2014 Chevrolet Volt Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $31,300 - $32,584.

10/6.4

Based on 190 Ratings for the 2011 - 2015 models.

Absolutely the finest car that I have ever owned!

By on Sunday, June 30, 2013

Pros: "MPG, Reliable, Eco-friendly, Sound System = A+++++"

Cons: "For this size and type of car ... no "cons"."

"This car is outstanding! Nicest car I have ever owned (and I've owned a Prius, Corvettes, Volvo convertible sport car, Alpha Romero, etc.). When I purchased the Volt, I received five years of free "On-Star", regular maintenance (with loaner car), and emergency road service. With the $7,500 tax credit, it was totally worth the price! I have 10K miles on the car and am getting 145+ miles per gallon. I've used 68 gallons of gas since I bought the car new. I am a left-leg amputee and this car has more leg room for me than some large sedans. Wonderful craftsmanship and attention to detail. The concert quality sound system will blow you away!"

No V8 comes close to the quiet smooth power.

By on Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Pros: "Performance of the electric drive is superior."

Cons: "Not wanting to dive my other ICE cars."

"I charge my Volt on a standard 120v charger which is standard equipment that comes with the car. There is not need for a 240v charger. The first full year I went to a gas station one time to get 9 gallons of gas for the generator which only runs when I need it. My commute is 10.5miles of hard city stop and go driving up and down the hills of western PA. last year 8300 miles cost me less than $275.. I'm very happy with that. I was back to the dealer one time to have the tires rotated. No oil changes and only one trip to the gas station. Less than $275 for total maintenance gas and electricity. I have a wattmeter on the charger that tells me how much it costs to charge the car. I agree with 128,000 SAE automotive engineers from around the world who voted the CHEVY VOLT as the BEST ENGINEERED CAR ON THE ROAD TODAY."

Most fun driving ever!

By on Sunday, August 25, 2013

Pros: "quick, green, handling"

Cons: "could use a bit more soft materials in interior"

"Almost looked past the Volt, as have never been a GM fan- but wanted great mpg and needed it to be quick/smooth- not a Prius type hybrid boring drive. Volt is the best ever- a mini-Tesla. Love the fact it still runs as an electric car even when battery is depleted and gas engine runs battery generator. Smoothest, most quiet car ever and is not lathargic like most hybrids. Test drive one and you will be sold."

Best Car Ever

By on Thursday, December 05, 2013

Pros: "The car will pay for itself."

Cons: "No "DC fast charge" capability."

"Here is the best thing anyone could say: If the car were to get totaled, I would DEFINITELY buy another Volt. After owning the car for 20 months, I have over 41,000 miles, 28k+ on electric. I do a 900 mile trip about every 6 weeks. Did my first oil change at 40k miles. Saved about $2500 on gas the first year. Performs well in snow. Anyone I meet that owns one is absolutely giddy about the car. Electric bill went up about $6-$8 per month utilizing Illinois' "Residential Real-Time Pricing" plan. Cheap overnight charging. Unless on a trip, only use about 2 gallons of gas per month. Being a 2012 model, the usable battery is 10.3 kW (2013/14 models have 10.8kW). After all my use, I still get 10.1 to 10.2 kW of use before the gas engine kicks in. Not much degradation there. In the summer, I average 50 miles to a charge. When the temp is around 40, I average 40 miles to a charge. Below freezing, with the heat and defrosters going, 25-30 miles to a charge. On gas, I get 41-45 MPG hwy and once got 50 MPG while driving super conservatively. I get 39 MPG hwy while towing a small trailer. About 38 MPG city."

Pays for Itself

By on Tuesday, December 03, 2013

Pros: "Pays you to drive it"

Cons: "Becomes a 40 mpg hybrid for long trips."

"KBB is being unfair to call the Volt expensive. You can get a new Volt for $26,685 with fed tax credit ($34,185 without). That's exactly in line with the average new car sale price in the USA, currently. (google it) I'm literally saving $2,000/year on gas (i.e. $10K in 5yr!). My electric bill went up by $30/mo. The external wall-mounted charger that Chevy offers is not made by Chevy and yes it has issues(that some reviewer below complained about) is NOT the charger that people in the know buy. Everybody is buying the Clipper Creek LCS-25 charger, which is very rugged. I have the LCS-25 and it's awesome. Take other comments (like center console issues) with a big grain of salt: statistically the Volt has proven to be above average reliability. In particular, powertrain problems are very very rare. My Volt has given me zero problems. The only other car I'd buy is a Tesla (but it's out of my price range at present. There was a slightly misfit panel on the car where it met the bumper, when I got it. I got that realigned; all's perfect now."