2014 Chevrolet Volt Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $31,300 - $32,584.

10/6.4

Based on 189 Ratings for the 2011 - 2015 models.

Fun to drive, smart to own.

By on Monday, May 13, 2013

"The car has been a great blessing to me. I have enjoyed all of the special features and quiet drives. I drive less than 40 miles a day so I usually drive solely on electric but it is fun to go on road trips. I have been across the country a couple times and I don't feel sorry paying at the pump. I took a test drive just to check the car out and fell in love, I suggest you do the same. I test drove a tesla car recently and I would love to upgrade, but for the price the volt is awesome because it has the best of both worlds."

A great experience; not for everyone though

By on Thursday, May 02, 2013

"The Volt is quite the car. I commute 50 miles per day, round trip. Employer allows me to recharge during the day which worked out great during winter in central IL. Certainly this car's range is reduced in cold (and I am assuming hot) weather. Yet, even in worst of times it would go 25-30 miles on a full charge. Now getting 45+ easily during spring. Handles great, even in snow. Run-and-gunners would not get as much enjoyment from the vehicle but perhaps it may adjust driving habits. Can't think of a better car that I've owned. Now if charging stations would just be a little more popular..."

By on Monday, April 15, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, great car, nice design, amazing mpg"

"The Chevrolet Volt is really a great car! It really does save you money. On average people drive 900 miles in between fill ups. I would highly suggest buying a Chevy Volt!"

Third year with the Volt and Still Love It!

By on Monday, April 01, 2013

Pros: "It's electric! Nice fit and finish too!"

Cons: "Wish it were $7K cheaper"

"I traded in my 2008 BMW M5 for the Volt because I was getting tired of going to the gas station 2X/week (the M5 gets 12 mpg and has a small tank to boot). The fit/finish of the Volt is similar to a small BMW 3 series -- nice leather, decent sound, comfortable seating. Its handling is tight and nimble. The torque (with no sound!) is truly amazing (make sure to switch to sport mode!). I drive around SF during the week and on weekends frequently drive up to the Tahoe mountains. The flexibility of electric/gas make it a great cross-over between today and the future. I love the car and will switch to the Cadillac ELR at the end of my lease next year!"

best of many vehicles I've owned.

By on Monday, December 01, 2014

Pros: "mileage, technology that works, unique."

Cons: ""A" pillars are a bit wide."

"I had no intention of buying this car till I drove one. I had seen a few of them but they never really appealed to me so didn't consider them to be "my" type of car, and I've had a lot of new cars. Why Chevy doesn't promote this car more is a mystery to me. I can honestly say after 6 months and 2,500 I am more impressed with it each time I get in and out it. Have Nav with backup camera, Bose, rear park sensors, leather, heated seats and chrome wheels and more. This car has rock solid build quality, good driving/ riding qualities, and is really a technological marvel. I lucked out and bought at a time when they offered no interest for 72 mos. and with the federal and stated tax credits, well that was "icing on the cake". Love the smart phone app which allows status notifications of charging,tire pressures miles driven and other things. Standard remote start is great in the cold weather. I think the people at Chevy thought of just about everything to make this an outstanding vehicle. Still waiting to give the car a test in the fairly heavy snow but talk on the forums is positive."

ONE OF THE BEST CARS I'VE EVER OWNED

By on Monday, July 20, 2015

Pros: "MILEAGE, ACCELERATION, HANDLING"

Cons: "ONLY FOUR SEATS"

"I GET UP TO TWO MONTHS ON A TANK OF GAS, 100 TO 200 MPG, THEN WHEN I FILL IT UP IT'S 8 PLUS GALLONS. THE CAR IS NIMBLE, HAS GOOD ACCELERATION AND HANDLES GREAT. I LOVE IT. ALSO IT IS HANDS DOWN A BETTER LOOKING CAR THAN THE PRIUS I OWNED PREVIOUSLY. ONLY DISLIKE IS IT ONLY SEAT FOUR. I'M LOOKING FOR A 2016 SINCE THEY WILL SEAT FIVE."

Fantastic driving experience

By on Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Pros: "Fuel efficient, fun to drive, best styling"

Cons: "4 seats, poor promotion"

"I like my 2013 Volt so much I bought a second one. The Volt is all around a great car. Average gas mileage has been about 150 MPG when factoring both gas and electric usage. Went on a couple of long trips just on gas and got around 38 MPG. But it is best around town and short trips where we use almost exclusively electric. When going for test drives at different dealerships, no one had a Volt with a charge. They obviously do not know how to promote this car or realize what they have."

BEST CAR I'VE EVER OWNED.,WORK 44 MILES FROM HOME

By on Monday, December 23, 2013

Pros: "Handles Great, Beautiful Sleek Lines, Excels Great"

Cons: "Seats could be more comfortable."

"I love my Chevy Volt.. I disagree with one person who posted that it cost him a lot of money for electricity?? It's like 1.20 a day..on a household outlet..AMAZING !! A lot cheaper than all the Gas I used to use. The car handles Great..I am a woman..I used to drive BMW's, Corvette's, so I know handling on the roads.. This car hugs the road !! Excels when I need it to..I have owned the 2014 Volt for aprox 1 month now..I've only used 6 Gallons of gas..44 miles round trip to work Mon-Friday & play on the weekends."

Great value

By on Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Pros: "Solid, quiet, smooth, awesome options"

Cons: "Brakes take getting used to."

"I monitor my electrical use with a Kill-A-Watt meter.  Cool tool.  I found that average charging time is 10 hours at 1.3 kilowatts per hour.  A total of 13 kwh, (kilowatt hours).  I average 40 miles per charge. 45 on warm days and 35 on cold days. At present power rates in my area, this equates to $0.029 per mile. At present gas prices, this equates to 130 mpg. I have driven the car 1,500 miles of which 1,300 are electric. Charging cost $39. That millage in my old car would have cost a little over $200. I still have original gas in the tank. About 90 miles. Will probably make my first gas station visit in about 3 weeks. The car is very solid. Very smooth and very quiet."

Sporty, lots of torque and fun fun fun to drive.

By on Saturday, August 09, 2014

Pros: "Only get 7 gallons of gas about every 6 weeks."

Cons: "Only four seats"

"I'm averaging 123 miles per gallon after 39,000 miles. Had to rent a gas car on vacation in another city, wow, what a reality check, gas cars are doomed. Once you get used to the smooth effortless power of electric you'll never want a gas car again."

Dealership's don't carry the tire for a VOLT.

By on Monday, June 23, 2014

Pros: "saves gas, but so would a sub compact."

Cons: "flat tires are EXPENSIVE"

"Not sure if it's a problem with the type of tire. First two years I had no tire problem. This year, I've had to have it towed 3 times due to flats. The fix-a-flat would not hold in any of the flats I had. The problem with no spare is that I've had to stay in a hotel over night. In the most recent case, the dealership could not get the tire till the next day. I missed two days of work and had a hotel stay on top of the tire cost. Should a dealership carry at least one tire for any kind of car they sell? what happens when they decide to stop making this type of tire?"

It's paid for it Self in gas savings...but

By on Friday, November 15, 2013

Pros: "Gas savings, assisted parking, rear view camera"

Cons: "center stack is flaky, electronics in general"

"It's obvious in just the first two years, that this car is going to be expensive to maintain as it ages. My biggest problem is with the charger The 240-4 hours charger did not last 9 months. The company did everything they could to not honor the warranty. It was installed by an Electrician, and they wanted an electrician to verify the installation. But after waiting 15 minutes to connect to technical support, the technician didn't want to wait any longer. It was my phone and ended up getting disconnected after 25 minutes. The center console,'the center stack' as they call it, had problems from the beginning, that the dealership was unwilling to replace it. As time went on the center stack failed completely. I had the extended warranty, but there was threats that it might not be covered. Apparently it's so expensive they have to have a techinician from GM headquarters verify it's functioning before replacing the part. The center stack was never put in place correctly. Both the main display (speed and message center) and the Center Stack will complete go haywire and not display the pictures correctly, showing millions of different colored pixels. I do find the rear camera and the assisted parking valuable additions. What would make this the perfect car? Take out all the electronic gizmos and provide manual controls for the ac/heat, radio and CD/MP3 player."

On my 2nd Volt

By on Saturday, July 18, 2015

Pros: "Unlimited range, comfortable and fun daily driver"

Cons: "smallish cabin and back seat legroom is limited"

"I just traded in a 2012 Volt for a heavily discounted 2015 model. The 2012 had 56,000 worry free 91mpg average miles on it and was a great car. The new Volt with discounts saved me $100/month and is my preferred color "Iridescent White Tricoat" as I live in a warm climate. My wife and I share this car a a commuter vehicle and the HOV stickers are the reason we bought the first Volt. The car is reasonably comfortable (I'm 6'5" with long legs) and driving performance and handling are much better than the other option (Plugin Prius). I also like buying American and like rewarding GM for a nice turnaround with my business (I also own a Ford Explorer with the super-charged 4 cylinder 28mpg). The 2016 seems like it is a nice evolutionary step for the model but the discounts on the 2015 were too good to pass up."

Finally, a car that is fun to drive affordable!

By on Sunday, September 22, 2013

Pros: "Newer lower pricing, Fast, Quiet, Averaging 96 mpg"

Cons: "Doesn't cut the grass or do laundry..."

"I have owned 50+ vehicles and this is by far my favorite to drive. It is crazy fast in "Sport" mode, haven't purchased gas in 7 months and can take it anywhere with or without charging stations. I find it surprising that most folks don't realize you can go without buying gas when you stay in town but can also take it across country just like a "normal" car if you desire,(getting 38 mpg!) Chevy is really pricing these Volts well in the past month and if they made a mini SUV (like the Honda CRV )with this setup, I would get one for my wife. Note: I own a Mercedes facility and look forward to driving my Volt home after work everyday!"

Great one

By on Monday, July 22, 2013

Cons: "Four seater"

"Great driver, quick in traffic, 122 mpg to date, fine stable road car on 1000 mile trip on gas, gets 38 mpg on gas, 34 to 42 miles on battery charge. Absolutely trouble free for 24,000 miles to date. Best car I've had includes BMW, Porsche, Honda, VW, Volvo"

Surprisingly quick and rarely needs gas

By on Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Pros: "Fun to drive, looks great, and rarely uses gas"

Cons: "Rear seat legroom very tight"

Get the polished wheels!

"This car is everything I hoped it would be. My driving pattern is mostly short hops with a trip to downtown now and then. I've only spent $33 on gas (two fillups) in four months, and I still have half of that in the gas tank. Not only is it efficient, it's actually fun to drive and very high-tech inside. A great-looking car that drives well and rarely needs gas. It's a winner, especially with the $10K worth of incentives. Bottom line price was about $23K for a car that sticker priced at almost $39K - unbelievable. Don't be scared off by the low resale value; the incentives make it a very good deal."

Get the polished wheels!

2014 Volt Rocks!

By on Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Pros: "Fun, excellent build quality, energy efficiency"

Cons: "Can't think of any..."

"Chevy Volt is a well built American made car that has exceeded our expectations for performance (its quick and extremely energy efficient), comfort and build quality. Our Volt has used about one gallon of gas and 12 dollars in electricity over the first month of ownership. We drive the car just about every day. Kudos to the GM engineers and auto workers of Michigan for building one of the most fuel efficient, fun and reliable vehicles available in America!"

Comfy, Unique Experience

By on Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Pros: "Fun to Drive, Smooth & Quiet"

Cons: "120v charge time, limited storage, 38 mile battery"

My wife loves it - see that smile?

"This car is just a pleasure to drive. The sensations are relatively unique to someone who hasn't owned an electric before. I LOVE driving this machine - so smooth and quiet. It makes me smile to get the rush of acceleration without noise or exhaust. My fuel cost savings minus electricity cost is generating a HUGE savings over the Pontiac SUV it replaces. AWESOME"

My wife loves it - see that smile?

Can't stop smiling

By on Saturday, December 20, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, comfortable, versatile, economical"

Cons: "rear seat room, poor marketing of product"

"I've been driving for several decades and I suffer from Goldilocks syndrome, finding a vehicle I look forward to driving daily. I like the ability to solar charge my car at home while none of the range anxiety the pure electrics produce. It is a pleasure to drive, has the perfect blend of form and function. I haven't owned a GM vehicle in nearly 35 years, this brought me back. Amazing car, hope they make an CUV or SUV soon."

One of the very best vehicles I have ever owned

By on Tuesday, September 02, 2014

Pros: "great mileage,fit and finish, handling, fun to dri"

Cons: "No power drivers seat."

"I originally bought a 2013 Volt, and my wife hated the black, so after 20,000 miles in 10 months, I decided to get her favorite color, white. We never had the '13 back to the dealer, except for an oil change, minor maint. great car no problems at all. scale of 1-10, i give it a 10.No one would ever believe the trade I got for it. With all rebates, credits, EPA rebate, suppliers discount, GM rebate,I could not keep a car with 20,000 miles on it, so i traded. Cost was about $150.00 total for a new car with no miles on it. '14 Volt is in the same category, no problems at all, great car. My wife drives it most of the time, and always has the air on high, or heater on high, and doesn't know how to be economical, but we still average over 149 MPG. We have used 67 gal of gas for 10,000 miles. Our gas purchases went from $350-$400 a month to around $100. Pays for itself in gas savings. I highly recommend this car to anyone that likes to thumb their nose at the gas refineries."

Porshe 911 to 2012 Volt

By on Monday, August 19, 2013

Pros: "exceptional efficency"

Cons: "Can't think of any"

"During medical school I used the desire of owning a Porsche as a means of motivation to keep up with the seemingly endless obligations. After med school I decided to get a PhD in chemical engineering. A year later I started my own business and treated myself to a black 911 turbo. The car was great on the back winding roads but in stop and go traffic of a day to day commute the car was just a handful and woefully expensive to drive. After just 10 months I traded in on a black 2012 Volt. I drive upwards of 200 miles a day-all on electric due to conveniently located chargers. After a month of ownership my wife got a Volt for her commute. After almost a year of having her volt she has driven her Audi Q7 TDI once and rather ironically has had to jump it because the battery was dead. After a year-give or take- of owning two volts we have consumed less than 35 gallons of gas between the two over some 38,000 miles. Needless to say were happy with our purchases."

It was good early on

By on Monday, December 10, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive when its not broke down"

Cons: "Everything"

"The first 6 months was almost trouble free, only had it in the dealer a few times for electrical problems but its been a nightmere since then. Even if it was a totally problem free car the battery range is getting less all the time. I have an 18 mile drive each way to work and back home each day so on paper I should be able to make it to work and back on battery only. When I first got the car I would get close to home before the gas engine would need to start and take me the rest of the way but now I cant even make it half way to work and the batteries are drained. The dealer test's the batteries and they said they "check out ok". There is no warranty for loss of range so I am now stuck with a gas car that I paid twice as much as any other comparably sized gas car out there and the resale value is horrible. Its funny that most of the good reviews on this car are from people that only have a few thousand miles or less... mabey people should wait more than a month to rave how great a car is so people like me dont make a mistake and buy a car based on all the "good reviews"."

Technological marvel-best car I've ever owned

By on Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Pros: "Extremely economical, exiciting to drive !!"

Cons: "No rear windshield wiper-inadequate side sun visor"

"Volt is an exciting car-surprises every day. Just an unbelievable piece of engineering. This is a car you look for an excuse to drive. At any speed, it just goes about its business gliding quietly and smoothly along the highway. For the past 6 1/2 months, our Volt has returned between 50-56 miles per charge(much more than the 35 advertised, and the gas generator has averaged 48.3 MPG(more than the 37 MPG EPA rating). In short, can't say enough about this car-cost of operation is next to nothing in electric mode and have not been to a gas station in 6 1/2 months over 4000 miles of driving. And it's assembled in America, by american workers and propelled by american generated electricity."

After 38 years of Driving ...The best I've Had

By on Saturday, August 04, 2012

Pros: "Quality, Fun, 245 mpg, styling"

Cons: "No electric front seats, poor rear seat foot room."

Charging the Volt at Walgreens

"After over 10,000 miles I am getting 245 mpg. I live in the mountains and the car is great in the turns and the hills. I have owned Lexus and the quality is similar and better in a few areas. The car is fun to drive and feels like... "THE FUTURE"! I have no concerns about the quality, safety, drivability and technology and I have already recommended this car to many friends. I am an American, buying American, for what I think, are all the right reasons."

Charging the Volt at Walgreens

What an awesome car!!!

By on Friday, January 06, 2012

Pros: "too many to list! total cost of ownership is low!"

Cons: "none!"

"The Volt is an amazing vehicle that is better than anything else available on the market (and I have driven both the Prius and Nissan Leaf on more than one occasion). The Volt is stylish, sporty-fun, powerful, quiet, very comfortable and rock solid at highway speeds. People are genuinely shocked when they see it and many say "it looks better in person". When they drive it they are very surprised with its performance. But the most enjoyable thing for me about this vehicle is I simply plug the car in at night (like I would my mobile phone) and then wake up with the surreal feeling knowing my transportation needs for the day will be gas free! It really is more freedom than electric. GM truly has a winning formula with the Volt, OnStar RemoteLink, and dedicated Volt advisors which help the customer feel front and centre. David Ottawa Canada"