• 10 Best Hybrid Cars Under $30,000

2014 Chevrolet Volt Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $31,443 - $32,650.

10/6.4

Based on 180 Ratings for the 2011 - 2015 models.

Speed, comfort and extreme savings.

By on Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Pros: "Please read the full review."

Cons: "none."

"I used to have a Dodge Stratus. 13 gal tank. For the last 16 months I have owned a 2013 Volt. 9 gal tank. I drive 63 miles to work (one way) every day. I was filling the Stratus up twice a week. At an average of $3.52 per gallon x 13 gal tank = $45.72. 16 months = 140 fills of the 13 gal tank. $45.72 x 140 = $6400.80 // I fill the 9 gallon tank of the Volt on average every 11 days. At 16 months this comes to 45 fills. At an average of $3.52 per gallon x 9 gal tank = $31.65. $31.65 x 45 = $1424.25 // Total savings in gas = $4976.55 // With the Stratus I would require a $55 oil change every month. $55 x 16 = $880. For the Volt I needed one $55 oil change. Total savings in oil changes = $825. Total overall savings in gas and oil = $5801.55. My average increase in electric has been $30 per month. $30 x 16 = $480. Subtract that and the final savings and I said SAVINGS of having this amazing vehicle has been $5321.55. Those are my numbers. Beyond that, I am at 40,000 miles at 16 months of owning and am at an average of 97 mpg. Only thing else I can add is that this is no golf cart. This vehicle has some serious take off and passing speed. I have some stiff in-laws so I have been meticulous on the stats. Been the best car I have ever owned."

Amazing Electric Vehicle with NO Range Anxiety

By on Friday, January 25, 2013

Pros: "Style, Comfort, Mileage, Safety, Sound"

"I don't normally review products except when I feel something is extraordinary. I leased my 2013 Volt in October 2012 and after driving it for about 3 months including a 1000 mile trip to Southern California...I am absolutely thrilled with it! There is not one thing that I have identified as a "problem". It uses some state of the art technology (the EV/Gasoline backup system, Interior dashboard controls, and Infotainment system) that make this car so unique enjoyable to drive. Best of all you never have to worry about running out of power since the gas engine kicks in when the electric runs out and you just keep going...it's just too cool. I get about 43 miles to a full electric charge and 1600 of my 2600 miles have been electric only. I figure it costs about $1.55 to charge it fully. On my trip to and from LA...I got an average of 42MPG on Gas alone since I did not recharge it during entire the trip. Overall I am now at 82.25mpg including the long trip. Every day I use electric only....the mpg goes up higher and higher. It has amazing power for merging into fast traffic, turns on dime, is so quiet I sometimes forget it's running, and the mileage is amazing. I love the touch controls on the dash and the driving feedback panels are easy to understand and make you want to be a more efficient driver. The Bose speakers are terrific and combined with XM radio and Pandora the music never stops. OnStar (you get three years free with the vehicle) is a great added value that I have used several times already for directions. The Volt is the best car I have ever had and I would hope that this technology will be the wave of the future for autos worldwide."

Not a perfect car but saves gas...

By on Saturday, March 14, 2015

"I have a few gripes about my volt. 1. Rear seat legroom is a joke. 2. No a/c vent in backseat. 3. Backup camera not vivid like the Toyota. 4. No power seats or lumbar available Positives are: 1. Doesn't use gas very often 2. Great Bose stereo system 3. Nice styling. Aerodynamic. 4. Gets good gas mileage when using gas."

Can't imagine going back to gas after driving this

By on Monday, May 27, 2013

Pros: "Ride, handling, instant response acceleration."

Cons: "Only 4 seats. Does not have power seats."

"This car has a low center of gravity so it stays very level going around corners. It is very quiet even when driven hard. The instant response and torque of the engine makes the car very powerful in real world driving. Any gas engine car would have to make a lot of noise and fuss to beat a volt to a merge point. The Volt would just silently and suddenly surge forward when you ask it to. The"

Best car ever

By on Sunday, April 26, 2015

"At 70 I have owned many cars, Volt is the future of driving, well made fun to drive a real game changer..Turning in my 2012 for a 2015..love it."

My Fav Car Ever!

By on Monday, June 23, 2014

Pros: "Total cost to own is low, very fun to drive"

Cons: "Small, some controls are a little complex"

"It's a great price/deal if you factor in the rebates and fuel savings. Do the math - FAR better than a hybrid. Those 40 electric miles I get every day fill most of my miles at about 100 mpg equivalent. I love the way it drives - much sportier than I expected. It's quicker and handles better than any non-sports car I have ever owned, and quieter, too. Even when it uses gas it only uses it to power a generator, so it is technically always running on electricity - no loud shifting of gears! The technology and computer console is impressive and fun. This is small car that fits me perfectly, but tall or large people may feel differently. Although the quality of construction feels high, I had to give it an 8 on reliability but I confess this is based on my anti-Chevy bias. It's reliability for the past 4 years looks strong and I am hoping my first Chevy will have a repair record similar to my Toyotas and Hondas. Be smart with your research and you will want this car! OK, got to go drive it now...somewhere...anywhere..."

Use very little gas

By on Saturday, February 22, 2014

Pros: "Great gas mileage uses mostly electric"

Cons: "Cramped interior, no air AC vents for rear seats."

"Love the ride. Handles wonderfully. The major drawback that I see is that the headroom is lacking especially entering and exiting the car. I wish it had a little bit more interior room and I would also like to see it seat five people. No airconditioning vents in the rear which is a major drawback on a hot summers day. I use very little gas driving locally. I do love the hold feature which allows me to drive across alligator Alley to Naples on gas and then go back to electric. Despite having no lumbar feature or power seats most people can get pretty comfortable in this car. Would also like to see it have a little bit larger gas tank so if I decided to take a vacation out of the state I wouldn't have to fill up so many times. I'm leasing this car and my lease is up in September 2015 so I can't wait to see with the new Volt looks like, if it's a bigger version I will definitely lease or buy another one."

Never drive an ICE vehicle again

By on Thursday, January 09, 2014

"Completely thrilled with this vehicle. Bought gas last JUNE. Getting well over 200mpg. Stealth quiet drive. Absolutely zero problems with this vehicle."

great car

By on Tuesday, December 31, 2013

"able to charge at home and free at work 70 mile round trip without using any gas about $32 a month in electric"

Fun to drive, smart to own.

By on Monday, May 13, 2013

"The car has been a great blessing to me. I have enjoyed all of the special features and quiet drives. I drive less than 40 miles a day so I usually drive solely on electric but it is fun to go on road trips. I have been across the country a couple times and I don't feel sorry paying at the pump. I took a test drive just to check the car out and fell in love, I suggest you do the same. I test drove a tesla car recently and I would love to upgrade, but for the price the volt is awesome because it has the best of both worlds."

A great experience; not for everyone though

By on Thursday, May 02, 2013

"The Volt is quite the car. I commute 50 miles per day, round trip. Employer allows me to recharge during the day which worked out great during winter in central IL. Certainly this car's range is reduced in cold (and I am assuming hot) weather. Yet, even in worst of times it would go 25-30 miles on a full charge. Now getting 45+ easily during spring. Handles great, even in snow. Run-and-gunners would not get as much enjoyment from the vehicle but perhaps it may adjust driving habits. Can't think of a better car that I've owned. Now if charging stations would just be a little more popular..."

Third year with the Volt and Still Love It!

By on Monday, April 01, 2013

Pros: "It's electric! Nice fit and finish too!"

Cons: "Wish it were $7K cheaper"

"I traded in my 2008 BMW M5 for the Volt because I was getting tired of going to the gas station 2X/week (the M5 gets 12 mpg and has a small tank to boot). The fit/finish of the Volt is similar to a small BMW 3 series -- nice leather, decent sound, comfortable seating. Its handling is tight and nimble. The torque (with no sound!) is truly amazing (make sure to switch to sport mode!). I drive around SF during the week and on weekends frequently drive up to the Tahoe mountains. The flexibility of electric/gas make it a great cross-over between today and the future. I love the car and will switch to the Cadillac ELR at the end of my lease next year!"

best of many vehicles I've owned.

By on Monday, December 01, 2014

Pros: "mileage, technology that works, unique."

Cons: ""A" pillars are a bit wide."

"I had no intention of buying this car till I drove one. I had seen a few of them but they never really appealed to me so didn't consider them to be "my" type of car, and I've had a lot of new cars. Why Chevy doesn't promote this car more is a mystery to me. I can honestly say after 6 months and 2,500 I am more impressed with it each time I get in and out it. Have Nav with backup camera, Bose, rear park sensors, leather, heated seats and chrome wheels and more. This car has rock solid build quality, good driving/ riding qualities, and is really a technological marvel. I lucked out and bought at a time when they offered no interest for 72 mos. and with the federal and stated tax credits, well that was "icing on the cake". Love the smart phone app which allows status notifications of charging,tire pressures miles driven and other things. Standard remote start is great in the cold weather. I think the people at Chevy thought of just about everything to make this an outstanding vehicle. Still waiting to give the car a test in the fairly heavy snow but talk on the forums is positive."

under rated

By on Tuesday, May 05, 2015

Pros: "fun to drive, amazing MPG, sporty looking, quiet"

Cons: "not LED everywhere, but that's fixable and cheap"

"I have no idea why more people aren't talking about this car. It's amazing. I get a lot of looks and questions when people see me in it. The power is surprisingly peppy in sport mode, enough to keep me satisfied. I've owned a corvette and a Nissan 300zx, and while the volt doesn't have as much horse power, the low end torque is pretty dang fun. I've never been as satisfied with a purchase as I am with my volt! My only complaint is that I want the extra features and battery life of the 2013 and newer year, but that's my fault for not buying newer."

BEST CAR I'VE EVER OWNED.,WORK 44 MILES FROM HOME

By on Monday, December 23, 2013

Pros: "Handles Great, Beautiful Sleek Lines, Excels Great"

Cons: "Seats could be more comfortable."

"I love my Chevy Volt.. I disagree with one person who posted that it cost him a lot of money for electricity?? It's like 1.20 a day..on a household outlet..AMAZING !! A lot cheaper than all the Gas I used to use. The car handles Great..I am a woman..I used to drive BMW's, Corvette's, so I know handling on the roads.. This car hugs the road !! Excels when I need it to..I have owned the 2014 Volt for aprox 1 month now..I've only used 6 Gallons of gas..44 miles round trip to work Mon-Friday & play on the weekends."

Great value

By on Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Pros: "Solid, quiet, smooth, awesome options"

Cons: "Brakes take getting used to."

"I monitor my electrical use with a Kill-A-Watt meter.  Cool tool.  I found that average charging time is 10 hours at 1.3 kilowatts per hour.  A total of 13 kwh, (kilowatt hours).  I average 40 miles per charge. 45 on warm days and 35 on cold days. At present power rates in my area, this equates to $0.029 per mile. At present gas prices, this equates to 130 mpg. I have driven the car 1,500 miles of which 1,300 are electric. Charging cost $39. That millage in my old car would have cost a little over $200. I still have original gas in the tank. About 90 miles. Will probably make my first gas station visit in about 3 weeks. The car is very solid. Very smooth and very quiet."

Sporty, lots of torque and fun fun fun to drive.

By on Saturday, August 09, 2014

Pros: "Only get 7 gallons of gas about every 6 weeks."

Cons: "Only four seats"

"I'm averaging 123 miles per gallon after 39,000 miles. Had to rent a gas car on vacation in another city, wow, what a reality check, gas cars are doomed. Once you get used to the smooth effortless power of electric you'll never want a gas car again."

Dealership's don't carry the tire for a VOLT.

By on Monday, June 23, 2014

Pros: "saves gas, but so would a sub compact."

Cons: "flat tires are EXPENSIVE"

"Not sure if it's a problem with the type of tire. First two years I had no tire problem. This year, I've had to have it towed 3 times due to flats. The fix-a-flat would not hold in any of the flats I had. The problem with no spare is that I've had to stay in a hotel over night. In the most recent case, the dealership could not get the tire till the next day. I missed two days of work and had a hotel stay on top of the tire cost. Should a dealership carry at least one tire for any kind of car they sell? what happens when they decide to stop making this type of tire?"

It's paid for it Self in gas savings...but

By on Friday, November 15, 2013

Pros: "Gas savings, assisted parking, rear view camera"

Cons: "center stack is flaky, electronics in general"

"It's obvious in just the first two years, that this car is going to be expensive to maintain as it ages. My biggest problem is with the charger The 240-4 hours charger did not last 9 months. The company did everything they could to not honor the warranty. It was installed by an Electrician, and they wanted an electrician to verify the installation. But after waiting 15 minutes to connect to technical support, the technician didn't want to wait any longer. It was my phone and ended up getting disconnected after 25 minutes. The center console,'the center stack' as they call it, had problems from the beginning, that the dealership was unwilling to replace it. As time went on the center stack failed completely. I had the extended warranty, but there was threats that it might not be covered. Apparently it's so expensive they have to have a techinician from GM headquarters verify it's functioning before replacing the part. The center stack was never put in place correctly. Both the main display (speed and message center) and the Center Stack will complete go haywire and not display the pictures correctly, showing millions of different colored pixels. I do find the rear camera and the assisted parking valuable additions. What would make this the perfect car? Take out all the electronic gizmos and provide manual controls for the ac/heat, radio and CD/MP3 player."

Finally, a car that is fun to drive affordable!

By on Sunday, September 22, 2013

Pros: "Newer lower pricing, Fast, Quiet, Averaging 96 mpg"

Cons: "Doesn't cut the grass or do laundry..."

"I have owned 50+ vehicles and this is by far my favorite to drive. It is crazy fast in "Sport" mode, haven't purchased gas in 7 months and can take it anywhere with or without charging stations. I find it surprising that most folks don't realize you can go without buying gas when you stay in town but can also take it across country just like a "normal" car if you desire,(getting 38 mpg!) Chevy is really pricing these Volts well in the past month and if they made a mini SUV (like the Honda CRV )with this setup, I would get one for my wife. Note: I own a Mercedes facility and look forward to driving my Volt home after work everyday!"

Great one

By on Monday, July 22, 2013

Cons: "Four seater"

"Great driver, quick in traffic, 122 mpg to date, fine stable road car on 1000 mile trip on gas, gets 38 mpg on gas, 34 to 42 miles on battery charge. Absolutely trouble free for 24,000 miles to date. Best car I've had includes BMW, Porsche, Honda, VW, Volvo"

2014 Volt Rocks!

By on Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Pros: "Fun, excellent build quality, energy efficiency"

Cons: "Can't think of any..."

"Chevy Volt is a well built American made car that has exceeded our expectations for performance (its quick and extremely energy efficient), comfort and build quality. Our Volt has used about one gallon of gas and 12 dollars in electricity over the first month of ownership. We drive the car just about every day. Kudos to the GM engineers and auto workers of Michigan for building one of the most fuel efficient, fun and reliable vehicles available in America!"

Comfy, Unique Experience

By on Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Pros: "Fun to Drive, Smooth & Quiet"

Cons: "120v charge time, limited storage, 38 mile battery"

My wife loves it - see that smile?

"This car is just a pleasure to drive. The sensations are relatively unique to someone who hasn't owned an electric before. I LOVE driving this machine - so smooth and quiet. It makes me smile to get the rush of acceleration without noise or exhaust. My fuel cost savings minus electricity cost is generating a HUGE savings over the Pontiac SUV it replaces. AWESOME"

My wife loves it - see that smile?

Can't stop smiling

By on Saturday, December 20, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, comfortable, versatile, economical"

Cons: "rear seat room, poor marketing of product"

"I've been driving for several decades and I suffer from Goldilocks syndrome, finding a vehicle I look forward to driving daily. I like the ability to solar charge my car at home while none of the range anxiety the pure electrics produce. It is a pleasure to drive, has the perfect blend of form and function. I haven't owned a GM vehicle in nearly 35 years, this brought me back. Amazing car, hope they make an CUV or SUV soon."

One of the very best vehicles I have ever owned

By on Tuesday, September 02, 2014

Pros: "great mileage,fit and finish, handling, fun to dri"

Cons: "No power drivers seat."

"I originally bought a 2013 Volt, and my wife hated the black, so after 20,000 miles in 10 months, I decided to get her favorite color, white. We never had the '13 back to the dealer, except for an oil change, minor maint. great car no problems at all. scale of 1-10, i give it a 10.No one would ever believe the trade I got for it. With all rebates, credits, EPA rebate, suppliers discount, GM rebate,I could not keep a car with 20,000 miles on it, so i traded. Cost was about $150.00 total for a new car with no miles on it. '14 Volt is in the same category, no problems at all, great car. My wife drives it most of the time, and always has the air on high, or heater on high, and doesn't know how to be economical, but we still average over 149 MPG. We have used 67 gal of gas for 10,000 miles. Our gas purchases went from $350-$400 a month to around $100. Pays for itself in gas savings. I highly recommend this car to anyone that likes to thumb their nose at the gas refineries."