• 10 Best Hybrid Cars Under $30,000

2014 Chevrolet Volt Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $31,779 - $32,745.

10/6.4

Based on 161 Ratings for the 2011 - 2015 models.

Previous | 1 ... 4 5 6 7 | Next

I love my Car

By on Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Pros: "Superior Driving Experience; Very Well Made"

Cons: "None Yet"

"It's everything I was hoping for and More! The driving experience is so enjoyable I keep looking for errands to run and I took my first "Joy Ride" in over 10 plus years here in Chicago on Lake Shore Drive last night just for the heck of it. An ALL Electric Joy Ride of Course! I expect to fill up my tank once a year! Amazing!! I could never see going backwards to another ICE vehicle. What I love: 1. The car is very well made and is a technological marvel 2. I will go to the Gas station about ONCE A YEAR 3.100% USA Energy Sourced and I'm not held hostage by OPEC 4. It drives like a dream; acceleration from a dead stop has to be experienced to be believed 5. It makes me much less worried about our Energy Future- we have an answer already"

After 38 years of Driving ...The best I've Had

By on Saturday, August 04, 2012

Pros: "Quality, Fun, 245 mpg, styling"

Cons: "No electric front seats, poor rear seat foot room."

Charging the Volt at Walgreens

"After over 10,000 miles I am getting 245 mpg. I live in the mountains and the car is great in the turns and the hills. I have owned Lexus and the quality is similar and better in a few areas. The car is fun to drive and feels like... "THE FUTURE"! I have no concerns about the quality, safety, drivability and technology and I have already recommended this car to many friends. I am an American, buying American, for what I think, are all the right reasons."

Charging the Volt at Walgreens

Unbelievable Car

By on Friday, August 03, 2012

Pros: "Premium ride and fun to drive. Cheap to operate."

Cons: "User interface has some oddities"

"Our last two cars were a BMW 535xi and an Acura RL. This car is more fun to drive and far more satisfying than either of those vehicles, and they weren't bad by any means. The lack of NHV is amazing. On a well paved road it's like you're gliding on glass. It's also very responsive. No downshifting or searching for the right gear. One owner described it in traffic as "a squirting watermelon seed". Not technically fast, it's very quick off the line. BMWs usually disappear as small objects in the real view mirror, and hearing their engines screaming makes you smile. It's a small car but works OK for trips. We kept the RL thinking we'd need it for longer trips, but after a few months we found we never wanted to drive it and the Volt worked OK on trips, so we sold it. Very cheap to operate. With the time of day plan from the utility it costs $.01/mile for electricity as opposed to $.20/mile we were paying for the gas car. That's basically free. Gets good mileage when running on gas but only use gas on longer trips. So far I've only put 4 gallons in the tank (you use so little gas that you don't want to fill up because the gas can go stale). Maintenance is an oil change every two years."

American Innovation is BACK!

By on Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Pros: "No Gas needed-but can take on long trip if you do."

Cons: "4 seats, More public charging stations in Midwest."

"Finally American Engineering has developed a game changer. I am amazed this car is not selling out production capability. I imagine it won't be long until everybody catches on that this is the only way to go Political Views and Tree huggers aside. I myself am no Tree hugger, my other car's have V8's in them. However, this car is so much fun to drive compared to any of those cars. I love the fact I just continue to pass gas stations as I watch people sitting in line waiting to pay $3.60 gal. for gas. I will occasionally stop for petro for myself e.g., coffee or soda but I just pull up to the door. Now what need to happen is for Restaurants, Malls, Stores, Cinemas, etc need to get on board and start adding charging stations so we can charge our cars while out and about. My current rate is $.08 Kw and I am averaging about 4.5 miles per Kw which is equivalent to 202mpg!!!"

4000+ miles and only 19.8gallons of fuel used

By on Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Pros: "Solid feel when driving"

Cons: "EV gauge tops off at 50 miles"

"Love this car. At first I was hesitant about this car because I wanted a pure electric car. However, after a deal we couldn't turn down ($268/month for 36 months with only $999 down), we are glad we are leasing the vehicle. It is like owning an electric car and having a gas car in one vehicle. Plus, love that we get 53.6 miles per charge (not 35). Fantastic car! Driven over 4000 miles and have only used 19.8 gallons of fuel after 6 months of use. If our driving pattern doesn't change, we'll drive over 8000 miles on 39.6gallons of fuel every year."

Wonderful car

By on Sunday, July 29, 2012

Pros: "Awesome drive. Cheap to run."

Cons: "Rear seat room limited. Backup camera quality low."

"The electric car with gasoline backup concept intrigued me. I gave it a test drive and was hooked. Driving electric is addictive. Quiet and smooth and responsive. If you are at all interested, do yourself a favor and give it a test drive. I upgraded from a 2008 Prius. I liked the Prius, but I love my Volt. I am getting about 45 miles per charge and complete about 90% of my driving in electric. The gas engine gets about 40 mpg, which not as good as the Prius, is still better than most cars out there. I got a free 240 volt charger which was available where I live. It cost me a little over $17 in electricity for the month of July to go 553 miles and I used less than half a gallon of gasoline for what I couldn't do electric. The touch sensitive center stack takes a little getting used to and the backup camera is not the best quality, and the room in the rear seats is a little limited, but other than those minor issues, I have only good things to say about the Volt. People complain about the cost. It isn't the cheapest car, but after tax credits and factoring in savings on gas and maintenence, I find the car to be a great value. Prices will come down in the future as batteries get cheaper to manufacture."

Best purchase decision in a long time.

By on Thursday, July 26, 2012

Pros: "looks, technology, performance and economy"

Cons: "Could have more leg room for tall drivers."

"I traded in a 400hp Jaguar convertible for my new Chevy Volt. The dealership I worked with was more a Corvette than Volt dealer and there were some strange looks sent my way based upon the trade vehicle. After a month with the Volt, I can say that I have absolutely no regrets and, the car has 100% lived up to the promise. My 2012 Volt has the Low Emissions package and so I am eligible for rebates and tax credits totaling $9K. In addition, I just received HOV lane stickers and am now able to save from minutes to hours per day in commute time driving. All that plus it is fun to drive and I'm averaging over 60mpg with less than 40% of my miles as EV miles. In Sport Mode the torque of this vehicle is nearly exhilarating and that comment is from someone former supercharged Jaguar owner. All I can say is this is nearly a perfect car for me. I'm 6'5" and the leg room is a little cramped for me but then, I'm used to that with all medium to smaller model cars. In terms of looks, technology, performance and economy the Volt is the car to beat. A friend bought a Prius Plug-in Hybrid just prior to my Volt purchase ... he is very jealous and "if he had a do-over he would have a Volt in his garage"."

Haven't been to a gas station in almost 2 months

By on Sunday, July 22, 2012

Pros: "Domestic energy, and in CA = 26% renewable"

Cons: "small glove cmptmt, low air dam, small sun visors"

"-great handling -quiet, smooth acceleration -very good suspension -OnStar RemoteLink app very good for tracking data re: EV miles, total miles, lifetime and per charge MPG, charge time, battery life, oil life, gas remaining, tire pressure; good Turn-by-Turn navigation instructions sent directly to center console -comfortable seating; perforated leather is nice touch re: breathability -only used gas generator mode a few times, but still easily get 40 MPG in this mode; has quiet, smooth transition -good touchscreen LED center console display, allows touchscreen control for most console apps like climate -hatchback rear holds more than you'd imagine -plugging in to charge car at night is amazingly easy/convenient -installed 240V charge station in garage = <3 hr charge (rarely drive more than 30 miles/day) -keyless entry and engine start is great--no more digging keys out of purse/pocket -MyLink is convenient re: bluetooth streaming Pandora/Stitcher/iPod -XM satellite radio a plus but not necessary -owned 2 toyota corolla's and a honda cr-v before this, and Volt is much more fun and comfortable to drive; also more comfortable/quiet with better handling than spouse's nissan altima (whose brake/gas pedals are overly sensitive, leading to jerky driving)"

Some major design concerns with this car

By on Thursday, July 19, 2012

Pros: "is pretty and sporty--see above for other comments"

Cons: "price is too high for what is being sold"

"I bought this car-because in the electric car world the volt is the only one that does well on long distance. The battery lists as having 38 miles when i get in the car. I drive with no air and no radio on. I do have to have my headlights-it is dark. This morning my battery showed a drop of 3 miles in less than 2 blocks of driving. I had expected that this would be alot better. There is no way I get anywhere close to the 38. The gas is better than a regular car. Here is my issue with the design- If the car comes with so many extras--why in the world isn't there a separate power source for the extras (radio, air conditioning, lights). Please realize that this car-on sale is 40000--and I expected way more payback. Also--don't let the sales person fool you--that 110 charge--that they said would work in 8 hours--read the owners manual--is actually 10 hours. I had to give comfort a 1-- I live in texas and I don't consider air conditioning an extra."

Take that OPEC!!

By on Sunday, June 03, 2012

Pros: "Freedom from big oil"

Cons: "4 seats, low air dam"

"So far 3127 miles on 10.7 gallons. Drives like a charm. Smooth and quite. I have solar. So now I drive for free. Enough for our family of 4 but that 5th seat is missed when grand parents visit."

Drive it. Love it.

By on Friday, April 27, 2012

Pros: "$2 per day for 40 miles of gas free driving."

Cons: "none so far"

"This is really a car like no other. The future has arrived. The Volt is comfortable and fun to drive. It will take you 30 to 40 miles for $2 of electricity. I personally get up to 50 miles in EV mode without too much efforts. Driving it is like flying in a glider because it's so smooth and silent. But floor the gas pedal and whoosh, you'll be pushed to the back of your seat and you still won't hear the engine, or feel the transmission shifting gears. You have to drive it in Sport mode!!!! Cargo area is large enough to hold a whole week of groceries for a family of 4 and more. We have two kids who like having their own seats at the back. The Volt seats only 4, but everyone get his/her own seat. The Volt is the first car I buy that my wife actually want to drive. Once you factor in the tax credit and operating costs, the Volt is a bargain."

Love the Low, Prowling Look - and the Performance

By on Sunday, April 22, 2012

Pros: "Great looks, great performance, awesome technology"

Cons: "Zero, none, nadda."

"I've had my Volt now since January, 2011, and I still look forward to driving it. I've owned many wonderful cars, but the Volt is the best so far. It is quick off the line and has nice, tight handling. The technology and creature comforts are amazing. Overall, it even beats my prior BMW 540i Sport (which is saying a lot, no question). I drive all week without burning a drop of gas, and then take it on long road trips without worrying for a second (it burns gas at about 40 mpg on long trips). All in, my Volt's lifetime mileage is 77 mpg. As best we can tell there is essentially no change in our household electric bill. I'll never go back to owning a conventional gas-burner. Never."

Love it

By on Friday, April 13, 2012

Pros: "everything"

Cons: "nothing"

"Much better than my 2004 and 2007 Prius The Prius like a tin can compared to volt Fun to drive haven't used any gas yet"

Best car I ever have

By on Sunday, April 08, 2012

"I own a Prius 2007 with close to 150K and decided to go greener. My wife and I are not dissapointed, we just got it on her birthday (March 27) and drove mostly on every errand including her work. So far we have over 1,000 miles, with only 10 galons used due we were anxiuos to drive it, my wife loves its driving and I love my wallet. I anticipate to break-even in less than 100,000 miles (to save about $ 12K in gas vs. electrecity costs). If the car last to 200K or 250K I can anticipate to save enough to buy another electric w/o using much of middle east oil."

Really like not having to buy gas

By on Monday, February 06, 2012

Pros: "Gas bill way down, easy to drive, wife loves it"

Cons: "Wish up front cost was cheaper"

"So far, I have been getting 175 MPG. I charge up every night with the standard outlet charger (haven't upgraded to the level II charger yet which charges in just 4 hours) and am ready to go for 35 - 40 miles depending on the temperature and if I have to run the seat heaters or not. Drives well and will spoil you with how quiet it is; now when I have to drive my V8 truck I feel like I'm driving an army tank. My wife and I love this car and wouldn't trade it for anything else. We have noticed our electric bill has gone up between $20 - $30 per month, but the Onstar report estimates that we have saved a couple hundred gallons of gasoline already. If you do the math, $3.50/gallon multiplied by 250 gallons saved = $875 saved so far (well worth the extra 20 or 30 bucks a month for electricity). With this car, we just drive right by the gas stations and joke about how we can't remember the last time we had to put gas in the car. The "I thought those were electric" commercials are actually pretty true to life; people will come by and actually say that when we stop to get drinks or snacks at a gas station (or to use the potty)."

Great on gas, gives up nothing

By on Thursday, January 26, 2012

Pros: "great mileage, well finished, practical"

Cons: "Touch controls can be hard to see at dusk"

"I bought my Volt mainly for the promised gas mileage and am not disappointed but was also pleasantly surprised since it is a very practical and enjoyable vehicle to drive. It has great seats, an excellent sound system and is very quiet, not only in electric mode but also in gas-electric. The low center of gravity translates into excellent handling and the electric drive has lots and lots of torque. It keeps up with everything on the road. The hatchback design has lots of access and storage space. Oh yes, and mileage varies from 38-40 mpg in gas-electric mode to 150 mpg in combinations of electric (about 25 miles) and gas-electric. I use the provided charger (110v) which is fine for overnight charging. The overall range is about 350 miles. if you run out of electric charge on a long trip, just fill it up like a conventional drive vehicle."

Beats My Old BMW Hands Down

By on Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Pros: "Upscale, amazing mileage"

Cons: "Back Seat is small"

A Dream Come True

By on Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Pros: "Complete harmony of form and action"

Cons: "Only seats four"

"I've longed for an electric car as far back as I can remember. I bought a "hybrid" in 2005 - that experience belongs in another review - so I knew the Volt would be the RIGHT design for the future of automobiles. My first days with the Chevy Volt are proving it out. Quality is first rate. The smooth, quiet ride is a delight to drive. Control is effortless and predictable. Power onto a highway and experience electric's instant torque!"

Best thing GM has come up with.

By on Sunday, January 08, 2012

"Test drove a Volt in Houston. About a month later my wife drove one in Tennessee, a week later we owned one. 2012 Silver Ice. Best car we have owned."

Take that big oil!

By on Saturday, January 07, 2012

Pros: "Very little gas. Stylish, Comfortable"

Cons: "A little pricey Air Dam too low for speed bumps"

"Great car. Very quiet. Easy to drive. Still getting used to the electronics as there are so many options. The regular controls for A/C heating and radio are pretty straight forward. The car is very well made and feels good to drive. The car is so quiet to drive. It accelerates well and is very comfortable."

Everything I expected and more

By on Friday, January 06, 2012

Pros: "I use very little gas"

Cons: "Only 4 seats"

"Not using gas makes me happy. Not being limited to the battery range makes the car practical."

What an awesome car!!!

By on Friday, January 06, 2012

Pros: "too many to list! total cost of ownership is low!"

Cons: "none!"

"The Volt is an amazing vehicle that is better than anything else available on the market (and I have driven both the Prius and Nissan Leaf on more than one occasion). The Volt is stylish, sporty-fun, powerful, quiet, very comfortable and rock solid at highway speeds. People are genuinely shocked when they see it and many say "it looks better in person". When they drive it they are very surprised with its performance. But the most enjoyable thing for me about this vehicle is I simply plug the car in at night (like I would my mobile phone) and then wake up with the surreal feeling knowing my transportation needs for the day will be gas free! It really is more freedom than electric. GM truly has a winning formula with the Volt, OnStar RemoteLink, and dedicated Volt advisors which help the customer feel front and centre. David Ottawa Canada"

I love my volt

By on Friday, January 06, 2012

Pros: "Powerful"

Cons: "NONE."

"I have owned 10 new cars in my life to date. My last car was a Toyota Camry hybrid. My new Volt is the best car I have ever owned. This car is simply amazing. I am getting better than expected EV range. (I actually drove 62 miles on the battery one day.) I love the flexibility to drive on long trips using gasoline if needed. I have over 2000 miles on my Volt and I have only put 9 gallons of gas in the tank since I drove it home two months ago. The car is virtually silent in EV mode. The instant acceleration and torque is fantastic. The ride"

A winner!

By on Friday, January 06, 2012

Pros: "Breakthrough technology that actually works."

Cons: "Pricey even with tax credit."

"This car is terrific! We've driven 1700 miles in 2.5 months and used 1 gallon of gasoline. Charging overnight on a 110v outlet has worked great and costs us about 1 cent/mile of range. We've been getting 35 - 45 miles of battery-only range, which is sufficient for almost all our daily driving. Plus it's a really nice car. The quietness of electric operation plus complete lack of any squeaks or rattles makes it feel luxurious. The ride is comfortable and the features are extensive. My wife and I practically fight over who gets to drive the Volt. I definitely could see buying another one when it's time to replace a vehicle."

Prius 3rd Gen to Volt Upgrader

By on Friday, January 06, 2012

Pros: "electric smooth ride, no gas, electronics"

Cons: "no 5th seat"

"I upgraded from a 3rd Gen Prius to the Volt and it is like day and night. Will make back the cost difference in 4-5 years and the luxury cannot be compared."

Previous | 1 ... 4 5 6 7 | Next