1997 Dodge Avenger

7.6

Based on 144 Ratings for the 1995 - 2000 models.

My Avenger

By on Monday, September 03, 2007

"My avenger was a first car,... i definitely would recomend it for anyone,... this car looks great; sporty, yet classy,... definitely need to look into this car."

Dependable!

By on Monday, August 20, 2007

"Rides great-very dependable-sharp!"

Love this car..

By on Monday, July 23, 2007

"I have had this car for about 12 years. It has been a great car to me. The transmission is giving in but that's to be expected after such a long time but it's been a great car..I'll miss it :)"

I just love this car

By on Monday, July 16, 2007

"This car is sharp looking. The car rides very nice on the highway and back roads. Ride’s very smooth. It handles bumps in the road better then my Cadillac. The engine runs very quiet. It has allot of power for a 2.0 litter engine. The dash lights up orange, love it. This car comes with all the goodies, I especially like the electric sunroof. As the title says, I just love this car."

Best car i have ever owned and most fun to drive!

By on Thursday, August 16, 2012

Pros: "Great handling and very fun to drive!"

Cons: "Plastic door handles break easily"

Right after the f150 rammed into her.. I was sooo mad!!!

"I bought this car used in February 2006. It had 83k miles on it. I drove this car for 6 years and put 110k miles on it. Very reliable vehicle. minimum mechanical issues. The car is now waiting on engine and transmission maintenance and overhaul. i refuse to get rid of it. It was wrecked when a ford f150 back into its left side door and rear quarter panel so it is going to need some body work. My Betsy looked just like the one in the picture above when she was purchased in 06. I want to have her restored to that same condition and is my goal. Never has a car entered my heart like this one. I have owned many cars and this is the first one I cannot let go. I LOVE MY AVENGER!"

Right after the f150 rammed into her.. I was sooo mad!!!

Loved it

By on Saturday, July 14, 2012

"Great car but it had some problems. It refused to start occasionally, and I would have to wait until it was in the mood. It took me a year to finally figure out that it was the distributor causing the problem. The heat didnt always work. This car is also difficult to work on. Other than that though, it was awesome. Never left me stranded somewhere. Worked well in the snow. The 2.5L engine is very powerful, while still getting reasonable gas mileage. It has a nice viper like style. It was my first car, the price was unbeatable. I eventually hit a tree with it at 55 mph, the car took the hit so well that I actually backed it up and drove it home. I badly wanted to repair it but I didnt have the money. It cost me so little to begin with that it wasnt a huge loss, although I do miss it."

12 years old, dependable, comfortable, good lookin

By on Saturday, April 28, 2012

Pros: "lots of bells and whistles! Comfortable."

Cons: "Very wide turning radius!"

"I bought this car used and have owned it for ten years. It has never disappointed me, and is still going strong! I have two objections: 1) an exceptionally wide turning radius, and 2) a few peculiarities with (I believe) wiring and probably due to age: i.e., driver's door tends to lock when slammed; can't use a remote - it sets off the alarm; occasionally the windows won't open until the car warms up. City-driving mileage is mediocre (18/20). Open road on cruise control is about 30 (not bad for an old lady!)."

Sporty 1996 Avenger

By on Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Pros: "Economical and fun to drive."

Cons: "Hard to find some parts."

"Bought this car used 2 1/2 years ago, had 120,000 miles on it. I have put 30,000 on it and it gets 25 MPG combined hwy/city. Replacement of spark plugs is a pain have to remove head to access some plugs. Had to put a new transmission in it last Oct. Biggest complaint was they only made that transmission in 96 and took 4 weeks to find a factory rebuilt that would fit. Now in shop for a air/fuel sensor issue. But prior to October this has been a very reliable and economical car to drive. My adult children all want to drive my car when they visit, say it is sporty, fast and fun to drive."

Money Pit!

By on Monday, August 18, 2008

"I bought a 2000 ES model in 2001 with less than 10,000 miles on it. I *love* the way this car looks, handles (turning could be sharper) the interior is comfortable and it gets up and moves great. That is WHEN it runs. She did great till we hit 90,000 miles and those were pretty easy miles. Regular maintance kept it running just fine till then. Since then, I have dumped over $4000 into this car and it STILL does not run. According to several mechanics now the computers in these cars are very difficult to read, and very unreliable. Once they go, good luck replacing it! I had major transmission problems, not once but twice and that was before the computer went out. We had tried two different ones so far and this thing is still sitting in the shop, 9 months later. According to several sources, these cars do great until they hit the 100,000 mile or so mark and then they fall appart. My gas mileage dropped signifigantly, the paint started peeling off, the trunk won't shut, the electric seat won't move forward or back, the cup holder covers snapped off. All of this literally within a less than 10,000 mile span! I am wishing now I had of dropped the money into a Civic that would still be kicking! I loved this car, and if you are only looking to drive a lower miles car thats a kick in the pants, then go for it! Just make sure you off load it before it starts falling appart. You will be left holding a junker worth nothing, and that's if your lucky!"

it feels like a full on sports car.

By on Sunday, November 06, 2011

I own this car

Pros: "fast,sexy,fun,handles great."

Cons: "tight driver side,but it is a sports car right"

"i like the power it has on take off.i took a rounded off ramp at 76mph an never sliped once.i'm going to keep it till it's an classic,but it wont stay stock looking to put a turbo on it. as for the in side its great but i'm 5'9 an my legs hit the steering wheel getting in an out but that is the only thing semi bad, but i can live with that."

my sweet car

By on Monday, June 28, 2010

"I have had this car for 9 years, I love it, I bought it when all my kids were grown and out of the house, I have had no major problems with it, it handles great in all weather. My grandson plans on receiving this car when he graduates from high school. I regularly maintain the car and would recommend this car to anyone, I get 48 miles to the gallon on the highway and 32 in town, I have traveled extensively with this car and never any problems. I live in central washington state, this car has traveled to Utah twice and texas once , I go to the coast often (760 miles round trip,) I use less than 1 and 1/2 tank of gas."

Requires lots of work to maintain

By on Tuesday, May 27, 2008

"I had this car for about 6 months. The car may look good, but does not run good. I have had problems with the suspension, and braking systems. It has been quite pricey to repair. This car is a money pit."

Bad Idea

By on Tuesday, May 27, 2008

"From the looks of the 1995 Dodge Avenger ES, it's a pretty nice looking sporty car. Aside from that, the overall breakdowns and constant repairs have been horrible over the years I've owned this car. I have had to replace 2 transmissions... purchased the car at 74,000 miles, and have had to replace the tranney twice. It's currently at 118,000 miles, but I've had to dump easily 6,000 dollars into it. I purchased it for 6200 from a private party... but the additional break down costs really hurt the finances!!"

By on Saturday, October 27, 2007

98 Avenger

By on Friday, November 16, 2007

"This car is nothing but a piece of junk. It has the electronicly controled transmission that has problems that Dodge knows about but refuses to recall. Try being in it in the middle of a busy intersection or on a railroad track when the transmission won't pull. SCARY!!!. I am now looking for something newer and it will not be a dodge or chrysler product. I hate them. It looks good but doesn't have very good horsepower."

Love this car! Amazing V6

By on Monday, August 26, 2013

Pros: "Amazing car, little maintenance"

Cons: "drinks oil, pinch welds"

"My dad got this car for free around 8or9 years ago. He loved it then gave it to me, and I see why he praises this car. I have the es v6 20 mpg city sometimes more. It doesn't have a whole lot of power but i can beat a new avenger no problem. The turn circle isn't the best but it hugs the road at speed so i was surprised when i heard that my car was actually flipped. Besides the front bumper and some dents it looks great. sound is beautiful. but my power steering pump makes a grinding when idling so you cant hear the engine purr. everyone loves the shape of this car it looks elegant yet aggressive. I did need to replace control arms and ball joints and a radiator but hey it was rolled and it keeps on going no problem. I am tough on this car and it loves it. Got him when I was 17 I'm 19 now so 2 years of total abuse so far and mechanic says my car could last for another 2."

2000 Dodge Avenger

By on Monday, July 02, 2012

Pros: "looks great, picks up speed nicely"

Cons: "low power, wide turning, terrible car quality"

"This was my first car. I still own it and want to get rid of it. It became a huge money pit for me. On my Dorthy's (my car)side, I bought her at a local car auction for $1600 after all the fees. I then had $1400 worth of repairs to make her street legal. I bought her at 150k miles so the price was "slightly" reasonable. I have had her for a year now and the issues keep coming up. She stalls at low rpm's, tries to stall pulling out from places, rusts easily, and more problems keep arising. I'm looking at another $1600 to pass inspections for this year."

Has been a very reliable vehicle for its price.

By on Monday, April 29, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, Fun to Drive"

Cons: "One cup holder, steep driveways hard on front end"

"I purchased a 2000 Dodge Avenger as my first car at the age of 16 with 132,000 miles on it. I am no 22 and am just now feeling the need to search for a new vehicle. At it's purchase price for me of $4,000 this car has been a great investment. It handled great in almost every situation, was fun to drive, and definitely will be hard to part with."

By on Thursday, October 25, 2007

By on Monday, December 17, 2007

By on Friday, September 26, 2008

By on Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Hated

By on Wednesday, April 01, 2015

Pros: "Fun and fast"

Cons: "Short,"

"I hated this vechial it was so short i hated it. If you like short things then there you go but very economical very fast car but I just didn't like it"

By on Saturday, June 14, 2008

Worst Vehicle Ever

By on Saturday, September 29, 2007

"I have had this car for 2 years and I have had to rebuild the transmission, water pump, put in new door panel because the window switch didn't work, replace the a/c condensor and a/c pump, ball joints, and list goes on."