• 10 Best Hybrid Cars Under $30,000

2014 Chevrolet Volt Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $31,686 - $32,678.

10/6.4

Based on 162 Ratings for the 2011 - 2015 models.

I love this car!

By on Monday, September 17, 2012

Pros: "Everything, fun, looks good, tons of features"

Cons: "Reverse light not very bright, no power seat"

"I leased my 2012 Volt about a month ago and have been thrilled with it so far. I am able to get about 50 miles pretty consistently on a charge (driving conservatively which is kind of a fun challenge). I have had many premium brand luxury vehicles and I would prefer to have this car. It is awesome to think about how little it costs me to drive every day. I live in IL and am on the Real Time Pricing so my costs for electricity are extremely low. I have been such an advocate for this car that I have a friend that has already purchased a Volt too. This is a unique, fun to drive, vehicle that not only looks good, but performs great! This vehicle is a game changer. I know that it is pretty expensive, but it is really well worth the price. I cannot wait till more people adopt this technology and we start to see more public charging stations all around. In fact it would be pretty cool to see some gas stations begin to adopt electric charging stations."

Easily The Best Car I Have Ever Owned Or Driven

By on Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Pros: "Efficient, Fun to drive, Very comfortable"

Cons: "Price, Oddly no power seats in an electric car"

"I recently leased a 2013 Volt and will probably go way over the standard mileage! That is okay though because compared to my last vehicle (a Chevy Silverado) I still save money per mile. First and most importantly, this car is fun to drive. It has close to the same amount of torque as my 5.3L V-8 Silverado has, so it really takes off when you push the accelerator. This acceleration is even better in Sport mode, although this will lower the electric range to drive that way. I have driven a $150,000 Ferrari but still find this car to be much more comfortable and fun to drive. Second, the efficiency of this vehicle is excellent. I average about 40 miles on a charge with moderate air conditioning turned on, and around 45 miles when using just the fan. As a series hybrid it is also very efficient in gasoline mode. On a 120 mile trip using the Hold function (which forces it to use gas) I averaged 39 miles per gallon at 72mph. This is better than most compact cars, and this car is awesome to drive or ride in. I had also considered the Ford Focus EV or Nissan Leaf but that would cause extreme range anxiety. I need to own a car that does not NEED to be charged for 16 hours between every 75-mile segment of driving. That could work for someone who will only use the car for a daily commute but even the Volt can handle one of those on electricity and still operate without charging. Many reviewers have complained about all the screens and buttons, but I love the amount of information and control. I am a pilot and have flown complex aircraft, so maybe I am just more used to this, but to me it makes driving much easier. This car will tell you anything you need to know and let you control so much at once. I can Bluetooth my iPhone to it, press a button on the wheel, and tell the car to play a certain song or playlist through its excellent Bose sound system. You can access weather, movie times, and fuel prices through XM radio on the touchscreen. Plugging an iPod, iPhone, or any other MP3 player into the USB port in the center console allows you to basically control the device from the touchscreen. You can scroll through artists, playlists, and almost anything else. My Volt does not have the navigation system option, so it does not have a built in 30GB hard drive for music, but a 160GB iPod in the center console replaces that! I do however find it odd that the Volt, an electric vehicle, does not have power seat controls. This is not really a problem, just a bit strange. I love this car and highly recommend it to anyone who can get a good deal on a lease. Understandably it is difficult to justify the purchase of a car that would take at least 8 years to pay off the difference with fuel savings, but in my case a 2 year lease SAVES money!"

Beyond Expectations

By on Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Pros: "Great MPG, good acceleration, quiet ride, looker"

Cons: "No sunroof option"

"This car is honestly the best car I have ever owned. The MPG has exceeded expectations. I have filled up the tank once in the first 4,000 miles and currently averaging 452 MPG. I have a round trip commute of 48 miles and have been able to get back and forth on electric only 95% of time. I have taken 200 mile road trip, and averaged 48 MPG in gas mode, when it's only rated at 40 on the HWY. The secret to this vehicle is that it is an electric drive train, and when the battery gets enough energy from the engine, it will turn the motor off and drive for a couple of miles on electric only. The interior is quiet, stereo is great as there isn't intrusion from engine noise changing the sound. This car has been great. So Great we ended up buying a second one. Highly recommended."

Chevy hits a home run!

By on Monday, September 10, 2012

Pros: "So many! Can't say enough!"

Cons: "None."

"I typically I drive 450 miles per week and use little or no gas. Sometimes charging for an hour during lunch, if I get a lunch, to help achieve gas free driving. I am on a real-time pricing plan in Illinois with standard utility company, and it rarely costs me more than 30 cents to get a full charge overnight! That gets me about 45 - 50 miles of warm weather driving. Compared to my outgoing car getting 29 MPG, this car will completely pay for itself in 12 years. How many cars can say that? The most I have gotten so far is 2700 miles on 7.4 gallons of gas. Driving conservatively, about 2 - 3 seconds behind semi trucks, I got 49 MPG on my last 400 mile trip (54 MPG if you include the electric portion) averaging 68 MPH. The car is a head turner and conversation starter. Many compliments on how nice it looks. The ride is amazing. All my teenage kids' friends love when I drive them in it. With 273 lb-ft of torque, the car accelerates well and does it peacefully. The trunk/hatch is a little small. I put a light-duty trailer hitch on the car and tow a light-weight trailer with two 50 gal plastic bins strapped down for all our gear. The car had NO trouble in the hills of West Virginia. Couldn't even tell there was a trailer back there."

Love this car more than my Caddy's

By on Monday, September 10, 2012

Pros: "Instant feedback on driving style & mileage"

"I attended a Volt owners workshop recently.  About 35 owners were there.  We all said we bought the car for economic reasons or ecological reasons, or both.  To a person, we fell in love with the ride!  So much fun to drive and what a smooth ride! I owned 2 awesome Cad. Sevilles.  Loved them both.  Wouldn't trade my Volt for both of them.  I have been to the gas station twice in 11 months.   Using a Kill-A-Watt meter, I found it takes 13 kwh's to charge the car.  10 actual hours at 1.3 kwh's per.  Found about 5 other reviews using the meter & all agreed on the 13 kwh number.  If you want to find your cost to charge, find your cost per kwh in your area and multiply that by 13.  You should get about 40-44 miles per charge in the city.  35 - 40 on the freeway.  My cost per mile is 2.8 cents, city driving. At $4 a gal. That equates to 142 mpg after charging costs."