2000 Dodge Avenger

7.6

Based on 145 Ratings for the 1995 - 2000 models.

Meh.

By on Saturday, February 27, 2010

"I got my Avenger from a coworker at about 140000. In the car's defense straight off, it hadn't been maintained properly in some time. The brakes were shot, it had been in a couple of fender benders, and basic maintenance didn't go further than oil changes from what I gathered. (There WERE, oil changes, right?) At any rate, it died out on me within the first year and needed a heavy tune up... new spark plugs, wires, brake rotors, etc. No big deal really, it was behind and needed a little TLC after having been neglected. Now, where things start getting problematic is that the sucker is a pain to work on. Replacing a simple sensor that was causing problems required a trip to the dealership and a good $300+. Some of the basics were alright, but anything more complicated required dealership work due to the complex nature of the car. Plenty of leaks... a little oil, a little transmission fluid. Annoying. Idled rough, but mostly stayed in good working order. Other real annoyance was the door handles. These cars break handles off left and right. I'd laugh when I saw another Avenger in a parking lot because at least one handle was always broken as well. Both of mine broke, and it felt like the one I replaced was getting ready to go too. Might as well get them in six packs. Mileage wasn't bad for a big car, maybe 25 MPG overall. Turning radius was h o r r i b l e. Felt like driving a 747; U-turns need not apply. All in all it's hard to judge completely due to its period of neglect, but my impressions was it was a run of the mill American "meh" car that got the job done and had its faults. It finally met its end when a car pulled out in front of me on the highway and we hit at 45ish. In its final battle it performed admirably overall; despite the engine compartment being badly crushed on the left side I only received fairly minor injuries. At least on safety I can give it a strong score, as it soaked the hit like a pro."

an ok vehicle

By on Tuesday, October 06, 2009

"I've drove this car on and off for 12 years. My mother bought the 97 in 96 and passed it down to me a few years later. For the first 5 years it was an awsome car. The factory sound system was great and it had good pick up. at 65,000 miles I had to replace the transmission and the ballbearings. I had to replace the ballbearings again at 80,000. It was good on long trips (I would drive 14 hours frequently). It was great in the snow until the ABS went out. And the transmission is about to go out again at 120,000 miles. The biggest complant I have is the tires. You can't bump a curp with out poping them. The turning radius if very wide and it has very bad blind spots. An ok car, but get rid of it before it hits 80,000 miles. Thats when all the mechanical and comsetic stuff starts to go wrong."

great used car

By on Thursday, November 06, 2008

"This car has been my daily driver for 4 years and now i am going to buy a new 2009 avenger!"

A baby Viper

By on Saturday, January 26, 2008

"I bought an Avenger in 1998 because I loved the looks of the vehicle. I really wanted a Dodge Viper but couldn't afford one -- but to me the Avenger looked like a baby Viper! I've had my Avenger now for 9 years and its has been a great car. It needs new brake pads about every 25,000-28,000 miles and the alloy wheels always seem to cause me to have to inflate my tires. I have 135K miles on my car and I am on my fourth set of tires -- most likely due to the need to watch tire inflation. At 90,000 I did have some front suspension work - tie rods. Just recently I did have to have the starter replaced. I had the struts replaced at about 80K but this car has not nickle and dimed me to death. I have not changed the timing belt -- but if I keep it any longer I will be doing that. I still love this car and still get compliments on it when I take it in for oil changes or detailing. Overall it has exceeded my expectations. I paid $18K for it back in 1998 and it was well worth every dime. To keep this little running so well for so long, I always changed the oil and at about 75K I started to use synthetic in her. If you find a well taken care of Avenger, I think you will be pleased. The engine is still strong after all these years -- Mitsuibishi is the manufacturer. I would buy another Dodge Avenger even though for 2008 they are totally different."

Pretty good vehicle

By on Thursday, January 17, 2008

"My wife and I have had this car since 1997. We have babied it...it only has 60000 miles. We were livid when the trany went out the first year but it was replaced under our warranty. We've had to replace some O2 sensors but that's it. She runs great. Good luck replacing the plugs, plug wires, rotor, cap, etc. You have to pull out the whole intake manifold!!! Otherwise it's been good to us...we'll keep her another few years."