1998 Dodge Avenger

7.7

Based on 143 Ratings for the 1995 - 2000 models.

Love this car! Amazing V6

By on Monday, August 26, 2013

Pros: "Amazing car, little maintenance"

Cons: "drinks oil, pinch welds"

"My dad got this car for free around 8or9 years ago. He loved it then gave it to me, and I see why he praises this car. I have the es v6 20 mpg city sometimes more. It doesn't have a whole lot of power but i can beat a new avenger no problem. The turn circle isn't the best but it hugs the road at speed so i was surprised when i heard that my car was actually flipped. Besides the front bumper and some dents it looks great. sound is beautiful. but my power steering pump makes a grinding when idling so you cant hear the engine purr. everyone loves the shape of this car it looks elegant yet aggressive. I did need to replace control arms and ball joints and a radiator but hey it was rolled and it keeps on going no problem. I am tough on this car and it loves it. Got him when I was 17 I'm 19 now so 2 years of total abuse so far and mechanic says my car could last for another 2."

Has been a very reliable vehicle for its price.

By on Monday, April 29, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, Fun to Drive"

Cons: "One cup holder, steep driveways hard on front end"

"I purchased a 2000 Dodge Avenger as my first car at the age of 16 with 132,000 miles on it. I am no 22 and am just now feeling the need to search for a new vehicle. At it's purchase price for me of $4,000 this car has been a great investment. It handled great in almost every situation, was fun to drive, and definitely will be hard to part with."

Sporty 1996 Avenger

By on Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Pros: "Economical and fun to drive."

Cons: "Hard to find some parts."

"Bought this car used 2 1/2 years ago, had 120,000 miles on it. I have put 30,000 on it and it gets 25 MPG combined hwy/city. Replacement of spark plugs is a pain have to remove head to access some plugs. Had to put a new transmission in it last Oct. Biggest complaint was they only made that transmission in 96 and took 4 weeks to find a factory rebuilt that would fit. Now in shop for a air/fuel sensor issue. But prior to October this has been a very reliable and economical car to drive. My adult children all want to drive my car when they visit, say it is sporty, fast and fun to drive."

Best car i have ever owned and most fun to drive!

By on Thursday, August 16, 2012

Pros: "Great handling and very fun to drive!"

Cons: "Plastic door handles break easily"

Right after the f150 rammed into her.. I was sooo mad!!!

"I bought this car used in February 2006. It had 83k miles on it. I drove this car for 6 years and put 110k miles on it. Very reliable vehicle. minimum mechanical issues. The car is now waiting on engine and transmission maintenance and overhaul. i refuse to get rid of it. It was wrecked when a ford f150 back into its left side door and rear quarter panel so it is going to need some body work. My Betsy looked just like the one in the picture above when she was purchased in 06. I want to have her restored to that same condition and is my goal. Never has a car entered my heart like this one. I have owned many cars and this is the first one I cannot let go. I LOVE MY AVENGER!"

Right after the f150 rammed into her.. I was sooo mad!!!

Loved it

By on Saturday, July 14, 2012

"Great car but it had some problems. It refused to start occasionally, and I would have to wait until it was in the mood. It took me a year to finally figure out that it was the distributor causing the problem. The heat didnt always work. This car is also difficult to work on. Other than that though, it was awesome. Never left me stranded somewhere. Worked well in the snow. The 2.5L engine is very powerful, while still getting reasonable gas mileage. It has a nice viper like style. It was my first car, the price was unbeatable. I eventually hit a tree with it at 55 mph, the car took the hit so well that I actually backed it up and drove it home. I badly wanted to repair it but I didnt have the money. It cost me so little to begin with that it wasnt a huge loss, although I do miss it."