2014 Chevrolet Volt Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $31,408 - $32,481.

10/6.4

Based on 170 Ratings for the 2011 - 2015 models.

My favorit car

By on Thursday, August 28, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive and one time tax credit"

Cons: "no spare tire small air comprssor to fix flat"

"I love this car! 68 mpg lifetime. 142 mpg on this last tank of gas. My electric bill did not go through the roof. It costs about $1 a charge. Most of my driving can be done in electric but when I run out of electric car goes seamlessly into gas mode. On a trip last summer when I could not charge I still got 40mpg driving at highway speeds of 75mph using the AC. When lease is up I will be leasing another."

First Chevy I've owned in 30 years

By on Thursday, August 21, 2014

Pros: "Smooth and Quiet. I love avoid the gas station"

Cons: "No back seat, need to improve generator efficiency"

"Pros: This car is an amazing breakthrough in technology. Electric drive cars have a much smoother and quieter acceleration that gasoline cars. It is really a pleasure to drive this car. My average MPG has been over 100 with about 2/3rd of the time on the battery and 1/3rd of the time on the generator. Electric cars are the future. They are cleaner, better for the environment, less costly to run, and better for our economy because electric power is domestically produced. Cons: They need a hard cover for the trunk area and it would be better if the card didn't have a big divider between the two back seats. Also more leg and headroom in the back would be better. Power adjustable seats in the front would be better. Whenever you have a large electric motor there is some EMF created. I measured it and it is not too bad but GM should take care to shield the cabin more. Long term EMF exposure is somewhat of a concern for me. GM should also consider using a skate board chassis that they pioneered and that Tesla uses. Not that it matters much for overall efficiency since people tend to use the battery about 2/3rd of the time and the generator about 1/3rd of the time but if GM increase the efficiency statistics when the car is running on the generator this would help with marketing. They need to hit the critical 50 MPG mark. Finally, GM might consider going to the EPA with their statistics and asking them to allow the true OVERALL gasoline mileage statics on the vehicle instead of the MPG for just the gasoline generator. The vehicle probably average over 70 MPG. This is what GM should be advertising and the EPA should allow this. The government wants more of these vehicles sold and the higher mileage statistics would help appeal to the customer. Otherwise the consumer gets 38MPG stuck in their head."

Fantastic driving experience

By on Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Pros: "Fuel efficient, fun to drive, best styling"

Cons: "4 seats, poor promotion"

"I like my 2013 Volt so much I bought a second one. The Volt is all around a great car. Average gas mileage has been about 150 MPG when factoring both gas and electric usage. Went on a couple of long trips just on gas and got around 38 MPG. But it is best around town and short trips where we use almost exclusively electric. When going for test drives at different dealerships, no one had a Volt with a charge. They obviously do not know how to promote this car or realize what they have."

Sporty, lots of torque and fun fun fun to drive.

By on Saturday, August 09, 2014

Pros: "Only get 7 gallons of gas about every 6 weeks."

Cons: "Only four seats"

"I'm averaging 123 miles per gallon after 39,000 miles. Had to rent a gas car on vacation in another city, wow, what a reality check, gas cars are doomed. Once you get used to the smooth effortless power of electric you'll never want a gas car again."

A glimpse into the future

By on Saturday, August 09, 2014

Pros: "Economy, Reliability and Driving experience"

Cons: "Sales persons not knowledgeable about the Volt"

"We have had our 2014 Volt for close to 6 months now. 93% of our driving has been pure EV, with the gasoline range extender only having been used infrequently on days we drive over 50 miles. Our average fuel economy to date works out to 416 MPG if you factor in the gasoline it has used. More importantly, with an EV - we monitor Kwh used per 100 miles, and to date we average 28 KwH/100 miles. We drive about 1000 miles/ month with the Volt, and average commute to/from work is around 30 miles round trip. The Volt has been 100% reliable. It has not been back to the dealer, had any service or problems since we own it. It hasn't made any trips to the gas station yet either! We find the car is very comfortable up front. I am 6' plus and over 300# and find the driving position very good. The back seats are tight, but even a big guy like me has squeezed in there for short 30 minute trips and been fine. The back seat is just fine for kids or smaller adults. Storage with the hatch back is great. This is our second car. We have a big chevy Tahoe for long family trips when we travel with kids and the dogs. The Volt is not made for this. However, for the average commuter driving to work daily or running errands around town - the Volt is simply brilliant. We have a grid tied solar PV array on our roof, and knowing I can charge the battery with surplus electrical power I generate puts a huge smile on my face. The car has very good acceleration, thanks to all that torque from the electric motor. Handling is solid and sure footed. Being such a heavy car it does very well in rain and slushy roads. The brakes are outstanding and I love the fact that you can select how much regenerative force they provide. Overall we are extremely satisfied with the Volt. A car like this needs to fit your lifestyle to be fully appreciated. Sure they are not inexpensive, but then purchasing any vehicle is never about making a sound financial choice....it is a convenience and an emotional purchase. For us, with a small family and lots of pets, the Volt makes a perfect second car since we already have a large family hauler in the fleet. Conclusion....we love our Volt...and can't wait to see what the new 2016's will bring."