• 10 Best Hybrid Cars Under $30,000

2014 Chevrolet Volt Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $32,080 - $32,955.

10/6.4

Based on 153 Ratings for the 2011 - 2014 models.

Previous | 1 ... 4 5 6 7 | Next

Some major design concerns with this car

By on Thursday, July 19, 2012

Pros: "is pretty and sporty--see above for other comments"

Cons: "price is too high for what is being sold"

"I bought this car-because in the electric car world the volt is the only one that does well on long distance. The battery lists as having 38 miles when i get in the car. I drive with no air and no radio on. I do have to have my headlights-it is dark. This morning my battery showed a drop of 3 miles in less than 2 blocks of driving. I had expected that this would be alot better. There is no way I get anywhere close to the 38. The gas is better than a regular car. Here is my issue with the design- If the car comes with so many extras--why in the world isn't there a separate power source for the extras (radio, air conditioning, lights). Please realize that this car-on sale is 40000--and I expected way more payback. Also--don't let the sales person fool you--that 110 charge--that they said would work in 8 hours--read the owners manual--is actually 10 hours. I had to give comfort a 1-- I live in texas and I don't consider air conditioning an extra."

Take that OPEC!!

By on Sunday, June 03, 2012

Pros: "Freedom from big oil"

Cons: "4 seats, low air dam"

"So far 3127 miles on 10.7 gallons. Drives like a charm. Smooth and quite. I have solar. So now I drive for free. Enough for our family of 4 but that 5th seat is missed when grand parents visit."

Drive it. Love it.

By on Friday, April 27, 2012

Pros: "$2 per day for 40 miles of gas free driving."

Cons: "none so far"

"This is really a car like no other. The future has arrived. The Volt is comfortable and fun to drive. It will take you 30 to 40 miles for $2 of electricity. I personally get up to 50 miles in EV mode without too much efforts. Driving it is like flying in a glider because it's so smooth and silent. But floor the gas pedal and whoosh, you'll be pushed to the back of your seat and you still won't hear the engine, or feel the transmission shifting gears. You have to drive it in Sport mode!!!! Cargo area is large enough to hold a whole week of groceries for a family of 4 and more. We have two kids who like having their own seats at the back. The Volt seats only 4, but everyone get his/her own seat. The Volt is the first car I buy that my wife actually want to drive. Once you factor in the tax credit and operating costs, the Volt is a bargain."

Love the Low, Prowling Look - and the Performance

By on Sunday, April 22, 2012

Pros: "Great looks, great performance, awesome technology"

Cons: "Zero, none, nadda."

"I've had my Volt now since January, 2011, and I still look forward to driving it. I've owned many wonderful cars, but the Volt is the best so far. It is quick off the line and has nice, tight handling. The technology and creature comforts are amazing. Overall, it even beats my prior BMW 540i Sport (which is saying a lot, no question). I drive all week without burning a drop of gas, and then take it on long road trips without worrying for a second (it burns gas at about 40 mpg on long trips). All in, my Volt's lifetime mileage is 77 mpg. As best we can tell there is essentially no change in our household electric bill. I'll never go back to owning a conventional gas-burner. Never."

Love it

By on Friday, April 13, 2012

Pros: "everything"

Cons: "nothing"

"Much better than my 2004 and 2007 Prius The Prius like a tin can compared to volt Fun to drive haven't used any gas yet"

Best car I ever have

By on Sunday, April 08, 2012

"I own a Prius 2007 with close to 150K and decided to go greener. My wife and I are not dissapointed, we just got it on her birthday (March 27) and drove mostly on every errand including her work. So far we have over 1,000 miles, with only 10 galons used due we were anxiuos to drive it, my wife loves its driving and I love my wallet. I anticipate to break-even in less than 100,000 miles (to save about $ 12K in gas vs. electrecity costs). If the car last to 200K or 250K I can anticipate to save enough to buy another electric w/o using much of middle east oil."

Really like not having to buy gas

By on Monday, February 06, 2012

Pros: "Gas bill way down, easy to drive, wife loves it"

Cons: "Wish up front cost was cheaper"

"So far, I have been getting 175 MPG. I charge up every night with the standard outlet charger (haven't upgraded to the level II charger yet which charges in just 4 hours) and am ready to go for 35 - 40 miles depending on the temperature and if I have to run the seat heaters or not. Drives well and will spoil you with how quiet it is; now when I have to drive my V8 truck I feel like I'm driving an army tank. My wife and I love this car and wouldn't trade it for anything else. We have noticed our electric bill has gone up between $20 - $30 per month, but the Onstar report estimates that we have saved a couple hundred gallons of gasoline already. If you do the math, $3.50/gallon multiplied by 250 gallons saved = $875 saved so far (well worth the extra 20 or 30 bucks a month for electricity). With this car, we just drive right by the gas stations and joke about how we can't remember the last time we had to put gas in the car. The "I thought those were electric" commercials are actually pretty true to life; people will come by and actually say that when we stop to get drinks or snacks at a gas station (or to use the potty)."

Great on gas, gives up nothing

By on Thursday, January 26, 2012

Pros: "great mileage, well finished, practical"

Cons: "Touch controls can be hard to see at dusk"

"I bought my Volt mainly for the promised gas mileage and am not disappointed but was also pleasantly surprised since it is a very practical and enjoyable vehicle to drive. It has great seats, an excellent sound system and is very quiet, not only in electric mode but also in gas-electric. The low center of gravity translates into excellent handling and the electric drive has lots and lots of torque. It keeps up with everything on the road. The hatchback design has lots of access and storage space. Oh yes, and mileage varies from 38-40 mpg in gas-electric mode to 150 mpg in combinations of electric (about 25 miles) and gas-electric. I use the provided charger (110v) which is fine for overnight charging. The overall range is about 350 miles. if you run out of electric charge on a long trip, just fill it up like a conventional drive vehicle."

Beats My Old BMW Hands Down

By on Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Pros: "Upscale, amazing mileage"

Cons: "Back Seat is small"

A Dream Come True

By on Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Pros: "Complete harmony of form and action"

Cons: "Only seats four"

"I've longed for an electric car as far back as I can remember. I bought a "hybrid" in 2005 - that experience belongs in another review - so I knew the Volt would be the RIGHT design for the future of automobiles. My first days with the Chevy Volt are proving it out. Quality is first rate. The smooth, quiet ride is a delight to drive. Control is effortless and predictable. Power onto a highway and experience electric's instant torque!"

Best thing GM has come up with.

By on Sunday, January 08, 2012

"Test drove a Volt in Houston. About a month later my wife drove one in Tennessee, a week later we owned one. 2012 Silver Ice. Best car we have owned."

Take that big oil!

By on Saturday, January 07, 2012

Pros: "Very little gas. Stylish, Comfortable"

Cons: "A little pricey Air Dam too low for speed bumps"

"Great car. Very quiet. Easy to drive. Still getting used to the electronics as there are so many options. The regular controls for A/C heating and radio are pretty straight forward. The car is very well made and feels good to drive. The car is so quiet to drive. It accelerates well and is very comfortable."

Everything I expected and more

By on Friday, January 06, 2012

Pros: "I use very little gas"

Cons: "Only 4 seats"

"Not using gas makes me happy. Not being limited to the battery range makes the car practical."

What an awesome car!!!

By on Friday, January 06, 2012

Pros: "too many to list! total cost of ownership is low!"

Cons: "none!"

"The Volt is an amazing vehicle that is better than anything else available on the market (and I have driven both the Prius and Nissan Leaf on more than one occasion). The Volt is stylish, sporty-fun, powerful, quiet, very comfortable and rock solid at highway speeds. People are genuinely shocked when they see it and many say "it looks better in person". When they drive it they are very surprised with its performance. But the most enjoyable thing for me about this vehicle is I simply plug the car in at night (like I would my mobile phone) and then wake up with the surreal feeling knowing my transportation needs for the day will be gas free! It really is more freedom than electric. GM truly has a winning formula with the Volt, OnStar RemoteLink, and dedicated Volt advisors which help the customer feel front and centre. David Ottawa Canada"

I love my volt

By on Friday, January 06, 2012

Pros: "Powerful"

Cons: "NONE."

"I have owned 10 new cars in my life to date. My last car was a Toyota Camry hybrid. My new Volt is the best car I have ever owned. This car is simply amazing. I am getting better than expected EV range. (I actually drove 62 miles on the battery one day.) I love the flexibility to drive on long trips using gasoline if needed. I have over 2000 miles on my Volt and I have only put 9 gallons of gas in the tank since I drove it home two months ago. The car is virtually silent in EV mode. The instant acceleration and torque is fantastic. The ride"

A winner!

By on Friday, January 06, 2012

Pros: "Breakthrough technology that actually works."

Cons: "Pricey even with tax credit."

"This car is terrific! We've driven 1700 miles in 2.5 months and used 1 gallon of gasoline. Charging overnight on a 110v outlet has worked great and costs us about 1 cent/mile of range. We've been getting 35 - 45 miles of battery-only range, which is sufficient for almost all our daily driving. Plus it's a really nice car. The quietness of electric operation plus complete lack of any squeaks or rattles makes it feel luxurious. The ride is comfortable and the features are extensive. My wife and I practically fight over who gets to drive the Volt. I definitely could see buying another one when it's time to replace a vehicle."

Prius 3rd Gen to Volt Upgrader

By on Friday, January 06, 2012

Pros: "electric smooth ride, no gas, electronics"

Cons: "no 5th seat"

"I upgraded from a 3rd Gen Prius to the Volt and it is like day and night. Will make back the cost difference in 4-5 years and the luxury cannot be compared."

Excellent Car

I want this car

"I'm really impressed by how quiet the car is, even when running in charge sustaining mode. It handles and performs well, doing exactly what GM promised while exceeding the gas mileage estimates. I plan to buy mine as soon as the 2012 refresh that meets the CA Air Resources HOV lane requirements happens."

Love my Volt

By on Thursday, January 05, 2012

Pros: "Performance, looks great, awesome mileage"

Cons: "Only 4 seats"

"I love driving my Volt. Performance, fit and finish are outstanding. I have a solar array on my roof so I'm driving on sunshine. Purchased in October and haven't been to a gas station yet. Best car I've ever owned."

Great Engineering, comfort and Quality..

By on Thursday, January 05, 2012

Pros: "Quick, fun, Quality, cheap to run, techno"

Cons: "Remove the 7500 Tax rebate and lower price"

"Picked up my 2012 Volt in October this year after waiting 6 months for my order to be fulfilled. It replaced a Jeep SUV that I was averaging around 12.3 MPG to work. I couldn't be happier, I'm averaging around 650 MPG !! right now, I am able to go 18 Miles to work"

Red Volt after 2000 miles

By on Thursday, January 05, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive and has a great nav system,stero"

Cons: "No power seats,rear set legroom"

"My red tint coat has all options and has been an amazing experience. We have used 2.1 gallons of gas and average mpg is 987. It is fun to drive,rides and handles like a proper Euro sedan. For years we owned BMW's and the quality and drivability of the Volt has erased my desire to ever want to own any German or foreign auto..Our fleet consist of the Volt,CTS wagon,Silverado ext cab and a Infinity G35s It isn't perfect but pretty close. It should have power seats and more rear leg room."

a surprisingly great value and an easy transition

By on Saturday, December 24, 2011

Pros: "great drive, great fit"

Cons: "only four seats, a minor issue."

"I appreciate reading product reviews such as this, but am usually too busy to write one. In this case, my experience has been so positive that I thought I should take the time to share my impressions with others who might be considering the purchase of a Volt. I consider myself a relatively demanding car purchaser who prizes the usual combination of reliability, quality, cost, practicality, along with a reasonable appreciation of design and 'feel'. I've a family, live in the 'burbs (20 mile daily round trip), and use the vehicle for a combination of commuting and all around family use. I was in the market for a new sedan and was somewhat open to the notion of purchasing a more fuel conscious car, but not so taken by 'green' that I was willing to forfeit the other criteria (mentioned above) used in my purchase decision. Going into this purchase, I decided I was willing to spend a small, fixed premium for 'green patriotism'. I should also say that I'm usually reticent to buy the first version of any substantially new technology, so it took a larger amount of review and information to convince me to make this particular leap. In short order, I narrowed my choices and settled on the Volt after reading long road test blogs, road test, customer and consumer report reviews, and specifically, reviews from Volt owners who live, as I do, in the snowy parts of the country. I've owned my Volt for 3 months now and I can easily report that I am extremely satisfied with the car: it drives very well, the fit and finish are very, very good, the IT is superb (think: Apple level attention to detail). I find it has met or surpassed my purchase criteria on all counts. I long ago came to the conclusion that GM did their homework on this one and they deserve full credit. In me, they have now earned a (thus far) enthusiastic customer. And, I should also say that my positive impressions persist even after the press dust up about the Volt's batteries. Having looked into this, I think that so far this has been handled well (especially by GM); I drive myself and my kids in the car regularly and without fear. The Volt is a solid, enjoyable, and dependable car. I'm very glad I've purchased one. And no, I've absolutely no ties to GM or any of its partners. The Volt's a well designed and well executed product. I hope to keep mine for many years."

Instant Torque and Silence Are Awesome

By on Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Pros: "Instant Torque, Silent and very Comfortable"

Cons: "Hard to see behind you (must get backup camera)"

My 2012 Chevrolet Volt

"This car exceeded my expectations. It is very fast and fun to drive. Before this car I had a 1996 Firebird Formula (V8 LT1) and this car is way more fun to drive. The pedestrian alert button should be available on all cars. It is useful for so many things. The car is very comfortable and well built. If this is the future then the future will be awesome. The 5 year cost of ownership makes this car a great value. If I had the choice of this car or my all time dream car (corvette) I would choose the Volt. It drives like no other car on the road. It is awesome."

My video

Great value

By on Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Pros: "Solid, quiet, smooth, awesome options"

Cons: "Brakes take getting used to."

"I monitor my electrical use with a Kill-A-Watt meter.  Cool tool.  I found that average charging time is 10 hours at 1.3 kilowatts per hour.  A total of 13 kwh, (kilowatt hours).  I average 40 miles per charge. 45 on warm days and 35 on cold days. At present power rates in my area, this equates to $0.029 per mile. At present gas prices, this equates to 130 mpg. I have driven the car 1,500 miles of which 1,300 are electric. Charging cost $39. That millage in my old car would have cost a little over $200. I still have original gas in the tank. About 90 miles. Will probably make my first gas station visit in about 3 weeks. The car is very solid. Very smooth and very quiet."

Problem after only 2000 miles

By on Friday, December 02, 2011

Pros: "Great gas mileage"

Cons: "Not reliable"

"Had to return car after only 2,000 miles because of a service message. Apparently the antenna was defective. I would be concerned about this car's reliability -- might want to wait to see how they hold up."

Previous | 1 ... 4 5 6 7 | Next