2014 Chevrolet Volt Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $31,858 - $32,798.

10/6.4

Based on 161 Ratings for the 2011 - 2015 models.

Glad I waited and glad I bought it

By on Tuesday, March 12, 2013

"I was interested in this car when I first heard about the concept in about 2006 or so. When it was time to replace my 1996 Chevy Cavalier 165,000 miles the Volt was not available so I went with the Honda Civic hybrid. I was satisfied with the car and unlike some averaged 47 miles per gallon with it. When the 2013 Volt came out with the "Hold" feature I thought I would take a look since my commute is 42 miles round trip with a two mile long 10% grade hill. The version I picked had a sticker price of almost $42000. Wow, but with the $7500 federal rebate, $3500 state rebate, about $3000 off the sticker price, $2000 cash back from Chevy, and 0% financing the deal was tough to pass up. $26000 is not that much more than a similar equipped Camery and the like. The car drives great. So far the best range I have gotten is 50 miles on days with the high temperature around 60F and the worst range has been 35 miles with high temperature around 20F. The total energy usage (gas + electricity) so far has been between $40 per month in November to $50 in January traveling about 1,000 per month. Yes it might not break even for a very long time compared a Honda Fit but these cars really can't compare. Saying the Volt will not make up the price difference over a $15000 car might be true but it's is not a $15000 car."

Fantastic driving experience

By on Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Pros: "Fuel efficient, fun to drive, best styling"

Cons: "4 seats, poor promotion"

"I like my 2013 Volt so much I bought a second one. The Volt is all around a great car. Average gas mileage has been about 150 MPG when factoring both gas and electric usage. Went on a couple of long trips just on gas and got around 38 MPG. But it is best around town and short trips where we use almost exclusively electric. When going for test drives at different dealerships, no one had a Volt with a charge. They obviously do not know how to promote this car or realize what they have."

What is a car worth

By on Saturday, February 15, 2014

Pros: "great car to drive and safe"

Cons: "charging stations are not in the GUI gas is"

"Why do you buy a car? How does it preform? What it is or will be worth investment? Fun or pleasure or work? If these are your desires do not ever buy a car. Cars are not an investment and will never bring back what you paid for it. Cars ware out some quicker than others even the best car. Now about my Volt, I did not buy it for an investment but what a car should be bought for is how much will it cost me to keep it up for the time I will own it. Thus far over 100 miles to a gallon of gas and yes I expect to buy gas as needed. Comfortable to drive, easy on the eyes and the Voice Commands keep me from touching the Stack buttons. Change a radio station by voice only, make a call and many other things without taking my eyes of the road. your old style changing station the one you plug up will be in the past soon check out http://web.ornl.gov EV wireless charging. I commend GM for the first and only car of its kind as in anything new there will be problems, but in time it will get better. meanwhile I will enjoy this car as it is."

Pays for Itself

By on Tuesday, December 03, 2013

Pros: "Pays you to drive it"

Cons: "Becomes a 40 mpg hybrid for long trips."

"KBB is being unfair to call the Volt expensive. You can get a new Volt for $26,685 with fed tax credit ($34,185 without). That's exactly in line with the average new car sale price in the USA, currently. (google it) I'm literally saving $2,000/year on gas (i.e. $10K in 5yr!). My electric bill went up by $30/mo. The external wall-mounted charger that Chevy offers is not made by Chevy and yes it has issues(that some reviewer below complained about) is NOT the charger that people in the know buy. Everybody is buying the Clipper Creek LCS-25 charger, which is very rugged. I have the LCS-25 and it's awesome. Take other comments (like center console issues) with a big grain of salt: statistically the Volt has proven to be above average reliability. In particular, powertrain problems are very very rare. My Volt has given me zero problems. The only other car I'd buy is a Tesla (but it's out of my price range at present. There was a slightly misfit panel on the car where it met the bumper, when I got it. I got that realigned; all's perfect now."

Can't imagine going back to gas after driving this

By on Monday, May 27, 2013

Pros: "Ride, handling, instant response acceleration."

Cons: "Only 4 seats. Does not have power seats."

"This car has a low center of gravity so it stays very level going around corners. It is very quiet even when driven hard. The instant response and torque of the engine makes the car very powerful in real world driving. Any gas engine car would have to make a lot of noise and fuss to beat a volt to a merge point. The Volt would just silently and suddenly surge forward when you ask it to. The"