1996 Dodge Avenger

7.6

Based on 144 Ratings for the 1995 - 2000 models.

Meh.

By on Saturday, February 27, 2010

"I got my Avenger from a coworker at about 140000. In the car's defense straight off, it hadn't been maintained properly in some time. The brakes were shot, it had been in a couple of fender benders, and basic maintenance didn't go further than oil changes from what I gathered. (There WERE, oil changes, right?) At any rate, it died out on me within the first year and needed a heavy tune up... new spark plugs, wires, brake rotors, etc. No big deal really, it was behind and needed a little TLC after having been neglected. Now, where things start getting problematic is that the sucker is a pain to work on. Replacing a simple sensor that was causing problems required a trip to the dealership and a good $300+. Some of the basics were alright, but anything more complicated required dealership work due to the complex nature of the car. Plenty of leaks... a little oil, a little transmission fluid. Annoying. Idled rough, but mostly stayed in good working order. Other real annoyance was the door handles. These cars break handles off left and right. I'd laugh when I saw another Avenger in a parking lot because at least one handle was always broken as well. Both of mine broke, and it felt like the one I replaced was getting ready to go too. Might as well get them in six packs. Mileage wasn't bad for a big car, maybe 25 MPG overall. Turning radius was h o r r i b l e. Felt like driving a 747; U-turns need not apply. All in all it's hard to judge completely due to its period of neglect, but my impressions was it was a run of the mill American "meh" car that got the job done and had its faults. It finally met its end when a car pulled out in front of me on the highway and we hit at 45ish. In its final battle it performed admirably overall; despite the engine compartment being badly crushed on the left side I only received fairly minor injuries. At least on safety I can give it a strong score, as it soaked the hit like a pro."

an ok vehicle

By on Tuesday, October 06, 2009

"I've drove this car on and off for 12 years. My mother bought the 97 in 96 and passed it down to me a few years later. For the first 5 years it was an awsome car. The factory sound system was great and it had good pick up. at 65,000 miles I had to replace the transmission and the ballbearings. I had to replace the ballbearings again at 80,000. It was good on long trips (I would drive 14 hours frequently). It was great in the snow until the ABS went out. And the transmission is about to go out again at 120,000 miles. The biggest complant I have is the tires. You can't bump a curp with out poping them. The turning radius if very wide and it has very bad blind spots. An ok car, but get rid of it before it hits 80,000 miles. Thats when all the mechanical and comsetic stuff starts to go wrong."

great used car

By on Thursday, November 06, 2008

"This car has been my daily driver for 4 years and now i am going to buy a new 2009 avenger!"

1997 Avenger ES-Stylish Reliability

By on Wednesday, January 02, 2008

"I bought this car new and have had it for almost 11 years. I have never had a major mechanical problem. Some minor problems included the rims, which I got reimbursed for under the recall settlement and replaced with polished chrome (not factory), and the paint (black) which I had redone about 1 1/2 yrs ago. It still looks good and gets looks after all these years. It's Mitsubishi V6 could be faster and the turning radius leaves something to be desired but overall it's been a great car. I plan on driving it for years to come."

so so

By on Monday, December 10, 2007

"ive owned this car for 4years.I have replaced 4balljoints a wheel bering, both driveshafts a tranny,spoiler,two egr valves and many rotors probly 4 sets, they tend to warp easly, and snaps lower ball joints so when you hear squeaks when you turn look out.it recenty droped a cylider. it also has a short turing radius.but i love the way it looks."