1999 Dodge Avenger

7.7

Based on 143 Ratings for the 1995 - 2000 models.

'97 Dodge Avenger

By on Saturday, March 12, 2011

"I never expected this car would last me this long but I'm so happy about it! Little to no maintenance issues. Still going! It's not well insulated so calls while driving are noisy. The tilted wheel is usually too low for male drivers. Overall, it's been perfect for me and gets me from point A to point B for the last 14 years!"

By on Friday, February 25, 2011

Very Reliable Car

By on Saturday, February 12, 2011

"I have owned a 1998 avenger with the 2.0L 4 cylinder for 3 years and do not regret buying it. I bought it with 128,000 miles and it now has 171,000 on it and still going. Not the most powerful car but I do have the 5 speed manual so its easier to manage the acceleration. The car is however starting to use a little more oil but overall it has been a very reliable car."

Great older vehicle

By on Thursday, January 27, 2011

"Works great for a cheap reliable sporty car. Don't expect a high horsepower car though. Bad turning radius. Fun to drive, great looks."

By on Friday, December 03, 2010

By on Thursday, December 02, 2010

nice

By on Monday, November 08, 2010

"the one i have it has 20" rims has a really nice engine i put a cool air intake in it and it sounds so sexy i put some bass speakers in it it sounds amazing it runs great i would recommend this car to anyone"

TRULY the *BEST VEHICHLE EVER*

By on Thursday, November 04, 2010

"I can't say enough about this car. I bought my 1st one Brand New in 1996. Very Low Maintenance! Very roomy(fit 3 kids in backseat comfortably)Very reliable, and has been a "LIFE SAVER" in a crash, More than once. I was invlolved in several severe crashes and due to the solid "TANK LIKE" body.. no severe injuries and was able to have this car for 10 years. I was hit once again & due to the damage exceeding car value, it was totaled. My kids & I owe our lives"Multiple" times over to this car and is PRICELESS in my book. I knew I had to find another, as this car was 2nd to none in an accident. Literally! But this car is very hard to find. We found a 1999 4 years ago, like new condition and with extremely low miles. This car has proved Safety is #1! Ive been hit several times in this car as well and the faith Ive had in this cars safety, came through once again! I truly hope I'll be lucky enough to find another one...IF & When the need arrises. BEST CAR in 14 years..... I CAN'T SPEAK HIGHLY ENOUGH of this cars SAFETY, LOOKS, RELIABILITY, ROOMINESS & OVERALL FEATURES. Would HIGHLY RECOMMEND... "IF" you can find one! :)"

By on Wednesday, October 13, 2010

decent

By on Sunday, August 22, 2010

"to low but great gas miles"

GREAT FOR YOUNG ADULTS

By on Thursday, August 19, 2010

"I HAVE OWNED AN AVENGER FOR SIX YEARS NOW IT HAS 139,000 MILES I'VE HAD TO REPLACE THE TRANSMISSON WHICH WASNT CHEAP AND A FULL TUNE UP WHICH WASNT CHEAP DUE TO THE FACT THE MOTOR SITS IN THE CAR SIDEWAYS AND IT'S A MITSUBISHI POWERTRAIN OTHER THAN THAT IT'S BEEN A REALLY GOOD CAR. BUT IF I WOULD OF KNOWN IT WAS A MITSUBISHI POWERYRAIN I WOULDNT OF BOUGHT IT"

Love It!!!

By on Tuesday, August 10, 2010

"I've driven this car for about 2 years now and have only replaced the water pump. The transmission is a little funny, but still going. Love the way it handles, and I love the bucket seats! This is my baby, more than my 03 Pontiac Montana. I love driving it, very fun!"

fair

By on Sunday, August 08, 2010

"Got this car new in '99. Right off the bat had the dealer rebuild transmission as it went out just about 1 year later. Have had minor problems with electrical system; automatic side mirror adjuster stopped working 8 month in, 6 years the drivers side door sensor stopped working so the interior lights don't go on, battery cables replaced 4 yrs in. Driver side door handle broke off 7 years in, cargo net hooks in trunk broke off 1.5 years in. Minor things but annoying. Have also had front end fixed 2 times for dealer recall problems. Car was garage kept for 6 years but paint on rear spoiler is coming off. Since I have put 106000+ miles on in 11 years, I suppose I got my money worth. Has a wide turning radius, handles like a bobsled in the snow and still manages to get me around in Chicago weather. My 6'2" husband hates to drive it but I wish I could afford to keep it longer, but I need something more reliable."

Great Car!

By on Tuesday, July 13, 2010

"This was a great car and Dodge/Chrysler didn't make to many of them. I have had not a single problem with it, and the fit and finish on the vehicle was actually quite good. My Chrysler dealer is very impressed with the car and we will keep it and restore it in the near future. The Stratus, which replaced the Avenger nameplate wasn't as nice looking, and the four door Avenger is most definitely not up to par. It is too bad that Chrysler is only interested in making ugly four doors, minus the 300C."

my sweet car

By on Monday, June 28, 2010

"I have had this car for 9 years, I love it, I bought it when all my kids were grown and out of the house, I have had no major problems with it, it handles great in all weather. My grandson plans on receiving this car when he graduates from high school. I regularly maintain the car and would recommend this car to anyone, I get 48 miles to the gallon on the highway and 32 in town, I have traveled extensively with this car and never any problems. I live in central washington state, this car has traveled to Utah twice and texas once , I go to the coast often (760 miles round trip,) I use less than 1 and 1/2 tank of gas."

My Baby

By on Friday, June 11, 2010

"This is my Baby, I put top of the line wires and Bosch plugs in it and what a differance in performance. All I can say is wow : She has been by my side for 14 years and 345,000. miles later stii going strong with minor repairs. Its a real gem and i plan on driving until it blows the rods or something major. Over the years it has taken me from Buffalo to Florida, Maryland,Georgia out West and Canada and it performs great."

By on Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Meh.

By on Saturday, February 27, 2010

"I got my Avenger from a coworker at about 140000. In the car's defense straight off, it hadn't been maintained properly in some time. The brakes were shot, it had been in a couple of fender benders, and basic maintenance didn't go further than oil changes from what I gathered. (There WERE, oil changes, right?) At any rate, it died out on me within the first year and needed a heavy tune up... new spark plugs, wires, brake rotors, etc. No big deal really, it was behind and needed a little TLC after having been neglected. Now, where things start getting problematic is that the sucker is a pain to work on. Replacing a simple sensor that was causing problems required a trip to the dealership and a good $300+. Some of the basics were alright, but anything more complicated required dealership work due to the complex nature of the car. Plenty of leaks... a little oil, a little transmission fluid. Annoying. Idled rough, but mostly stayed in good working order. Other real annoyance was the door handles. These cars break handles off left and right. I'd laugh when I saw another Avenger in a parking lot because at least one handle was always broken as well. Both of mine broke, and it felt like the one I replaced was getting ready to go too. Might as well get them in six packs. Mileage wasn't bad for a big car, maybe 25 MPG overall. Turning radius was h o r r i b l e. Felt like driving a 747; U-turns need not apply. All in all it's hard to judge completely due to its period of neglect, but my impressions was it was a run of the mill American "meh" car that got the job done and had its faults. It finally met its end when a car pulled out in front of me on the highway and we hit at 45ish. In its final battle it performed admirably overall; despite the engine compartment being badly crushed on the left side I only received fairly minor injuries. At least on safety I can give it a strong score, as it soaked the hit like a pro."

an ok vehicle

By on Tuesday, October 06, 2009

"I've drove this car on and off for 12 years. My mother bought the 97 in 96 and passed it down to me a few years later. For the first 5 years it was an awsome car. The factory sound system was great and it had good pick up. at 65,000 miles I had to replace the transmission and the ballbearings. I had to replace the ballbearings again at 80,000. It was good on long trips (I would drive 14 hours frequently). It was great in the snow until the ABS went out. And the transmission is about to go out again at 120,000 miles. The biggest complant I have is the tires. You can't bump a curp with out poping them. The turning radius if very wide and it has very bad blind spots. An ok car, but get rid of it before it hits 80,000 miles. Thats when all the mechanical and comsetic stuff starts to go wrong."

I love my baby!!!

By on Friday, October 02, 2009

"This have been a (VERY GOOD) car to me in the past years....I love it!!!"

Faulty Door Handle Design

By on Tuesday, September 22, 2009

"The only consistant problem I have had with this car are the door handles. The design is poor and they evently break leaving you to replace them. This is the only conplaint I have had with the car, everything else has been reliable and have not had any major issues to deal with."

By on Saturday, August 01, 2009

By on Thursday, June 18, 2009

By on Tuesday, June 09, 2009

"I bought this car used and have had it for almost 3 years. It's served me well in that time, even when traveling on 5 hour trips back and forth."

By on Thursday, April 30, 2009