2014 Chevrolet Volt Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $31,379 - $32,641.

10/6.4

Based on 187 Ratings for the 2011 - 2015 models.

Absolutely the finest car that I have ever owned!

By on Sunday, June 30, 2013

Pros: "MPG, Reliable, Eco-friendly, Sound System = A+++++"

Cons: "For this size and type of car ... no "cons"."

"This car is outstanding! Nicest car I have ever owned (and I've owned a Prius, Corvettes, Volvo convertible sport car, Alpha Romero, etc.). When I purchased the Volt, I received five years of free "On-Star", regular maintenance (with loaner car), and emergency road service. With the $7,500 tax credit, it was totally worth the price! I have 10K miles on the car and am getting 145+ miles per gallon. I've used 68 gallons of gas since I bought the car new. I am a left-leg amputee and this car has more leg room for me than some large sedans. Wonderful craftsmanship and attention to detail. The concert quality sound system will blow you away!"

ONE OF THE BEST CARS I'VE EVER OWNED

By on Monday, July 20, 2015

Pros: "MILEAGE, ACCELERATION, HANDLING"

Cons: "ONLY FOUR SEATS"

"I GET UP TO TWO MONTHS ON A TANK OF GAS, 100 TO 200 MPG, THEN WHEN I FILL IT UP IT'S 8 PLUS GALLONS. THE CAR IS NIMBLE, HAS GOOD ACCELERATION AND HANDLES GREAT. I LOVE IT. ALSO IT IS HANDS DOWN A BETTER LOOKING CAR THAN THE PRIUS I OWNED PREVIOUSLY. ONLY DISLIKE IS IT ONLY SEAT FOUR. I'M LOOKING FOR A 2016 SINCE THEY WILL SEAT FIVE."

avg250+mpg

By on Wednesday, July 15, 2015

"lease up hate to give it back"

No V8 comes close to the quiet smooth power.

By on Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Pros: "Performance of the electric drive is superior."

Cons: "Not wanting to dive my other ICE cars."

"I charge my Volt on a standard 120v charger which is standard equipment that comes with the car. There is not need for a 240v charger. The first full year I went to a gas station one time to get 9 gallons of gas for the generator which only runs when I need it. My commute is 10.5miles of hard city stop and go driving up and down the hills of western PA. last year 8300 miles cost me less than $275.. I'm very happy with that. I was back to the dealer one time to have the tires rotated. No oil changes and only one trip to the gas station. Less than $275 for total maintenance gas and electricity. I have a wattmeter on the charger that tells me how much it costs to charge the car. I agree with 128,000 SAE automotive engineers from around the world who voted the CHEVY VOLT as the BEST ENGINEERED CAR ON THE ROAD TODAY."

Most fun driving ever!

By on Sunday, August 25, 2013

Pros: "quick, green, handling"

Cons: "could use a bit more soft materials in interior"

"Almost looked past the Volt, as have never been a GM fan- but wanted great mpg and needed it to be quick/smooth- not a Prius type hybrid boring drive. Volt is the best ever- a mini-Tesla. Love the fact it still runs as an electric car even when battery is depleted and gas engine runs battery generator. Smoothest, most quiet car ever and is not lathargic like most hybrids. Test drive one and you will be sold."

First Chevy I've owned in 30 years

By on Thursday, August 21, 2014

Pros: "Smooth and Quiet. I love avoid the gas station"

Cons: "No back seat, need to improve generator efficiency"

"Pros: This car is an amazing breakthrough in technology. Electric drive cars have a much smoother and quieter acceleration that gasoline cars. It is really a pleasure to drive this car. My average MPG has been over 100 with about 2/3rd of the time on the battery and 1/3rd of the time on the generator. Electric cars are the future. They are cleaner, better for the environment, less costly to run, and better for our economy because electric power is domestically produced. Cons: They need a hard cover for the trunk area and it would be better if the card didn't have a big divider between the two back seats. Also more leg and headroom in the back would be better. Power adjustable seats in the front would be better. Whenever you have a large electric motor there is some EMF created. I measured it and it is not too bad but GM should take care to shield the cabin more. Long term EMF exposure is somewhat of a concern for me. GM should also consider using a skate board chassis that they pioneered and that Tesla uses. Not that it matters much for overall efficiency since people tend to use the battery about 2/3rd of the time and the generator about 1/3rd of the time but if GM increase the efficiency statistics when the car is running on the generator this would help with marketing. They need to hit the critical 50 MPG mark. Finally, GM might consider going to the EPA with their statistics and asking them to allow the true OVERALL gasoline mileage statics on the vehicle instead of the MPG for just the gasoline generator. The vehicle probably average over 70 MPG. This is what GM should be advertising and the EPA should allow this. The government wants more of these vehicles sold and the higher mileage statistics would help appeal to the customer. Otherwise the consumer gets 38MPG stuck in their head."

Outstanding Vehicle!!

By on Saturday, September 28, 2013

Pros: "Low operating cost, smooth ride, good nav/radio."

Cons: "initial cost."

"This car has the amenities you need, like GPS, link to IPhone, remote control apps for your phone, park assist, heated seats, XM radio, and backup camera. The cup holders, 12V plugs, and storage spots are well thought out for common devices. While only having 2 back seats, they are as comfortable as the front and I often plug in to the 12v and work in the back seat on road trips with others driving. The car is smooth and quiet at all speeds. While fairly expensive up front, the operating cost around the city on electric, where you would ordinarily get your worst gas mileage, is good if you drive conservatively. The same holds true on the highway; it gets good mileage 43-53mpg on road trips. Using the cruise control and drive steadily helps; even while on trips through the mountains in WV. Most of the time we run it on electric around town are fill up ever 1.5-2 months."

Chevy Volt is a Great Car

By on Sunday, August 04, 2013

Pros: "Electric Range, Quality, Driving dynamics"

Cons: "Little expensive till rebate, No Back seat Air vnt"

"I was looking for a new car and the final run off was the Ford Fusion Hybrid / Energi and the Chevy Volt. I am glad that I would up with the USA Volt. I have yet to fill up the gas tank 3 months after buying the car. Over 400 mpg. AMAZING commuter car. I am just using the 110 charger both at home and at work and running almost 100 % electric."

First 1000 miles

By on Wednesday, April 20, 2011

"So far the Volt has exceeded our expectations. We have used just 1.18 gallons of gas in the first 1000 miles. If you factor in the cost of electricity we are still close to 200 mpg. The car has run flawlessly thus far, no bugs or software glitches. The ride is smooth and very quiet, like driving on a cloud. GM is very attentive to the Volt owners and has assigned a Volt Advisor who checks in monthly to be sure everything is OK and that there are no questions. They solicit feedback as well for changes/improvements. Probably more than most new vehicles, the Volt's value will depend upon your driving style and the range you drive in. Keeping it charged and in EV mode will bring the best return value. If overall cost is your main concern, a used car or more typical high MPG compact is probably a better choice. But if you want to drive the most interesting and technically advanced vehicle available, try the Volt. We love it!"

2013 VOLT is the best vehicle I have ever owned!

By on Friday, December 27, 2013

Pros: "Up to 47 miles of EV range in Summer w AC"

Cons: "Winter Heating drops EV range to 32-35"

2013 Chevrolet VOLT - Topaz Silver/Black Leather 5 Door Sedan

"I took my first step into PHEV ownership on August 17, 2012 when I took delivery of a new 2013 Chevrolet VOLT (Silver Topaz/Black Premium). My 46 mile round trip commute was eating up $65.00/week in premium fuel in my 2011 Infiniti M37. As I was debating my alternatives, the executive in charge of my company’s fleet told me that he’d been driving a 2012 VOLT for several months and was incredibly impressed with the vehicle. What got my attention were his comments on build quality, the incredibly quiet ride and the electric vehicle range; on some days he got almost all the way home (60 miles) on a charge! That got my attention. But at over $43,000 MSRP (before GM reduced by $5,000 near end of the model year), I was not attracted by the high cost of acquisition (almost $600/month). So I waited for the right lease deal. So far, I’ve spent $6,300 to drive 14,004 miles, or $.45/mile: $4,200 for lease payments, $1,000 for insurance – both of which are normal costs for mid-market ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) vehicle. The savings are clearly made up in fuel ($465 gas & electric) and maintenance ($25). OnStar Diagnostics reports 3,127 kWh were used to drive 12,937 EV miles. I’ve tracked my monthly home electric utility bill since switching to the PEV rate at $.104/kWh deriving total EV miles driven at a cost of just $325. If you add in the Lv2 charger ($629), my EV fuel cost is $954 ($.07/mile). Gasoline ($139) is for post delivery purchases, excluding the ‘free’ tank of gas from Chevrolet. Amazingly, I have reduced my fuel consumption cost by 75% in total or $1,366! That’s equal to almost four months’ lease payments! Add in the residential electric savings ($363) and that’s 5 months free lease payments. IF you include costs avoided, the VOLT total cost of ownership is $4,562 or $.326/mile. The 2013 Chevrolet VOLT is the best vehicle I have ever owned! That’s a big statement from someone who worked in the auto industry, and has driven and owned so many vehicles. Yes it has some things I hope VOLT 2.0 addresses (inefficient heater core which sucks the life out of the battery, loosening up some of the 40% battery reserve to extend range to 50-75 miles per charge). But for my particular driving purposes it is nearly perfect: a metro area commute, limited need to carry back seat passengers and plenty of room for luggage, groceries and Costco trips. This is a well designed, well built (shout out to GM D’HAM Vehicle Assembly Plant) and nicely appointed vehicle which is just very rewarding to drive. You simply cannot underestimate the psychic satisfaction of the driving experience of a Chevrolet VOLT until you own one."

2013 Chevrolet VOLT - Topaz Silver/Black Leather 5 Door Sedan