have had it in the shop 6 diff times. I can not wait to unload this junk on some one else! DO NOT BUY THIS GARBAGE"

Stick Shifty

By on Friday, February 20, 2009

"Bought this car just nine months ago, after deliberating weeks. I have had exclusively Hondas since 1978 and wanted to test the American market. Foolish move. My '95 Honda Civic had 245,000 miles on original clutch. This Caliber lost third gear in under 13,000 miles! The fit and finish is cheap and the front and rear light housings leak, causing annoying condensation. And I find the rear wheel wells rob the cargo area of a lot of space. Plusses are the little storage areas all over the place and the seat height."

Great Reliable Vehicle

By on Sunday, January 04, 2009

"Have had this '07 Caliber for well over a year now and it is everything I thought it would be. It is not a high-performance car, but then it was not meant to be. I get great gas mileage, the AWD gets me everywhere I need to go in the winter, and I love the way it looks. My wife and two kids fit comfortably in it, and my son and I are both over 6' tall. There's plenty of room in the hatch area for all the groceries and anything else I've needed to haul. If this car got totalled tomorrow, I would buy another Caliber."

Good little car

By on Friday, January 02, 2009

"I like this car a lot! It's a little small inside but I am a 5'10" woman with a big purse! Easy to drive but I would definitely recommend the AWD if you are going to drive in any kind of winter conditions, it's a great option and worth any reduction in MPG."

gotta luv it

By on Tuesday, September 16, 2008

"have owned my caliber 14mo's, i just love this car, my MPG is as advert, room for cargo, and good looks too. didnt expect a sports car so Hp is fine by me, will admit plastic interior is .... well plastic, but for 16K wasnt getting leather was i ??"

I love this car

By on Monday, September 15, 2008

"Great car. Great price. Reliable and fun to drive. Looks good. Excellent safety ratings. I highly recommend this vehicle."

First Ever New Car

By on Saturday, September 06, 2008

"The car is sweet to look at and fun to drive. But my SXT has the sports package and upgraded sound and wheels. Road noise is not a problem when drowned out by the excellent Boston system! The car handles well and the CVT actually does what it is supposed to do. The only complaint I have is that the battery keeps going dead, and there doesn't seem to be a reason for it....any clues? There is plenty of room and comfort, but not much power. Still, gas mileage is great...ave. 28.2!"

By on Monday, July 28, 2008

"I own a 2007 Caliber SXT. It's got plenty of headroom, feels comfortable, and gets decent gas mileage (25mpg at the worst in the hills of San Francisco, and up to 30mpg on the highway going about 75mph, so overall not bad). I have the automatic CVT transmission, and it's pretty cool. My girlfriend finds it odd that there's no pause between shifting-she feels like it doesn't drive like a real car because of this, but I think it's great and makes driving it very pleasant. The car is not a high performer, but it has plenty of pickup, and when I want to accelerate I'm never dissappointed. Even going up hills with the car loaded It always gives me more Ooomph when I want it. I bought this car for the gas-mileage/cargo space combo, and it's got plenty of room in the back with the seats down. I am a whitewater rafter, and I can fit a rolled boat, paddles, jackets, and all the necessities in my car, as well as 3 people total. All together that's pretty darned good. My mountain bike however doesn't like to go in the back without a fight, so I've got to take the front wheel off, which is a little annoying. I wish there was room just to throw it in the back without that extra step. What would make this car PERFECT to me would be a little better gas mileage, and AWD. But in the meantime I'm overall very happy with my Calibur. PS (I don't use the air-conditioned glove box to cool drinks, but it is huge and very nice (I can fit textbooks in there). Peace"

Great Car for the Price

By on Friday, July 25, 2008

"This is an enjoyable car. Not expensive, has good gas mileage compared to cars in its class. Not quite as much get up and go as i wanted but i'm expecting a lot out of a small engine. I am happy with the way it performs. Good storage room for things like camping and what not. Comfortable, its not a luxury car but i been in it for 8 hour trips, no complaints. And yes there is a decent amount or road noise, but this should be expected with most cars of this value. I kind of like it, that is just me though. Jokingly: the thing has enough air bags. One would wonder if you would get squished if they went off."

Downsizing from a Crossover

By on Monday, June 09, 2008

"As a family of tall people, we had a very limited pool of mileage friendly compact cars to choose from. We narrowed our search to a Dodge Caliber and Nissan Versa. The Versa gets a little better mileage but had poor transmission, and engine noise reviews, and it didn't have a lifetime powertrain warranty! While the Caliber does not have the pick-up of our former 3.5 litre, we bought it for mileage, not to race it in a drfit competition. Love the CVT2 trans, ground clearance, and ease of getting in and out. And regarding gas mileage, I immediately installed a K&N air filter after purchase. The first highway trip showed a dashcomputed mileage of 30.1, based on my calculations it was 28.5...better than the 27 highway mpg on the window sticker. In town, I'm getting 24.5. Rated at 23. I suspect it will improve even more after breaking in. No complaints but I do miss the automatic seat position and mirror set-up for multiple drivers from the car I traded in. Also, for a car company heavy on cool accessories, where's the accessory plug in for my I-Pod on the upgraded sound system? It's only offered on the base stereo!"

Dodge's best kept secret.

By on Wednesday, June 04, 2008

"The SXT Sport is a great little car! "My little truck" blends the best of a sporty sedan and a small truck. Amazing what you can fit inside when rear seats are down. No one believes it's only a 4-cylinder (vs. 6 cylinder). Good pick up. Great gas mileage - round trip to the South Shore on 1/2 tank of gas. Bonus: Glove box "chill zone" keeps beverages cold on long trips. Maneuvers easily into tight spots. Not recommend for passengers over 6'. tall."

This is a good choice for fuel economy

By on Tuesday, May 27, 2008

"My hubby surprised me for Xmas by replacing my 2000 Dodge Durango SLT with a Caliber SXT. This car gets incredible fuel economy. I have been averaging 30-32 mpg daily. I commute 100 miles daily. My only complaint, it's a small engine, so its real weak and slow uphill, compared to my ol Durango's big V8 engine. I am a tall woman, 5'11" tall, and I am pretty comfortable driving the Caliber. Its very sporty, the base sound system is no jewel, better to invest in the Infinity Premium system. The CHillzone does NOT really cool drinks ICE COLD, it uses the air conditioner, so... The Air conditioner, heater both work great! The heated seats are awesome! All in all, I like it for trips, but miss my Durango whenever climbing hills... This car is GOOD for the money."

Not what I expected

By on Friday, March 14, 2008

"When we test drove the Caliber, we should have taken it on a rough road. The ride is fine on smooth pavement but very poor on rough pavement. The interior is somewhat crowed and the plastic interior is cheaply contructed. We have also not yet found the third seat belt in the back. For the top of the line model that we bought and paid top of the line price for, we didn't get our money's worth!!!!"

2007

By on Monday, March 03, 2008

"Styling is Good, But the Gas mileage does not come close to the stated mileage on the sticker, If you are going for gas mileage this is not the car for you"

great car

By on Friday, December 07, 2007

"I purchased this car after owning a 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix. The gas mileage is awesome (28-34mpg). The styling is cool. I have never owned a Dodge before and usually had GM Products. I will stick with Dodge."

now you got it

By on Monday, November 26, 2007

"just cant get over the great styling and vesitility of this great little car"

Great First Car

By on Monday, November 05, 2007

"I agree with the previous reviews. This vehicle is a great first purchase for a car. I also was dissapointed with the loud road noise, but my 2.0 engine picked up speed quickly. I've purchased the SE model very basic. If I had to do it again I would upgrade to the SXT or RT version for the additional accesories. Once again great first car purchase for me."

By on Tuesday, October 30, 2007

"You can't beat this car for the price. I love all the neat little features in it (the cooler actually works pretty well as long as you have the a/c going )and it gets good gas mileage (I get anywhere from 25-28 highway). Just got back from driving to San Antonio and it handled the long trip great and was comfortable. Just have to remember this is not a luxury car and is made to ride/style like an SUV but perform like a car so it can be a little noisey and bumpy. But terrific for first purchased vehicle and I love the folding seats for taking my dog with me on long trips. But if you are picky about name brands and you want to pay a little more, get the Jeep Compass. Same car just sits a little higher and has some more head room."