• 10 Best Hybrid Cars Under $30,000

2013 Chevrolet Volt Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $36,332 - $37,430.

10/6.5

Based on 139 Ratings for the 2011 - 2014 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25

Most fun driving ever!

By on Sunday, August 25, 2013

Pros: "quick, green, handling"

Cons: "could use a bit more soft materials in interior"

"Almost looked past the Volt, as have never been a GM fan- but wanted great mpg and needed it to be quick/smooth- not a Prius type hybrid boring drive. Volt is the best ever- a mini-Tesla. Love the fact it still runs as an electric car even when battery is depleted and gas engine runs battery generator. Smoothest, most quiet car ever and is not lathargic like most hybrids. Test drive one and you will be sold."

Glad I waited and glad I bought it

By on Tuesday, March 12, 2013

"I was interested in this car when I first heard about the concept in about 2006 or so. When it was time to replace my 1996 Chevy Cavalier 165,000 miles the Volt was not available so I went with the Honda Civic hybrid. I was satisfied with the car and unlike some averaged 47 miles per gallon with it. When the 2013 Volt came out with the "Hold" feature I thought I would take a look since my commute is 42 miles round trip with a two mile long 10% grade hill. The version I picked had a sticker price of almost $42000. Wow, but with the $7500 federal rebate, $3500 state rebate, about $3000 off the sticker price, $2000 cash back from Chevy, and 0% financing the deal was tough to pass up. $26000 is not that much more than a similar equipped Camery and the like. The car drives great. So far the best range I have gotten is 50 miles on days with the high temperature around 60F and the worst range has been 35 miles with high temperature around 20F. The total energy usage (gas + electricity) so far has been between $40 per month in November to $50 in January traveling about 1,000 per month. Yes it might not break even for a very long time compared a Honda Fit but these cars really can't compare. Saying the Volt will not make up the price difference over a $15000 car might be true but it's is not a $15000 car."

Best Car Ever

By on Thursday, December 05, 2013

Pros: "The car will pay for itself."

Cons: "No "DC fast charge" capability."

"Here is the best thing anyone could say: If the car were to get totaled, I would DEFINITELY buy another Volt. After owning the car for 20 months, I have over 41,000 miles, 28k+ on electric. I do a 900 mile trip about every 6 weeks. Did my first oil change at 40k miles. Saved about $2500 on gas the first year. Performs well in snow. Anyone I meet that owns one is absolutely giddy about the car. Electric bill went up about $6-$8 per month utilizing Illinois' "Residential Real-Time Pricing" plan. Cheap overnight charging. Unless on a trip, only use about 2 gallons of gas per month. Being a 2012 model, the usable battery is 10.3 kW (2013/14 models have 10.8kW). After all my use, I still get 10.1 to 10.2 kW of use before the gas engine kicks in. Not much degradation there. In the summer, I average 50 miles to a charge. When the temp is around 40, I average 40 miles to a charge. Below freezing, with the heat and defrosters going, 25-30 miles to a charge. On gas, I get 41-45 MPG hwy and once got 50 MPG while driving super conservatively. I get 39 MPG hwy while towing a small trailer. About 38 MPG city."

Pays for Itself

By on Tuesday, December 03, 2013

Pros: "Pays you to drive it"

Cons: "Becomes a 40 mpg hybrid for long trips."

"KBB is being unfair to call the Volt expensive. You can get a new Volt for $26,685 with fed tax credit ($34,185 without). That's exactly in line with the average new car sale price in the USA, currently. (google it) I'm literally saving $2,000/year on gas (i.e. $10K in 5yr!). My electric bill went up by $30/mo. The external wall-mounted charger that Chevy offers is not made by Chevy and yes it has issues(that some reviewer below complained about) is NOT the charger that people in the know buy. Everybody is buying the Clipper Creek LCS-25 charger, which is very rugged. I have the LCS-25 and it's awesome. Take other comments (like center console issues) with a big grain of salt: statistically the Volt has proven to be above average reliability. In particular, powertrain problems are very very rare. My Volt has given me zero problems. The only other car I'd buy is a Tesla (but it's out of my price range at present. There was a slightly misfit panel on the car where it met the bumper, when I got it. I got that realigned; all's perfect now."

after buying cars for 40 years .. VOLT is the best

By on Monday, October 21, 2013

Pros: "Smooth Quiet no shifting effortless POWER."

Cons: "Window switches are touchy for my big fingers."

Snow on the outside preconditioned inside...no engine smoke

"Smooth quiet power no ICE can match. Bought my White Base Volt on Dec 22, 2012 and have not been to a gas station since. The car has been flawless. I now agree with over 128,000 automotive engineers from around the world who voted the Chevy Volt as the best engineered car on the road today. After 3 years I still don't see a real competitor. I hear about a lot of concept cars. I paid $22,900 for my Volt after rebates."

Snow on the outside preconditioned inside...no engine smoke