2014 Chevrolet Volt Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $31,465 - $32,524.

10/6.4

Based on 168 Ratings for the 2011 - 2015 models.

Can't stop smiling

By on Saturday, December 20, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, comfortable, versatile, economical"

Cons: "rear seat room, poor marketing of product"

"I've been driving for several decades and I suffer from Goldilocks syndrome, finding a vehicle I look forward to driving daily. I like the ability to solar charge my car at home while none of the range anxiety the pure electrics produce. It is a pleasure to drive, has the perfect blend of form and function. I haven't owned a GM vehicle in nearly 35 years, this brought me back. Amazing car, hope they make an CUV or SUV soon."

best of many vehicles I've owned.

By on Monday, December 01, 2014

Pros: "mileage, technology that works, unique."

Cons: ""A" pillars are a bit wide."

"I had no intention of buying this car till I drove one. I had seen a few of them but they never really appealed to me so didn't consider them to be "my" type of car, and I've had a lot of new cars. Why Chevy doesn't promote this car more is a mystery to me. I can honestly say after 6 months and 2,500 I am more impressed with it each time I get in and out it. Have Nav with backup camera, Bose, rear park sensors, leather, heated seats and chrome wheels and more. This car has rock solid build quality, good driving/ riding qualities, and is really a technological marvel. I lucked out and bought at a time when they offered no interest for 72 mos. and with the federal and stated tax credits, well that was "icing on the cake". Love the smart phone app which allows status notifications of charging,tire pressures miles driven and other things. Standard remote start is great in the cold weather. I think the people at Chevy thought of just about everything to make this an outstanding vehicle. Still waiting to give the car a test in the fairly heavy snow but talk on the forums is positive."

Far exceeded my expectations

By on Monday, November 17, 2014

Pros: "extended range. smooth electric propulsion. remote"

Cons: "lack of 5th seat"

"When I replaced by 15 year old commuter car with the Chevy Volt, cost saving was not a factor at all. I purchased the Chevy Volt because it was a technology marvel and perfectly suites my requirements. Now, more than a year later, I could not be happier with my purchase. There is absolutely no buyers remorse. How could you - when the car went 13500 miles on just 12.5 gallons of gasoline and about $400 in electricity? And maintenance? I rotated the tires at 7500 miles (free by dealer). I still have 35% oil life remaining. And as per the manual, I don't have to do any other maintenance (except tire rotations) for the next 30,000 or so miles! The car is fun to drive. Its not a sports car (0 to 60 in 8 seconds) but in local traffic, I can be far ahead of other cards because of the silent 150hp + 280 lb-ft instant electric torque. Many people think the battery is expensive and needs to be replaced every 3 years but the car comes with 8 year/a 100K mile traction battery warranty. In fact, all the electric drive components carry the same warranty! And battery technology 8 years (should the need to replace arise - its not like the battery will just die after 8 years!) will be much better to what it is today. And batteries will also be a lot cheaper 8 years from now. The only limitation I see in the volt is the lack of a 5th seat. Otherwise, this is the best electric/hybrid you can get."

Solid car

By on Monday, November 17, 2014

Pros: "great refinement solid engineer with 2 exceptions"

Cons: "91 octane required and nav system"

"We're coming from a Toyota matrix and quality is far improved with this car. We bought this used and have only had for a month so we'll see over time how the battery does. I couldn't get a Prius or any other hybrid currently on the market- the Prius and all other hybrids use the infamous CVT transmission my transmission mechanic said $8000 for any Prius with a bad transmission when our conventional Durango cost us $2500. for tranny overhaul. The volt stands alone as an electric car with gas range extender- their is a tranny- it is 1 speed direct drive with a digital clutch so much more efficient and simpler to repair than any other PHEV. The main drawbacks here are required 91octane (I called volt and asked if 87 octane is OK and they claim 87 is fine but watch for pinging. The car pinged immediately sounds like a tin can filled with rocks. Went back to 91 and engine quiet again). The only other issue is the navigation. We have a garmin and it is far better. I know the 2016 volt burns 87 octane and hopefully they fix the nav too. Overall this is a tight, highly refined Vehicle with potential for very high gas mileage around 200 mpg if always plugged in. We get about 58 mpg since we live out of town which is fantastic mileage. I can also go get the mail or drive around our 6 acre farm fuel free after plugging this in. It's a great car high recommendation."

Outstanding vehicle for almost everyone

By on Monday, November 10, 2014

Pros: "Economical, great to drive, avoid the gas station"

Cons: "Pure 4 seater, remember to recharge"

"This 2014 model is my second Volt. I have driven more than 900 miles so far and used 1.0 gal of gas. Just like my cell phone, I can drive all day, and then plug it into a regular 110V outlet at night and it's ready to go again in the morning. If your battery ever runs down, the gas powered range extender kicks in and makes more electricity! You can go another 350 miles or so, and then either recharge, or just put more gas in. Ultra modern electronics inside, and great acceleration when you hit the "go" pedal."

Car is great. 50 miles round trip on Battery

By on Tuesday, November 04, 2014

Pros: "Saves me $ on gas"

Cons: "Expensive"

"Do not like all the bangs and whistles. Would be nice to take that out and make the car more afordable"

Superb Automobile.

By on Friday, October 03, 2014

Pros: "Well engineered. Green. Great leather"

Cons: "Hard to see out the rear window."

"This car is neither your Grandfather's Electric Golf Cart, nor a Prius. Its an exceptionally well engineered automobile. It flies. Its electric motor gets you where you need to go, no matter if it is getting around town on the charge or going across country with the Generator assist. The torque is phenomenal meaning the car gets up and goes. The engineering behind this car is wonderful. As is the interior. The leather is subtle, the passenger compartment is quiet and refined. As an extra engineering bonus, when you put the back seats down, there is a remarkable amount of cargo area. In fact, I got an entire set of kitchen cabinets in it."

One of the very best vehicles I have ever owned

By on Tuesday, September 02, 2014

Pros: "great mileage,fit and finish, handling, fun to dri"

Cons: "No power drivers seat."

"I originally bought a 2013 Volt, and my wife hated the black, so after 20,000 miles in 10 months, I decided to get her favorite color, white. We never had the '13 back to the dealer, except for an oil change, minor maint. great car no problems at all. scale of 1-10, i give it a 10.No one would ever believe the trade I got for it. With all rebates, credits, EPA rebate, suppliers discount, GM rebate,I could not keep a car with 20,000 miles on it, so i traded. Cost was about $150.00 total for a new car with no miles on it. '14 Volt is in the same category, no problems at all, great car. My wife drives it most of the time, and always has the air on high, or heater on high, and doesn't know how to be economical, but we still average over 149 MPG. We have used 67 gal of gas for 10,000 miles. Our gas purchases went from $350-$400 a month to around $100. Pays for itself in gas savings. I highly recommend this car to anyone that likes to thumb their nose at the gas refineries."

My favorit car

By on Thursday, August 28, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive and one time tax credit"

Cons: "no spare tire small air comprssor to fix flat"

"I love this car! 68 mpg lifetime. 142 mpg on this last tank of gas. My electric bill did not go through the roof. It costs about $1 a charge. Most of my driving can be done in electric but when I run out of electric car goes seamlessly into gas mode. On a trip last summer when I could not charge I still got 40mpg driving at highway speeds of 75mph using the AC. When lease is up I will be leasing another."

First Chevy I've owned in 30 years

By on Thursday, August 21, 2014

Pros: "Smooth and Quiet. I love avoid the gas station"

Cons: "No back seat, need to improve generator efficiency"

"Pros: This car is an amazing breakthrough in technology. Electric drive cars have a much smoother and quieter acceleration that gasoline cars. It is really a pleasure to drive this car. My average MPG has been over 100 with about 2/3rd of the time on the battery and 1/3rd of the time on the generator. Electric cars are the future. They are cleaner, better for the environment, less costly to run, and better for our economy because electric power is domestically produced. Cons: They need a hard cover for the trunk area and it would be better if the card didn't have a big divider between the two back seats. Also more leg and headroom in the back would be better. Power adjustable seats in the front would be better. Whenever you have a large electric motor there is some EMF created. I measured it and it is not too bad but GM should take care to shield the cabin more. Long term EMF exposure is somewhat of a concern for me. GM should also consider using a skate board chassis that they pioneered and that Tesla uses. Not that it matters much for overall efficiency since people tend to use the battery about 2/3rd of the time and the generator about 1/3rd of the time but if GM increase the efficiency statistics when the car is running on the generator this would help with marketing. They need to hit the critical 50 MPG mark. Finally, GM might consider going to the EPA with their statistics and asking them to allow the true OVERALL gasoline mileage statics on the vehicle instead of the MPG for just the gasoline generator. The vehicle probably average over 70 MPG. This is what GM should be advertising and the EPA should allow this. The government wants more of these vehicles sold and the higher mileage statistics would help appeal to the customer. Otherwise the consumer gets 38MPG stuck in their head."

Fantastic driving experience

By on Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Pros: "Fuel efficient, fun to drive, best styling"

Cons: "4 seats, poor promotion"

"I like my 2013 Volt so much I bought a second one. The Volt is all around a great car. Average gas mileage has been about 150 MPG when factoring both gas and electric usage. Went on a couple of long trips just on gas and got around 38 MPG. But it is best around town and short trips where we use almost exclusively electric. When going for test drives at different dealerships, no one had a Volt with a charge. They obviously do not know how to promote this car or realize what they have."

Sporty, lots of torque and fun fun fun to drive.

By on Saturday, August 09, 2014

Pros: "Only get 7 gallons of gas about every 6 weeks."

Cons: "Only four seats"

"I'm averaging 123 miles per gallon after 39,000 miles. Had to rent a gas car on vacation in another city, wow, what a reality check, gas cars are doomed. Once you get used to the smooth effortless power of electric you'll never want a gas car again."

A glimpse into the future

By on Saturday, August 09, 2014

Pros: "Economy, Reliability and Driving experience"

Cons: "Sales persons not knowledgeable about the Volt"

"We have had our 2014 Volt for close to 6 months now. 93% of our driving has been pure EV, with the gasoline range extender only having been used infrequently on days we drive over 50 miles. Our average fuel economy to date works out to 416 MPG if you factor in the gasoline it has used. More importantly, with an EV - we monitor Kwh used per 100 miles, and to date we average 28 KwH/100 miles. We drive about 1000 miles/ month with the Volt, and average commute to/from work is around 30 miles round trip. The Volt has been 100% reliable. It has not been back to the dealer, had any service or problems since we own it. It hasn't made any trips to the gas station yet either! We find the car is very comfortable up front. I am 6' plus and over 300# and find the driving position very good. The back seats are tight, but even a big guy like me has squeezed in there for short 30 minute trips and been fine. The back seat is just fine for kids or smaller adults. Storage with the hatch back is great. This is our second car. We have a big chevy Tahoe for long family trips when we travel with kids and the dogs. The Volt is not made for this. However, for the average commuter driving to work daily or running errands around town - the Volt is simply brilliant. We have a grid tied solar PV array on our roof, and knowing I can charge the battery with surplus electrical power I generate puts a huge smile on my face. The car has very good acceleration, thanks to all that torque from the electric motor. Handling is solid and sure footed. Being such a heavy car it does very well in rain and slushy roads. The brakes are outstanding and I love the fact that you can select how much regenerative force they provide. Overall we are extremely satisfied with the Volt. A car like this needs to fit your lifestyle to be fully appreciated. Sure they are not inexpensive, but then purchasing any vehicle is never about making a sound financial choice....it is a convenience and an emotional purchase. For us, with a small family and lots of pets, the Volt makes a perfect second car since we already have a large family hauler in the fleet. Conclusion....we love our Volt...and can't wait to see what the new 2016's will bring."

Glides through traffic like "Liquid Lightning"

By on Sunday, August 03, 2014

Pros: "Great savings on gas. Super smooth, fast, fun!"

Cons: "Hands-free Siri wasn't yet available on the 2012."

A fun vanity plate for your EV is always a plus!

"Super fast, fun ride. Great economy. I work only 12 miles from home, so I rarely run on gasoline, but it's great peace of mind to know my car will effortlessly shift to gasoline should I run out of juice on my battery. I've owned my 2012 since April 2012, and so far (August 2014) I've only put in 34 gallons of gasoline. It's costing me between 30 and 50 cents a day to recharge the batteries. I have a 220V Blink unit in my garage and it typically charges in 2 to 4 hours. I purchased the 5-year extended Warranty. I love the premium package with the seat heaters, 3 years of OnStar and roadside assistance. Actually love EVERYTHING about my 2012."

A fun vanity plate for your EV is always a plus!

I want this car!!!!!

By on Wednesday, July 30, 2014

I want this car

Pros: "Great looking, comfortable, reliable, good on gas."

Cons: "Only holds 4 people."

"I love this car. Someone in my family owns this and I would love to get one too. They love it especially with the gas prices that we have now.... Love it and it is very comfortable car."

Excellent Value after Rebates

By on Tuesday, July 08, 2014

Pros: "$$$ savings, great accel for what it provides"

Cons: "Getting in/out slightly awkward for tall people"

"After National ($7500) and State ($3916) Rebates paid only $23500 for this car (of note, was a show model, bought with about 3800 miles, vs similarly packaged cruze listing for around $24000). Have owned it about 1 year, had one mechanical issue that was resolved quickly. Similar in size to the Chevy Cruze, but with leather interior, NAV and all the other bells and whistles, the Volt came out far ahead in financial calculations. At .08 cents a KWH, it costs me about $1 to go between 25 and 40 miles depending on the time of the year. Approx 1/4 the cost of gas. The design interior went futuristic with what appears to be touch sensitive plastic for the center console, did not like this hence the 8 on design, but outside of that, interior is nicely done. Comfort took a hit as I am 6'5", I found it took a little extra effort to get in and out of the car, but once in, I fit very nicely with room to spare. Was able to get a passenger in the front seat that was 6'8" and another passenger in behind him on a trip, while not ideal for long trips, it is doable for rides under 2-3 hours. One of my favorite perks.... typically has about 8 gallons of usable gas before the low fuel alert comes on, I have been getting between 650 miles (winter) and 2400 miles (Summer) between fill-ups, saving time at the gas station. Of note, the majority of my driving does fit into the electric range of this vehicle, the engine will also kick in occasionally (to keep the engine warm) despite having electric charge remaining when the temp goes below 25F, and the car is rated 37mpg on gas power although I have obtained closer to 43mpg when on longer trips with cruise control set at 65mph. Would check with the State and Fed first to see if the rebates are still available, and if so, how much.... IL is not the only state that offers a rebate."

Cant imagine owning anything other than a volt!

By on Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Pros: "Not worrying about gas prices."

Cons: "Nothing"

"This car has delivered on everything I had hoped for. I spend 90% of the time on the battery. I love that I can take long trips if I want and not worry about finding a charging station because the gas gen takes care of me, or have to own a second car, or rent a car. I think Chevy got it right with this car."

Dealership's don't carry the tire for a VOLT.

By on Monday, June 23, 2014

Pros: "saves gas, but so would a sub compact."

Cons: "flat tires are EXPENSIVE"

"Not sure if it's a problem with the type of tire. First two years I had no tire problem. This year, I've had to have it towed 3 times due to flats. The fix-a-flat would not hold in any of the flats I had. The problem with no spare is that I've had to stay in a hotel over night. In the most recent case, the dealership could not get the tire till the next day. I missed two days of work and had a hotel stay on top of the tire cost. Should a dealership carry at least one tire for any kind of car they sell? what happens when they decide to stop making this type of tire?"

My Fav Car Ever!

By on Monday, June 23, 2014

Pros: "Total cost to own is low, very fun to drive"

Cons: "Small, some controls are a little complex"

"It's a great price/deal if you factor in the rebates and fuel savings. Do the math - FAR better than a hybrid. Those 40 electric miles I get every day fill most of my miles at about 100 mpg equivalent. I love the way it drives - much sportier than I expected. It's quicker and handles better than any non-sports car I have ever owned, and quieter, too. Even when it uses gas it only uses it to power a generator, so it is technically always running on electricity - no loud shifting of gears! The technology and computer console is impressive and fun. This is small car that fits me perfectly, but tall or large people may feel differently. Although the quality of construction feels high, I had to give it an 8 on reliability but I confess this is based on my anti-Chevy bias. It's reliability for the past 4 years looks strong and I am hoping my first Chevy will have a repair record similar to my Toyotas and Hondas. Be smart with your research and you will want this car! OK, got to go drive it now...somewhere...anywhere..."

an excellent match for my driving situation

By on Saturday, June 21, 2014

Pros: "i have not added gasoline since 2003"

"why does gm not advertise this car. It is a great design"

Love this car

By on Saturday, June 21, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, economical"

Cons: "doesn't run as well when gas kicks in- but not bad"

"I just drive around town so mostly on electric miles. I have only bought gas once in 6 months!"

LOVE IT, ONLY SEE THE GAS STATIONS AS I DRIVE BY!

By on Sunday, June 15, 2014

Pros: "Who needs gas, NOT ME!! great in snow & ice"

Cons: "It is very low to the ground."

"I have had this vehicle for just about one year. I am a commuter and spend two hours a day in this car. I love it. I have put on 17000 miles since I bought it one year ago, and have only visited the gas station a total of 7 times (this was only during the really cold winter, none in the summer), and have only paid about $70 dollars worth of gas total. I have not seen an increase in my electric bill like they said I may. I drive in to the city from the country and have not had any problems driving in snow or ice, even with the low clearance, it has just plowed right through it. My husband and I were worried about the initial output of money to purchase, but we have since figured out even with the higher car payment we are saving almost $800 dollars a month (no I'm not joking or exaggerating). Even with this car being an electric, it has get up and go. I never have to worry about getting up to speed to get on the highway (I have a lead foot, and it keeps me very happy), though the faster you press the car, the less charge you get from it overall.I would recommend this car to anyone who is looking to get away from the gas pumps."

I'm FUMING MAD concerning the AMAZING Chevy VOLT!

By on Wednesday, June 04, 2014

Pros: "Responsive, Silent, & Rarely Buy Gas!"

Cons: "Aren't as many on the road as there should be."

"This car is a huge environmental breakthrough. We have had this car since Sept 2013 and have yet to buy gas. We charge it up with the 110 Volt We live on a hill and within a drive of a few miles our range quickly rises from 41 to 54 miles (which we assume is tops). After running our errands we return home with very little reduction in range from when we departed, usually about 37 miles. Almost Never having to buy gas should go a long way towards people making their car payments. So, I'm mad that Chevy isn't advertising the Volt more. I NEVER see ads for them. I'm mad that some idiot reviewed the Volt and said it cost him $400/mile to drive and that other people are so anxious to forward such nonsense. I'm mad that people are driving their gas hogs and expecting everyone else on the planet to pay for their greediness and pollution. Wise up and buy a VOLT. The VOLT is part of the solution. We LOVE our Volt."

GM delivered exactly what they promised in 2007

By on Monday, May 26, 2014

Pros: "Great Price after rebates! Fun to drive. NO GAS!"

Cons: "None yet."

"Back in 2007, GM promised us a car that would go 40 miles on electricity, and then a gas generator would kick in for another 300 miles. They claimed this would cover a vast majority of commuters in all-electric mode. I wasn't able to afford the Volt when it was first released in 2011, but now as the owner of a 2014 Volt, I can say that GM delivered on that promise! I am so happy with my Volt. It does exactly what it promised. I commute 31 miles to work, plug in at work, and then 31 miles home again...not a drop of gas. The Volt has all the best technology and creature comforts. It really is a pleasure to drive. The best part? I needed a new car, but didn't want to spend a lot of money. In 2014, the MSRP is $35K. I purchased mine for $30,800. With a federal tax credit of $7,500 and Illinois rebate of $3,500, I end up paying less than $20,000 for a brand new ultimate EREV! If I couple in the gas savings over the next few years, the story gets even better. For the money, I can't imagine a better vehicle. Things I would like to see in the future: - heated seats on every model (not as an option) - heated steering wheel - by 2020, a battery with double the range. Go drive one of these. Put it in sport mode and stomp on the accelerator! This car is hands-down the most fun to drive of any vehicle I've owned. I have never in my life actually looked for reasons to drive a car. But I truly enjoy slipping off to the store for milk in complete electric silence. Advice: - Negotiate on price...you can probably do better than I did - Take advantage of rebates/tax credits (Illinois also has rebate for installing 240V chargers). - Try not to drive above 65 if you can avoid it (but you still get 37mpg if you run out of juice) - Use L instead of D, and you'll regenerate a lot more. If you're on the fence...do it! You'll be glad you did!"

12 days in the service department first 5100 miles

By on Friday, May 23, 2014

Pros: "Interior"

Cons: "Reliability"

"I bought a volt in October of 2013, and immediately it had a CEL for charging system coolant failure. 3 days later I get my car back after driving it only 1 day and was told I must have used the brakes too much. 5000 miles later it is back in the shop for another CEL for charging system coolant failure. 9 days later they replace a coolant pump for the charging system and hope they have it fixed. Who knows."