2014 Chevrolet Volt Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $31,974 - $32,883.

10/6.4

Based on 158 Ratings for the 2011 - 2015 models.

Fantastic driving experience

By on Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Pros: "Fuel efficient, fun to drive, best styling"

Cons: "4 seats, poor promotion"

"I like my 2013 Volt so much I bought a second one. The Volt is all around a great car. Average gas mileage has been about 150 MPG when factoring both gas and electric usage. Went on a couple of long trips just on gas and got around 38 MPG. But it is best around town and short trips where we use almost exclusively electric. When going for test drives at different dealerships, no one had a Volt with a charge. They obviously do not know how to promote this car or realize what they have."

Sporty, lots of torque and fun fun fun to drive.

By on Saturday, August 09, 2014

Pros: "Only get 7 gallons of gas about every 6 weeks."

Cons: "Only four seats"

"I'm averaging 123 miles per gallon after 39,000 miles. Had to rent a gas car on vacation in another city, wow, what a reality check, gas cars are doomed. Once you get used to the smooth effortless power of electric you'll never want a gas car again."

A glimpse into the future

By on Saturday, August 09, 2014

Pros: "Economy, Reliability and Driving experience"

Cons: "Sales persons not knowledgeable about the Volt"

"We have had our 2014 Volt for close to 6 months now. 93% of our driving has been pure EV, with the gasoline range extender only having been used infrequently on days we drive over 50 miles. Our average fuel economy to date works out to 416 MPG if you factor in the gasoline it has used. More importantly, with an EV - we monitor Kwh used per 100 miles, and to date we average 28 KwH/100 miles. We drive about 1000 miles/ month with the Volt, and average commute to/from work is around 30 miles round trip. The Volt has been 100% reliable. It has not been back to the dealer, had any service or problems since we own it. It hasn't made any trips to the gas station yet either! We find the car is very comfortable up front. I am 6' plus and over 300# and find the driving position very good. The back seats are tight, but even a big guy like me has squeezed in there for short 30 minute trips and been fine. The back seat is just fine for kids or smaller adults. Storage with the hatch back is great. This is our second car. We have a big chevy Tahoe for long family trips when we travel with kids and the dogs. The Volt is not made for this. However, for the average commuter driving to work daily or running errands around town - the Volt is simply brilliant. We have a grid tied solar PV array on our roof, and knowing I can charge the battery with surplus electrical power I generate puts a huge smile on my face. The car has very good acceleration, thanks to all that torque from the electric motor. Handling is solid and sure footed. Being such a heavy car it does very well in rain and slushy roads. The brakes are outstanding and I love the fact that you can select how much regenerative force they provide. Overall we are extremely satisfied with the Volt. A car like this needs to fit your lifestyle to be fully appreciated. Sure they are not inexpensive, but then purchasing any vehicle is never about making a sound financial choice....it is a convenience and an emotional purchase. For us, with a small family and lots of pets, the Volt makes a perfect second car since we already have a large family hauler in the fleet. Conclusion....we love our Volt...and can't wait to see what the new 2016's will bring."

Glides through traffic like "Liquid Lightning"

By on Sunday, August 03, 2014

Pros: "Great savings on gas. Super smooth, fast, fun!"

Cons: "Hands-free Siri wasn't yet available on the 2012."

A fun vanity plate for your EV is always a plus!

"Super fast, fun ride. Great economy. I work only 12 miles from home, so I rarely run on gasoline, but it's great peace of mind to know my car will effortlessly shift to gasoline should I run out of juice on my battery. I've owned my 2012 since April 2012, and so far (August 2014) I've only put in 34 gallons of gasoline. It's costing me between 30 and 50 cents a day to recharge the batteries. I have a 220V Blink unit in my garage and it typically charges in 2 to 4 hours. I purchased the 5-year extended Warranty. I love the premium package with the seat heaters, 3 years of OnStar and roadside assistance. Actually love EVERYTHING about my 2012."

A fun vanity plate for your EV is always a plus!

I want this car!!!!!

By on Wednesday, July 30, 2014

I want this car

Pros: "Great looking, comfortable, reliable, good on gas."

Cons: "Only holds 4 people."

"I love this car. Someone in my family owns this and I would love to get one too. They love it especially with the gas prices that we have now.... Love it and it is very comfortable car."

Excellent Value after Rebates

By on Tuesday, July 08, 2014

Pros: "$$$ savings, great accel for what it provides"

Cons: "Getting in/out slightly awkward for tall people"

"After National ($7500) and State ($3916) Rebates paid only $23500 for this car (of note, was a show model, bought with about 3800 miles, vs similarly packaged cruze listing for around $24000). Have owned it about 1 year, had one mechanical issue that was resolved quickly. Similar in size to the Chevy Cruze, but with leather interior, NAV and all the other bells and whistles, the Volt came out far ahead in financial calculations. At .08 cents a KWH, it costs me about $1 to go between 25 and 40 miles depending on the time of the year. Approx 1/4 the cost of gas. The design interior went futuristic with what appears to be touch sensitive plastic for the center console, did not like this hence the 8 on design, but outside of that, interior is nicely done. Comfort took a hit as I am 6'5", I found it took a little extra effort to get in and out of the car, but once in, I fit very nicely with room to spare. Was able to get a passenger in the front seat that was 6'8" and another passenger in behind him on a trip, while not ideal for long trips, it is doable for rides under 2-3 hours. One of my favorite perks.... typically has about 8 gallons of usable gas before the low fuel alert comes on, I have been getting between 650 miles (winter) and 2400 miles (Summer) between fill-ups, saving time at the gas station. Of note, the majority of my driving does fit into the electric range of this vehicle, the engine will also kick in occasionally (to keep the engine warm) despite having electric charge remaining when the temp goes below 25F, and the car is rated 37mpg on gas power although I have obtained closer to 43mpg when on longer trips with cruise control set at 65mph. Would check with the State and Fed first to see if the rebates are still available, and if so, how much.... IL is not the only state that offers a rebate."

Cant imagine owning anything other than a volt!

By on Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Pros: "Not worrying about gas prices."

Cons: "Nothing"

"This car has delivered on everything I had hoped for. I spend 90% of the time on the battery. I love that I can take long trips if I want and not worry about finding a charging station because the gas gen takes care of me, or have to own a second car, or rent a car. I think Chevy got it right with this car."

Dealership's don't carry the tire for a VOLT.

By on Monday, June 23, 2014

Pros: "saves gas, but so would a sub compact."

Cons: "flat tires are EXPENSIVE"

"Not sure if it's a problem with the type of tire. First two years I had no tire problem. This year, I've had to have it towed 3 times due to flats. The fix-a-flat would not hold in any of the flats I had. The problem with no spare is that I've had to stay in a hotel over night. In the most recent case, the dealership could not get the tire till the next day. I missed two days of work and had a hotel stay on top of the tire cost. Should a dealership carry at least one tire for any kind of car they sell? what happens when they decide to stop making this type of tire?"

My Fav Car Ever!

By on Monday, June 23, 2014

Pros: "Total cost to own is low, very fun to drive"

Cons: "Small, some controls are a little complex"

"It's a great price/deal if you factor in the rebates and fuel savings. Do the math - FAR better than a hybrid. Those 40 electric miles I get every day fill most of my miles at about 100 mpg equivalent. I love the way it drives - much sportier than I expected. It's quicker and handles better than any non-sports car I have ever owned, and quieter, too. Even when it uses gas it only uses it to power a generator, so it is technically always running on electricity - no loud shifting of gears! The technology and computer console is impressive and fun. This is small car that fits me perfectly, but tall or large people may feel differently. Although the quality of construction feels high, I had to give it an 8 on reliability but I confess this is based on my anti-Chevy bias. It's reliability for the past 4 years looks strong and I am hoping my first Chevy will have a repair record similar to my Toyotas and Hondas. Be smart with your research and you will want this car! OK, got to go drive it now...somewhere...anywhere..."

an excellent match for my driving situation

By on Saturday, June 21, 2014

Pros: "i have not added gasoline since 2003"

"why does gm not advertise this car. It is a great design"

Love this car

By on Saturday, June 21, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, economical"

Cons: "doesn't run as well when gas kicks in- but not bad"

"I just drive around town so mostly on electric miles. I have only bought gas once in 6 months!"

LOVE IT, ONLY SEE THE GAS STATIONS AS I DRIVE BY!

By on Sunday, June 15, 2014

Pros: "Who needs gas, NOT ME!! great in snow & ice"

Cons: "It is very low to the ground."

"I have had this vehicle for just about one year. I am a commuter and spend two hours a day in this car. I love it. I have put on 17000 miles since I bought it one year ago, and have only visited the gas station a total of 7 times (this was only during the really cold winter, none in the summer), and have only paid about $70 dollars worth of gas total. I have not seen an increase in my electric bill like they said I may. I drive in to the city from the country and have not had any problems driving in snow or ice, even with the low clearance, it has just plowed right through it. My husband and I were worried about the initial output of money to purchase, but we have since figured out even with the higher car payment we are saving almost $800 dollars a month (no I'm not joking or exaggerating). Even with this car being an electric, it has get up and go. I never have to worry about getting up to speed to get on the highway (I have a lead foot, and it keeps me very happy), though the faster you press the car, the less charge you get from it overall.I would recommend this car to anyone who is looking to get away from the gas pumps."

I'm FUMING MAD concerning the AMAZING Chevy VOLT!

By on Wednesday, June 04, 2014

Pros: "Responsive, Silent, & Rarely Buy Gas!"

Cons: "Aren't as many on the road as there should be."

"This car is a huge environmental breakthrough. We have had this car since Sept 2013 and have yet to buy gas. We charge it up with the 110 Volt We live on a hill and within a drive of a few miles our range quickly rises from 41 to 54 miles (which we assume is tops). After running our errands we return home with very little reduction in range from when we departed, usually about 37 miles. Almost Never having to buy gas should go a long way towards people making their car payments. So, I'm mad that Chevy isn't advertising the Volt more. I NEVER see ads for them. I'm mad that some idiot reviewed the Volt and said it cost him $400/mile to drive and that other people are so anxious to forward such nonsense. I'm mad that people are driving their gas hogs and expecting everyone else on the planet to pay for their greediness and pollution. Wise up and buy a VOLT. The VOLT is part of the solution. We LOVE our Volt."

GM delivered exactly what they promised in 2007

By on Monday, May 26, 2014

Pros: "Great Price after rebates! Fun to drive. NO GAS!"

Cons: "None yet."

"Back in 2007, GM promised us a car that would go 40 miles on electricity, and then a gas generator would kick in for another 300 miles. They claimed this would cover a vast majority of commuters in all-electric mode. I wasn't able to afford the Volt when it was first released in 2011, but now as the owner of a 2014 Volt, I can say that GM delivered on that promise! I am so happy with my Volt. It does exactly what it promised. I commute 31 miles to work, plug in at work, and then 31 miles home again...not a drop of gas. The Volt has all the best technology and creature comforts. It really is a pleasure to drive. The best part? I needed a new car, but didn't want to spend a lot of money. In 2014, the MSRP is $35K. I purchased mine for $30,800. With a federal tax credit of $7,500 and Illinois rebate of $3,500, I end up paying less than $20,000 for a brand new ultimate EREV! If I couple in the gas savings over the next few years, the story gets even better. For the money, I can't imagine a better vehicle. Things I would like to see in the future: - heated seats on every model (not as an option) - heated steering wheel - by 2020, a battery with double the range. Go drive one of these. Put it in sport mode and stomp on the accelerator! This car is hands-down the most fun to drive of any vehicle I've owned. I have never in my life actually looked for reasons to drive a car. But I truly enjoy slipping off to the store for milk in complete electric silence. Advice: - Negotiate on price...you can probably do better than I did - Take advantage of rebates/tax credits (Illinois also has rebate for installing 240V chargers). - Try not to drive above 65 if you can avoid it (but you still get 37mpg if you run out of juice) - Use L instead of D, and you'll regenerate a lot more. If you're on the fence...do it! You'll be glad you did!"

12 days in the service department first 5100 miles

By on Friday, May 23, 2014

Pros: "Interior"

Cons: "Reliability"

"I bought a volt in October of 2013, and immediately it had a CEL for charging system coolant failure. 3 days later I get my car back after driving it only 1 day and was told I must have used the brakes too much. 5000 miles later it is back in the shop for another CEL for charging system coolant failure. 9 days later they replace a coolant pump for the charging system and hope they have it fixed. Who knows."

On my last 5 gallons I traveled 3958.8 miles

By on Friday, May 23, 2014

I don't own this car

Pros: "It's the best car I have ever had"

Cons: "With the lease I could only drive it six days/week"

"Very reliable, very stable, in "normal mode" it's very easy to drive, in "sport mode" it accelerates like a 250 horse power engine, It's easy to get up to 70 miles per hour on a freeway on ramp, regenerative braking works so well I THINK THE BRAKES WILL NEVER WEAR OUT. It's so nice not to go into a gas station every week, I go only about every three months. In mountain driving I could accelerate up the hills in "mountain mode" with the engine running. t's a great car!!!!"

This is where cars of the future will be!

By on Thursday, May 15, 2014

Pros: "FUN, FAST, COSTS SO LITTLE TO DRIVE!"

Cons: "Expensive initial investment, getting better!"

"Chevy got it RIGHT with the VOLT! We LOVE this car! Some day you'll say "Remember when cars only ran on Gasoline?" Remember when the first battery operated drills came out with 6 volt, then 12 volt and then Lithium-Ion Batteries! It will only get BETTER! We have averaged over 90 MPG for the first 10,000 miles of driving! By managing the battery/engine usage I have managed over 60 miles on one electric charge on a 150 mile trip. You only hear a hum when the engine starts, you don't feel it and it is seamless. This is a GREAT CAR! Fun to drive, FAST off the line, easily hits 90+ mph. Minor interior finish issues, but the car is the future!"

Great car BAD PRESS!

By on Wednesday, May 07, 2014

Pros: "Drives and looks great! Suede seats. Stats onsta"

Cons: "Can't think of one."

"I have been looking at the Volt for the past four years. The thing that concerned me was the EPA 38EV mile rating. Recently I checked it out on Volt Stats, these are real world Volt stats, and they are impressive. Some of the people are at 98.9% EV miles. I said I don’t want to be a nut; I want to enjoy the car. Well folds we purchased 2014 Volt Saturday, and we have now put 223 miles on it in less than three days, and 217 are EV miles that is equals 97% EV miles. I drove the car to Costco with my wife on Saturday, and got 51 EV miles on a charge. The roundtrip was 56 miles, so 90% of my drive was EV miles. I drive a Corvette, and the Silverado like it is a Corvette, so I am not considered a conservative driver. My point is you don’t have to be and ultra conservative driver to easily beat the EPA estimate or most driver from the light. The instant torque at zero rpm is wonderful! The dealer filled the tank, which I thought was humorous. We didn’t buy the car to put gas in it; we have a Corvette that burns gas and rubber very well. My wife didn’t inform me that she could charge at work, until we were well into the purchasing the car. We bought the car, because we plan to drive it a lot! We have a Corvette, and Silverado. The Corvette has had zero miles put on it since we got the Volt home, and the Silverado 10 miles. We will use them for their intended purposes fun, and work. We live out of the city, and plum nearly out of the country. The road off the highway is awful! It is like and old washing rub board. The Volt rides better than the Silverado that has a much longer wheelbase, and is quitter. You can’t even tell it is same road. I was very impressed. It has the brownstone color, that doesn’t show dirt. We are lot more impressed owning the car, than the test drive. There is nothing like it for the money!"

LOVE THIS CAR!

By on Thursday, May 01, 2014

Pros: "AMERICAN and fun to drive"

Cons: "Wish I had another one."

"Was spending about 350 bucks per month on gas, now not much at all. I have a 3200 Sq foot home and my electric bill ws $77. last month and I charge it EVERYDAY. Would buy another today!"

Speed, comfort and extreme savings.

By on Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Pros: "Please read the full review."

Cons: "none."

"I used to have a Dodge Stratus. 13 gal tank. For the last 16 months I have owned a 2013 Volt. 9 gal tank. I drive 63 miles to work (one way) every day. I was filling the Stratus up twice a week. At an average of $3.52 per gallon x 13 gal tank = $45.72. 16 months = 140 fills of the 13 gal tank. $45.72 x 140 = $6400.80 // I fill the 9 gallon tank of the Volt on average every 11 days. At 16 months this comes to 45 fills. At an average of $3.52 per gallon x 9 gal tank = $31.65. $31.65 x 45 = $1424.25 // Total savings in gas = $4976.55 // With the Stratus I would require a $55 oil change every month. $55 x 16 = $880. For the Volt I needed one $55 oil change. Total savings in oil changes = $825. Total overall savings in gas and oil = $5801.55. My average increase in electric has been $30 per month. $30 x 16 = $480. Subtract that and the final savings and I said SAVINGS of having this amazing vehicle has been $5321.55. Those are my numbers. Beyond that, I am at 40,000 miles at 16 months of owning and am at an average of 97 mpg. Only thing else I can add is that this is no golf cart. This vehicle has some serious take off and passing speed. I have some stiff in-laws so I have been meticulous on the stats. Been the best car I have ever owned."

We love it

By on Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Pros: "Great driving and it's electric."

Cons: "Could go farther on a charge with improved battery"

"Great driving. We are averaging 93mpg after 2 years."

MUCH BETTER THAN I EXPECTED !!!!!!

By on Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Pros: "FUN TO WATCH THE SAVINGS ROLL UP !!!!"

Cons: "PRICE, BUT I DID GET $7500. FED. AND $3000. STATE"

"I SAW ONE REVIEW THAT RATED THE VOLT POOR BECAUSE IT COST MORE TO CHARGE ON 220/240 THAN THE COST OF GAS IS ALL WRONG!!! I KEEP GOOD TRACK OF THE COST! MY VOLT IS CHARGED ON 110 VOLT THAT COST MORE THAN 240 WOULD!! ON A FULL CHARGE OF A LITTLE OVER 10 KW. @ MY ELECTRIC CO. CHARGE OF 8.5 CENTS PER KW = LESS THAN $1. AT NATIONAL AVERAGE OF 12 TO 13 CENTS WOULD ONLY BE A$ $1.20 T0 $1.30 . IF YOU DRAIN IT TOTAL, IT WOULD BE APROX. 15 KW AND A COST $1.27 AT MY 8.5 CENT RATE. I GET 41 TO 44 MILES PER CHARGE WHEN NOT USING HEAT, FAN OR AIR. I HAVE GONE 55 MILES ON A SINGLE CHARGE. I USE LOW GEAR [NOT REALY A GEAR] TO GET THESE MILES. THE PERSON WHO LEFT THE BAD REVIEW CAN'T GET A GAL.GAS FOR THE ABOVE PRICES AND THEN GO 40 MILES!!!"

It's fun to drive & I feel good about driving it!

By on Tuesday, April 01, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive and eco-friendly too"

"I have driven the car for 2.5 years and I love it as much today as the day we bought it. I drive mostly in EV mode, though I'm glad to have the 40mpg backup when I go past the range. I have not had any service on the car, except for an inspection and oil change. From the backup camera to the brakes, every system has worked flawlessly. This car is a pleasure and a blessing to drive."

No V8 comes close to the quiet smooth power.

By on Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Pros: "Performance of the electric drive is superior."

Cons: "Not wanting to dive my other ICE cars."

"I charge my Volt on a standard 120v charger which is standard equipment that comes with the car. There is not need for a 240v charger. The first full year I went to a gas station one time to get 9 gallons of gas for the generator which only runs when I need it. My commute is 10.5miles of hard city stop and go driving up and down the hills of western PA. last year 8300 miles cost me less than $275.. I'm very happy with that. I was back to the dealer one time to have the tires rotated. No oil changes and only one trip to the gas station. Less than $275 for total maintenance gas and electricity. I have a wattmeter on the charger that tells me how much it costs to charge the car. I agree with 128,000 SAE automotive engineers from around the world who voted the CHEVY VOLT as the BEST ENGINEERED CAR ON THE ROAD TODAY."

Great design, no flaws, low for winter driving

By on Friday, February 28, 2014

Pros: "Impressive engineering & creature comforts"

Cons: "Access & egress somewhat difficult for older folks"

"Very impressive engineering. Very comfortable with only two things missing: grab bar over the front passenger seat & quite low for access & egress. My wife has osteoarthritis & this makes it difficult for her to get in & out. The car handles very well in icy conditions & no problems in snow-packed roads. Still averaging over 60 mpg even though the gas engine runs frequently when the temps are colder than 32°. Back seat is a little short on leg room."